Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have a 2:1 from a very good university
    and have now got a paralegal position with a high st firm in the family dept
    i will be doing the lpc along with that part time
    im curious about whether i will be forever stuck in the high street or is there scope to secure a training contract with a mid size firm that also does family/private client etc or move into a firm like this once I am a qualified solicitor?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hibiscus)
    I have a 2:1 from a very good university
    and have now got a paralegal position with a high st firm in the family dept
    i will be doing the lpc along with that part time
    im curious about whether i will be forever stuck in the high street or is there scope to secure a training contract with a mid size firm that also does family/private client etc or move into a firm like this once I am a qualified solicitor?
    There is no reason why you should not move on to a larger firm.

However I struggle a little with your definitions.

Mid-sized firm means different things to different people. To a lot of the people on these threads an 80 partner firm would be mid-sized. However, 85% of law firms have fewer than five partners. What do you mean by mid sized?

Very few family and private client firms are not High Street (or at least were High Street within the last five years or so before moving out to a business park) except in the more well-healed parts of London.

ReputationRep:
    yeah i guess i'm talking about those firms in the 'well healed parts of london' firms like payne hicks beach, withers, boodle hatfield etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hibiscus)
    yeah i guess i'm talking about those firms in the 'well healed parts of london' firms like payne hicks beach, withers, boodle hatfield etc
    There is no reason why you should not get an assistant solicitors' post with one of these, provided that the work you do elsewhere bears a resemblance to the work they do i.e. divorces with money and assets and stake, private law contact and residence disputes including those with international elements.

They are unlikely to be interested if you are doing public law children cases, legally aided divorces or low value fixed fee private law divorce work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    There is no reason why you should not move on to a larger firm.

However I struggle a little with your definitions.

Mid-sized firm means different things to different people. To a lot of the people on these threads an 80 partner firm would be mid-sized. However, 85% of law firms have fewer than five partners. What do you mean by mid sized?

Very few family and private client firms are not High Street (or at least were High Street within the last five years or so before moving out to a business park) except in the more well-healed parts of London.
    *Pedant Alert*

well-heeled, shurely?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chalks)
    *Pedant Alert*

well-heeled, shurely?
    Oops!

Surely you are aware of the solicitors of Harley Street!

ReputationRep:
    hmm thanks for this
    i've always felt like i could do better than work at a high street firm but haven't been able to secure anything. i have good academics but i stupidly didn't apply for vac schemes as i wasn't sure i wanted to pursue the law at the time
    but in the current job market where people who have passed the lpc are doing paralegal work it seems like it's worth taking any opportunity that comes your way right?

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.