Turn on thread page Beta

The Anime Society 5: Tentacles For All! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryJellyfish)
    Can't say I'm overly impressed with Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou myself; it's had a couple of very funny episodes, but a far greater number of dull ones (including ep 9 which I watched earlier). :dontknow: Probably not my kind of humour.

I agree that the new season's shows in general are inconsistent, though. All the best things I'm watching started last season, and even they're not so great compared with other series that aired last year. I'm looking forward to Spring though, if nothing else there will be a wider range of new shows to choose from. :yes:

(Original post by vin)
    Watched the first 3 eps of Nichibros.. whilst some of it was quite funny, some of it wasnt. It didnt leave enough of an impression on me to pick it up.:no:
    I'm watching NichiBros with a group - probably why I'm enjoying it more, I'd imagine it wouldn't be as fun on my own. Although I like this style of comedy anyway, quite similar to Gintama (although no where near as brilliant).

Need to get started on Spring Preview stuff........wonder how long it will take me this time :moon:

ReputationRep:
    just started watching Another, creepy **** :afraid: gona leave this for daytime watching methinks

behind that eye patch..

Spoiler:
    Show
    man all that suspense and it was just that, was expecting something a lot more creepy :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eugenius 8)
    just started watching Another, creepy **** :afraid: gona leave this for daytime watching methinks

behind that eye patch..

Spoiler:
    Show
    man all that suspense and it was just that, was expecting something a lot more creepy :p:
    I can't go an episode of Another without breaking into fits of laughter - show lacks any kind of subtlety or deftness when attempting to create atmosphere and the death scenes are fecking hilarious :giggle:
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by caraniel)
    For those that are interested, a few of the aniblogsphere events are starting up shortly - SaiMecha and the 2nd Aniblog Tourney.

It will be interesting to see how things have changed since the last installments. While SaiMecha is looking to be an annual event, it's been a full two years since the Aniblog Tourney - hard to believe, it really doesn't feel like it's been that long! I'm unlikely to make the 2nd round this time given the sharp drop off in my posts (only retro blogging Infinite Ryvius at the moment after all), but it will be fun to follow - there are a lot of excellent new blogs this time.
    Not quite as impressive as a 2nd round placement in a Aniblog tournament open to anyone, but mine just got nominated for the Liebster Blog Award by the awesome Black Strawberry. :proud: Can't help but feel out of my depth compared to some of the others though, both in terms of look (I'm still using the same banner I threw together in early 2010) and content. :o:

I don't mind Another's lack of subtlety, it reminds me of so many 'good but bad' horror movies I watched while at university. The gore is fun, the mystery is a bonus. It's not perfect and certainly won't make my 5 star list, but remains my favorite new show of the season. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    :waffo:
    I've been avoiding your blog because I fell behind on Mirai nikki (episode 12 currently) and I was wondering what were your general thoughts? I feel the diary holders aren't getting too much time to develop and keep getting knocked off

I can't go an episode of Another without breaking into fits of laughter - show lacks any kind of subtlety or deftness when attempting to create atmosphere and the death scenes are fecking hilarious :giggle:
    Episode 8

Spoiler:
    Show

Speedboat out of nowhere

I don't think I can take it seriously anymore

ReputationRep:
    Not quite as impressive as a 2nd round placement in a Aniblog tournament open to anyone, but mine just got nominated for the Liebster Blog Award by the awesome Black Strawberry. :proud: Can't help but feel out of my depth compared to some of the others though, both in terms of look (I'm still using the same banner I threw together in early 2010) and content. :o:

I don't mind Another's lack of subtlety, it reminds me of so many 'good but bad' horror movies I watched while at university. The gore is fun, the mystery is a bonus. It's not perfect and certainly won't make my 5 star list, but remains my favorite new show of the season. :yes:
    Ooh congrats! That's a pretty cool scheme actually - I haven't heard of it actually, but it seems like a great way to highlight new, underrated blogs.
    I'm using the same theme as when I started, just change the banner & colour scheme occasionally when I get bored :P so I wouldn't worry about your theme - it's simple and suits the purpose fine!

You'd definitely be eligible for this Aniblog Tourney you know AJ - are you on Anime Nano? I might mention your blog to Scamp (The Cart Driver) or Vuc (Altair & Vega) next time I'm talking to them actually - trust me, it's a brilliant way to get new readers/feedback/new blogs to read.

(Original post by Truered)
    I've been avoiding your blog because I fell behind on Mirai nikki (episode 12 currently) and I was wondering what were your general thoughts? I feel the diary holders aren't getting too much time to develop and keep getting knocked off

Episode 8

Spoiler:
    Show

Speedboat out of nowhere

I don't think I can take it seriously anymore

Yeah that scene just had me giggling like a loon
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I had a bet going with folks on Skype that there would be a shark related death though - unfortunately I lost

ReputationRep:

Spoiler:
    Show
    I had a bet going with folks on Skype that there would be a shark related death though - unfortunately I lost
    Same here :five:

Spoiler:
    Show

After the fake out I thought they might be brave and not have an obvious death.

Then when it kept going I was waiting for a great white to appear out of nowhere :awesome:

• Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Ooh congrats! That's a pretty cool scheme actually - I haven't heard of it actually, but it seems like a great way to highlight new, underrated blogs.
    I'm using the same theme as when I started, just change the banner & colour scheme occasionally when I get bored :P so I wouldn't worry about your theme - it's simple and suits the purpose fine!

You'd definitely be eligible for this Aniblog Tourney you know AJ - are you on Anime Nano? I might mention your blog to Scamp (The Cart Driver) or Vuc (Altair & Vega) next time I'm talking to them actually - trust me, it's a brilliant way to get new readers/feedback/new blogs to read.
    You've recommended it to me twice before, and I've not signed up because I don't like the thought of having to stick to rules, and I haven't got a clue what RSS2 is...
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Truered)
    With 12 characters and only twice as many episodes to play with, there's a need for fast pacing and the less important diary owners continue to suffer from lack of development as a result. But they're not that important anyway IMO, fun but disposable. The main characters develop a little as the series goes on, though this is also rushed and not always believable. :nah:

My general thoughts are that as long as the plot and characters remain as insane as they already are, I don't care how shallow they are. :giggle:

ReputationRep:
    You've recommended it to me twice before, and I've not signed up because I don't like the thought of having to stick to rules, and I haven't got a clue what RSS2 is...
    Hahaha~! I keep recommending it because I really think your posts deserve more readers! Rules? Oh the sign up restrictions? Kabitzin just has those so that there isn't a massive influx of people who blog for a couple of months before getting bored - they only want bloggers who've committed the time already & just need more exposure. As I said you're more than qualified. After the initial sign up & acceptance you can just forget about Nano completely & enjoy the referrals it sends you.

Your RSS2 feed should be http://angryjellyfish.wordpress.com/feed/ - thats what I used to subscribe to your feed on google reader.

I'll shut up now....... :redface:
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Hahaha~! I keep recommending it because I really think your posts deserve more readers! Rules? Oh the sign up restrictions? Kabitzin just has those so that there isn't a massive influx of people who blog for a couple of months before getting bored - they only want bloggers who've committed the time already & just need more exposure. As I said you're more than qualified. After the initial sign up & acceptance you can just forget about Nano completely & enjoy the referrals it sends you.

Your RSS2 feed should be http://angryjellyfish.wordpress.com/feed/ - thats what I used to subscribe to your feed on google reader.

I'll shut up now....... :redface:
    Fine, you've convinced me, my blog is now in the queue. :p: The worst they can do is not accept it, so I've got nothing to lose.

On the off chance, do you have less than 200 blog followers? Only that's one of the criteria for nominating people for the Liebster Blog Award, and I'm struggling to come up with 5 names since there's doesn't seem to be an easy way of checking follower counts on Wordpress. :o: Pretty sure most of those I'm following are big, though. *has a grand total of 13*

---

I read the first volume of Rave Master... I felt like I'd read it before, it was that generic. :p: I don't doubt that it improves later on though, once the basic introductory stuff is out of the way. :giggle:

ReputationRep:
    Fine, you've convinced me, my blog is now in the queue. :p: The worst they can do is not accept it, so I've got nothing to lose.

On the off chance, do you have less than 200 blog followers? Only that's one of the criteria for nominating people for the Liebster Blog Award, and I'm struggling to come up with 5 names since there's doesn't seem to be an easy way of checking follower counts on Wordpress. :o: Pretty sure most of those I'm following are big, though. *has a grand total of 13*
    Yay~! (You should add an RSS feed widget to your sidebar - makes it easier for people to subscribe; Wordpress have one preloaded, just need to stick in your feed URL & bingo RSS feed sub button & list of your last 5 posts)

Um, I think including external feedreader subscriptions I have closer to 350 followers now - but I signed up with numerous blog aggregators (most of which are now dead), built up a fairly large twitter following & made contacts with a lot of anibloggers with huge reader bases - my biggest referrers after search engines and Anime Nano are Sea Slugs Anime Blog, Metanorn and The Cart Driver. Granted I'm a member of a rather small circle in the aniblogosphere in the grand scheme of things, but I get steady traffic as a result (between 200-300 views per day, more on days I actually post stuff)........which makes me feel guilty about the dearth of content on the fecking thing.

And after all that blathering about blogging, I think I'd better go write my next Infinite Ryvius post :giggle:
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Yay~! (You should add an RSS feed widget to your sidebar - makes it easier for people to subscribe; Wordpress have one preloaded, just need to stick in your feed URL & bingo RSS feed sub button & list of your last 5 posts)
    I *think* I just added the RSS widget correctly, though I really have no idea what I'm doing with that. I guess as long as other people do, and it helps them, that's the main thing. :p:

Finished Paniponi Dash... what a strange show. :hmmmm2: I'll be starting Tower of Druaga next, might go straight on to the sequel afterwards since they're both in the same DVD box set.

ReputationRep:
    Today I sat and watched all 12 episodes of DMC for the first time. I still see vin as Krauser II :mmm:

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else like no.6? I first watched it about a month ago, a short series, but its pretty good. That and Shion and Nezumi are such a cute couple :love:
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by GirasoleL)
    Anyone else like no.6? I first watched it about a month ago, a short series, but its pretty good. That and Shion and Nezumi are such a cute couple :love:
    I liked it overall; plot didn't make much sense by the end, though. :p:

ReputationRep:

Spoiler:
    Show
    What i can't understand is how in Episode 9 the stupid overly cheerful boy manages to ruin the tape by not knowing the BASIC fact that when removing a cassette, wait for it to stop playing! Were the characters made to be deliberately stupid? And how is it that their school is still up and running. You would have thought that some form of law enforcement would have got wind of the hundreds of deaths taking place at that school. AND WHY DONT PEOPLE JUST MOVE OUT OF TOWN! -sigh- This anime is full of unanswered questions.... :dry: -Vent over-

ReputationRep:
    I liked it overall; plot didn't make much sense by the end, though. :p:
    Ahah yeah, but I guess there are a few animes like that Either way its an enjoyable show, even if the plot can be a bit confusing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GirasoleL)
    Apart from the ending self-destructing (wasp tornadoes & magical trees? WTF?) I liked the early parts of the show dealing with Shion & Nezumi's relationship - plot just went way too crazy to make it a favourite though.

(Original post by R4INBOW)
    What i can't understand is how in Episode 9 the stupid overly cheerful boy manages to ruin the tape by not knowing the BASIC fact that when removing a cassette, wait for it to stop playing! Were the characters made to be deliberately stupid? And how is it that their school is still up and running. You would have thought that some form of law enforcement would have got wind of the hundreds of deaths taking place at that school. AND WHY DONT PEOPLE JUST MOVE OUT OF TOWN! -sigh- This anime is full of unanswered questions.... :dry: -Vent over-
    Yeah it's probably not good for your mental health to attempt to take Another seriously - it's got way too many stupid plot lines and idiots in it to do that. Most people I know are treating the show as a comedy, and it's actually pretty funny when you watch it like that :giggle:

ReputationRep:
    Apart from the ending self-destructing (wasp tornadoes & magical trees? WTF?) I liked the early parts of the show dealing with Shion & Nezumi's relationship - plot just went way too crazy to make it a favourite though.

Yeah it's probably not good for your mental health to attempt to take Another seriously - it's got way too many stupid plot lines and idiots in it to do that. Most people I know are treating the show as a comedy, and it's actually pretty funny when you watch it like that :giggle:
    :gasp: I am now going to watch it with that mindset. Might make the series less idiotic in my eyes. Nonetheless it's still something i look forward too during the week ( Alongside Natsume Yuujinchou, Mirai Nikki, Chihayafuru, Sket Dan and the other hundreds of anime that at least have a somewhat meaningful plot line) Oops i think my otaku hate rays are oozing :cute:

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.