Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Anime Society 5: Tentacles For All! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Truered)
    I'm not sure quite what happened, but I've noticed in the last few months (possibly even a year) I've become a lot more harsh when it comes to rating anime. My watched list has a mean of 7.7, and on-hold 7.4 but whereas before I'd be more quick to hand out 8's and possibly a 7 to middling shows, now I seem more prone to handing out 7's or even 6's. My last two ratings have been a 6 to the Nuku Nuku OVA and a 4 to an OVA I watched called Capricorn (from AJ's guessing thread).

Like I said in the preview thread I seem to have a lower tolerance for trash/crap nowadays, and I want more of a return for my investment :mmm: It's odd as back during '07-'09/10 I'd normally watch anything I could get either on DVD, or later while airing.
    I run an average score of 6.2 for watched titles, but I'd say a still have a fairly high tolerance, even appetite, for trash. And also for the crushingly mediocre and repetitive. I mean, I cycled the original Pretty Cure through my favourites list for a while a few months ago, and I would give that at most a 5.

I believe when you sit down and think about it, genuinely good material -- to use a criterion an acquaintance came up with, 'stuff I would recommend to someone I would have a conversation with' -- is just rare.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    *mumbles about confusing ratings out of 10 - even with higher scores in the same sentence/paragraph, brain can't help but automatically read scores of 4 - 5 as being really high*

After a mini-marathon over the past week, I'm now a couple of eps behind on One Piece again. I'm still not sure whether I'd be able to watch it weekly though, so I'll probably stall it again and wait for the next arc to finish. :yes:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Ben-to's premise is so ridiculous, it's hilarious. That alone is sufficient enough reason to keep it on. :giggle:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon's and Maji de Watashi ni Koi Shinasai's second episode were average at best. I'm willing to keep both of them on for another few episodes, but during this time they need to offer something more enticing otherwise I'll place them on the stalled list. While the characters in both aren't necessarily bad, none of them appeal especially, nor has the plot in either really amounted to anything yet. I'm not expecting a great deal from the latter, but given the interesting premise for Horizon, I'm still remaining mildly optimistic for this one.

On the other hand, Mashiro-Iro Symphony's second episode was precisely what I was expecting and I enjoyed it. Yes, it's very formulaic and generic, but that's precisely why I like it. I'll admit that I'm a stickler for a simple eroge/harem romance like this. It's not great, but it's perfect to watch each week without having to think much (ideal after work).
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Oh yeah, regarding Bakuman (was half contemplating posting this in its own designated thread, but figured there's little point reviving it when it's unlikely I'll be posting about this series too much), I liked the added drama/romance in episode 2. While many seem to detest the romance aspect of the series, of which I can acknowledge due to the way it was handled in season 1 (can't speak for the manga) and that many are primarily watching this for the manga creation, I feel the romance provides an added dimension to the series that would otherwise have minimal variation (there's only so much inking and attending meetings at the magazine's offices that I can stomach, however interesting the industry might seem to ignorant eyes). So, as expected, I'm definitely planning to watch this one through.

ReputationRep:
    Ben-to was amusing :lolwut: these people full on fighting it out for discount food.:s: Just learn to cook.:no: But I dont know if I would watch it since so much time was dedicated to certain characters thighs.:indiff:

New Hunter x Hunter wasnt bad. I preferred gons old voice. This one isnt annoying or anything but it sounds a bit more standard shonen. Whereas the old voice just made gon seem like a nice boy.:puppyeyes:
    (Original post by Aiko)
    Oh yeah, regarding Bakuman (was half contemplating posting this in its own designated thread, but figured there's little point reviving it when it's unlikely I'll be posting about this series too much), I liked the added drama/romance in episode 2. While many seem to detest the romance aspect of the series, of which I can acknowledge due to the way it was handled in season 1 (can't speak for the manga) and that many are primarily watching this for the manga creation, I feel the romance provides an added dimension to the series that would otherwise have minimal variation (there's only so much inking and attending meetings at the magazine's offices that I can stomach, however interesting the industry might seem to ignorant eyes). So, as expected, I'm definitely planning to watch this one through.
    :sad:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by vin)
    :sad:
    That's not to suggest that I don't watch Bakuman primarily for the manga aspect, it's obviously what the series is about, first and foremost, it's just nice to have some variation (and romance is always a good subplot device).

ReputationRep:
    :rofl: One Outs 24 Good man Tokuchi
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I wondered what would happen if they accidently threw the bat at a pitcher but he did it on purpose to scare the hell out of him.:rofl:
    :unimpressed: Thats what you get for deliberately trying to injure him.

EDIT: you mother ****er running into him :mad:

ReputationRep:
    I've decided to be a naughty Truered and splurge on a manga series for the first time in a while:

The Drifting classroom 1-11. The whole series (unless wiki is inaccurate) and a horror manga from the 70s. Hopefully it should be horrific and good- I'm expecting slightly below Uzumaki horror based on a google search :mmm:

Was thinking of getting the first half, but amazon had most at one or two left in stock (used TBD) so I decided to get them all rather then end up with half a dead series, as they were released way back in 2006 (Skip beat released later, has had 3-5 volumes I need out of stock for over a year so far :emo: )
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Just say the first two episodes of Persona 4: The Animation, and I thought they were great so far. Crisp animation, great seiyuu (apart from Teddie, he kind of wore on me, I much preferred the english voice actor in the game as opposed to this one). The characters looked alright and I thought the animation looked nice - really reflected the style of the game. Bit flat at times and towards the fight, production obviously dipped, but it didn't bother me too much.

The opening and the general scene staging was great. The digitalising of everything, the colour style persona excels in, and the theme of information all come out great. Opening was very good and the original sound track worked great. I can't really complain, they have done a great job of translating the game to anime. Its a bit of a weird thing to watch as obviously the pacing is very different seeing as all the sim aspects are taken out, but they have done well and I am interested in how they manage the calender without creating pacing problems. Judging from what they have done so far, I think they could pull it off.

Hopefully though, the fighting will be fleshed out more. As a JPRG there is obviously large elements of battles, which I think they showed well but it was a bit too minute and the animation dropped.. Of course they won't have 30 minute battles but they should show off the Persona. Though I have a feeling, this will be shifted toward the mystery/thriller side of the game - not that I would complain, the story was great.

So overall I am pleased so far :cute: I eagerly await more - I think it is one of those shows that will get better with time.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Facticity)
    So overall I am pleased so far :cute: I eagerly await more.
    I ruled out watching this because I know absolutely nothing about the game franchise it's based on. Given your positive reaction to the first episode, is it necessary to have prior knowledge? Moreover, Trinity Soul was pretty lacklustre, adding to my reluctance this time around as well.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Aiko)
    I ruled out watching this because I know absolutely nothing about the game franchise it's based on. Given your positive reaction to the first episode, is it necessary to have prior knowledge? Moreover, Trinity Soul was pretty lacklustre, adding to my reluctance this time around as well.
    Hmm, well each game is standalone so none of them have any relation to each other so you don't even need knowledge of the franchise. I wouldn't say you need to have played the game, everything is explained in the anime. But I guess, there is a certain je ne sais quoi about seeing a game come into an anime which does make it much more interesting. The problem though, is that Persona is such a detailed game, that without having played it, it may seem to jump or have inexplicable situations which would have been fleshed out in the game but in the anime, for obvious time issues, need to be glazed over. I noticed this even as someone who played the game and thought it was a bit odd meaning, someone who hasn't played the game, will think it to be puzzling.

Many characters which would have had no significant parts apart from comedic effects will appear odd, and even useless, to people who have no experience of the game however, almost every recurring character will have a significant part in the story. This will be a lot more noticeable in the anime as of course, if characters aren't much use until later in the story, it can seem a bit confusing and clumsy. Also, the lack of build up in a game-turned-anime is noticeable, if you haven't played the game; it might seem a bit jumpy. Further, without the detailed dialogue and development time allowed for by the game, which allows for the story, characters, intention, motivation and powers to be fleshed out, the anime can get confusing. Just from watching, I can see how without playing the game, one would think (despite it being fictional) that the story is far out or just doesn't agree.

People may also not like the animation. To be honest, I think the animation was crisp and I loved seeing characters come to life but there were telling signs of quick work. Things like odd gradients on the faces or the backgrounding at parts, which works on a PS2 game but on an anime, in this day and age, may seem out of place. Things like the BGMs work perfectly in the game and really give it flavour but in the anime may seem random or out of place. There are quality shots all over but at places it dips into the shadows and the fight scene as I pointed out before was not done too great.

The game received massively positive reviews, one of the best games on PS2 to date - however, one issue was the sow pacing. In a game, slow pacing can still be alright because there is such a huge wealth of things to do. However, in the anime, this will put people off as characters may seem useless, stereotypical and people will make odd deductions - if I hadn't played the game there are a few things I would have thought were obvious or cliché and judging from the reviews, others agree, however, they would be completely wrong. I have seen a couple reviews say the story or characters are obvious but honestly they have all been wrong. I can see why they think what they do, its not their fault the game detail translated slowly into an anime but I think the director should have addressed this.

Lastly, the main character will make a lot of people facepalm quite epically. In the game he is meant to be a blank slate, only personalised and characterised by your decisions and you often have numerous options as your words and actions have consequences meaning you mold the character how you wish. In the anime, this most definitely wouldn't work. I picked up on this in the anime myself; the main character seems at one point to be an extremely boring teenager, at other times he is rampaging with his Persona. I think there lies a major issue for people who have never played the game, as the MC will seem random.

I have written a lot more than I intended, got a full review going, so I'll wrap this up. Overall, I think the anime will get better as the story, characters and themes are fleshed out, however, I think it will put many people who have not played the game off. I have read some reviews by people who haven't played the game and kept thinking that all their issues are settled in the end, but obviouly by then, the anime could have lost a large chunk of viewers. So I guess, if you have played the game, there will be a nostalgia and excitement about seeing a game come to life and the detail of the game helps you fill in gaps, almost unconsciously, and overlook any obvious flaws however, if you have not played the game, it will be a mix - you will absolutely love the freshness or hate the oddity. This almost review of mine makes it sound like a bad anime, but as I said, there is a certain je ne sais quoi that makes it really appealing for fans of the game and it has enough class to draw in people with no experience of Persona. So I can say for sure you can watch it without prior knowledge, however, whether you will like it, is anyone's guess

ReputationRep:
    Watched the second episode of Hunter x Hunter. While not mindblowing, it was still enjoyable enough, and the vague whispers I've heard indicate the show will get more exciting as times passes.

The only thing is I just don't get Miyuki Sawashiro as Kurapika. Both episodes now (I'm forgetful :emo: ) I've ended up going to wikipedia, certain that "he" is one of those characters initially mistaken as a male (the character design doesn't help either).
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Aiko)
    x
    Oh, my essay above makes it sound as if you will not like it if you haven't played the game, but that wasn't how I intended it to come across. Rather I was just pointing out some things one recognizes if you really scrutinise between the game and anime. I'd highly recommend you watch it as I really enjoyed it and know people who haven't played the game who equally loved it. As I said its a mixed bag, I think you should give it a try at least and after if you're not sure, keep going for a while; as I think it will definitely get better as it goes :yes:

ReputationRep:
    I think the romance in bakuman would be better if that girl was a less boring character.:huff:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Oh, my essay above makes it sound as if you will not like it if you haven't played the game, but that wasn't how I intended it to come across. Rather I was just pointing out some things one recognizes if you really scrutinise between the game and anime. I'd highly recommend you watch it as I really enjoyed it and know people who haven't played the game who equally loved it. As I said its a mixed bag, I think you should give it a try at least and after if you're not sure, keep going for a while; as I think it will definitely get better as it goes :yes:
    Wow, suffice to say, I certainly didn't expect such a comprehensive and detailed reply, so thank you for that, it was highly informative.

I can acknowledge and appreciate that an adaptation of a popular game franchise like Persona will primarily attract, and arguably target, the fan base belonging to it, hence why I initially chose not to watch it (or at least, not weekly). It does seem, based upon what you've written, that this might be the case. Nonetheless, I'll watch the first episode at least and decide from there. It's unlikely that I'll watch it weekly considering I've currently picked up 18 other series, even after culling a few, from this current season, but at the very least I may choose to watch it after it's finished airing.

Thanks again for the thought out response, it's refreshing and welcomed to have someone post like that on here, and admittedly, your enthusiasm and effort has prompted my decision to try this anime above all else.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Guilty Crown is probably my most anticipated anime series from this season, mainly because of the interesting premise and the beautiful animation I saw from its PV (Production I.G, after all). I would say that the opening episode met my expectations overall, but the underlying feeling that I've seen this all before did linger at the back of my mind somewhat, even though I do not necessarily consider this a bad thing given that I enjoy the cliches present. The idea of synchronising with your partner reminded me of Elemental Gerald, while the premise of liberating Japan was very reminiscent of Code Geass, complete with a resistance group, mecha and the main character acquiring some mysterious power from a pretty girl. :giggle: Still, this is only the first episode, with much to be revealed that may stray from convention. Needless to say, definitely a keeper.

ReputationRep:
    I would agree with this, but there're times where I had to read the wiki article of the game to explain certain drawbacks of the anime for example it wasn't until I realised that the protagonist in the game was a character you develop yourself that I understood why the character in the anime had no personality.

It's good so far though, makes me want to play the real thing to see how it's like.

ReputationRep:
    Time for more [email protected] :awesome:

Edit: Now caught up on the last 4 weeks.

ReputationRep:
    Europe and US shonen jump is ending. http://www.animenewsnetwork.co.uk/ne...end-next-march not that it makes a difference to me since i only read it like once 6 years ago :hmmmm:

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.