Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Anime Society 5: Tentacles For All! watch

Announcements
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    I'll leave making the thread about the new season until the end of August/start of September, as there's usually not much info to go on at such an early stage (e.g, only two even have set air dates). But I'm expecting to pick up ~11 shows. If I had to pick those now, I'd probably go for:

Hidamari Sketch x Honeycomb (like the anime and the manga)
    Seitokai no Ichizon S2 (liked the first series)
    JoJo's Bizarre Adventures (:coma:)
    Bakuman S3 (liked the first two series)
    Jormungand S2 (the first was okay)
    Magi (love the idea)
    Robotics;Notes (hoping it's more Steins;Gate than Chaos;Head)
    Kyousogiga (I should probably watch the ONA)
    Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga shitai! (at least it should look nice!)
    Shin Sekai Yori (should also be quite pretty)
    Code:Breaker (the most intriguing out of what's left)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryJellyfish)
    Kyousogiga (I should probably watch the ONA)
    The ONA is very beautiful, which just makes the streaming quality more painful.

ReputationRep:
    Seitokai no Ichizon S2
    Robotics;Notes
    Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga ****ai!
    Little Busters- from what I've heard its a VN on par with Clannad and Kanon. However, its a JC Staff production and its director is the same one as Kill me baby. I'm thinking its probably going to be a massive letdown.

Oh and no forgetting that panzer girls anime.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    After forcing myself to finish Nuku Nuku TV, I've decided to watch Soul Hunter next. I hardly know anything about this show, just downloaded it when I was trying to get all the A-P studio badges... it appealed to me more than most of Studio DEEN's other offerings, at least. :p: *still doesn't have that badge, but surely can't be far off now*

Manga-wise, I'm ten volumes from the end of Rave Master now (or seven regular volumes and one huge omnibus, to be exact. Will probably marathon the latter in one sitting if I can). I'd still say it's pretty average, but it makes me laugh every now and then. :yes:
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    :tumble:

I'm now nearing the end of Tenshi na Konamaiki, and it is still hilarious. The fact that it's managed to avoid becoming too repetitive or predictable even after 40 episodes definitely helps, something which the likes of Di Gi Charat Nyo and Urusei Yatsura which I watched earlier this year couldn't manage after the same number of eps (and which Nuku Nuku TV gave up on after the first episode).

ReputationRep:
    I had my first proper exposure to the manga of Osamu Tezuka yesterday after I started the Dororo omnibus. I think I like it, as I read over 400 pages in one day- I'm over halfway through a ~880 page book. Kept reading for a bit, put it down and then found myself wanting to read more.

It's a bit odd though, the childish designs feature people/wolves/demons being cut in half, and then a panel later there's an overexagerrated comic panel of someone getting killed :nyoron:

Might pick up Princess Knight as I've enjoyed the art style. Doesn't look like something drawn in the late 60s
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Truered)
    I had my first proper exposure to the manga of Osamu Tezuka yesterday after I started the Dororo omnibus. I think I like it, as I read over 400 pages in one day- I'm over halfway through a ~880 page book. Kept reading for a bit, put it down and then found myself wanting to read more.

It's a bit odd though, the childish designs feature people/wolves/demons being cut in half, and then a panel later there's an overexagerrated comic panel of someone getting killed :nyoron:

Might pick up Princess Knight as I've enjoyed the art style. Doesn't look like something drawn in the late 60s
    I've been thinking about getting that for a while, but always end up going for something cheaper instead (even though the size of the omnibus means I'd probably get 3-4 times as much content as a regular volume :p:). I can recommend Princess Knight quite highly though, it was an entertaining read. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    I've been thinking about getting that for a while, but always end up going for something cheaper instead (even though the size of the omnibus means I'd probably get 3-4 times as much content as a regular volume :p:). I can recommend Princess Knight quite highly though, it was an entertaining read. :yes:
    :woo:

I was about to pick up Princess Knight on amazon, but then I saw Dororo on the recommended list and remembered being interested about it, so got that for the same price the 2 volumes of PK would have cost me

I also have Ayako to read from the same order, but it would appear that one will be far more depressing :nyoron:
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Truered)
    :woo:

I was about to pick up Princess Knight on amazon, but then I saw Dororo on the recommended list and remembered being interested about it, so got that for the same price the 2 volumes of PK would have cost me

I also have Ayako to read from the same order, but it would appear that one will be far more depressing :nyoron:
    My Amazon recommendations are full of omnibuses (omnibus'? omnibusi? :hmmmm2:), mostly Tezuka manga. A lot of interesting looking series too. Not sure whether Amazon has actually improved its recommendation system, or whether it's just gotten more accurate as I've bought more and more manga recently, but it seems to know my tastes quite well now. :p:
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    I've now watched the first three episodes of Soul Hunter... :yawn: It's probably too early to judge the entire series, but right now it really isn't anything special. I knew there was a reason why I stopped aiming for the Studio Deen badge!

I've also started Zettai Karen Children, which after four episodes is the more entertaining of the two by far. It's definitely emphasizing comedy over action at this point (and it's funny, which always helps), but there's potential for plot development, though I'm not expecting it to be mindblowing. As long as it stays shiny, over the top and slightly cheesy, I'll be satisfied. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    I've also started Zettai Karen Children, which after four episodes is the more entertaining of the two by far. It's definitely emphasizing comedy over action at this point (and it's funny, which always helps), but there's potential for plot development, though I'm not expecting it to be mindblowing. As long as it stays shiny, over the top and slightly cheesy, I'll be satisfied. :yes:
    I never got around to finishing ZKC but 'shiny, over the top and slightly cheesy' chimes with what I remember of it. It has my favourite parodic launch sequence in anime.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Ok, seeing as it's been a while since I've posted anything here, I figured I'd quickly relay my thoughts on what I'm watching.

Accel World is keeping my interest each week. However, now that the world has been established, I can't help but feel that the plot lacks continuity in that it's glaringly apparent when one arc finishes and another begins. This isn't a huge issue, though. Moreover, while I don't dislike any of the characters, I can't say I've connected with any of them either.

Area no Kishi is pretty average, but fulfils my appetite for a sport themed show. I'm also glad that the romance hasn't been casted aside in favour of the football. While this is clearly no Touch, there's something of a love triangle developing now. It also helps that I don't dislike any of the characters.

Binbougami ga!, along with Jinrui wa Suitai Shimash-ita, made me laugh on more than one occasion, but unlike the latter, the formula is wearing thin. I'm actually lagging behind on episode 3 because my interest is waining. Still, there's a chance that the plot has progressed and something more substantial has come about. I may come back to it eventually.

Campione! is so distinctly average and yet I continue to watch it because, um... just because... I don't know, I guess it's so generic that I can literally switch off and enjoy it solely because it's anime, even in its most generic form. There does seem to be a plot of sorts, and plenty of flashy battles, so I'm keeping this on for that alone.

And if it's even possible, Dakara Boku wa, H ga Dekinai is probably even worse than Campione! in that it's even more shameless and excessive in its fan service. It's not even done that tastefully as the animation is pretty average to poor. However, like Campione, I can watch it without having to think much, and it's not like it doesn't conjure up some enjoyment.

The second season of Dog Days has not really progressed all that much and seems to be more of a spinoff OVA of the original series so far. Nothing significant has really happened, aside from the rather unique 'battles' that occur. It's all fluffy and cute stuff, but nothing of substance.

Ok, I'm ashamed to admit that despite keeping up to date with all of the fluff above, I'm behind on Eureka Seven Ao, an anime series that's actually pretty decent, even though it lacks that needed drama. I'm aware from a friend that the next few episodes do up to the ante quite a bit, though, so I really need to get back on this (currently on episode 13).

Hagure Yuusha no Estetica is my guilty pleasure of the season. The main character, Akatsuki, is such a badass, it's actually refreshing. His confidence is backed up by how insanely powerful he is. Of course, I'm sure he'll unfortunately get beaten pretty badly at some point by some aloof antagonist, losing his badassery in the process, but for the mean time, he and he alone, makes this anime quite enjoyable to watch.

Ok, Jinrui wa Suitai Shimash-ita is not for everyone, but I absolutely love how crazy and nonsensical everything is. It's just very funny and creative. It's the kind of off the wall anime series I'd love to create myself. Every episode comes up with something totally unexpected and it helps a lot that the animation style is rather attractive and contemporary.

Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate has promise, none of which has been fully utilised. The opening sequence has not been followed up yet, but the bullying that occurred in the most recent episode was rather unsettling, but in a good way. Still, it's all standard affair, and none of the characters are at all original, quite the opposite.

Now, this is an anime series that has surprised me the most, Kokoro Connect. It's quite possibly one of the best of the season, despite the K-ON-esque character design. It's providing a rather interesting introspective into how a group of young people handle an unusual situation that directly challenges their own process of growing up and finding their own identity, while also having to deal with the prospect of their own feelings for each other. It's very good stuff, and for anyone who may have wrote this off upon first glance, consider sticking with it a bit longer as it's definitely surprised me.

Edit: Ok, I'll post my thoughts on the other anime series I'm watching at another time as I've lost steam to address my thoughts anymore.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Aiko)
    Ok, seeing as it's been a while since I've posted anything here, I figured I'd quickly relay my thoughts on what I'm watching.
    I'm only watching four of the series you've posted about there, but I agree with you on Binbougami ga! I found the first episode by far the best introductory episode of the season, and the second (while less funny) also topped my weekly rankings. But since then, it seems to have lost its energy, and eps 3-5 haven't been anywhere near as good. :s:

Eureka Seven AO is currently top of my rankings on average, consistently placing in my top four both this season and last season (against arguably tougher competition). A shame that it's taking a two week hiatus because of the Olympics, though...

My opinions of Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita and Kokoro Connect are quickly rising - I seem to finally 'get' the dark, abstract sense of humour of the former, while the latter's more recent episodes have definitely made it stand out from the usual high school club comedies that it could have easily been mistaken for early on. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking for an action anime that has character development and opening/ending songs as good as Blood+
    Any recommendations?

ReputationRep:
    I was about to say Slam Dunk xD But it has nothing to do with Blood+ and I don't remember the op/en :rolleyes:

But when I read "character development" I thought of Hanamichi

ReputationRep:
    Guys, I have a question: is it possible to understand Bleach without watching the fillers? I recently started watching the anime and the number of episodes is startlingly long! If I watch the fillers I doubt I will catch up anytime soon (if ever) as kobo says he plans to keep the series running for at least an extra 10 years...!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angelicanova)
    Guys, I have a question: is it possible to understand Bleach without watching the fillers? I recently started watching the anime and the number of episodes is startlingly long! If I watch the fillers I doubt I will catch up anytime soon (if ever) as kobo says he plans to keep the series running for at least an extra 10 years...!

Yes I skipped all the fillers after I realised fillers exist, I had watched all of the bount arc filler by then though . They aren't going to start making new episodes for a while yet anyway as the manga still has to be made. I watched 90% of the Aizen arc in a 2 week period so you should be fine if you beast it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lambert1)
    Yes I skipped all the fillers after I realised fillers exist, I had watched all of the bount arc filler by then though . They aren't going to start making new episodes for a while yet anyway as the manga still has to be made. I watched 90% of the Aizen arc in a 2 week period so you should be fine if you beast it.
    Thanks ^^ I'll skip them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by confuzzled92)
    I'm looking for an action anime that has character development and opening/ending songs as good as Blood+
    Any recommendations?
    I'll just chuck some general recs out since I can't actually remember any of the music from Blood+

Shiki
    Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann
    Code Geass
    Macross Frontier
    Gunslinger Girl
    Phantom~Requiem for Phantom~
    Durarara!!
    Black Lagoon
    Claymore
    Darker than BLACK
    Fate/Zero
    Tiger & Bunny

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caraniel)
    I'll just chuck some general recs out since I can't actually remember any of the music from Blood+

Shiki
    Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann
    Code Geass
    Macross Frontier
    Gunslinger Girl
    Phantom~Requiem for Phantom~
    Durarara!!
    Black Lagoon
    Claymore
    Darker than BLACK
    Fate/Zero
    Tiger & Bunny
    These ones I've seen. I liked them all

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.