Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aiko)
    Firstly, welcome to the Anime Society and the forum at large. It's been nice briefly chatting to you. :hugs:

As for recommendations, aside from those that the others have suggested (which are all worthy), consider watching:

Usagi Drop
    Ikoku Meiro no Croisee
    Mayo Chiki!
    Mawaru Penguindrum
    Kami-sama Dolls
    Last Exile - Ginyoku no Fam (preferably after you've seen the first series)
    MS Gundam Age
    Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai
    Thanks Its was nice breifly chatting to you too
    Oh and thankyou for the list btw, I will make sure to check up on those titles soon and see which ones appeal to me the most. I've seen some of Last Exile before actually Seems pretty good.

ReputationRep:
    Well Brave 10 definitely had what I expected from an anime of this kind, action at every corner. You couldn't breathe for five seconds without the protagonist getting attacked by a gang of ninjas and the fight ending with sparkly lights floating around. It also had it's share of drama but not as much of plot development as I would of hoped imo. However it's still only the first episode and I'm pretty sure I'll be following this one.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Part way through episode 1 of Mouretsu Pirates, it hasn't been anything special so far, but the Captain Harlock reference is working in its favour. :giggle:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Aiko)
    I haven't checked your "newbie blog" yet, but I'll be assured to after writing this post. I suppose with DxD, like all anime of this ilk, you just need to accept it for what it is and nothing more than that.
    Feel free to do so :yes: Though, I just realised whenever I access my Wordpress app on my phone, it tends to try to correct grammar (actually ruining the spelling like names and such and the grammar) and messes up all my HTML styles - just spent some time correcting it all. So sorry if when you accessed the blog, the images and their layout were funny or the grammar messed up. How annoying, I might have to query this. One would think a company such as Wordpress would avoid such glaring flaws in software. :erm:

Though, what you said about DxD is true. I don't know if I'll continue watching it on my blog. If I do continue to watch it, I doubt I'd blog about it, as it will probably be 'episodic mush' as you pertinently described it

I'll be keeping on Recorder to Randoseru and Poyopoyo Kansatsu Nikki as both were enjoyable to watch and are short. It's not like I have to commit much time to either.
    I'd commit to them even if they were full length, I really liked them. :yep: That said, the style is only suited to a short so if they were full episodes, they may just get boring. But certainly its easier to keep up with shorts as you said.

I wouldn't say I was disappointed as I kind of knew what to expect with Lagrange. I still think it has a lot of potential, even though it's a stable of its genre, offering nothing new. As for Area no Kishi, I loved this. It was slightly reminiscent of Adachi with its implication of a possible love triangle and an emphasis on the romance, who is one of my favourite manga artists/authors. I like the dynamic between the three characters already and it's only the first episode. Also, you definitely need to watch more sport shounen. While Hajime no Ippo is indeed brilliant and one of the best of the genre, might I suggest you consider watching Major; it's right up there alongside the former, in my opinion. Or, if you don't mind something much older, and liked what you saw in Area no Kishi, watch Touch (by the aforementioned Adachi), it's one of my favourite anime series.
    I guess you've got a point. I was just disappointed as I thought we'd finally have a new mecha that isn't Gundam taking to the scene. Nothing wrong with Gundam - I'll watch every season of it but I feel it dominates the genre too much, with good mecha series only coming along every so often.

I must admit, the more I look back at Kishi, the more appealing it seems to me. I thought about the love triangle thing only briefly but you may have a point - Suguru didn't seem that interested so it seemed implausible to me. I do like the characters though and there does seem to be a solid story going. Though, I did comment that Suguru was far too lazy a character design - he seemed to be one of those all round, perfect character types - I'd rather a more well thought out one. But I did also admit, that I could be wrong as we didn't learn a huge amount about him. I think, if Kishi turns out the way I hope, I will definitely be checking out more sport anime. Thanks for the recommendations :yy:

Yup, planning to watch Mouretsu Pirates along with Nisemonogatari and Brave 10 in a bit. Do post your thoughts, as I probably will to.
    I'm getting to them now

ReputationRep:
    was just looking at the Ap entry for guilty crown, in the sub the group is called the undertakers, but in the listing they've written it as funeral parlour?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aiko)
    Welcome. Admittedly, I've seen you browsing the forum in the past and hoped you would post.

If you're into long running shounen like Naruto and Bleach, along with Yu Yu Hakusho and Hunter x Hunter, you need to watch the holy grail of the genre, One Piece, if you haven't already. It's long but definitely worth it.

As for something similar to Gankutsuou and the like, Monster, Red Garden, Ergo Proxy, Serial Experiments Lain, Bokurano and Gilgamesh come to mind.
    Cool, how did you see that? :p::ninja:

Oh yes, I've stumbled upon One Piece. I watched around 130 episodes and stalled when I found subbed episodes of Yu Yu Hakusho and decided to watch it for the nostalgia. Definitely going to pick it up again and catch up in the next few...months. :yep:

And thanks for the suggestions.
    I'll have a look at Bokurano, Red Garden and Gilgamesh as I've watched the rest.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Facticity)
    Feel free to do so :yes: Though, I just realised whenever I access my Wordpress app on my phone, it tends to try to correct grammar (actually ruining the spelling like names and such and the grammar) and messes up all my HTML styles - just spent some time correcting it all. So sorry if when you accessed the blog, the images and their layout were funny or the grammar messed up. How annoying, I might have to query this. One would think a company such as Wordpress would avoid such glaring flaws in software. :erm:
    Yes, you'd think they would account for that before releasing their app.

That aside, I have to say I'm really impressed with how comprehensive your entries are. Suffice to say, you've made a really promising start to your blog, enjoyed reading it.

Though, what you said about DxD is true. I don't know if I'll continue watching it on my blog. If I do continue to watch it, I doubt I'd blog about it, as it will probably be 'episodic mush' as you pertinently described it
    Ha, well, from my understanding, the light novel it's based on apparently has some substance, which is shown during the latter half of the episode. We'll see.

I'd commit to them even if they were full length, I really liked them. :yep: That said, the style is only suited to a short so if they were full episodes, they may just get boring. But certainly its easier to keep up with shorts as you said.
    I think with a decent scriptwriter onboard, Recorder could easily become a fully fledged series, certainly if it were one season.

I guess you've got a point. I was just disappointed as I thought we'd finally have a new mecha that isn't Gundam taking to the scene. Nothing wrong with Gundam - I'll watch every season of it but I feel it dominates the genre too much, with good mecha series only coming along every so often.
    Yeah, based upon the PV, I definitely didn't expect Lagrange to rival Gundam, especially as Age is currently airing.

I must admit, the more I look back at Kishi, the more appealing it seems to me. I thought about the love triangle thing only briefly but you may have a point - Suguru didn't seem that interested so it seemed implausible to me. I do like the characters though and there does seem to be a solid story going. Though, I did comment that Suguru was far too lazy a character design - he seemed to be one of those all round, perfect character types - I'd rather a more well thought out one. But I did also admit, that I could be wrong as we didn't learn a huge amount about him. I think, if Kishi turns out the way I hope, I will definitely be checking out more sport anime. Thanks for the recommendations :yy:
    The possibility of a love triangle only came to light for me with that scene where Kakeru notices both Suguru and Nana smiling at each other. Of course, as you've said, Suguru seems disinterested, but that doesn't necessarily mean that he is, as he too has history with her, and it's the only time we actually see him smile during this episode. Of course, it's evident who Nana seems to like... I mean, assuming the masked character is who we all think it is, no girl would do that for a guy she doesn't like, right? I know I wouldn't.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by confuzzled92)
    Cool, how did you see that? :p::ninja:
    I see everything... :ninja:

Oh yes, I've stumbled upon One Piece. I watched around 130 episodes and stalled when I found subbed episodes of Yu Yu Hakusho and decided to watch it for the nostalgia. Definitely going to pick it up again and catch up in the next few...months. :yep:
    One Piece is one of the few long running shounen series that has managed to maintain its momentum throughout its run and arguably has gotten better with each subsequent arc. I definitely recommend resuming it.

And thanks for the suggestions.
    I'll have a look at Bokurano, Red Garden and Gilgamesh as I've watched the rest.
    Hope you enjoy them.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by GirasoleL)
    Thanks Its was nice breifly chatting to you too
    Oh and thankyou for the list btw, I will make sure to check up on those titles soon and see which ones appeal to me the most. I've seen some of Last Exile before actually Seems pretty good.
    Last Exile is probably the best anime Gonzo have produced, or certainly one of, which is probably why they've chosen to produce a second season that may determine their future as a studio, given their financial troubles. So yeah, I would recommend resuming it. Probably my favourite of its broadcast year.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Aiko)
    Yes, you'd think they would account for that before releasing their app.
    I await a reply.

That aside, I have to say I'm really impressed with how comprehensive your entries are. Suffice to say, you've made a really promising start to your blog, enjoyed reading it.
    Well, thank you Its not as easy as I thought at first, I have a tendency to ramble off sometimes and I have to reign that in.

Ha, well, from my understanding, the light novel it's based on apparently has some substance, which is shown during the latter half of the episode. We'll see.
    Well, even To Love-Ru supposedly has a detailed story, but just from watching a couple episodes (and promptly giving up) I could tell I have no desire to find out, as I doubt it would be anything that interesting Certainly not as potentially interesting as other fresh anime. :nah:

I think with a decent scriptwriter onboard, Recorder could easily become a fully fledged series, certainly if it were one season.
    I agree with this completely.

Yeah, based upon the PV, I definitely didn't expect Lagrange to rival Gundam, especially as Age is currently airing.
    Oh I wasn't expecting it to rival gundam at all, but we do get those rare mecha gems every so often like RahXephon or Gurren Lagann. Perhaps I was just being naively optimistic.

The possibility of a love triangle only came to light for me with that scene where Kakeru notices both Suguru and Nana smiling at each other. Of course, as you've said, Suguru seems disinterested, but that doesn't necessarily mean that he is, as he too has history with her, and it's the only time we actually see him smile during this episode. Of course, it's evident who Nana seems to like... I mean, assuming the masked character is who we all think it is, no girl would do that for a guy she doesn't like, right? I know I wouldn't.
    Aha, yes, its so very obvious who the person in the mask was and who she likes. I mean, we could be wrong, but so far, all the signs indicate that was Nana and Nana obviously will be a big part of Kakeru's life/future. Meh, love triangle or not, I'm not looking to the romance as a main thing really. In the same way the romance in Ippo was nice, it wasn't a huge part of the anime. Then again, I've heard its a lot more prominent in the manga but I am consistently put off by even trying to start an almost 1000 chapter long series :sadnod:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I loved BRAVE 10, really looking forward to seeing this series go. Its going to be stylish, fast and hectic when the big fights roll around. I've posted my detailed impression here.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone here ever watched 'Deadman Wonderland'?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Dr_Alchem)
    Yep... not a fantastic series by any stretch of the imagination, but it had its good parts. :yes:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    A lot of us here have. It was good :yes: However, I felt towards the end it got a bit dry, perhaps because 12 episodes made it too short lived. It was decent though. As AJ said though, nowhere near the best, not even one of the top for 2011. :nah:

ReputationRep:
    finished Yuru Yuri, such a cute show :cute: that last ep was :toofunny: poor Akarin :sad: was more yuri-like then i expected :love:

2nd season in July :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryJellyfish)
    Yep... not a fantastic series by any stretch of the imagination, but it had its good parts. :yes:
    It started off really good and gripped me for a while, and then it just started to meander and go a bit off. A bit stale in the end.

At first it was good enough that it made me sad tokyopop had died, as I wanted to start collecting the manga :mmm:

ReputationRep:
    I thought the beginning was pretty good, kinda had me off balance for a lot of it The main character has some unbelievably bad luck lol. I agree with what you said though, it was way too depressive towards the end :/

What would you suggest (excluding Naruto, Bleach, Hitman Reborn, and D.Gray)?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    I thought the beginning was pretty good, kinda had me off balance for a lot of it The main character has some unbelievably bad luck lol. I agree with what you said though, it was way too depressive towards the end :/

What would you suggest (excluding Naruto, Bleach, Hitman Reborn, and D.Gray)?
    I'm guessing you're a shonen fan? :p: I'm no expert when it comes to that demographic (haven't seen Naruto, Bleach or Hitman Reborn, though I'm nearing the end of D. Gray man right now). Still, I'd recommend the following:

Mirai Nikki (similar to Deadman Wonderland in some ways, except it has remained consistently good so far).

Claymore

Eureka Seven

ReputationRep:
    I'm guessing you're a shonen fan? :p: I'm no expert when it comes to that demographic (haven't seen Naruto, Bleach or Hitman Reborn, though I'm nearing the end of D. Gray man right now). Still, I'd recommend the following:

Mirai Nikki (similar to Deadman Wonderland in some ways, except it has remained consistently good so far).

Claymore

Eureka Seven
    Yh pretty much Started watching Tenjou Tenge a couple days ago, that's decent too. The fanservice is a bit obvious at times - I'm not complaining though :sexface:
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Yh pretty much Started watching Tenjou Tenge a couple days ago, that's decent too. The fanservice is a bit obvious at times - I'm not complaining though :sexface:
    I've not seen that yet; I keep meaning to despite its high-ecchi reputation (I've seen clips of some fight scenes on Youtube, which were surprisingly good). I can't say I mind fanservice either, as long as a show has something else to offer besides that. :p:

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.