Turn on thread page Beta

The Anime Society 5: Tentacles For All! watch

ReputationRep:
    Hajime no ippo ep 71 :drool: the ending to this series is gonna be awesome :coma:

:cry2:its gonna end soon
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Hatdance is really good

ReputationRep:
    The last ep of Hajime no ippo was a good end to a great series.:sad: Takamura's past. :mmm:

Also finished Level E, clever girl.:beard: also watched freezing, surprisingly violent :shock: and the fan service wasnt as bad as I thought it would be, it was pretty amusing actually.:giggle: This new Beelzebub opening song is a load of crap.:indiff: what is it with series with tough characters in it having such pansy op/eds :indiff: DBkai and Fairy Tail did this.:unimpressed:

EDIT: and this ED :indiff: these tough girls singing and dancing about like its some kind of happy musical :indiff:

ReputationRep:
    Finally found the new thread.
    Subscribes.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Alas, the weekend has arrived in earnest, which means I can finally indulge in my favourite pastime, anime! That said, technically I won't have the opportunity to properly sit down and watch until tomorrow as I'm out for most of today (curse having a partner who is more sociable than me). :tongue: Nonetheless, I'm intending to put aside my marathoning of Daa! Daa! Daa! in favour of the current season's openings. Aside from Toriko, I haven't watched anything else, so I'm looking forward to seeing what's on offer. :smile:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I just caught up to the Bleach manga however am disappointed that its still lagging behind, I waiting like 20 chapters hoping it would have picked up a bit :sad:

However, a friend recently introduced me to Bakuman and I am finding it to be very interesting. Obviosuly leaving out the romance and such I can't but wonder though is it representative of a real mangakas life? Or are there some bits put in which aren't quite the same? I doubt anyone here is a pro mangaka though so I don't know if anyone could fully tell

In other news though, can't believe I just picked up Beelzebub now, its hilarious! I am enjoying it quite a lot, I would like to watch the anime but I don't have time for watching lately :no:

ReputationRep:
    Just caught up on Negima! It is getting so good. Negi-kun :yep:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Facticity)
    However, a friend recently introduced me to Bakuman and I am finding it to be very interesting. Obviosuly leaving out the romance and such I can't but wonder though is it representative of a real mangakas life? Or are there some bits put in which aren't quite the same? I doubt anyone here is a pro mangaka though so I don't know if anyone could fully tell
    Funnily enough, having an interest in art and design and growing up in Japan, I did consider becoming an animator (aside from advertising and fashion, the animation industry is one of the largest for the creative sector in the country). I went to a few classes and seminars with the intention of enrolling at an animation school, but ultimately decided instead to study abroad at CSM in London, and now work, almost a decade later, in NYC as an art director. Granted, animation is a different area, but I gained an awareness of how the industry operated overall, and I can safely say that Bakuman is akin to Ugly Betty depicting the work environment in a fashion magazine; it's highly glorified and convenient, but the general process is accurate (for instance, in terms of how serialisation is decided and the techniques employed). One thing I can definitely state is that many mangaka, inline with the rest of the creative sector, opt for digital over traditional nowadays, using a graphic tablet rather than a pen. It speeds up the process exponentially and the quality of the artwork is cleaner. It's also obviously a lot easier to amend, if need be, and to mass produce and archive from a commercial angle. I do a lot of freelance illustration myself and rarely produce anything without my wacom due to the aforementioned. :smile:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bill-e)
    Sanji: "What happened here?!"

Zoro: "Absolutely nothing"
    *Insert luffys fierce attack theme*

ReputationRep:
    that Kinura vs Mashiba Ova :zomg: that was pretty good .....mashiba:afraid:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Aiko)
    Funnily enough, having an interest in art and design and growing up in Japan, I did consider becoming an animator (aside from advertising and fashion, the animation industry is one of the largest for the creative sector in the country). I went to a few classes and seminars with the intention of enrolling at an animation school, but ultimately decided instead to study abroad at CSM in London, and now work, almost a decade later, in NYC as an art director. Granted, animation is a different area, but I gained an awareness of how the industry operated overall, and I can safely say that Bakuman is akin to Ugly Betty depicting the work environment in a fashion magazine; it's highly glorified and convenient, but the general process is accurate (for instance, in terms of how serialisation is decided and the techniques employed). One thing I can definitely state is that many mangaka, inline with the rest of the creative sector, opt for digital over traditional nowadays, using a graphic tablet rather than a pen. It speeds up the process exponentially and the quality of the artwork is cleaner. It's also obviously a lot easier to amend, if need be, and to mass produce and archive from a commercial angle. I do a lot of freelance illustration myself and rarely produce anything without my wacom due to the aforementioned. :smile:
    Ooo that sounds very interesting, I had always wondered how you acquired those animations for your Signature, now I know I had thought as much in regards to the graphics tablet, I had heard this and (as a fan of drawing and manga) was soon advised to get a graphics tablet. I have only had it for a short period though and at first found it incredibly hard to use but I have gotten used to it however, even now I am not as polished or able to draw as many complex things on my Wacom as with my trusted pen/pencil on paper. Practise makes perfect I guess! I was sure mangaka still didn't draw with pens, especially since I got Manga Studio EX. It makes colouring and texturing much quicker and as you said the result is much cleaner and crisp as compared to paint or water colour. Though, I draw its only a hobby - which takes a massive chunk of my time though haha. Until I am used to my Wacom I continue to draw, upload and then finish off on software, as my current Katekyo sig went through
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Facticity)
    Ooo that sounds very interesting, I had always wondered how you acquired those animations for your Signature, now I know
    My signature is nothing special, merely the result of my procrastination at work. :tongue: I'm intending to relaunch my online portfolio at some point, likely when I look for another job, which'll be at this address.

I had thought as much in regards to the graphics tablet, I had heard this and (as a fan of drawing and manga) was soon advised to get a graphics tablet. I have only had it for a short period though and at first found it incredibly hard to use but I have gotten used to it however, even now I am not as polished or able to draw as many complex things on my Wacom as with my trusted pen/pencil on paper. Practise makes perfect I guess!
    Yeah, I can definitely relate; the transitionary phase can be difficult. I was convinced that I'd never adapt at first and preferred using traditional media. However, after realising the benefits of using one, I gradually got used to it. I started off with a standard Intuos, but have recently moved over to the Cintiq, which I absolutely love. The only downside is the sheer size of the thing, meaning it's difficult to transport around, near impossible (if Apple released a half decent app, a la Photoshop or Painter, for the iPad, it would be perfect for this). But yeah, it's all about sticking with it. As someone who couldn't adjust at first, I can't live without it now. Whenever I go back to using traditional media, I realise how spoilt I've become because I keep trying to undo what I've done. :tongue:

I was sure mangaka still didn't draw with pens, especially since I got Manga Studio EX. It makes colouring and texturing much quicker and as you said the result is much cleaner and crisp as compared to paint or water colour. Though, I draw its only a hobby - which takes a massive chunk of my time though haha. Until I am used to my Wacom I continue to draw, upload and then finish off on software, as my current Katekyo sig went through
    I tend to use Photoshop for much of the work I do, but I know a lot of mangaka like to use SAI, which I've dabbled with, and I can see the benefit of using it. ComicStudio is another software package that is commonly used, and is, as you say, particularly apt for manga due to its clean line work and texturing. :smile:

ReputationRep:
    hmmm havnt been as into this Hajime no ippo champion road film as much as the ova I mentioned earlier The opponent whilst being very skilled was a new guy and just wasnt as interesting.:erm:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    So, Freezing wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. The setting was dark and mysterious with plenty of gore. This was further supplemented by the constant theme of bullying throughout, which served to build the relationships of the main characters, all of whom were likeable in their own way, especially Satellizer. Although the emphasis was definitely on the romance (with misplaced fan service to boot), the plot had some weight behind it, which was unfortunately never realised fully. The ending was satisfactory, though, given the length of the series. It's a shame that I had to watch this with a 4:3 aspect ratio from AT-X because the other broadcasters who were airing in 16:9 made everything unwatchable by excessively censoring (not just the fan service but the battles as all, which would account for something like 90% of the episode).
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Having a friend stay the weekend means I've acquired a backlog once again; There's a few new series of interest I have downloaded but unwatched (still the Toriko special, Tiger & Bunny and Steins;Gate), a few undownloaded that I'll head up to campus and grab in one go (Maria+Holic Alive, Dororon Enma-kun Meramera and Softenni), and even the second episodes of X-Men and Nichijou are out, has it really been a week already? :o:

ReputationRep:
    Steins; gate was awesome, unnecessary use of the semicolon, just like chaos; head.

oh how the Japanese bemuse me.

Unless they somewhat warped its meaning to be gate of stein.
    Anyway time to watch the Sket Dan anime, the manga is one of my favourites currently.

ReputationRep:
    Madoka is "weird ****" :confused: and for some completely unrelated reason I want to try that morning rescue stuff :lolwut:
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by vin)
    Madoka is "weird ****" :confused: and for some completely unrelated reason I want to try that morning rescue stuff :lolwut:
    Its available on J-List now apparently, after an unexplained surge in requests over the past couple of months. :awesome: Bloody expensive though.

I'm about to start the Impel Down arc of One Piece (nearly up to date :zomg:); I only have the episodes up to the end of this arc, but TBH those along with the new season + Kare Kano/Creamy Mami should last me until I head home for Easter, at which point I'll grab Marineford from my sister.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryJellyfish)
    Its available on J-List now apparently, after an unexplained surge in requests over the past couple of months. :awesome: Bloody expensive though.

I'm about to start the Impel Down arc of One Piece (nearly up to date :zomg:); I only have the episodes up to the end of this arc, but TBH those along with the new season + Kare Kano/Creamy Mami should last me until I head home for Easter, at which point I'll grab Marineford from my sister.
    yeah Ive seen the ads:giggle: far too pricy :pierre: I bet its not even delivered by a guy abseiling through your roof :huff:

ReputationRep:
    Finished Rainbow. Really enjoyed it, though loads of events I thought were quite predictable for some reason.
    Onto something lighthearted now, Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.