Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by whitepearlbaby)
    Food-related anime, anyone?

I always loved the scenes in Katekyo Hitman Reborn when the girls were cooking up a nice meal, and then THE WHOLE TABLE WAS FILLED WITH AWESOMENESS :woo:
    (I'm on a diet. I need to eat with my eyes.)
    Maybe one of these? The food always looks amazing. :giggle:

Yakitate!! Japan

Yumeiro Pâtissière

Toriko

Antique Bakery

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Truered)
    I suppose everyone here already knows about Bandai entertainment (if I've got the right bandai :mmm: ) but apparently rumours are starting to emerge about Beez (a UK licensing company) possibly going the same way. One rumour is perhaps they might continue selling for now, but not to expect anymore new titles.

Which would mainly just leave the (slightly less) overpriced MVM and the at times incompetent Manga ent (and whoever they may work with, Kaze, funi etc)

:nyoron:
    I already knew.:proud:

not exactly looking good for obtaining legal anime these days :erm:

ReputationRep:
    now that we're back into non-filler naruto, the eps just fly right past :pinch:

liking the new ed :yep:

naruto trying to rap :rofl2:

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone! I'm new to this society and I've liked anime for a pretty long time now, but recently I've been wanting to get into some more new anime series Any reccomendations? I haven't really been looking at any of the new releases recently, so I'm not sure which new anime or manga are any good or not or are worth checking out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GirasoleL)
    Hey everyone! I'm new to this society and I've liked anime for a pretty long time now, but recently I've been wanting to get into some more new anime series Any reccomendations? I haven't really been looking at any of the new releases recently, so I'm not sure which new anime or manga are any good or not or are worth checking out.
    Hi and welcome

Which genre are you interested in? Any ideas?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Welcome to the society once again.

If you're after general recommendations, here's some of the series I liked best from the previous season, click the links for more info!

Mirai Nikki

Fate/Zero

Chihayafuru

Un-Go

If none of those take your interest, best to let us know what kind of series you like as The Cornerstone suggested. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryJellyfish)
    Welcome to the society once again.

If you're after general recommendations, here's some of the series I liked best from the previous season, click the links for more info!

Mirai Nikki

Fate/Zero

Chihayafuru

Un-Go

If none of those take your interest, best to let us know what kind of series you like as The Cornerstone suggested. :yes:
    Thanks I might try a couple of them out in the next few days.

And in relation to The Cornerstone's question, I'm pretty much an all rounder when it comes to anime genres I like most things aslong as it has a good storyline and decent art.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks I might try a couple of them out in the next few days.

And in relation to The Cornerstone's question, I'm pretty much an all rounder when it comes to anime genres I like most things aslong as it has a good storyline and decent art.
    AngryJellyfish has already suggested the best ones out of last season (especially Fate/zero in terms of good art and storyline). One that I have recently finished and would highly recommend is Steins;gate it has a great storyline, definitely my favourite of 2011 and if you like the Sci-fi genre then that's a bonus :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Cornerstone)
    AngryJellyfish has already suggested the best ones out of last season (especially Fate/zero in terms of good art and storyline). One that I have recently finished and would highly recommend is Steins;gate it has a great storyline, definitely my favourite of 2011 and if you like the Sci-fi genre then that's a bonus :yes:
    Sci-fi is pretty awesome And thanks for the suggestion! I'll probably try out Fate/Zero too in that case then, I think I remember a couple of people I know mentioning it actually, so it seems a pretty popular title atm too :P

ReputationRep:
    Symphogear's first episode was certainly interesting.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Oh man, Senki Zesshou Symphogear was hilarious, but surprisingly rather entertaining to watch (wasn't sure what to expect from an anime involving Elements Garden). Essentially, Mai Otome meets Macross. Animation wasn't half bad either, especially coming from a new studio. Going to keep this one on. :giggle:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I think the opening line from the male protagonist accurately describes High School DxD: "I want to grope some breasts". Yup, this is our ecchi series of the season, pack filled with excessive fan service to the point of censoring. And yet, despite how unoriginal and shameless this anime is, I'll admit that I found it quite enjoyable. To its credit, there is a plot to speak of, however cliched it might be, and I suppose the only thing that could possibly put me off is if there is minimal plot and character development, resulting in trivial episodic mush. Hopefully, High School DxD won't succumb to that and will remain entertaining enough to keep me interested.

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone,
    I joined this society ages ago but it's my first time posting here.
    It's been around a year since I started watching anime outside of the popular Naruto, Bleach and Deathnote. :awesome:
    Favourite genre would probably be shounen since stuff like Yu Yu Hakusho, Digimon and HunterxHunter were my favourite anime growing up. :yep:
    I recently enjoyed Noir, Mononoke and Gankutsuou. Any similar recommendations?
    I'm open to everything but I'd prefer to avoid series with slow/inconsistent pacing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by confuzzled92)
    Hey everyone,
    It's been around a year since I started watching anime outside of the popular Naruto, Bleach and Deathnote. :awesome:
    Favourite genre would probably be shounen since stuff like Yu Yu Hakusho, Digimon and HunterxHunter were my favourite anime growing up. :yep:
    I'm open to everything but I'd prefer to avoid series with slow/inconsistent pacing.
    Hey! Do you read any manga too? Or just watch the anime? I would in my biased choice say watch Wolfs Rain, you might like it, I would say its one of my own personal favourites
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Hey everyone,
    Hello, sorry about the late reply, my internet was slow earlier. :o:

For a series similar to Noir, the other two Girls & Guns series (Madlax and El Cazador de la Bruja) are the obvious suggestions.

Mononoke is a unique series, not much out there like it, but maybe look at Trapeze or Ayakashi (Mononoke is actually a spin-off of Ayakashi, the medicine seller shows up as the main character in one of its arcs).

Finally, shows similar to Gankutsuou... Monster springs immediately to mind. :yes:

Hope that helps.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Aiko)
    I think the opening line from the male protagonist accurately describes High School DxD: "I want to grope some breasts". Yup, this is our ecchi series of the season, pack filled with excessive fan service to the point of censoring. And yet, despite how unoriginal and shameless this anime is, I'll admit that I found it quite enjoyable. To its credit, there is a plot to speak of, however cliched it might be, and I suppose the only thing that could possibly put me off is if there is minimal plot and character development, resulting in trivial episodic mush. Hopefully, High School DxD won't succumb to that and will remain entertaining enough to keep me interested.
    How strange, I said nearly the exact same thing about High School DxD on my newbie blog :awesome:

Hmmm, not sure whether I'll keep watchin DxD, but I do know I won't bother blogging, there really isn't enough in the show to keep speaking about it on a weekly basis without repeating yourself.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So far for me, of the 4 panel comics, only Recorder and Randsell and Poyopoyo have done it for me. Both were very funny, and sadly but expectedly, too short I was disgusted by Kill Me Baby though, if you had a bank of clichés and you ran then through a random generator, Kill Me Baby would pop out

I was disappointed with Rinne no Lagrange though but very surprised at how much I found myself getting into Area no Kishi despite never having desired to watch any sport anime (apart from Ippo, but thats in a league of its own).

Really need to watch Symphogear, I've heard good things. And I've got Mouretsu pirates waiting for me! But its too late now, I'll watch them tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    Hey! Do you read any manga too? Or just watch the anime? I would in my biased choice say watch Wolfs Rain, you might like it, I would say its one of my own personal favourites
    Hi!
    I've only ever watched the anime.
    It was only yesterday that I found out a visual novel isn't actually a novel. :shock:
    I do plan to read the D.Gray Man manga before watching the anime though.
    And thanks for the recommendation. I read the synopsis and I'll try it out soon. :teeth:

(Original post by AngryJellyfish)
    Hello, sorry about the late reply, my internet was slow earlier. :o:

For a series similar to Noir, the other two Girls & Guns series (Madlax and El Cazador de la Bruja) are the obvious suggestions.

Mononoke is a unique series, not much out there like it, but maybe look at Trapeze or Ayakashi (Mononoke is actually a spin-off of Ayakashi, the medicine seller shows up as the main character in one of its arcs).

Finally, shows similar to Gankutsuou... Monster springs immediately to mind. :yes:

Hope that helps.
    Hey, thanks for the recommendations. :teeth:
    I've watched Ayakashi and I've been meaning to pick up Monster from where I left off for a long time. I'll check out the others as well.

ReputationRep:
    Hi!
    I've only ever watched the anime.
    It was only yesterday that I found out a visual novel isn't actually a novel. :shock:
    I do plan to read the D.Gray Man manga before watching the anime though.
    And thanks for the recommendation. I read the synopsis and I'll try it out soon. :teeth:
    Fair enough then :P
    Oh cool, the D.Gray Man manga is pretty good, I have a few volumes myself
    Also, no problemo, I hope you enjoy it
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by eugenius 8)
    now that we're back into non-filler naruto, the eps just fly right past :pinch:

liking the new ed :yep:

naruto trying to rap :rofl2:
    Yay, the filler has finished! I can finally get back into Naruto again. And yeah, the episodes do fly past way too quickly, I was just getting into it. :sad: I predicted that Naruto would aim to gain control of his tailed beast upon meeting Killer Bee, and I'm glad that's the case. It was the next obvious power up Naruto needed. As for his rapping, it was really funny. :laugh: Takeuchi's pitch went a bit higher, straying away from Naruto's usual boyish tone to something slightly feminine. She was slipping somewhat.

Firstly, welcome to the Anime Society and the forum at large. It's been nice briefly chatting to you. :hugs:

As for recommendations, aside from those that the others have suggested (which are all worthy), consider watching:

Usagi Drop
    Ikoku Meiro no Croisee
    Mayo Chiki!
    Mawaru Penguindrum
    Kami-sama Dolls
    Last Exile - Ginyoku no Fam (preferably after you've seen the first series)
    MS Gundam Age
    Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai

(Original post by Facticity)
    How strange, I said nearly the exact same thing about High School DxD on my newbie blog :awesome:

Hmmm, not sure whether I'll keep watchin DxD, but I do know I won't bother blogging, there really isn't enough in the show to keep speaking about it on a weekly basis without repeating yourself.
    I haven't checked your "newbie blog" yet, but I'll be assured to after writing this post. I suppose with DxD, like all anime of this ilk, you just need to accept it for what it is and nothing more than that.

So far for me, of the 4 panel comics, only Recorder and Randsell and Poyopoyo have done it for me. Both were very funny, and sadly but expectedly, too short I was disgusted by Kill Me Baby though, if you had a bank of clichés and you ran then through a random generator, Kill Me Baby would pop out
    I'll be keeping on Recorder to Randoseru and Poyopoyo Kansatsu Nikki as both were enjoyable to watch and are short. It's not like I have to commit much time to either.

I was disappointed with Rinne no Lagrange though but very surprised at how much I found myself getting into Area no Kishi despite never having desired to watch any sport anime (apart from Ippo, but thats in a league of its own).
    I wouldn't say I was disappointed as I kind of knew what to expect with Lagrange. I still think it has a lot of potential, even though it's a stable of its genre, offering nothing new. As for Area no Kishi, I loved this. It was slightly reminiscent of Adachi with its implication of a possible love triangle and an emphasis on the romance, who is one of my favourite manga artists/authors. I like the dynamic between the three characters already and it's only the first episode. Also, you definitely need to watch more sport shounen. While Hajime no Ippo is indeed brilliant and one of the best of the genre, might I suggest you consider watching Major; it's right up there alongside the former, in my opinion. Or, if you don't mind something much older, and liked what you saw in Area no Kishi, watch Touch (by the aforementioned Adachi), it's one of my favourite anime series.

Really need to watch Symphogear, I've heard good things. And I've got Mouretsu pirates waiting for me! But its too late now, I'll watch them tomorrow.
    Yup, planning to watch Mouretsu Pirates along with Nisemonogatari and Brave 10 in a bit. Do post your thoughts, as I probably will to.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Hey everyone,
    Welcome. Admittedly, I've seen you browsing the forum in the past and hoped you would post.

If you're into long running shounen like Naruto and Bleach, along with Yu Yu Hakusho and Hunter x Hunter, you need to watch the holy grail of the genre, One Piece, if you haven't already. It's long but definitely worth it.

As for something similar to Gankutsuou and the like, Monster, Red Garden, Ergo Proxy, Serial Experiments Lain, Bokurano and Gilgamesh come to mind.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.