Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Anime Society 5: Tentacles For All! watch

Announcements
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Toast_n_Gravy)
    has anyone watched Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai? I've got so addicted over the past week ... it's a shame it's so short
    Yeah, quite a few of us watched it when it was airing I think. A good series. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryJellyfish)
    Yeah, quite a few of us watched it when it was airing I think. A good series. :yes:
    I only just discovered it (and this society) so much love for them both!!

ReputationRep:
    has anyone watched Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai? I've got so addicted over the past week ... it's a shame it's so short
    yeah, i really enjoyed it, ending could have been better, heres hoping theres gona be a 2nd season :yes:

ku ku ku ~

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eugenius 8)
    yeah, i really enjoyed it, ending could have been better, heres hoping theres gona be a 2nd season :yes:

ku ku ku ~
    eeeee I haven't got to the end yet no spoilers!! I hope there is too, it only has like 12 eps or something

ReputationRep:
    eeeee I haven't got to the end yet no spoilers!! I hope there is too, it only has like 12 eps or something
    ah whoops sorry :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eugenius 8)
    ah whoops sorry :p:
    I've just finished it and I see what you mean about the ending, I think that episode 11 would have been a better place to end it. I really hope they do do another series, not that it'll be out for years but still

ReputationRep:
    oh man hajime no ippo ep 57 epicness has made me speechless :coma: need to breathe..

Spoiler:
    Show
    cmon ippo you can make a comeback!

really enjoyed the first ep of ano natsu de matteru, will be continuing with it for sure :yep:
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    I finished Good Witch of the West. It was quite bad.

Next, I'll be starting Android Kikaider... Don't know much about it, but evil organisations and a robot trying to come to terms with it's 'humanity' have proven to be entertaining concepts in other shows. :yes:

[EDIT] Kikaider is better than Good Witch so far, but that doesn't take much. The plot makes sense at least, and could even become interesting, but it'll need to slow down the monster-of-the-week battles a little bit to focus on character development. Character designs are interesting, but the actual animation is poor.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    After dismissing Guilty Crown with great disappointment after episode 9, I randomly decided to resume it today with the mild hope that it'll improve. Thankfully, after finishing episode 13, my concerns with the plot and characters has been alleviated and I'm actually enjoying it now. I'm aiming to catch up to the weekly broadcast by tonight.

ReputationRep:
    awesome kiruma and aoki arc in hajime no ippo :yep: what a couple of jokers :rofl2:
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    As I posted on my blog a few days back, I'm starting a 6 week course on the 20th of this month (9 AM - 5 PM; two weeks of the same employability skills/CV building stuff all over again, followed by a 4 week work placement, no payment aside from usual benefits and travel costs, but at least it gives me something to do). I'll have to cut down on my weekly anime viewing, since I'll only have evenings and weekends free, so I'm planning to stall ~8 series. I'm not entirely sure which ones yet though. :hmmmm2:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Following on from my previous post regarding Guilty Crown, I'm amazed at how quickly things are changing from episode to episode. It's almost as if the writers improvise as they go along. After taking a liking to the characters - even the male protagonist Shuu who had finally developed some resolve - the last two episodes have completely turned this positive development on its head. Now we have this messy situation where none of the characters are particularly likeable anymore, and those that are are either casted aside or dead. That said, the plot itself is still engaging, unlike before, and I definitely have the inclination to continue watching this series, even if it becomes a train-wreck a la Code Geass R2.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    3 Episodes in and I think I'm dropping Mouretsu Pirates. Its okay. Whilst it isn't your typical, boring space show, it is festering with a bucket load of clichés and in all honesty, its just lack lustre. None of the characters are particularly deep, they all seem to have "baggage" but this baggage is essentially hand luggage. Its skimmed over and when the show is somewhat serious, the sillyness of the situation (a high school girl becoming the captain of a ship of space pirates who will have to fight and kill people) just gets in the way. I really don't like this shift in stories we are seeing lately where something very serious is reduced to absurdity. Its happening in Rinne no Lagrange and in Mouretsu Pirates. They know they will have to fight, people will die yet they treat it like a fun game - the show even goes out of its way to sugar coat any violence. Neither Madoka nor Marika seem like the type to handle either of their situations, they view the world through optimistic-school-girl-trope glasses and it just makes light of everything around them, which is in stark contrast. I don't care for lots of violence neither do I want "realistic (I wouldn't be watching anime otherwise) but this kind of shallow, nonsensical story telling is really off putting.

That said, I am actually sticking with Rinne because it does seem like its picking up. Its also quite a bit of fun. I had to choose between our token "shoujo turned GAR" anime and so I've dumped Mouretsu as I don't have the time to keep 2 potentially trivial anime.

Brave 10 is another anime that is disappointing me. I thought it would be an octane thrill ride. Its degraded into a comedy with action elements - and even when the action does come, it isn't really that amazing. It often feels underwhelming. As much as I really want to be excited by this show, every time I watch it I feel somewhat disappointed. Not to say I'll drop it but I can't say its what I was hoping for.

Inu x Boku SS is still going strong for me, despite some minor blips in story and character coherence but hopefully that should get sorted in due time. I wasn't expecting Amagami to live up to its former season what with the abridged season but it hasn't done a huge amount for me so far. The Ayatsuji ark was good but I couldn't care less about school council election nonsense. I was very happy with the Rihoko arc ending - I was ready to rage if she didn't get a proper ending. And the last Ai arc was okay - sweet but boring, to be expected since their first season relationship wasn't that convincing, I really didn't understand why they got together. Meh.

Still loving Senki Zesshou Symphogear, story isn't hugely complex as there are gaping spoilers given to us in the show however, I cannot deny the characters are likeable and the action is awesome. I really don't know why I like this, its trying to be Macross so hard and it gives me every reason not to like it yet... I'm hooked.

Black Rock Shooter just out and its good. The character dynamic is very unbelievable to be honest, even for an anime but at the same time, it is produced really well and I love BRS so its getting a thumbs up for me. I don't know why she is so desperate to make friends and that speech about going to a multicoloured world sounded ridiculously absurd but again, BRS salvages the show and I guess it is endearing in a sense.

Thermae Romae was hilarious from start to finish! A great addition for this season. One of the underdogs and unexpected hits for me. I really hope there is a second!

Area no Kishi is also keeping me entertained. Not a fan of soccer nor sport anime but I'm glad I decided to give it chance. Its picking up and I do look forward to it. Hopefully it breaks out of the stereotypes as it goes, its got potential.

Mirai Nikki is as absurd and hectic as ever. The characters make no sense and the story moves at a breakneck speed. Nonetheless, I find myself loving it still.

Persona 4 is going as it always has - amazingly funny and entertaining. I'm very, very pleased with how they have transferred it from game to anime medium, stellar characters and story so far. I have very few complaints - apart from the still stoic Yu but he is opening up so I can't argue too much.

I'm very happy for tonight though - monday is the best day for anime at the moment. Natsume Yuujin Chou-Shi, Another, Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou and Ano Natsu de Matteru. In the words of the great poets, MY BODY IS READY.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Facticity)
    3 Episodes in and I think I'm dropping Mouretsu Pirates. Its okay. Whilst it isn't your typical, boring space show, it is festering with a bucket load of clichés and in all honesty, its just lack lustre. None of the characters are particularly deep, they all seem to have "baggage" but this baggage is essentially hand luggage. Its skimmed over and when the show is somewhat serious, the sillyness of the situation (a high school girl becoming the captain of a ship of space pirates who will have to fight and kill people) just gets in the way. I really don't like this shift in stories we are seeing lately where something very serious is reduced to absurdity.

I'm four episodes in and so far it's meh to me. But I don't know if that's because of the show or because I've currently gone off anime and I'm trying to force myself through the airing shows so I don't have even more backlog when I return to watching anime properly. Have no idea of names, there's main girl, glasses girl and token male. I think they went on a space walk at some point, and there was possibly a tsundere.

That is all I remember from episodes 2-4
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    3 Episodes in and I think I'm dropping Mouretsu Pirates. Its okay. Whilst it isn't your typical, boring space show, it is festering with a bucket load of clichés and in all honesty, its just lack lustre. None of the characters are particularly deep, they all seem to have "baggage" but this baggage is essentially hand luggage. Its skimmed over and when the show is somewhat serious, the sillyness of the situation (a high school girl becoming the captain of a ship of space pirates who will have to fight and kill people) just gets in the way. I really don't like this shift in stories we are seeing lately where something very serious is reduced to absurdity. Its happening in Rinne no Lagrange and in Mouretsu Pirates. They know they will have to fight, people will die yet they treat it like a fun game - the show even goes out of its way to sugar coat any violence. Neither Madoka nor Marika seem like the type to handle either of their situations, they view the world through optimistic-school-girl-trope glasses and it just makes light of everything around them, which is in stark contrast. I don't care for lots of violence neither do I want "realistic (I wouldn't be watching anime otherwise) but this kind of shallow, nonsensical story telling is really off putting.

That said, I am actually sticking with Rinne because it does seem like its picking up. Its also quite a bit of fun. I had to choose between our token "shoujo turned GAR" anime and so I've dumped Mouretsu as I don't have the time to keep 2 potentially trivial anime.

Inu x Boku SS is still going strong for me, despite some minor blips in story and character coherence but hopefully that should get sorted in due time.

I wasn't expecting Amagami to live up to its former season what with the abridged season but it hasn't done a huge amount for me so far. The Ayatsuji ark was good but I couldn't care less about school council election nonsense. I was very happy with the Rihoko arc ending - I was ready to rage if she didn't get a proper ending. And the last Ai arc was okay - sweet but boring, to be expected since their first season relationship wasn't that convincing, I really didn't understand why they got together. Meh.

Still loving Senki Zesshou Symphogear, story isn't hugely complex as there are gaping spoilers given to us in the show however, I cannot deny the characters are likeable and the action is awesome. I really don't know why I like this, its trying to be Macross so hard and it gives me every reason not to like it yet... I'm hooked.

Mirai Nikki is as absurd and hectic as ever. The characters make no sense and the story moves at a breakneck speed. Nonetheless, I find myself loving it still.

Persona 4 is going as it always has - amazingly funny and entertaining. I'm very, very pleased with how they have transferred it from game to anime medium, stellar characters and story so far. I have very few complaints - apart from the still stoic Yu but he is opening up so I can't argue too much.
    *edits quote to focus on shows he is following, hopes you don't mind*

I'm coming to the 6th episodes of most of this season's shows, and am thinking of stalling a few for reasons mentioned earlier in this thread, so found your thoughts on these shows helpful. :yes:

I'm struggling with Mouretsu Pirates vs Rinne no Lagrange - I'll almost certainly stall one (if not both), but both have their strengths and weaknesses. I think you and Tru have hit the nail on the head with the shallow, forgettable characters in Mouretsu though... for all that Rinne is the less technical and pretty of the two, at least the characters are fun.

If I keep Inu x Boku, it'll also be due to the hilarious characters introduced in recent eps. Last season's ongoing shows have more than enough plot to keep me happy. :yes:

Amagami is probably going; it's watchable, but the whole 'first episode dilemma arises, second episode happy ending' formula in each arc so far is too predictable and dull.

Symphogear... is pretty safe. It's not amazing, but it is entertaining.

Mirai Nikki is definitely safe, and remains my favorite ongoing series despite its flaws. Nothing this season comes close yet.

Wasn't overly keen on Persona 4 for the first few episodes - I've not played the games so felt no attachment to it beforehand, and like you couldn't get used to the non-person that was the protagonist. Recently though, it has really grown on me. The rest of the characters are great, even Yu is becoming likable in his own way, and the show itself has got a lot of style.

I'll save my thoughts on the other shows for my blog... a convenient excuse since I've not made my mind up about most of them yet. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Tbh it's been a bit meh with Moretsu pirates. However I wont drop it because even though it's at the sixth episode, I don't feel the story really started. There is no antagonist, no missions and no real movement in the plot apart from the main girl becoming a pirate. As for her personality, I still feel there might be some character development as the anime goes on or even in the next episode seeing from the preview and the current ep. So yeah it's alright but I'm still keeping it as it has potential for much more. Plus it's one of those anime that isn't that great but I still can't stop watching it.

True, but then again they're trying to put a 60 something chapter manga into an 26 episode anime and there doing a good job imo.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Unfortunately, as much as I'd like to, I'm not in the position to match your comprehensive post regarding your thoughts on the current season, only to pretty much agree with everything you've stated on those I'm following. Keep it coming, it's an absolute joy to read your posts.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Yuno is awesome, simply put. :giggle:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Truered)
    I'm four episodes in and so far it's meh to me. But I don't know if that's because of the show or because I've currently gone off anime and I'm trying to force myself through the airing shows so I don't have even more backlog when I return to watching anime properly. Have no idea of names, there's main girl, glasses girl and token male. I think they went on a space walk at some point, and there was possibly a tsundere.

That is all I remember from episodes 2-4
    Yea, I started the fourth but honestly I couldn't make it half way. I was so bored. Maybe its because I was quite tired... but never has sleep deprivation got in the way of me watching an interesting show so I'm inclined to say its the anime rather than my brain state.

I can only remember the main, Marika's, name. The rest I forget weekly and so was confused whenever others are referred to. This to me is always a flag that I'm not enjoying the show, hence I dropped it

(Original post by AngryJellyfish)
    *edits quote to focus on shows he is following, hopes you don't mind*
    Of course not :awesome:

I'm coming to the 6th episodes of most of this season's shows, and am thinking of stalling a few for reasons mentioned earlier in this thread, so found your thoughts on these shows helpful. :yes:

I'm struggling with Mouretsu Pirates vs Rinne no Lagrange - I'll almost certainly stall one (if not both), but both have their strengths and weaknesses. I think you and Tru have hit the nail on the head with the shallow, forgettable characters in Mouretsu though... for all that Rinne is the less technical and pretty of the two, at least the characters are fun.

Mouretsu is just like you said, completely forgettable. Apart from the great animation I'm really finding little to keep me hooked on the show. Its technical and detailed but without good story and defined characters, all we are watching are people talking about spaceships.

If I keep Inu x Boku, it'll also be due to the hilarious characters introduced in recent eps. Last season's ongoing shows have more than enough plot to keep me happy. :yes:

Amagami is probably going; it's watchable, but the whole 'first episode dilemma arises, second episode happy ending' formula in each arc so far is too predictable and dull.

Symphogear... is pretty safe. It's not amazing, but it is entertaining.

Mirai Nikki is definitely safe, and remains my favorite ongoing series despite its flaws. Nothing this season comes close yet.

Wasn't overly keen on Persona 4 for the first few episodes - I've not played the games so felt no attachment to it beforehand, and like you couldn't get used to the non-person that was the protagonist. Recently though, it has really grown on me. The rest of the characters are great, even Yu is becoming likable in his own way, and the show itself has got a lot of style.

I'll save my thoughts on the other shows for my blog... a convenient excuse since I've not made my mind up about most of them yet. :p:
    I definitely agree that Rinne is less technical however I wouldn't necessarily say less pretty. It is animated in a very aesthetic way and there is a lot of colour and vibrance. Having just watched Episode 06 I must say I was loving the animation and the action was pretty good. If it wasn't for the three main girls, particularly Madoka, Rinne would just be another generic mecha. Her like-ability and comedic features actually lends me to actually liking the show.

Inu x Boku is probably in my top 5 for this season. Very funny, and surprisingly I am finding myself liking the characters. Especially the lead. Its rare I take to liking tsundere characters but I like Ririchiyo. She seems to actually develop, shows us about her character and tries to address her issues and change rather than think its perfectly fine to be a tsundere. I'm staying with it for the comedy and characters, the story isn't amazing but it is definitely an interesting back drop.

Agree completely about Amagami, far too predictable this season. The Ai arc was especially predictable if not somewhat boring.

As I said, despite common sense, I have no idea why I like Symphogear so much, I just do

Definitely agree on Mirai Nikki. It had a small dip a few episodes back but its picking up now and it is picking up in full force. I finished the manga last year and I wasn't sure whether they could transition it properly into 26 episodes as The Cornerstone said but they've done a great job. Very entertaining and the characters are very engaging.

The only flaw for me in Mirai Nikki is its own double edged sword: the characters. Whilst they are great, sometimes they bend far into the absurd.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Like when Yukki's mum was killed, and his dad admitted it, he was so casual about it. Despite his supposed sadness at his mothers death, he got over it in a few hours and was laughing with his murderous dad. Right before killing a few people....
    As I said, its absurd but I love it.

I think Persona was a bit of a shaky one when it first started among people who hadn't played the game, especially with Yu. However, as it has broadened out, it has really showed its true colors.

(Original post by The Cornerstone)
    Tbh it's been a bit meh with Moretsu pirates. However I wont drop it because even though it's at the sixth episode, I don't feel the story really started. There is no antagonist, no missions and no real movement in the plot apart from the main girl becoming a pirate. As for her personality, I still feel there might be some character development as the anime goes on or even in the next episode seeing from the preview and the current ep. So yeah it's alright but I'm still keeping it as it has potential for much more. Plus it's one of those anime that isn't that great but I still can't stop watching it.
    Yea it is set for 26 episodes so it does have a ways to go. But seriously, I just can't see where it will go. As I said, the premise of the show is to put someone who makes light of something that, prima facie, shouldn't be made light of. It either means Marika is in for a rude awakening and the show turns serious, or the show continues being the light hearted, school girl cliché it is. The former seems very unlikely so I'm inclined to go with the latter.

Your last sentence though, I know exactly how you feel. It describes perfectly my current relationship with Zero no Tsukaima F. It really isn't a very good show but damn it, every week I find myself watching. :sadnod:

(Original post by Aiko)
    Unfortunately, as much as I'd like to, I'm not in the position to match your comprehensive post regarding your thoughts on the current season, only to pretty much agree with everything you've stated on those I'm following. Keep it coming, it's an absolute joy to read your posts.
    Aha, I didn't even intend to write so much, I just felt like giving my thoughts on a few shows and it turned into a long post about most (not quite all) of my current watching. Since I'm not currently blogging due to RL time constraints, TSR is the next place for short commentaries on what I'm watching. I'm glad you enjoyed it

ReputationRep:
    Well, I get a kick out of Mouretsu Pirates. I'm increasingly coming to the conclusion that some part of the story-reception stuff in my mind is just broken, because I don't think I care about the non/complexities of the show's characters or the momentum of its story.

In other news, I've been watching the first few episodes of Giant Gorg -- only five episodes have been translated -- and I think it's rather fine. The titular robot hasn't appeared yet, and so far it's been a pure chase/adventure story. The second episode involves a road battle somewhere in Nevada between a coachload of gangsters and several big rigs driven by evil corporate drones, which is the piece of animation with the biggest sense of fun I saw last week.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.