Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I want to change my last name watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Thread title. It's my dad's name and i absolutely HATE IT AND HIM!!!
    We don't libe togetehr anymore thank God as he's a useless sperm donor. God knows where my mother found him. He never taught me anything about how to be a man. My first day in scholl my tutor at the time taught me how to tie a tie during one lunchtime.
    So yeah would that be allowed by the government? I want it to be my mum's maiden name to be my surnname in all areas of my life such as passport bank account e.t.c because i live with her and i love her and want nothing to do with my dad EVER!!!

How much would it cost?

ReputationRep:
    http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/...ge_of_name.htm
    plus cost is £40 I believe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thru sun and rain)
    http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/...ge_of_name.htm
    plus cost is £40 I believe.
    Thank you my dear

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Silver Arrow)
    Thank you my dear
    np.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Silver Arrow)
    Thread title. It's my dad's name and i absolutely HATE IT AND HIM!!!
    We don't libe togetehr anymore thank God as he's a useless sperm donor. God knows where my mother found him. He never taught me anything about how to be a man. My first day in scholl my tutor at the time taught me how to tie a tie during one lunchtime.
    So yeah would that be allowed by the government? I want it to be my mum's maiden name to be my surnname in all areas of my life such as passport bank account e.t.c because i live with her and i love her and want nothing to do with my dad EVER!!!

How much would it cost?
    It's free.

You find the wording online (here ), you put it into word, fill out the correct details, print it and sign it along with a witness or two. Send that off to the passport people with a form and correct payment (something like £70ish), wait, get new passport.

I can say this works because I did it. The only cost was the new passport, all the online change of name websites are just scamming you for something you can do yourself.

edit. That's if you're in England, Scotland has different rules.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by White Trash)
    It's free.

You find the wording online (here ), you put it into word, fill out the correct details, print it and sign it along with a witness or two. Send that off to the passport people with a form and correct payment (something like £70ish), wait, get new passport.

I can say this works because I did it. The only cost was the new passport, all the online change of name websites are just scamming you for something you can do yourself.

edit. That's if you're in England, Scotland has different rules.
    True in theory but you'll possibly encounter some problems if you ever decide to move abroad, and I've heard of banks being funny about it. I have every intention of permanently moving to Norway after I've finished my degree so I got the 'official'(-looking) document and had it witnessed, signed, registered and notorized by a Notary Public (special solicitor) aswell as changing my passport, driving license, et cetera. I think a printed out word document might have caused some difficulties, and I believe many governments (especially in non-EU countries, such as Norway) require a solicitor for it to be considered a legal change. Anyway, just a consideration.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Einheri)
    True in theory but you'll possibly encounter some problems if you ever decide to move abroad, and I've heard of banks being funny about it. I have every intention of permanently moving to Norway after I've finished my degree so I got the 'official'(-looking) document and had it witnessed, signed, registered and notorized by a Notary Public (special solicitor) aswell as changing my passport, driving license, et cetera. I think a printed out word document might have caused some difficulties, and I believe many governments (especially in non-EU countries, such as Norway) require a solicitor for it to be considered a legal change. Anyway, just a consideration.
    I dunno about moving country mate but it's not exactly a common thing for most English people so the deed poll might be fine for the guy. I looked into getting a solicitor to do a special form for me and it was over £100 so I thought **** that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by White Trash)
    I dunno about moving country mate but it's not exactly a common thing for most English people so the deed poll might be fine for the guy. I looked into getting a solicitor to do a special form for me and it was over £100 so I thought **** that.
    Pretty much half the population of Spain are English pensioners. Who knows he might get an amazing job offer abroad or marry a foreign woman? I'm just saying that it's something for consideration.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.