Turn on thread page Beta

Fractured Wrist - To get cast or not to cast watch

ReputationRep:
    Two weeks ago I hurt my wrist playing Hockey (got hit with stick etc), didn't think much of it at the time but was still heavily swollen a week later. Decided to go to A&E just to be on the safe side. Turns out I fractured my Ulnar bone, however I had nearly full functionality of my wrist, just hurt a-bit.
    They (the hospital) wanted to put a cast from my hand over my elbow up to midway up my bicep. As I have A-levels this summer and now on easter holidays (my school likes to be different) I refused treatment as i'm 18, for the purpose of needing to write etc. As I can't revise without writing.

I have a fracture clinic appointment tomorrow; and don't really know what I should do... Im sure my wrist is broken, and hasn't repaired much, should I get a cast and sacrifice revision which could lead to me not getting into Uni, or just carry on with a wrist splint, taking it easy?

Any thoughts / advice?

ReputationRep:
    Well I would ask your doctor tomorrow their opinion of how it will heal with you doing that etc..
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I would discuss all of this at the fracture clinic, as they can help you work round it and discuss all your options. Also, talk to your school - they might be able to give you things like a writer in exams. Surely you can just type things up rather than write them? Not having your wrist heal up properly might be permanent, not getting into university is fixable even if you take the long route around.

ReputationRep:
    Man up!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lantana)
    I would discuss all of this at the fracture clinic, as they can help you work round it and discuss all your options. Also, talk to your school - they might be able to give you things like a writer in exams. Surely you can just type things up rather than write them? Not having your wrist heal up properly might be permanent, not getting into university is fixable even if you take the long route around.
    Yeah, I thought about getting a scribe for my exams, but the problem is that maths and physics are predominately algebraic, and require steps. I find it hard to think mathematical steps through without writing them down. :mad:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Alex.Stevens)
    Yeah, I thought about getting a scribe for my exams, but the problem is that maths and physics are predominately algebraic, and require steps. I find it hard to think mathematical steps through without writing them down. :mad:
    As I said, talk to your school and see what they can do for you. I'm sure you can write with your other hand enough , albeit really badly, to do that on scrap and then dictate that?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 23, 2011
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.