Turn on thread page Beta

The Anime Society 5: Tentacles For All! watch

• Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Keoje)
    Oh this is a new thread :shock:

Need to get some more movies for animoo :teeth: Do you know if the new-ish(Feb 2010 iirc) studio ghibli movie is out?
    As far as I know, the Japanese DVDs aren't due out until June, so no. :no: Welcome to the Space Show is supposedly similar in feel to a lot of Ghibli films though, so you might want to consider that as an alternative.

Other recent subbed films include Eve no Jikan (check out that rating), Loups=Garous, Nanoha the Movie 1st (all of season 1 summarized, with much better animation apparently) and Bungaku Shoujo. Haven't seen any of them yet either, so I can't comment on how good they are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryJellyfish)
    As far as I know, the Japanese DVDs aren't due out until June, so no. :no: Welcome to the Space Show is supposedly similar in feel to a lot of Ghibli films though, so you might want to consider that as an alternative.

Other recent subbed films include Eve no Jikan (check out that rating), Loups=Garous, Nanoha the Movie 1st (all of season 1 summarized, with much better animation apparently) and Bungaku Shoujo. Haven't seen any of them yet either, so I can't comment on how good they are.
    I'll take a look into these. Thanks a bunch AJ

ReputationRep:
    Hajime no Ippo ep 57 :bawling:
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    New logo is up.

ReputationRep:
    Hahaha Fullmetal Alchemist 37 is the most hilarious episode yet
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    I'm now getting hold of The Twelve Kingdoms, which is pretty much the last series on my old 'must download' list. I have a shiny new list (with some not so shiny new series on it :p:), but for the sake of my disk space and my already huge want to watch list I'll resist the urge to download those series myself. If someone at Aberanime happens to have them, however, that's a different matter entirely. :p:

*is fairly certain he could get Votoms, Asura Cryin' and [email protected] Xenoglossia this way, if not more*

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering, opinions on the following (considering watching):

-The rest of Haruhi season 2 after Endless Eight (after EE (yes I know I'm stupid) I watched the first of the film makey episodes and gave up because I hated the characters so much by that part but it might have worn off by now~)
    -Haruhi film
    -Chaos;head (new anime by the same people is about a microwave which sends text messages to the past, wondering if their last is any good~)
    -Fractale

thanks nya~

Now to get through all the Chinese films I've bought and not got round to watching yet -_-'
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by meowmeowmutiny)
    I can only comment on the ones I've seen myself, so here goes:

Chaos;Head - Well the start of the series was amazing in my opinion, but it fell apart towards the end. I'd say its worth a look, but don't expect a masterpiece.

Fractale - Decidedly average. Not a bad show overall, but I've come to expect much better from noitaminA. More consistant than Chaos;Head at least.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meowmeowmutiny)

-The rest of Haruhi season 2 after Endless Eight (after EE (yes I know I'm stupid) I watched the first of the film makey episodes and gave up because I hated the characters so much by that part but it might have worn off by now~)
    -Haruhi film
    -Chaos;head (new anime by the same people is about a microwave which sends text messages to the past, wondering if their last is any good~)
    -Fractale

thanks nya~

Now to get through all the Chinese films I've bought and not got round to watching yet -_-'
    The only thing I could recommend in good faith on that list is the Haruhi movie.

S2 Haruhi wasn't brilliant, Chaos;Head trainwrecked after a promising start & Fractale was a bitter disappointment - lots of great ideas but had no idea how to capitalize on them.

ReputationRep:
    why does no one like fractale

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aiko)
    :blah: quake:blah:
    ippo ep 60 :s:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    how come the championship belt was between sendo and vorg after ippo lost :s: shouldnt he have been closer to it since he beat them both :confused:

vorg and sendo's fight didnt conclude satisfyingly :sad:

vorg

:mad: I dont like how the comic soc thread is red now, it sticks out more then ours.:hmpf: This one should be atleast purple!:unimpressed:
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by vin)
    why does no one like fractale
    Because they promoted it as something completely new and exciting, but it turned out to be Nadia meets The Matrix or something along those lines. The pacing was a bit iffy too.

I've seen people complain that the promo art looks nothing like the series either, which is true, but that wouldn't be enough to put me off a series. Well, okay, it nearly put me off Sora no Woto, but I have no complaints about Fractale on the animation side.

(Original post by vin)
    :mad: I dont like how the comic soc thread is red now, it sticks out more then ours.:hmpf: This one should be atleast purple!:unimpressed:
    Let them be red. They need to stand out to survive TBH, considering the fact we're dominating this subforum in terms of thread counts and overall activity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryJellyfish)
    Because they promoted it as something completely new and exciting, but it turned out to be Nadia meets The Matrix or something along those lines. The pacing was a bit iffy too.

I've seen people complain that the promo art looks nothing like the series either, which is true, but that wouldn't be enough to put me off a series. Well, okay, it nearly put me off Sora no Woto, but I have no complaints about Fractale on the animation side.

Let them be red. They need to stand out to survive TBH, considering the fact we're dominating this subforum in terms of thread counts and overall activity.
    what the hell are you talking about :confused: what fool pays that much attention to promo material that they use it to judge an actual series :indiff:

my issue with it was that they hinted at this interesting world but didnt delve further into it only really skimming over its surface for instance I would have loved to have seen how humanity came to be so dependant on such an elaborate illusion of prosperity.:sad: With more eps maybe all this could have been developed But overall not bad and certainly not a dissapointment. :eyebrow:

they clearly dont deserve to survive :huff:
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Toriko and Kaiji 2 are subbed! :excited: I was undecided on the two shows I've picked up so far, opting to give them a chance anyway, but it'll be nice to start two series I'm very unlikely to drop.

ReputationRep:
    Kaiji :afraid: I want to wait till its finished so I can watch it in one go like before but ...:afraid: I dont think I can wait :cry2:

zawa zawa :afraid:

ReputationRep:
    lucky star beat haruhi as the display pic for the society? =[
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by HilariousNinja)
    I think he's looking through one of these
    Ah, that would make sense. :tongue:

(Original post by whitepearlbaby)
    I have a bit of a crush on Zoro :o:

If you can have crushes on fictional characters :mmm:
    Of course. :smile: After all, fiction has no boundaries in its pursuit of idealism. :tongue:

(Original post by bill-e)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Yup, I see where your coming from. The thing I liked about this arc is how they all worked together more. As opposed to splitting up and fighting different people and coming back to see Luffy fight the main bad guy as they usually do. e.g. when they were taking out Oz, they did it together. Also certain relationships grew, such as Sanji and Zoro. Besides that, as you said, the main villain wasn't great and the end fight (even end move on moria) wasn't. I love how I stilled loved the arc just because its One Piece and how it is
    Agreed, in that respect, Thriller Bark had moments that were really good. It's unfortunate that the majority of the arc didn't maintain that. This is not to suggest that Thriller Bark was bad, though, only that it wasn't, in my opinion, comparable to those that came before it and, indeed, those that come after. :tongue:

I've always liked Sanji. I found him quite cool and his charm made me take a liking to him from the start of the series. My least favourite is probably Chopper or Brook. Not that Chopper is bad, just that the I find the other straw hat crew members more appealing. And because Brook is the newest member, even though he is entertaining, He's not got the nostalgic factor :P
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I find Sanji's love for women, or specifically the way that he expresses his love, somewhat annoying and repetitive (it was amusing to begin with but it's getting a bit old). That, and his reassurance of his own abilities with an apparent lack of modesty. Of course, this is merely my interpretation of his character. He hasn't left a comparable impression to that of the remaining crew.

With Nami, I find her demeanour rather stereotypical of what you'd expect from a female anime character. She doesn't possess anything too distinguishable or unique from what I've seen elsewhere, especially in comparison with the rest of them. Her background story, on the other hand, was one of the most poignant (Robin takes the cake, though), which means my partiality edges in her favour over Sanji, ever so slightly.

Usopp has really grown on me throughout the series and is arguably the most interesting character because he is representative of the average person with bizarre circumstances.

I have a soft sport for Chopper because he is extremely cute. There is no denying that, and his naivety and innocence only helps to supplement that.

I don't really know what to make of Brook. Comparatively speaking, we haven't seen a great deal of him, and his background isn't nearly as interesting as the rest of the crew. His mannerisms are rather amusing, but I'd imagine they'd lose their novelty fairly quickly. I don't find him annoying or irritating.

I suppose, ultimately, I value modesty above all else, and feel that Sanji, and to a lesser extent, Nami lack that due to their self confidence, which is unfair and slightly hypocritical when I consider the demeanour I probably project myself. :tongue:

ReputationRep:
    Finished FMA :sigh: And now I'm sad. But hopefully I can finally concentrate on my assignments!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AP)
    Life on anime is 3 months
    :proud:go me

all thanks to hajime no ippo
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    It won't come as a surprise to anyone that I'm picking up Kaiji S2. But the fact that I'm now blogging it was a surprise even for me. :p:

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.