Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Anime Society 5: Tentacles For All! watch

Announcements
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Facticity)
    Bread and Breasts or to go by its official name, Shiawase no Pan, is dreadfully boring and really quite generic on just about every level. Don't think I'll be keeping it :no:
    I didn't mind this one too much. Yeah, it was nothing special and I doubt I'll be continuing with it weekly, but there was something rather pleasant about watching a bunch of generic anime characters run a bread business for their local community.

Also, on a side note as I'm too lazy to post in the chat thread or send a PM, how are you finding your time in Japan? Moreover, are you watching your anime on television or preferring to download it with subtitles?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    One show that does have stellar characterization though, is new season pilot Sakamichi no Apollon. As a music lover and a drummer, this show has immediately caught my eye but then after the pilot, I'm sure this will be good. Awesome OP, great music in general, loved the presentation and the story looks set to be quite fun and musical, if anything. In the top most anticipated for me ^_^
    This was easily one of the strongest that has aired so far. If the opening episode is anything to go by, great premise, scripting and characterisation. I've been hoping for an anime that's comparable to Beck and this might just be it, although I'm not expecting a replica by any means. It also helps that I like and play jazz (I'm a casual pianist that's currently listening to Billy Childs).

That said, I'm not sure on whether I should watch Astral Ocean. Any one have any ideas? I haven't seen the original Eureka Seven but I heard this story is unrelated bar a few references. Should I watch the original first? Don't know when I'd have time to finish 51 episodes though and I hate taking ages to watch a show, looses its effect I find.
    I haven't seen this yet (just about to), but I can definitely recommend watching the first. It's arguably one of Bones's best.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aiko)

Aha, fair enough. I considered the ending(s) as the icing on a very lacklustre cake.
    I demand a Higurashi harem genre

Watched 9 episodes of Hunter x hunter in a row yesterday :cool:

I'm being a good boy now and sticking to CR and DVDs :mmm:

ReputationRep:
    Fate/Zero 15

That BGM, so good.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Aiko)
    [
    Aha, fair enough. I considered the ending(s) as the icing on a very lacklustre cake.
    Oh I agree, I don't think anyone thought it the ending was good per se, just so shockingly unexpected that it seemed to make everyone find it just about bearable as a whole.

(Original post by Aiko)
    I didn't mind this one too much. Yeah, it was nothing special and I doubt I'll be continuing with it weekly, but there was something rather pleasant about watching a bunch of generic anime characters run a bread business for their local community.

Also, on a side note as I'm too lazy to post in the chat thread or send a PM, how are you finding your time in Japan? Moreover, are you watching your anime on television or preferring to download it with subtitles?
    Errm it was just very dull. It was as if Bread was the inspiration in this story as opposed to just a plot line. It actually seems as if bread has no role in the story yet is the sole focus of the story, how that works The main problem I have is no one has any character, apart from maybe those elves. The lead is absolutely devoid of character, and the three girls are exactly the same in different clothes. And they are too happy. And love bread too much. Whilst there is nothing wrong with a happy and pleasant story, it often makes for a boring plot =/

Aha sure thing, I'll indulge your off topic chat :P I am finding it quite the experience, definitely not how I thought it was going to be like (though, that isn't a bad thing). Coincidentally, I found an Animate store near me today and proceeded to have a visual experience I've yet to encounter in england aha. I do watch some anime on TV but I'd be lying if I said I understood it entirely. I catch maybe about a quarter of what they say, and that's if they use basic or typical language. One of the hardest things isn't the language, but the subtle pronounciations and speed of speech. Also, I have basic TV so apart from major shonen like Bleach, One Piece, Naruto, Sket, Gintama etc I don't catch other shows. So for the most part, still a subber :yes:

(Original post by Aiko)
    This was easily one of the strongest that has aired so far. If the opening episode is anything to go by, great premise, scripting and characterisation. I've been hoping for an anime that's comparable to Beck and this might just be it, although I'm not expecting a replica by any means. It also helps that I like and play jazz (I'm a casual pianist that's currently listening to Billy Childs).

I haven't seen this yet (just about to), but I can definitely recommend watching the first. It's arguably one of Bones's best.
    Yes, I was just thinking of the comparison to Beck. I doubt they'll be similar though, especially with the sadly short 1 cour of Apollon. Though the OP is officially my favourite this season, and the ED is pretty good, I've yet to actually hear much jazz. Hopefully, this doesn't turn into a K-ON! All about music but with none of the above! But I guess with Yoko Kanno in this, I doubt that will happen. I'm still looking for a soundtrack to replace Wolf's Rain and GITS: SAC as my favourites from her.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    I read a hilarious mock-review of Shiawase no Pan on MAL, talking about how awesome the protagonist was because of his bread, and how awesome the bread was because of the protagonist, but it got taken down. Instead there's a new one where the reviewer suggests you replace the word 'bread' with 'penis' for the lulz.

Myself, I quite liked it. Feels like a second season of Shukufuku no Campanella. :giggle: If I do blog a new series this season, I'll probably pick
    Shiawase no Pan for that reason, though it also helps that I could theoretically catch up with and finish writing about Mirai Nikki before the second ep comes out and I fall horribly behind. :beard:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Oh I agree, I don't think anyone thought it the ending was good per se, just so shockingly unexpected that it seemed to make everyone find it just about bearable as a whole.
    Personally, I was indifferent regarding the ending (by this point, I had almost lost interest), but I'll accept that School Days did have one arguable quality in its ability to keep the viewer engaged.

Errm it was just very dull. It was as if Bread was the inspiration in this story as opposed to just a plot line. It actually seems as if bread has no role in the story yet is the sole focus of the story, how that works The main problem I have is no one has any character, apart from maybe those elves. The lead is absolutely devoid of character, and the three girls are exactly the same in different clothes. And they are too happy. And love bread too much. Whilst there is nothing wrong with a happy and pleasant story, it often makes for a boring plot =/
    Yeah, I understand where you're coming from. Still, on my part I'll probably keep it going for a few more episodes to see if it offers anything of interest, but admittedly it's unlikely I'll end up watching it weekly.

Aha sure thing, I'll indulge your off topic chat :P I am finding it quite the experience, definitely not how I thought it was going to be like (though, that isn't a bad thing).
    Oh, really? Curiously, what were you expecting and how has it differed? It's pretty common to have a preconceived notion of what a country is like, especially if you haven't visited the continent before.

Coincidentally, I found an Animate store near me today and proceeded to have a visual experience I've yet to encounter in england aha.
    Ha, I bet. :giggle: When you were in Tokyo, did you have a chance to visit Akiba?

I do watch some anime on TV but I'd be lying if I said I understood it entirely. I catch maybe about a quarter of what they say, and that's if they use basic or typical language. One of the hardest things isn't the language, but the subtle pronounciations and speed of speech. Also, I have basic TV so apart from major shonen like Bleach, One Piece, Naruto, Sket, Gintama etc I don't catch other shows. So for the most part, still a subber :yes:
    Oh, sorry... I forgot about subtitles when I posted. I was just thinking about easier accessibility as I tend to watch most of my anime on the TV when I go back, especially as I have the ability to record them.

Yes, I was just thinking of the comparison to Beck. I doubt they'll be similar though, especially with the sadly short 1 cour of Apollon. Though the OP is officially my favourite this season, and the ED is pretty good, I've yet to actually hear much jazz. Hopefully, this doesn't turn into a K-ON! All about music but with none of the above! But I guess with Yoko Kanno in this, I doubt that will happen. I'm still looking for a soundtrack to replace Wolf's Rain and GITS: SAC as my favourites from her.
    As I say, not a replica, but certainly comparable in terms of its musical premise. I doubt it'll go the way of a 4-koma like K-ON as it's based off a manga of merit. Well, one would hope, anyway.

Edit:

(Original post by Truered)
    I demand a Higurashi harem genre
    Not beyond the realms of possibility, I'm sure.

Watched 9 episodes of Hunter x hunter in a row yesterday :cool:

I'm being a good boy now and sticking to CR and DVDs :mmm:
    It's a good shounen series. Like DB Kai, I'm preferring to wait until this remake finishes before picking it up.

On the topic of purchases, I randomly came across a vinyl of Yuji Ohno's Lupin III and bought it on impulse, which I thought was rather befitting given the new series that's airing.

Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    Started watching Macross Frontier yesterday; so far so good. The animation is very impressive, but it does all feel a bit cliché and shiny (though that does give it a certain charm) but there were some awkward fan-boy moments (the gooey egg white on the girls' faces scene...)
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Episode 15 of Fate Zero was great as usual; such beautiful animation by ufotable, truly movie level stuff. As much as I like the exposition that happens throughout this series, the animation really helps to make action orientated episodes like this shine.

Also, I was pleasantly surprised by the level of character development in episode 2 of Sankarea. Rea's family situation was handled extremely well and I'm now looking forward to where there will take this now that she has...

Spoiler:
    Show
    drank the formula that amusedly worked and will presumably become a zombie as a result.

ReputationRep:
    Voting on the 2nd Aniblog Tourney has started if anyone is interested. My match with AJ opens tomorrow - polls are only open for 48hrs from 8pm GMT (so 9pm).

Polls are looking interesting already - I always like to see what kind of blog people like reading/voting for.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Aiko)
    Yeah, I understand where you're coming from. Still, on my part I'll probably keep it going for a few more episodes to see if it offers anything of interest, but admittedly it's unlikely I'll end up watching it weekly.
    I'm championing a 3 episode minimum trial for every show, unless I absolutely detest it, because last season taught me to give things a chance and they may surprise you i.e. PapaKiki.

Oh, really? Curiously, what were you expecting and how has it differed? It's pretty common to have a preconceived notion of what a country is like, especially if you haven't visited the continent before.
    Oh you know, nothing particularly poignant, just the usual stereotypes and eccentricities of any group of people you visit. Nothing really in mind, nor was I particularly expecting anything. But everyday I learn something new about the group of people I thought I had some idea about - only reinforcing my obvious lack of genuine knowledge about the place aha. As you said, its normal to have preconceived notions, and whilst I try not to learn anything from anime, all sorts of silly ideas run in your head before arriving

Ha, I bet. :giggle: When you were in Tokyo, did you have a chance to visit Akiba?
    I did go to Akihabara but it was only one evening for a couple hours. I didn't have a huge shop or time to look around in particular but towards the end of my trip I fly out from Tokyo so I'll be there for a week or so probably to explore the city and shops.

Oh, sorry... I forgot about subtitles when I posted. I was just thinking about easier accessibility as I tend to watch most of my anime on the TV when I go back, especially as I have the ability to record them.
    Aha, well it is pretty good seeing anime on TV. I guess the only thing is that its also odd not seeing subtitles

ReputationRep:
    Nominations for this years Sai Mecha tournament are now open~! Few changes to the rules, so should shake things up a bit. Get your nominations into Executive Otaku before the 29th April! Must get thinking about what I want to nominate this year (although I still really like the mechs I nominated last year!)

ReputationRep:
    I'm surprised the Zaku didn't win.

Edit: Just caught up on the last 4 weeks of Aquarion Evol. So good. Every time I hear the Genesis OP, my heart beats that bit faster.

ReputationRep:
    Everyone needs to go watch Chihayafuru right now. I just finished watching the show and it made me cry buckets of shojo tears.

The art style is so crisp and clean. It has a great soundtrack too that integrates really well with the emotional highs and lows of the show. So heartwarming. If you have a soul then you NEED to watch this.

I guess the only downside is that it's actually about Karuta...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Pudding_Earl)
    Everyone needs to go watch Chihayafuru right now. I just finished watching the show and it made me cry buckets of shojo tears.

The art style is so crisp and clean. It has a great soundtrack too that integrates really well with the emotional highs and lows of the show. So heartwarming. If you have a soul then you NEED to watch this.

My local anime club are planning to show it next year, which is the only reason I haven't watched it myself. The first episode was good fun.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    That's a downside? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Mirai Nikki is over:sad:

but there were some things that didnt seem quite right or maybe i missed something:hmmmm:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    the mayor finding out he dies from yuukis diary before the game starts.. why didnt he do that in the first or second worlds :confused:

there were some other things but they slipped my mind:hmmmm:

:huff: already did
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by vin)
    Mirai Nikki is over:sad:

but there were some things that didnt seem quite right or maybe i missed something:hmmmm:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    the mayor finding out he dies from yuukis diary before the game starts.. why didnt he do that in the first or second worlds :confused:

there were some other things but they slipped my mind:hmmmm:
    Mirai Nikki ending spoilers:

Spoiler:
    Show
    I can only assume that, in the beginning, the mayor was meant to win, and that it was the actions of Yuki and Yuno later on which changed that future. Whereas in the third world, those changes occurred much earlier, before he and Deus had fully committed to the idea of future diaries. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Hmm that makes sense, but with a bit more time the series could explain these things.:huff:

It was a good series overall. Thought it started off really well. Was quite dark :tongue: but then became lighter in the middle. Wasnt so keen on yuki and friends.:huff: The last part felt a bit rushed. But it entertained me throughout. Yuno's antics. :giggle: Her stalkerness. :afraid:

Btw Im not sure who to vote for in that blog thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryJellyfish)
    That's a downside? :confused:
    I guess it means that lame people won't watch it because they don't understand!

(Original post by vin)
    :huff: already did
    Then you get to live :emog:

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.