Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How do you work the "STOP" buttons on the bus. watch

ReputationRep:
    You get your keys, Ply the button out and then proceed to take the spring out behind it once this is done thus proceed to pop the button back into place.

ReputationRep:
    lol fair enough if you hav't got a bus before and don't know how it works. but don't call the driver stupid

ReputationRep:
    What do they teach in schools these days? :facepalm:

Troll senses tingling... but the correct answer is "Do a barrel roll" which everybody else here helpfully overlooked :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    You just simply press the stop button when you want to get off but not too late better earlier so the bus driver knows he needs to stop. Wouldn't you have seen other people on the bus pressing the stop button before they got off? How hard is it getting a bus? lmao

ReputationRep:
    Your first time on the peasant wagon?

Rode one with Tarquin once after we'd been out on the lash. Smelt of proles and poverty.

ReputationRep:
    Ohmygo- when even facepalming doesn't do it. Motivational poster it

http://thehunterandthegatherer.files.../stupidity.jpg

ReputationRep:
    Woah, woah, woah. :hand: Questions about public transport is one thing, but what to do with a button?! Faith in humanity: lost. :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lukejoshjedi)
    Ohmygo- when even facepalming doesn't do it. Motivational poster it

http://thehunterandthegatherer.files.../stupidity.jpg
    If only I hadn't used my reps up already

Also this facepalm works...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stacks)
    Not necessarily. I used to live in the middle of nowhere. It'd be at least a ten or fifteen minute walk to get to the main road for me and then I'd have to flag a bus down. Had a couple of instances where the drive would just drive completely past me. So for practical reasons it was easier for my mum just to drive me to work.

I still can't use buses properly... Had an hours walk from hospital one day cos I couldn't tell if the buses went through the city centre :x
    You're clearly an idiot.

ReputationRep:
    You need to press the button shortly before your stop so the driver has time to stop. If you really don't know where your stop is, ask the driver to call out the stop (the uni bus drivers in Southampton call out the main bus stops for the first couple of weeks of term so the freshers know where to get off) or tell him where you want to go and stay standing up near the front.

On the bus timetable it should tell you what the main bus stops along the route are, so you know roughly when it's going to stop.

ReputationRep:
    Same thing happened to me first time I used a public bus. I thought the driver would stop at every bus stop in case someone wanted to get down.

We are the lucky ones who have never had to use public buses. they are truly quite s***.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cheesecakefactory)
    Same thing happened to me first time I used a public bus. I thought the driver would stop at every bus stop in case someone wanted to get down.

We are the lucky ones who have never had to use public buses. they are truly quite s***.
    You've clearly never used buses in Cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AidanLunn)
    The bus driver has far more important things to remember while driving than your stop. At rush hour, how do you expect him to remember everyone's destination on a busy bus?
    I presumed it would feed into a computer when you buy a ticket and so it automatically tells him where to stop like some kind of auto bell system..

Man buses are like stepping into 1950s britain.

ReputationRep:
    Push it just a few meters before a stop, the driver will love it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by my_username_was_taken)
    I presumed it would feed into a computer when you buy a ticket and so it automatically tells him where to stop like some kind of auto bell system..

Man buses are like stepping into 1950s britain.
    That's probably because that might be a bit too complex and costly for bus manufacturers. Buses cost at least a couple of hundred grand for a new single-decker. They have to conform to safety standards while cutting costs to a minimum. Add to that, they have to be reliable, as it can be many years until a bus operator can get a penny back from buying that bus.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by my_username_was_taken)
    i had to go on a bus today. I found it confusing as i've never been on one before in my life and after seeing the bus driver go past my stop i got confused. I assumed as i bought a ticket stating to where my destination was that he would stop there, but the dumb bus driver didn't....then i heard noises like ringing noises and saw "stop" buttons and put two and two together and realised you were supposed to ring this bell when you want to get off. I thought these buttons were buttons incase you had an accident, for example if you are in severe pain you stop the bus immediately just like in disabled toilets where similar buttons get help for you.

Anyway after this epiphany i still was confused how to use the button. When do i actually press it? Do i press it just before the stop? Right after the next stop? Roughly in the middle between the two stops?

I don't want to do this wrong and mess up my journey again as it was embarassing today when i had to get a taxi back from the end stop of the bus home.

Please don't take the mick if this sounds naive or something, it's just i've never had to use a bus. I've always had lifts from family members to take me everywhere or failing that, paid for a taxi or got a train.

Thanks for any help
    omfg you are so cute.

I don't even care if this is a troll.

:rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harrifer)
    You're clearly an idiot.
    Well it's not like they come with instructions on how to use them. I've never lived in the city before so I've never had any use with them.

I just walk everywhere anyhow. I don't see the point of buses unless you're travelling a sizeable distance or need to get somewhere faster than walking.

ReputationRep:
    Brilliant!

ReputationRep:
    No offence OP but if your IQ was any lower you'd need watering

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 23, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.