Turn on thread page Beta

The Anime Society 5: Tentacles For All! watch

ReputationRep:
    Finally started to watch steins;gate. I love it so far, especially as they make references to current science and technology.

I also love that CERN is actually an evil organisation :teeth:

ReputationRep:
    Ordered a Christmas present for myself :mmm: The Highschool of the dead full colour manga omnibus.

Have about 4-5 Ghibli films recorded to watch. Watched an hour of Tales from Earthsea, then had dinner. Need to watch the rest. It's enjoyable enough, but it's certainly lacking that spark others films from the studio have.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Truered)
    Have about 4-5 Ghibli films recorded to watch. Watched an hour of Tales from Earthsea, then had dinner. Need to watch the rest. It's enjoyable enough, but it's certainly lacking that spark others films from the studio have.
    It only becomes truly atrocious once you've read the original novels... the latter two of which were hacked apart and merged together (once the good parts had been removed) to create the movie.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryJellyfish)
    It only becomes truly atrocious once you've read the original novels... the latter two of which were hacked apart and merged together (once the good parts had been removed) to create the movie.
    Forget the books, the film by itself was naff. How can an animated film last almost 120 minutes and have nothing happen? (At least live action doesn't need to animate people standing around and talking). I can't recall a single set piece from the film.

I ended up drifting in and out of sleep (laying down on bed) for the last 20 minutes- even rewinding back I didn't seem to miss all that much. The main villain did nothing, the secondary villains weren't funny/quirky enough to be comic relief, or threatening enough to be major villains.

And was there actually anything to explain at the end (ending spoilers of course)

Spoiler:
    Show

Why scar tsundere was suddenly the demons a dragon?

ReputationRep:
    I (finally) managed to watch the latest episode of Gundam Unicorn today. It was pretty good, or at least it the robot fighting was so pretty that I didn't care how good the rest of it was.

ReputationRep:
    WTF was with that ending to Zero no Tsukaima S2, ok so it went down that route....:cry:....but then just WTF :lolwut:

Spoiler:
    Show
    didnt expect him to go fight and die but fair enough, so twas quite :cry2: when it all happened but then some fairy comes along and makes him alive again oh great :rolleyes: just wtf

i am disappoint :sigh:

(Original post by Aiko)
    I remember enjoying the first season (somewhat), but the second and especially the third season were bordering on dismal. I could say the same but to a lesser extent for another J.C. Staff series with Rie at the helm that's airing right now.
    i enjoyed the first season a little more than the 2nd, thought the 2nd was still pretty decent, better story but ruined by that gay ass ending :sad: i really dont fancy watching the 3rd series now :unimpressed:

ReputationRep:
    It never cease to amaze me how even Fate/Zero's episodes of inactivity can bring so much depth into the story.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Just finished Gungrave upon recommendation from a friend. At first I was a bit sceptical of the story and the supposedly fantastical elements of something which was supposed to be based in a 'real-life' setting. But it did pull through. Story was pretty solid, although quite a lot of time passes in the story, it never felt hugely jumpy. The story flowed and characters had great development.
    One thing that annoyed me at first is the completely arbitrary setting of the show. Where is it? Can't seem to tell, most likely a made up world. But, why does everyone have english names? As much as they may find it cool, when they said some of the names, they just sounded clichéd and ridiculous. Balladbird Lee, Big Daddy - really? Made even more stupid sounding when pronounced with a thick Japanese accent. :facepalm2:

Well, I guess I got over that, small niggle in what was a great anime. I thought it kind of divulged towards the end, where it was more settled on fights however, in the last few episodes they really wrapped it up well, the mysteries make sense and I really did like/empathise with the characters. Though some things I thought could have been done in a much more efficient fashion as opposed to the roundabout way the characters went about it but then again, its part of the story. Only other thing was the clumsy handling of the romance, I was just weirded out at times.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Did Maria love Brandon or what? She had a baby with Big Daddy but it still seemed she wanted Brandon. Then her daughter wanted Brandon despite only knowing him for like a week. :dontknow:

'Twas good I guess. No re-watch value as the whole point of the show is to slowly unravel the past but I'd recommend it if you want something dark/mysterious with action elements and solid character development. Probably an 8 ish for me. I don't usually like gun totting anime but this one worked, not for the action as it wasn't that great, but for the story and development alone really.

ReputationRep:
    Oh apparently starting from today (not sure what time) Film4 are showing a whole load of Ghibli films, mostly subtitled. Today's film is Ponyo.

This is the schedule according to another forum
    * Ponyo - 18.55 on 10th December.
    * Princess Mononoke - 16.40 on 11th December.
    * Tales from Earthsea - 16.25 on 12th December.
    * The Castle of Cagliostro - 16.55 on 13th December.
    * Little Norse Prince - 17.20 on 14th December.
    * Laputa: Castle in the Sky - 16.05 on 15th December.
    * Only Yesterday - 17.00 on 16th December.
    * The Cat Returns - 16.50 on 17th December.
    * Kiki's Delivery Service - 16.30 on 18th December.
    * Laputa: Castle in the Sky - 16.20 on 19th December.
    * Pom Poko - 16.15 on 20th December.
    * Nausicca of the Valley of the Wind - 16.00 on 21st December.
    * Porco Rosso - 16.55 on 22nd December.
    * Ocean Waves - 17.30 on 23rd December.
    * My Neighbour Totoro - 17.15 on 24th December (Christmas Eve).
    * Ponyo - 17.10 on 25th December (Christmas Day).
    ahh i saw this post but forgot about it :pinch:

watching the kiki one now but its near the end so i'll watch it next time when its on :sad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eugenius 8)
    ahh i saw this post but forgot about it :pinch:

watching the kiki one now but its near the end so i'll watch it next time when its on :sad:
    I've been recording them. But I now have a backlog of about 4-5 ~115 minute films to watch before Christmas comes along and I get distracted by games :nyoron:

ReputationRep:
    I've been recording them. But I now have a backlog of about 4-5 ~115 minute films to watch before Christmas comes along and I get distracted by games :nyoron:
    nice :p:

im stuck with a vhs player which i dont think can record digital channels..

ReputationRep:
    Just realised there's going to be a movie of Steins;gate :awesome:, guess I better finish the series soon

ReputationRep:
    Watched kiki tonight with my sister. Except I thought she'd like the dub more so ran off to get my big monitor so we could watch it from a memory stick. She really enjoyed it and so I gave her the english laputa to watch later.

ReputationRep:
    watching laputa, first studio ghibli film i ever watched, ah the nostalgia

finished :cry2:

ReputationRep:

Me too! The only one I saw as a child.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Akuma)
    Me too! The only one I saw as a child.

:five:

twas only 4 years ago for me :p:

ReputationRep:
    Started watching Infinite Stratos on a whim.

Really enjoying it so far.

ReputationRep:
    Mirrai Nikki needs more norio wakamoto.:s:

ReputationRep:

Hmm I still have the DVD for that somewhere, have to find it to watch again later, ah the memories.

ReputationRep:
    Has the second season of Soul Eater come out yet? I only update myself on the manga.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.