Turn on thread page Beta

The Anime Society 5: Tentacles For All! watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liquidus Zeromus)
    So far I'm enjoying Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei. It must be liek the funniest anime ever :awesome: Currently up to episode 4.

Also, having read the Mirai Nikki manga and really enjoyed it, I'm following the anime too. So far, I think the voice acting and animation really adds to it.
    I loved SZS! I did find it difficult to watch at times though, because I tried to read the background texts (on the blackboard) and would have to pause from time to time. But it is a very good anime! I kind of got bored of it after the second season though, it wasn't as funny anymore.

If you want another comedy, I'd recommend Arakawa Under the Bridge! It will make you go WTF but it made me laugh so many times.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ella37)
    I loved SZS! I did find it difficult to watch at times though, because I tried to read the background texts (on the blackboard) and would have to pause from time to time. But it is a very good anime! I kind of got bored of it after the second season though, it wasn't as funny anymore.

If you want another comedy, I'd recommend Arakawa Under the Bridge! It will make you go WTF but it made me laugh so many times.
    Oooh, I'll consider it :beard:

ReputationRep:
    Macross Frontier: Wings of Goodbye is out and on its way.

In the mean time, I'm watching a low quality raw and OHGOHGODFHGOHDGOIHDFIGHODGHOIDHJ SOIAJDOAJ.

Easily some of the best visuals I've seen in a while.

ReputationRep:
    Finished Watching Legend of the Galactic Heroes : Overture to a New War. Really clarifies the what happened during the first battle of the series and what went on before it. Those higher ups :no: such fools.:sad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vin)
    Finished Watching Legend of the Galactic Heroes : Overture to a New War. Really clarifies the what happened during the first battle of the series and what went on before it. Those higher ups :no: such fools.:sad:
    I think Overture to a New War is pretty neat, and deals with some of the weaknesses of the first two eps of the main series. And I love the bombastic classical music in the battle scenes. Actually, I love the approach of LoGH's soundtrack in general: why bother composing new music when you can cherry-pick from a whole centuries-old musical tradition?

ReputationRep:
    Had a flick trhough Neo Magazine in WHsmith the other day, had a big section on Dancing vampires and the main character was on the cover.. also there were fanservicy pictures of her inside. :s: That cant have been encouraging.:erm:
    (Original post by QHF)
    And I love the bombastic classical music in the battle scenes. Actually, I love the approach of LoGH's soundtrack in general: why bother composing new music when you can cherry-pick from a whole centuries-old musical tradition?
    Indeed it works so damn well here.

ReputationRep:
    Still loving Kimi to Boku. I wonder if this is considered shoujo even though the characters are mostly boys?
    Episode 3 finally showed the 5th (and I'm assuming the last) member of their group and it's actually a nice introduction. And surprisingly, the girliest member of the group is the one who has the (female) admirer. Hmm.

ReputationRep:
    Poor Yang Wenli he looks so unhappy as he's told to attack the iserlohn fortress with half a fleet :sad:

ReputationRep:

1 week.

I'm throwing so much money at Type Moon at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    :beard: http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-new...the-new-gundam new series to be directed by Tomino set 1000 years in Universal Century timeline's future.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.ichijinsha.co.jp/special/takemoon_sp/

Take Moon OVA separate from CP, kinda, next month.

GRRAFARGHFGUHDGUHFUGHFDJKHGJKDFH GKJDHGH.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    As I'm half English half Japanese myself, I do find it amusing how Kodaka's mixed appearance (presumably attributed to his hair colour, which is weird given that his contemporary has blonde locks), he's considered a delinquent by his peers in Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai. A subtle hint that us "hafus" can be discriminated against in homogeneous Japan? :giggle:

Edit:

Episode 2 of Guilty Crown was a joy to watch. While I'm an advocate for originality, specifically when it's executed well and is justified, thereby offering something positive and different in the process (which is certainly not always the case), Guilty Crown conversely offers all of the conventions and cliches that I relish and enjoy most in anime. I mean, I can't really condemn an interesting premise based in a post-apocalyptic science fiction setting that features mecha, coupled with a unique power and hints of romance. It has the perfect mix which is - arguably more crucially - executed brilliantly by Production I.G and those involved. This is movie level production, ranging from the soundtrack to the fluid animation, which is a rarity for a television broadcast. I can only hope that they'll maintain this level for the entirety of the series. Going by what the studio have produced before, I'm optimistic. I'm even willing to overlook the subtle fan service, which isn't by any means overt.

This is not to suggest however that Guilty Crown is perfect and there's a few qualms I have with how convenient everything leading up to where we are has been, particularly in regard to Tsugumi's and Shuu's connection... But hey, it's all in good fun, and we do need to bear in mind the demographic the series is primarily targeting. I'm happy with it.

ReputationRep:
    Time for Fate/Zero.

**** is about to get real! :awesome:

Edit: I can't get over how well animated it is, I haven't seen any QUALITY so far. The budget on this must be unreal.

ReputationRep:
    I started to have such feelings while watching the anime, but reading through the manga has reinforced it- I think Fuko from Flame of Recca may be one of my favourite heroines, and certainly one of my favourite female characters from shonen manga. Or manga in general as saying favourite shonen female might be damning with faint praise :mmm:
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Queen's Blade: Rebellion TV Anime Green-Lit

The December issue of Monthly Hobby Japan magazine is announcing on Tuesday that a television anime adaptation of the Queen's Blade: Rebellion storyline has been green-lit. The story originated in Hobby Japan's Queen's Blade fantasy game book franchise that also inspired the previous two television anime series and several original video anime volumes.

The Queen's Blade: Rebellion game books serve as a sequel to the original Queen's Blade game books, which are Japanese spinoffs from Flying Buffalo's Lost Worlds game series. In combat picture book games, players simulate turn-based fighting with books that each represent a character.

The story is set four years after the first storyline and revolves around Annelotte, the rebelling knight princess who stands up to the tyranny of the new queen. The Rebellion storyline already inspired two prologue original video anime DVDs that are being bundled with the Queen's Blade Premium Visual Books.
    :awesome:
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    I finished Level E a couple of days ago, but the latter episodes didn't come close to the awesomeness of the first three. :sigh: A decent series overall, but it would have benefited from the laugh out loud moments being spread out a bit more. :sadnod:

Also marathoned Silver Fang (Ginga Nagareboshi Gin)... Fantastic. :bawling: Surely the most manly series you'll ever see tagged under 'Animal Protagonists' on A-P. :p: I recently found out about the sequel, but supposedly its not as good (also, Studio Deen :yucky:). 'Weed' isn't nearly as manly sounding a name as Silver Fang/Gin either. :no:

Finally as far as complete series go, I just started Gokudo. The first episode wasn't amazing, but I'm really in the mood for late 90s fantasy/comedy shows at the moment. :giggle: If it is at least better than Sorcerer Hunters, I'll be happy enough.

ReputationRep:
    How about a new main character type to be seen in many series that isnt a clueless little boy.:hmmm:

ReputationRep:
    Okay, I just decided to watch Guilty Crown based solely on Ayana Taketatsu being a VA.

Just saw episode 1 and I thought it was quite a nice opener. Pretty much agree with everything Ayako has said so far. The setting is pretty generic, but the eye candy more than makes up for it. Being generic isn't necessarily a bad thing either, in my eyes at least.

Though I wouldn't have put it quite so eloquently as Ayako.

Also:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tabris)
    Also:

Trust you to pick up on that.:erm:

ReputationRep:
    This girl in bento doesnt have a face:s: they just focus on her chest when she's talking.:lolwut:

(Original post by Aiko)
    Episode 2 of Guilty Clown was a joy to watch. While I'm an advocate for originality, specifically when it's executed well and is justified, thereby offering something positive and different in the process (which is certainly not always the case), Guilty Clown conversely offers all of the conventions and cliches that I relish and enjoy most in anime. I mean, I can't really condemn an interesting premise based in a post-apocalyptic science fiction setting that features mecha, coupled with a unique power and hints of romance. It has the perfect mix which is - arguably more crucially - executed brilliantly by Production I.G and those involved. This is movie level production, ranging from the soundtrack to the fluid animation, which is a rarity for a television broadcast. I can only hope that they'll maintain this level for the entirety of the series. Going by what the studio have produced before, I'm optimistic. I'm even willing to overlook the subtle fan service, which isn't by any means overt.

This is not to suggest however that Guilty Clown is perfect and there's a few qualms I have with how convenient everything leading up to where we are has been, particularly in regard to Tsugumi's and Shuu's connection... But hey, it's all in good fun, and we do need to bear in mind the demographic the series is primarily targeting. I'm happy with it.
    Guilty Clown does have a fair few of the old cliches, which arnt really all that noticable at first. But with the setting/ premise and the very high quality production theres a kind of freshness to it.:yep: The fan service isnt all that much though it does lead to questions about why that girls outfit is so revealing.:giggle: And then theres other minor parts that wouldnt be all that memorable but people like tabris have gone and made 10 min videos of it.:hmmm:

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.