Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Sankarea, Uchuu Kyodai, Sakamichi no Apollon, Kuroko no Basuke and Mystery Girlfriend X are definite top 5 for me, if not the best so far of 2012. I discount Fate/Zero because it started in Autumn 2011.

Oh and Nyaruko, but its so hot and cold lately.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    My top 5 of the season are currently Sakamichi no Apollon, Fate/Zero S2 (pretty sure it didn't air at all in winter. :lolwut: The first half was an autumn series), Tsuritama, Eureka Seven AO and Sankarea.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I meant autumn sorry I'm not catching Eureka Seven AO because I've yet to see the original. People say you don't have to but I don't feel right doing so.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Facticity)
    I meant autumn sorry I'm not catching Eureka Seven AO because I've yet to see the original. People say you don't have to but I don't feel right doing so.
    I know what you mean. It's the same reason I didn't watch Mine Fujiko to Iu Onna, I'd like to at least watch Part II and Part III of Lupin before moving on to its spinoff. :p:

ReputationRep:
    I cannot count fate zero "S2" in any top list of the season because thats cheating when its just the rest of the series.:hmmm:

(Original post by AngryJellyfish)
    I know what you mean. It's the same reason I didn't watch Mine Fujiko to Iu Onna, I'd like to at least watch Part II and Part III of Lupin before moving on to its spinoff. :p:
    Its not quite the same when there's a 30 yr gap between them.:tongue: Besides its a prequel.:yes:
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Fine then, my 5th top series of the season would be Jormungand, if Fate/Zero S2 was not counted. :sigh:

As far as I'm concerned though, it's a second season if there was a gap in the middle (or if the creators say so in the case of Phi Brain S2). It has a separate entry on Anime-Planet, which means it'll end up taking two spots in my Top 50 either way (assuming the ending doesn't suck).

ReputationRep:
    Oh man that performance in Sakamichi no Apollon 07 was great. :zomg:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Just when I thought Sakamichi was definite best this week, Fate/Zero once again steps in and blow it out of the water. That episode was amazing. Dat bike :coma:

ReputationRep:
    Watching Elfen Lied atm. Can't believe I waited this long to watch it!
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Facticity)
    Just when I thought Sakamichi was definite best this week, Fate/Zero once again steps in and blow it out of the water. That episode was amazing. Dat bike :coma:
    The exact opposite is happening in my weekly rankings on my blog - Fate/Zero still hasn't taken 1st place even once. Usually thanks to Sakamichi no Apollon, though Tsuritama and Eureka Seven AO have also beaten it once or twice. I'm thinking it's down to the pacing - much more happens in an average episode of Apollon than in Fate/Zero. :dontknow:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    The exact opposite is happening in my weekly rankings on my blog - Fate/Zero still hasn't taken 1st place even once. Usually thanks to Sakamichi no Apollon, though Tsuritama and Eureka Seven AO have also beaten it once or twice. I'm thinking it's down to the pacing - much more happens in an average episode of Apollon than in Fate/Zero. :dontknow:
    Hmm, there was so much exposition in this that I couldn't help but love it. There is a lot more to F/Z than action, though it has a tendency to use wordy dialogue too much, this time, it was scripted very well. There is definitely a certain sadistic genius in Urobuchi and this episode was a vivid reminder of that.

Tsuritama has been very good but I don't know I just don't feel it does anything particularly special. It is feel good consistently every week but again I don't know that it does anything particularly "wow" compared to series like F/Z, Sakamichi, Jormungand, Kuroko or even MGX. I enjoy Tsuritama alot but there isn't much to say about it.

That said, MGX took a sharp turn this week. Hmm...

ReputationRep:
    F/Z 21

Spoiler:
    Show
    Finally see Saber using the bike after it being hyped up since the start of the first season. Also Kariya :shock:. Was expecting him to say he loved Sakura :sexface:
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Carecup)
    F/Z 21

Spoiler:
    Show
    Was expecting him to say he loved Sakura :sexface:
    So was I, actually. :giggle:

ReputationRep:
    Anyone watching Accel World?

Decided to give it a try on a whim and was pleasantly surprised. While it pretty clearly follows the shonen monster of the week format with RPG-esk explanations it does not have the a MC for which the viewer can insert themselves into due to him being so very different from everyone else around him. Once more it appears to be tackling issues that most shows would take a season or two to get to
    Spoiler:
    Show
    the three childhood friends who drift apart as they get older, the leading lady who's initial feelings morph from using the MC to a maternal bond eventually turning into love

While it could very easily turn to **** if they carry with the butterfly girl fan service and putting too much emphasis on the fights rather than the characters, I'm hopeful that it'll stay as a decent series.

Oh and have a gif
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    No Saki: Achiga-hen this week... how ever will I cope? :bawling: Guess I'll have to find something else to put in my bottom three this time. :p:

ReputationRep:
    needed some inspiration and watching the ending of tengen toppa gurren lagann seemed to have worked :cry2:

fight da power!

ReputationRep:
    Caught up on the last 3 weeks of Aquarion EVOL. Watched this week's Fate/Zero and Hyouka. It was enjoyable.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Started both of my latest manga purchases: Outlanders is decent so far, there's much more to it than what was covered in the 50 minute OVA at least. The bonus chapter at the end of the first volume was pretty much Urusei Yatsura with different character designs, though. :giggle: They certainly don't look like manga volumes from the outside; it seems as though they've gotten a Western artist to do sci-fi drawings in the style of the manga-ka... nice looking, but not quite as ':teeth:' as the originals. :p:

As for 7 Billion Needles, the premise bears a similarity to another series I recently finished, Alien Nine, but it seems even darker and more serious - really liking it so far. Again, the English version cover looks quite different from the Japanese, and unlike any other manga I currently own... but in this case, it was the fact it stuck out so much that convinced me to look into and then buy it. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    I've been watching Da Garn, the '92-93 instalment of the Yuusha shows. It's great fun: one of its rules seems to be that any machine or vehicle which is remotely cool must become a transforming robot, because that is inherently awesome. The villain is a mechanical design connoisseur who spends a lot of his time criticising the show's designs.

--

As for 7 Billion Needles, the premise bears a similarity to another series I recently finished, Alien Nine, but it seems even darker and more serious - really liking it so far.
    Oh man, I really like Alien Nine, and I remember reading a very positive review of 7BN. Maybe I'll have to use some of that spare time I don't have and check it out.

ReputationRep:
    I've just recently gotten into watching anime over the past few weeks (introduced by a college friend). The first anime that I watched was Elfen Lied, which had me hooked from start to finish — I absolutely loved it.

I've now moved on to Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni, which was top of the 'recommended/similar animes' list on Elfen Lied's Anime Planet page. To begin with I wasn't too sure about it, but now that I'm over half way through and the story is starting to come together I'm really enjoying it.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.