Turn on thread page Beta

The Anime Society 5: Tentacles For All! watch

ReputationRep:
    I finished off Higurashi no Naku Koro ni a few days ago. Before making a start on Kai I decided to move on to two animes which my friend has recommended watching - Dragon Crisis! (3 episodes in) and Kore wa Zombie desu ka? (2 episodes in). I'm enjoying both so far.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aiko)
    x
    I think another thing that doesn't really help is the heavy milking of already established franchises and little incentive to push new boundaries. As much as I like Type Moon and being a massive sucker for their schtick, you only have to look at how much money Nasu makes from the Fate alone, so that it gives him little incentive to push out anything new. People could argue that Zero is something different, but the story is over half a decade and making characters suffer certainly isn't something new and it's about all Gen Urobuchi does in his stories. There was Mahoyo, that was released earlier this year, but the jury is still out on it until the sequels are released and that won't be animated for a long time yet. Being that things like VNs, LNs and manga are a major source for animated projects, I think a good part of stagnation is also rooted in those mediums.

When people, in their masses, continue to support older franchises without question, it doesn't really give as much ground for new franchises to get a decent a decent grip before being forgotten. Of course, there are exceptions to that rule, like Madoka, but apart from applying a bit of suffering and melodrama to the magical girls archetype, it isn't exactly that ground-breaking either.

Apart from Madoka, the only anime to contain any major surprises within the last year has been Aquarion EVOL and that's in part due to Shouji Kawamori loving throwing curveballs. Otherwise, you could pretty much cookie-cutter the plot together of just about any show.

Not that I care too much about such a decline. I enjoy it all the same now as I did 10-20 years ago and being a massive sucker, buy into it more than I did when I was younger and as long as the medium continues to entertain me as it still does, I'm happy enough. I think a good part of that is due to changing tastes on my part, when I was like 14-16, I was all for things being all original, mature, different, deep, etc. whereas nowadays I'm a little more laid back and don't really care as long as something is somewhat entertaining. And to be honest, I could imagine people who were in their 20s during the 80s were saying the same exact thing as the 90s began.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Tabris)
    I think another thing that doesn't really help is the heavy milking of already established franchises and little incentive to push new boundaries. As much as I like Type Moon and being a massive sucker for their schtick, you only have to look at how much money Nasu makes from the Fate alone, so that it gives him little incentive to push out anything new. People could argue that Zero is something different, but the story is over half a decade and making characters suffer certainly isn't something new and it's about all Gen Urobuchi does in his stories. There was Mahoyo, that was released earlier this year, but the jury is still out on it until the sequels are released and that won't be animated for a long time yet. Being that things like VNs, LNs and manga are a major source for animated projects, I think a good part of stagnation is also rooted in those mediums.

When people, in their masses, continue to support older franchises without question, it doesn't really give as much ground for new franchises to get a decent a decent grip before being forgotten. Of course, there are exceptions to that rule, like Madoka, but apart from applying a bit of suffering and melodrama to the magical girls archetype, it isn't exactly that ground-breaking either.

Apart from Madoka, the only anime to contain any major surprises within the last year has been Aquarion EVOL and that's in part due to Shouji Kawamori loving throwing curveballs. Otherwise, you could pretty much cookie-cutter the plot together of just about any show.

Not that I care too much about such a decline. I enjoy it all the same now as I did 10-20 years ago and being a massive sucker, buy into it more than I did when I was younger and as long as the medium continues to entertain me as it still does, I'm happy enough. I think a good part of that is due to changing tastes on my part, when I was like 14-16, I was all for things being all original, mature, different, deep, etc. whereas nowadays I'm a little more laid back and don't really care as long as something is somewhat entertaining. And to be honest, I could imagine people who were in their 20s during the 80s were saying the same exact thing as the 90s began.
    Agreed, exploiting an already established franchise is nothing new and I suppose is an integral part of the aforementioned pandering I was referring to, as the existing fan base will increase and almost guarantee the all important ratings and subsequent sales.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    That final episode of Kore wa Zombie desu ka? Of the Dead was a huge anticlimax. :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryJellyfish)
    Congrats.
    thanks

I read on Mahou showtime! a few weeks ago that it'd only be 10 eps long, but knowing that site's record for getting episode counts and airdates incorrect, I didn't believe it. :zomg:

That final episode of Kore wa Zombie desu ka? Of the Dead was a huge anticlimax. :sigh:
    yeah hoping for another season :pinch: but if they do they prob gona do a whole load of fillerish eps again :p: which tbf i do quite enjoy but wouldnt mind having some more story :p:

i feel the number of episodes per series just get shorter and shorter these days, like 26 to 21/22 or 13 to 10/11 eps

(Original post by Aiko)

Yeah, I just prefer the layout too of having the entire list viewable on one page, and the fact that the database is generally a lot more comprehensive, particularly regarding OVAs/specials. I've looked into web scraping as a possible solution, but I'm not sure how to go about utilising such a method on A-P. Other people have done it, though, so it's definitely possible.
    hmm with your skills im sure youll be able to pull it off :beard: im pretty certain going to change to MAL sometime soon, just signed up for an account, apparently i had 2 old ones as well :lolwut: i only have 200 odd series to add so im just gona do it manually :p:
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Meh, needless to say I'll be sticking with Anime-Planet. It does everything I need it to, and remains my main source of anime recommendations. I can live with the occasionally slow episode updates, and if a series is missing from their database, it doesn't take long to request they add it, something which helps out the site and other members in the process. Will miss seeing the people who're moving's updates on my profile's feed, though.

One more day of eye-bleach, then hopefully I'll be able to focus on my computer screen long enough to do some serious anime watching, as opposed to the 3-5 eps I've been averaging since Monday - that, or I'll have to go see a doctor or an optician. I'm still hoping to finish Urusei Yatsura by the end of the month (65 eps in 20 days, easily doable), and also Slap Up Party Arad Senki so that I move on to whatever series comes first in my blog poll (likely Pretear or Koi Kaze).
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by eugenius 8)
    i feel the number of episodes per series just get shorter and shorter these days, like 26 to 21/22 or 13 to 10/11 eps
    When I first read this I disagreed - aside from Kore wa Zombie and of course the noitaminA slot shows, I could only think of one series I'd seen in the past couple of years that ended in less than 12/23 eps (which was Mitsudomoe Zouryouchuu!). That's nothing new when you consider shows like Piano (2002) or Banner of the Stars II (2001), both of which are 10 eps long.

Then, I found out Upotte!! just ended at 10 episodes. :zomg: Didn't see that coming... maybe you're on to something. :p: I have higher hopes for this final episode given the way ep 9 ended, but overall the series has been even more of an unstructured (but entertaining) mess than Zombie. :giggle:

ReputationRep:
    When I first read this I disagreed - aside from Kore wa Zombie and of course the noitaminA slot shows, I could only think of one series I'd seen in the past couple of years that ended in less than 12/23 eps (which was Mitsudomoe Zouryouchuu!). That's nothing new when you consider shows like Piano (2002) or Banner of the Stars II (2001), both of which are 10 eps long.

Then, I found out Upotte!! just ended at 10 episodes. :zomg: Didn't see that coming... maybe you're on to something. :p: I have higher hopes for this final episode given the way ep 9 ended, but overall the series has been even more of an unstructured (but entertaining) mess than Zombie. :giggle:
    hmm i duno i just always thought the majority of series lasts 12/13 eps cos thats one seasons worth of eps or 24/26 eps 2 seasons worth :p: of course theres gona be the odd series with a few less eps but just felt on a whole started seeing some series getting slightly shorter over time :dontknow:, from memory wandering son and ano hana having 11 eps, and recently hyouka on MAL says 21 eps :lolwut: yeah im probs looking into it too much, i tend to over analyse stuffs :p:

Meh, needless to say I'll be sticking with Anime-Planet. It does everything I need it to, and remains my main source of anime recommendations. I can live with the occasionally slow episode updates, and if a series is missing from their database, it doesn't take long to request they add it, something which helps out the site and other members in the process. Will miss seeing the people who're moving's updates on my profile's feed, though.

One more day of eye-bleach, then hopefully I'll be able to focus on my computer screen long enough to do some serious anime watching, as opposed to the 3-5 eps I've been averaging since Monday - that, or I'll have to go see a doctor or an optician. I'm still hoping to finish Urusei Yatsura by the end of the month (65 eps in 20 days, easily doable), and also Slap Up Party Arad Senki so that I move on to whatever series comes first in my blog poll (likely Pretear or Koi Kaze).
    main reason im moving to MAL is cos of the societies and forums they provide, i'll probs still end up updating A-P as well :p:

oh i thought you already seen koi kaze :hmmmm: or probs just mentioned it a few years ago :p: decent series but bloody depressing :emo:

ReputationRep:
    main reason im moving to MAL is cos of the societies and forums they provide, i'll probs still end up updating A-P as well :p:
    AP has those :hmmm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vin)
    But it doesn't have the best club.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    hmm i duno i just always thought the majority of series lasts 12/13 eps cos thats one seasons worth of eps or 24/26 eps 2 seasons worth :p: of course theres gona be the odd series with a few less eps but just felt on a whole started seeing some series getting slightly shorter over time :dontknow:, from memory wandering son and ano hana having 11 eps, and recently hyouka on MAL says 21 eps :lolwut: yeah im probs looking into it too much, i tend to over analyse stuffs :p:
    Wandering Son and Ano Hana are both noitaminA shows though - it's more unusual for series in that slot to have over 11 episodes (or 22 if they're double length). Though according to ANN, Sakamichi no Apollon is getting 12.

(Original post by vin)
    :ditto:, though I've barely used them aside from when I first joined, and when I want to report a mistake in the database. :p: They seem pretty active, though.

oh i thought you already seen koi kaze :hmmmm: or probs just mentioned it a few years ago :p: decent series but bloody depressing :emo:
    It made its way onto my want to watch list years ago, but I never actually got around to it. :s: Can't remember whether I simply couldn't find it, or whether I downloaded it and put it on the hard drive that ended up breaking, it'd be something like that. Either way, I suddenly remembered about it and put it back on the list. :yes:
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Upotte's final episode was also an abrupt end, but was more enjoyable than Kore wa Zombie's at least. I just hope the shows that are still ongoing manage to make the most of their extra episodes to provide decent closure. :puppyeyes:

ReputationRep:
    I was on MAL before it was popular *hipster Hanyuu*

Behind on the shows I chose to watch as usual, but have started reading Twin spica which is interesting so far, but a bit different from the other manga I tend to collect.

And I suspect it will be depressing at times too...

ReputationRep:
    Gilgamesh could really do with being a main servant in a fate series/route.:hmmm:

Oh and of course the rider & waver slice of life spin off I mentioned some months back.:hmmmm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vin)
    Gilgamesh could really do with being a main servant in a fate series/route.:hmmm:

Oh and of course the rider & waver slice of life spin off I mentioned some months back.:hmmmm:
    F/H A minor spoilers
    Spoiler:
    Show
    From what I've gathered there is some interaction with a child Gilgamesh in F/H A which is some way changes how he acts when he grows up. Might be wrong however, only got this from guesswork and watching Carnival Phantasm OVAs

I still want the whole fate cast to be turned into a High School Comedy. Even though it would destroy the series it would be worth it.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Fate/Zero :coma: I can't see anything beating that episode in my rankings this week... but I've said that in the past and been proven wrong.

Not sure what it says about the rest of Phi Brain S2 that the beach episode was my favorite ep so far. :giggle: Hilarious stuff.

Finally, Saki Achiga-hen was indeed much better this week. Spending a whole episode (and a bit of the next too by the looks of things) on just four characters is the kind of pacing I've wanted, but not really had up until now. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carecup)
    F/H A minor spoilers
    Spoiler:
    Show
    From what I've gathered there is some interaction with a child Gilgamesh in F/H A which is some way changes how he acts when he grows up. Might be wrong however, only got this from guesswork and watching Carnival Phantasm OVAs

I still want the whole fate cast to be turned into a High School Comedy. Even though it would destroy the series it would be worth it.
    Nah, it wouldn't destroy the series at all. Zelretch's existence allows for everything and anything, high school comedy included (HA has some anyway). Prisma Ilya is probably as close as it's going to get for now for something slightly more light hearted and I can't wait.

As for Gilgamesh.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    That's just how he is when he's young and the children he befriends in Fuyuki do rub off on him as an adult though. He's more amiable in Hollow Ataraxia anyway; then again, just about everyone is since there's no pretence Fuyuki War from Stay Night and Hollow Ataraxia is more light hearted in general. He still pulls out a particular **** move when
    Spoiler:
    Show
    both he and Archer move in on Lancer's peaceful fishing spot in Fuyuki's bay and show Lancer up in that Archer traces a top-of-the-line fishing rod and Gilgamesh uses his own from the GoB to outfish Lancer and basically ruin his one escape.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    I really shouldn't be buying anything else at the moment... but couldn't stop myself ordering Dorothea volumes 1-3 on ebay. All three for £30 (that's with postage from America), whereas volume three alone sells for over twice that amount. Fortunately, the remaining three volumes aren't overly expensive to buy separately.

ReputationRep:
    Mushi-Shi came in the post today well, the first three volumes. I'm so looking forward to watching them after exams!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    Latest ep of Fate/Zero was tragic. = (
    Rider is a bro!

Also.. What do you guys think of me watching Fairy Tail?
    I watched 60 eps in 2 weeks. I hope to catch up really soon.

All of my anime buds are telling me its a mistake, and are extremely biased against it even though they haven't watched the series, or given it a chance!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.