Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,
    New here and would like to know something. When i was 17 i did my driving lessons and now im 20 years old. Im yet to pass my test cause for some reason i gave up taking lessons for 3 years but now i am re-doing some next month. Before i gave up i had done around 28 - 30 hours of driving and went to two major towns near me, the instructor said i was pretty damn good and he was confident to take me through to the practical after my theory which i had only just passed this month. What i would like to know is how many lessons do you think i would need to get used to the road and manoeuvres again. Im pretty good at driving on the road its just the manoeuvres really and i have a 1h 1/2 (1 Hour 30 Minutes) lesson next month to get me used to it again. I haven't got much money as i am unemployed so yeah, How many lessons do you think i shall need?

Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    its hard to say when you havent drove in 3 years.. see how you do after 3 - 4 lessons and go from there.

everyone is different..

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I did something similar. I started lessons at nineteen, and took a break of around a year before getting back to it. I was surprised by how much had stuck with me - I managed not to stall on the first lesson, all the basics had stuck.

It still took around another 15 hours of lessons to pass though, as the little things had gone.

Also, your theory test (assuming you did it three years ago) is now invalid - you'll need to do it again.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the quick responses.

For me driving is easy and the manoeuvres will probably come back because i can still remember what my instructor said to me on how to do manoeuvres, I'm quite a fast learner tbf so I hope it wont take many. In response to the theory, I have only just passed cause I never did it three years ago lol

ReputationRep:
    If you are unemployed why are you learning to drive? Surely your money would be better spent getting yourself a job?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fwed1)
    If you are unemployed why are you learning to drive? Surely your money would be better spent getting yourself a job?
    You could argue a driving license makes you more employable

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Morganb804)
    You could argue a driving license makes you more employable
    Fair point... I retract my original statement

ReputationRep:
    The answer to your question is this:

I live in the countryside with nothing around but country roads and the nearest town to me is 20 miles away so i am trying to get my licence so i can get to a job alot more easier as no buses come to our part. I have money i have saved but its not enough for another 20 hours and i have to pay for the practical which will take a big chunk out of my savings.

ReputationRep:
    It should come back fairly quickly. But a driving instructor may want you to have more than a couple of lessons before letting you use their vehicle for the practical exam (if that's what you're intending to do). It really just depends on the instructor, some want to get as many lessons out of you as they can, others want to see you pass.

EDIT: Another option is if you live with someone who owns a car and is happy to help you can get insured on their car and have them take you out to practise. I originally started learning with an instructor, who was pretty useless and milked it for the money, then ended up practising in my brother's with him or one of my parents supervising.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the response.

My instructor is an ex-police officer and the first lesson i had with him, he was really impressed apparently and every lesson i finished he was very impressed. I know him really well and we get along, chat, laugh etc. And my sister learnt to drive with him aswel so hes no stranger. Last couple of lessons we were struggling what to do because i had done everything that needed to be done. He is very eager for me to pass my test so i hope a few more lessons to get to grips again and i should be fine. I used to drive at a young age aswel (Private land, Farms) in landrovers and anything we had to drive, My favourite being the montego estate 2.0L turbo diesel so what i had learnt from that i used in the lessons which helped alot.

*EDIT IN RESPONSE TO YOUR EDIT* My father has said i could but the thing is with him is he is extremely impatient and has very bad road rage and he shouts an awful lot so i dont think its wise going with him. My instructor is calm and relaxed and is a pretty cool instructor.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry if I sound rude, but there's no point asking random people on the Internet how many lessons you'll need. Only you and your instructor can work that out. Id say spend an hour on each manoeuvre, one hour practicing the little things examiners are strict on, then have a mock test and see how you do.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Hunglikeamuuule)
    Hey guys,
    New here and would like to know something. When i was 17 i did my driving lessons and now im 20 years old. Im yet to pass my test cause for some reason i gave up taking lessons for 3 years but now i am re-doing some next month. Before i gave up i had done around 28 - 30 hours of driving and went to two major towns near me, the instructor said i was pretty damn good and he was confident to take me through to the practical after my theory which i had only just passed this month. What i would like to know is how many lessons do you think i would need to get used to the road and manoeuvres again. Im pretty good at driving on the road its just the manoeuvres really and i have a 1h 1/2 (1 Hour 30 Minutes) lesson next month to get me used to it again. I haven't got much money as i am unemployed so yeah, How many lessons do you think i shall need?

Thanks in advance.
    Its hard to say how many lessons you will need as everyone is different and it depends on how much you have forgot and how much you remember. Have a couple of lessons and see where you go from there.

ReputationRep:
    Learning to drive is an investment in your future. Like a lot of other things, it isn't worth cutting corners (no pun intended). I've lost count of the number of times I've been at my local test centre and overheard test candidates saying "I only just failed, if only I'd just put in a bit more practice".

Your instructor will need to assess how many lessons you need, as to a large extent you can't really judge that for yourself. You may feel confident that you're doing things well, but an examiner may see it differently
    It depends when you can get a test booked for aswell. If you can't get a test for another 6 weeks, then that may change the number of lessons you take. The main thing is that you need to go in to the test situation warmed up, having taken some practice in the days leading up to it. I advise against doing a couple of lessons now, thinking all is well, then going for your test 6 weeks later. Hardly ever works.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fwed1)
    You can pay to get jobs these days :O

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheCurlyHairedDude)
    You can pay to get jobs these days :O
    You can pay to do classes to make you more employable.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the responses. I feel pretty damn confident doing manoeuvres, I can still remember how to perform them and as I have said I'm pretty good at driving aswell. I have a 1.5 hour lesson in April and my instructor said we shall perform ALL manoeuvres so this is a kind of a good sign that he has confidence in me to perform ALL manoeuvres in 1.5 hours but my lesson is literally local as everything I need is within my village. I have already been to my major town which is Cheltenham and Swindon and he said I did exceptionally well. All that there is wrong now is I suppose nerves on the actual driving test, driving as I said isn't a problem its just I do not for the life of me know my way around Cheltenham or Swindon as its not my local town's and my local town has everything I need to shop so this new independent driving will be tough.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.