Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

EPQ; Need parents permission for research? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello

I'm currently doing EPQ for childrens literature, as i'm creating a fable, anyway I needed to go into some local primary schools to gather some research on what stories they liked etc...and I emailed the schools stating what I wanted to do, asking whether it would be ok etc...

I visited the primary school that replied and did my research, and now I'm currently writing the report, however one of my teachers asked me if I got the parents permission for using their children for research BEFORE i went...obviously I didn't as well i've already done it, and she only told me this afterwards...

Now she's saying I might lose marks for this, however surely it was the Primary schools responsibility, if they needed parents permission wouldn't the primary school have told us this, they never mentioned anything about this and it was all fine....

So I'm asking whether i was legally supposed to get permission, whether this was my fault or the schools (bearing in mind the school might have asked parents permission without us even knowing!) or whether this teacher is just making a big fuss out of nothing!

Cheers guys xx

ReputationRep:
    If possible I would try and get in touch with the parents to get their permission before submitting it. Just to be on the safe side.

ReputationRep:
    I have just spoken to my mum (she's a governor so she knows quite a bit about this and that) and under the data protection act the school couldn't have given us the names/addresess of the parents for us to contact them and gather permission. also we wouldn't need a police check as we are under 18 (least i think thats right) and we were NOT taking any photos etc, and we made our intentions clear with the school like what we were asking the children so it is the schools responsibility whether they got permission or not....

Feel free to correct me if this is incorrect

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.