Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What universities get the least amount of applications? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Just out of curiosity, what unis get the smallest amount of applications?

ReputationRep:
    is this for applying next year? 'cos you could check whats in clearing this year and see as they're the ones who have spare places.
    Normally ex polys/ polys i'd say though- not because they're bad but i've found people tend to go with older unis

ReputationRep:
    The least applications, or the least applications per place?

ReputationRep:
    The least amount of applications:
    University of Buckingham

ReputationRep:
    I think the ex-polytechnic/post 1990/not-so-reputable universities may get quite a lot of applications too, because for a lot of people their entry requirements are the only ones they can meet.

I'd say around a third to a half of the people who applied to uni from my college will probably end up at places like UCLAN, university of Cumbria, Edge Hill, Liverpool John Moores, Manchester Metropolitan, because judging by the results in January, they will be the only places that will take them.

ReputationRep:
    I imagine that Aberdeen doesn't get many, I have a vague memory of there being a few courses with very low entry requirements, even though the department is alright, just because it's so far away from everywhere.

ReputationRep:
    Lincoln has received far fewer applicants this year compared to last haha

ReputationRep:
    Oxbridge has very few applications per place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chrislpp)
    Will from The Inbetweeners killed them off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tango189)
    Will from The Inbetweeners killed them off.
    Yes that was the joke :facepalm:

gawd

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mpanda)
    Just out of curiosity, what unis get the smallest amount of applications?
    The smallest numbers of applicants through UCAS are for higher education courses in further education colleges. Oxford & Cherwell Valley College had three applicants this year (to 15th January) down from 8 last year.

The smallest number for anything recognisably like a university is from the smallest school of London University (i.e. an institution comparable with King's, LSE, UCL and SOAS) The University of London Institute in Paris with 114 applicants.

The smallest actual university in UCAS is The American Inter-Continental University with 186 applicants.

The smallest stand alone institution with British degree awarding powers is BPP University College of Professional Studies with 455 (but it has many thousands of post-graduate students who don't apply through UCAS).

The prize for the smallest true university with British degree awarding powers is also our newest university: The University of the Highlands and Islands with 658 applicants.

Someone suggested Buckingham. Buckingham is a giant with 816 applicants.

Applications at Lincoln have fallen by 4.5%. It has held up fairly well compared with LSE down 8.7%, Warwick down 8.9%, Exeter down 14.4%, Edinburgh down 15.3%, Aston down 18.3% and Brighton and Sussex Medical School down 18.4% (these are just illustrations , there are other significant fallers)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    The smallest numbers of applicants through UCAS are for higher education courses in further education colleges. Oxford & Cherwell Valley College had three applicants this year (to 15th January) down from 8 last year.

The smallest number for anything recognisably like a university is from the smallest school of London University (i.e. an institution comparable with King's, LSE, UCL and SOAS) The University of London Institute in Paris with 114 applicants.

The smallest actual university in UCAS is The American Inter-Continental University with 186 applicants.

The smallest stand alone institution with British degree awarding powers is BPP University College of Professional Studies with 455 (but it has many thousands of post-graduate students who don't apply through UCAS).

The prize for the smallest true university with British degree awarding powers is also our newest university: The University of the Highlands and Islands with 658 applicants.

Someone suggested Buckingham. Buckingham is a giant with 816 applicants.

Applications at Lincoln have fallen by 4.5%. It has held up fairly well compared with LSE down 8.7%, Warwick down 8.9%, Exeter down 14.4%, Edinburgh down 15.3%, Aston down 18.3% and Brighton and Sussex Medical School down 18.4% (these are just illustrations , there are other significant fallers)
    Hi, I remember those figures...source?

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I remember those figures...source?
    http://www.ucas.ac.uk/documents/stat...full_jan11.xls

Select the fourth tab.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.