Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How do you work the "STOP" buttons on the bus. watch

ReputationRep:
    I don't get how people can never go on a bus before. I used to go all the time on buses with my Grandparents because neither of them drive, and they would take me out on trips during holidays.

So yeah, about 200m before your bus stop should be fine. And someone also said that he walked an hour because he wasn't sure whether they went through the city centre? Just flag them down and ask!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stacks)
    Well it's not like they come with instructions on how to use them.
    I can tell you, there are some serious mongs that travel around on the buses.

they manage to work it out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alharrison4)
    What do they teach in schools these days? :facepalm:
    Most people learn this from their parents when young I guess as i've never needed to use a bus then i've thus never known it.

ReputationRep:
    Lame

ReputationRep:
    If it's a small gap in between stops, I press the button in the middle of the two. If it's a bigger stop, I press it as we approach my stop.

ReputationRep:
    Wow... Think I take living in London for granted...buses are everything for me. Saying that, I never need to press the bell. I get off at popular stops so 99% of the time it has already been pressed...I hate touching bus furniture!
    Just imagine you were driving- how much notice would you need in order to signal and pull over safely?

ReputationRep:
    I think the OP is trolling, but when I was little - and my only experience of buses was on school trips - I thought the stop buttons instantly stopped the bus for emergencies.

Feel free to take the piss...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    I think the OP is trolling, but when I was little - and my only experience of buses was on school trips - I thought the stop buttons instantly stopped the bus for emergencies.

Feel free to take the piss...
    yeah but that's understandable :o: I thought that too.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by shamim2k9)
    But if you press it too many times the bus driver goes proper ape.
    This. Or if someone presses it and no one wants to get off. Some buses do stop automatically at some stops before the end of the route, such as in town centres. Until you know if this is the case on the bus service you're on and where these stops are, you're best off using the button every time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    You've clearly never used buses in Cambridge.
    I have.

Would be infinitely better if they had some kind of Oyster-like system, so you didn't get stuck at the station for hours while hundreds of tourists try to pay for a ticket to King's college (where buses do not go) with £20 notes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    I have.

Would be infinitely better if they had some kind of Oyster-like system, so you didn't get stuck at the station for hours while hundreds of tourists try to pay for a ticket to King's college (where buses do not go) with £20 notes.
    Don't even get me started on Reading buses correct change only, and they don't make it easy. its never a solid pound or 50p. The buss drivers are more than willing to take your hard earned money. All because they were thieving on the job

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    I have.

They do now! Well, sort of - it appears to be optional and still requires you to interact with the bus driver, but it can speed things along.

I was referring more to their leather seats and wi-fi. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    They do now! Well, sort of - it appears to be optional and still requires you to interact with the bus driver, but it can speed things along.

I was referring more to their leather seats and wi-fi. :yep:
    Things have changed in the 18 months since I was there

ReputationRep:
    Push the button as song as you know your stop is coming up, within good time of course.
    If you don't know where the stop is, like if it's someplace new. Just ask the driver.

ReputationRep:
    If you found that difficult just imagine how you would have got on in the old days when there was a cord that you had to pull. They had that in the old routemaster buses.

*Sigh* I really miss routemaster buses, they were fantastic.

Sorry dude, this made my day ****ing funny!

ReputationRep:
    lots of lemmings in this thread !!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheFatController)
    lots of lemmings in this thread !!!!!!!

one more to the list :p:

ReputationRep:
    I didn't understand this either as I never needed to take a bus until I was like 17. Fortunately for me the first few times I was getting off at the end of the route or a popular stop, and I had a chance to observe what people did in order to get off at other stops.

People are being way too harsh on the OP saying they're "spoilt" or stupid. It's very easy to go through life never having learned this. I come from a town with an incredibly **** bus service that no one I knew ever used, and when we visited other towns we went by train. So I simply did not have any bus-taking experiences in my life. It's unreasonable to expect people to just psychically know something that they've never been taught.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thru sun and rain)
    Don't even get me started on Reading buses correct change only, and they don't make it easy. its never a solid pound or 50p. The buss drivers are more than willing to take your hard earned money. All because they were thieving on the job
    THIS.
    As if a return every freaking school day for 7 years + plus town trips wasn't enough; I don't even wanna THINK about how much extra they got off me.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 23, 2011
Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.