Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello my fellow Adult Nursing Students!

I am currently in Second year and in my 4th placement out of 6- the end is fast approaching!

I've come on here to get opinions from anyone else who is at the similair stage to me.

I feel as though the further I am getting into my training the more nervous I am feeling prior to placements because I know that more will be expected of me.

Sometimes I feel reluctant to ask questions about those silly little things such as where an everyday piece of equipment may be kept. All the staff are aware of where these things are and I sometimes get the impression I am wasting their time.

Other days I feel really positive about how everything is going and this boosts my confidence but I do seem to have it knocked quite easily.

Usually, by the end of placement I am really confident and I think it's usually down to getting to know the ward and the people but I find it a real struggle at the start and I'd like to know whether I'm the only one who feel like this or if it's normal?

ReputationRep:
    You certainly arent the only one, I for one am similar.

I think the beginning is more just fear of the unknown, until you get settled in it can be hard to know whats expected of you and it can take a while to just get back into the swing of things. I know on my previous placement (In Nov) i hadnt been on a ward since July and everything felt a right shambles but it soon comes back to you.

Dont worry about asking where things are or the questions you feel are stupid, the chances are they arent and its always better to know for certain than just guess.
    Thing is with placement, just as your time is up is when it starts to feel like you're settling in...then its time to up and leave.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.