Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have heard that they require you to have A*'s and A's at GCSE's.

Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    It's not a requirement & use the search function.

ReputationRep:
    :facepalm2:

They like you to have some A* and A at GCSE. They do not require you to have all A* and A at GCSE (with the exception of medicine, which nobody has a snowball's chance in hell of getting an offer for unless their application is exceptional, to be honest) although it's better to have as many A* and A as you can manage. I am pretty sure there will be someone on TSR who got an Ox or Cam offer with those exact GCSE scores; it's all about the UMS at AS, the performance at interview and the performance on entry papers.

If English is your second language and this caused you significant problems with education (were you learning English from scratch while also doing your GCSEs, for example?) you may also be eligible for the CSAS, which would help with grades even more

ReputationRep:
    Your GCSE's are fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kerily)

They like you to have some A* and A at GCSE. They do not require you to have all A* and A at GCSE (with the exception of medicine, which nobody has a snowball's chance in hell of getting an offer for unless their application is exceptional, to be honest) although it's better to have as many A* and A as you can manage. I am pretty sure there will be someone on TSR who got an Ox or Cam offer with those exact GCSE scores; it's all about the UMS at AS, the performance at interview and the performance on entry papers.

If English is your second language and this caused you significant problems with education (were you learning English from scratch while also doing your GCSEs, for example?) you may also be eligible for the CSAS, which would help with grades even more
    I couldn't agree more. I've seen people without any A*'s at GCSE with offers; there's much more to the admissions process than GCSE grades! Please will the OP do at the very least some research before even considering Oxford or Cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    sooooooooooooooooo depressing that english isn't your first language and your GCSE results are better than mine :blush: serious rep to you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kerily)

No, I didn't learn English from scratch so I'm guessing it didn't hinder my education significantly; the difference in the education system was quite a big change for me too.
    I'm hoping to study the exact same course you're doing by the way. And you're results are by far the best I've seen well done! With competition like you, I'm getting quite worried.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daiana)
    No, I didn't learn English from scratch so I'm guessing it didn't hinder my education significantly; the difference in the education system was quite a big change for me too.
    In that case, I doubt you'd have a case for the CSAS. But it's worth asking your referee to mention the difficulties you experienced in your reference, because it might mean that they see you a bit more leniently.

I'm hoping to study the exact same course you're doing by the way. And you're results are by far the best I've seen well done! With competition like you, I'm getting quite worried.
    Thankyou But don't worry about my GCSE grades/etc; I realise I have millions of A*, but to be honest, they're only interested in your mathematical ability (and thus UMS scores/interview performance) with maths. Someone with an A* in history at GCSE applying for maths doesn't really have an advantage compared to someone with a B in history at GCSE applying for maths. While it's obviously best to perform as well as you can, don't be intimidated by other applicants - only people with scores they aren't ashamed of put them in their signatures, so you don't see all the oodles of people who didn't get a lot of A* or whatever.

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.