Turn on thread page Beta

The Anime Society 5: Tentacles For All! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tabris)
    The shark jumps so much that it leaves Solar orbit and ends up outside of the Milky Way.

Spoiler:
    Show
    I hope you're enjoying Frieza, I mean Nurararararahiyon.
    lol

Spoiler:
    Show
    ahh i think the fight starts in the next chapter but i wont be reading it anytime soon :p: i almost cried with laughter at some of those scenes in this arc, like that rape scene just WTF completely out of the blue :rofl: :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    Any thread but this.

You've come to the wrong neighborhood baka.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Well, despite having to deal with a super storm, I've still managed on and off to obtain anime when I actually do have power here, and remarkably I've managed to keep up with practically everything that's airing this season. I won't bother going into intricate deal like I did last time as it's, um, quite redundant, but I will say that the romances this season have been pretty good, Suk-itte Ii na you. and Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun especially. In a similar vein, I've also been pleasantly surprised by how well Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo has developed. I won't deny that I had my reservations upon viewing the PV and reading the premise, but it's transpiring to be something of merit.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Nice to see this place remained active and thriving during my short absence. :p:

Anime-wise, I'd just caught up with the five shows I picked up this season when my internet packed up for a week. It's back, but slower than ever, so I'm only going to fall further behind. Basic thoughts: Psycho-pass remains my favorite, but I hope it doesn't end up being too episodic. Zetsuen no Tempest is probably second right now - great characters and an interesting concept. Jormungand is strong, Chuunibyou is hilarious, and Shin Sekai Yori... who knows what to expect from that next?

I've also been watching .hack//Legend of the Twilight at a rate of two eps a day... not sure I could cope with more than that. :p: It's pretty much a rubbish version of Sword Art Online, but with better pacing at least. :giggle: I'm watching it for nostalgia, as the manga was one of the first I picked up... I might have already said that a few posts ago, but I can't remember for sure, and with these speeds I'm not loading the previous page to find out~

Manga-wise, I started Record of Lodoss War - The Grey Witch. WHY DIDN'T I READ THIS SOONER!? It is epic. Reads exactly like a (particularly generic) D&D campaign... (minor spoilers for volume 1):

Spoiler:
    Show
    the characters form a party for no concrete reason, use various skills and abilities to trick/sneak past some door guards, before massacring a group of bad guys inside the building (again for no real reason), then search EVERY single room in the building for the maguffin that will allow them to progress to the next stage of their quest. They even spend three pages trying to get through a magically sealed door, having first tried to break it down with force and have the rogue try to pick the lock. :awesome:

Needless to say, I ordered volume 2 immediately after.

Also ordered Masamune Shirow's Black Magic - his first manga, and the first of his works that I'll have read too. I know it got a reprint a couple of years back, but I still paid extra for a slightly worn 1998 first edition that's flipped to read like a western comic... wouldn't have considered that a year ago. I blame katana100.

General thoughts on other things I'm reading: The Flowers of Evil is as gripping as ever despite the simple premise, easily one of the best things I'm reading at the moment. Psyren satisfies my survival game craving so that I don't feel too bad about not picking up BTOOOM! Pita-Ten is better than I expected it to be... Koge Donbo's character designs~ :love: Spice & Wolf seemingly used up all it's fanservice quota in the first volume - the three that followed did little to warrant the shrink-wrap and explicit content labels. :p: Finally, the ending of Dorothea was hard to fault; a good series, but sadly too overpriced for me to really recommend it. :s:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Ok, an update from me.

Bakuman is remaining consistent, which is all I can really say about it.

Btooom! is, put simply, highly gripping. Really enjoying this one. The similarities to Gantz are uncanny.

Busou Shinki is very cute, or for the more appropriate otaku-esque term, moe. I'm still hoping for some tournament battles, Angelic Layer style, but I'm not holding my breath.

Chu-2 is ok, enjoyable enough. Would like some plot progression, though, as the current format is becoming repetitive.

Code:Breaker is unoriginal, but entertaining. I'm falling behind on this one.

I really need to catch up on Shin Sekai Yori. I saw some snapshots of the later episodes that looked rather trippy.

I was really hoping that Girls und Panzer would be a little like Saki, given how similar the main character is, but sadly not.

Initial D Fifth Stage! Yay, I was looking forward to this sequel, even though hardly anything has changed since the first season. It's the same old thing rehashed, but that's precisely why I like this series. :giggle:

Little Busters!, like Chi-2, needs to get moving on the plot front. It's starting to bore me.

Magi is quite good, enough to motivate me to download it each week. It's refreshing to actually have an anime that's not based in Japan and specifically in a high school setting.

Medaka Box Abnormal is insanely entertaining. The second season is what the first should have been from the get go. The dialogue is not creatively longwinded, though, something I'd expect from Isin-sensei.

I didn't stick with Muv-Luv until recently when I randomly decided to marathon through it. It's ok, nothing too special. I was hoping for something like Blue Gender after watching the second episode, but the rest haven't quite matched up to that.

Naruto is Naruto, the battles are dragging on and aren't too interesting at present. I just want Naruto to appear.

One Piece is One Piece, great as always. That said, this current arc, while enjoyable, hasn't matched up to the last one, but that's hardly surprising considering how great it was. I see this more as a transitionary arc before the crew reach the New World.

Need to watch Psycho-pass (or more of).

I'm really liking the animation on K, but the plot is a bit too vague at the moment to fully entice me. Need to play catch up, too.

Onii-chan... Well, yeah... This is very much my guilty pleasure of the season. It's the type of anime you can watch while cooking dinner after a hard day's work, which is precisely what I tend to do.

Robotics;Notes is something I'm actually watching right now as I type this. It's getting better. Not amazing, though. Loving the whole tablet thing. It's definitely something I can envisage in 5 to 10 years from now. I mean, it's already happening in the present, just not quite to the same extent.

Sword Art Online is enjoyable as always, but this current arc, as I mentioned in another thread, is just not as good as the last one.

To Love-Ru... Yes, I'm watching this. Why? I have no idea.

I might as well couple Suk-tte Ii na yo. and Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun in the same sentence. I'm enjoying both, definitely some of the better romances to come out this year.

Zetsuen no Tempest is alright, but the plot is not that engaging. I'm sticking with it because Bones are Bones, and they usually deliver something worthwhile in the end, if only from a production standpoint.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    My internet speeds suddenly picked up last night, as if to make up for the complete lack of any connection most of last week... for the first time since August, I have nothing waiting in my download queue! The only thing stopping me from picking up another Autumn series is the fact that even though I've got nothing more to download, I've still got a pile of downloaded things to watch. :p:

I focused mostly on new season shows in my previous post, but TBH the Hunter x Hunter remake is probably the best thing I'm watching right now. The current arc is just... :coma: The two most recent episodes were among the first things I watched this morning, apart from the finale of Joshiraku... which was an okay series, but unsurprisingly many of the jokes and references went straight over my head.

ReputationRep:
    Magi and Sao, Kirito going beast
    Mode literally and Morg going beast mode too epic fight scenes

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by AngryJellyfish)
    My internet speeds suddenly picked up last night, as if to make up for the complete lack of any connection most of last week... for the first time since August, I have nothing waiting in my download queue! The only thing stopping me from picking up another Autumn series is the fact that even though I've got nothing more to download, I've still got a pile of downloaded things to watch. :p:
    I can somewhat relate because my internet was continually down in account of the hurricane that happened here recently. Then again, when it did get back online, the speeds were as they should be. I'm not sure what's worse, no internet or slow internet. Probably the former, but the latter is more frustrating I suspect.

I focused mostly on new season shows in my previous post, but TBH the Hunter x Hunter remake is probably the best thing I'm watching right now. The current arc is just... :coma: The two most recent episodes were among the first things I watched this morning, apart from the finale of Joshiraku... which was an okay series, but unsurprisingly many of the jokes and references went straight over my head.
    Like DB Kai, I've chosen to wait until this remake finishes, so I can marathon through it. Did you happen to watch the original adaptation and if so, has this new one differed in any way? I seem to remember reading that Gon is slightly different, but this was a lot earlier on.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Aiko)
    I can somewhat relate because my internet was continually down in account of the hurricane that happened here recently. Then again, when it did get back online, the speeds were as they should be. I'm not sure what's worse, no internet or slow internet. Probably the former, but the latter is more frustrating I suspect.

Like DB Kai, I've chosen to wait until this remake finishes, so I can marathon through it. Did you happen to watch the original adaptation and if so, has this new one differed in any way? I seem to remember reading that Gon is slightly different, but this was a lot earlier on.
    Well, my speeds seem to be back to 'normal' now, even if that still makes them rubbish compared to the speeds you could expect anywhere civilized. :p: Oh, and no internet is DEFINITELY more frustrating than slow internet. :sadnod:

I've not seen the original Hunter x Hunter anime or read the manga, so haven't a clue how good the remake is in comparison, or whether they've changed anything. :no: But for a while now it's been one of my most highly anticipated series each week. Helps that, since there's so much manga material already out there, the pacing isn't that slow compared with, say, One Piece. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    New HxH has tended to skip things and move pretty fast. For example the early stuff with gon right at the start. The original never had a problem with pacing. But the openings have implied they are going beyond greed island(:yucky:). So it could be to get through the old material sooner like FMA:Brotherhood did.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by vin)
    New HxH has tended to skip things and move pretty fast. For example the early stuff with gon right at the start. The original never had a problem with pacing. But the openings have implied they are going beyond greed island(:yucky:). So it could be to get through the old material sooner like FMA:Brotherhood did.
    I'm assuming that the pacing problems are something you'd only notice if you knew what things were being left out. :dontknow: As someone with no prior knowledge of Hunter x Hunter, it seems fine to me.

Forgot to mention in my last post that in a single day I managed to clear the 'pile of downloaded things' that I'd amassed from already being behind on the season and then losing all internet connection for a week. :proud: All that remains is the Muv-Luv episode which came out last night, and two eps of Sword Art Online (which I've effectively stalled, latest arc is meh :s:). That won't be enough to keep me entertained on Tuesday & Wednesday which I have off... so I decided to pick up Jojo's Bizarre Adventure and Hidamari Sketch x Honeycomb too. Catching up on them should keep me occupied for one day at least. :p:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Well, my speeds seem to be back to 'normal' now, even if that still makes them rubbish compared to the speeds you could expect anywhere civilized. :p: Oh, and no internet is DEFINITELY more frustrating than slow internet. :sadnod:

What speeds are you averaging?

I've not seen the original Hunter x Hunter anime or read the manga, so haven't a clue how good the remake is in comparison, or whether they've changed anything. :no: But for a while now it's been one of my most highly anticipated series each week. Helps that, since there's so much manga material already out there, the pacing isn't that slow compared with, say, One Piece. :yes:
    HxH is battle/fighting shounen at its best and arguably rawest. It's been so long since I've watched the anime, let alone read the manga (over a decade ago now), and yet I can still remember it fairly clearly. Still, I'll patiently wait for this to end as I'm following enough as it is.

(Original post by vin)
    Yeah, I remember you mentioning that they removed quite a bit from the start, which is a shame as it set the foundation for Gon's character well. And going beyond Greed Island? That'll be awesome if that's true.

All that remains is the Muv-Luv episode which came out last night, and two eps of Sword Art Online (which I've effectively stalled, latest arc is meh :s:). That won't be enough to keep me entertained on Tuesday & Wednesday which I have off... so I decided to pick up Jojo's Bizarre Adventure and Hidamari Sketch x Honeycomb too. Catching up on them should keep me occupied for one day at least. :p:
    The latest episode of Muv-Luv was amusing. I mean, it's the trademark hot spring episode, of course it'll deliver. :giggle:

As for SAO, the latest episode was a bit spondaic, not to mention how contradictory Kirito was. Nonetheless, I have a soft spot for this series. As mentioned above, I'm enjoying it a lot regardless of its flaws.

ReputationRep:
    I'm assuming that the pacing problems are something you'd only notice if you knew what things were being left out. :dontknow: As someone with no prior knowledge of Hunter x Hunter, it seems fine to me.
    I wouldnt call it a problem, but its just something that stood out at first, particularly since I remember the first series so fondly.:redface: But not you greed island.:unimpressed:

(Original post by Aiko)

Yeah, I remember you mentioning that they removed quite a bit from the start, which is a shame as it set the foundation for Gon's character well. And going beyond Greed Island? That'll be awesome if that's true.

Well I saw characters I didnt recognise in the opening. And assumed they came later.... so I could be wrong. But hopefully not.:puppyeyes:
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Aiko)

What speeds are you averaging?
    >400 kb/s in the late night and early morning (which is when I use it most, seeing as I'm now working); much slower during peak times, about 30 - 60 kb/s, but that's how it's always been. A huge improvement from the average of 10 kb/s that we had to put up with on Thursday - Friday last week. :p:

Not related, but Doremi fansubs suddenly picked up Hyouge Mono where Huzzah left off (episode 14, on April the first... lol). Maybe I'll get to see the end of this series after all! :zomg:

ReputationRep:
    >Reading standard gory-teen-death-match-with-supernatural-elements manga when suddenly horse mask.

Send help.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Decided to check the One Piece wikia page, and noticed that the current arc is set to finish next week! Which is my cue to jump in and marathon all 50 episodes.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    >400 kb/s in the late night and early morning (which is when I use it most, seeing as I'm now working); much slower during peak times, about 30 - 60 kb/s, but that's how it's always been. A huge improvement from the average of 10 kb/s that we had to put up with on Thursday - Friday last week. :p:

Not related, but Doremi fansubs suddenly picked up Hyouge Mono where Huzzah left off (episode 14, on April the first... lol). Maybe I'll get to see the end of this series after all! :zomg:
    400k is tolerable, but anything below that, certainly 30-60k and let alone 10k, must be painful.

• CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Japanese nationalists never fail to amuse and embarrass in equal measure. And all because the studio chose, wait for it... a Korean dish instead of a Japanese one!

ReputationRep:
    over the past few days, I've watched Samurai Champloo and Sakamichi no Apollon.

After being bored and not wanting to watch Cowboy Bebop, but something along those lines, i stumbled across Samurai Champloo, which was awesome. The action was brilliant, I loved the characters, it was a lot like Cowboy Bebop but still different enough to make it different. Even if both Spike and Mugen look very similar and are played by the same voice actor. One thing I love about it is that the dub feels so natural and the voices seem to fit unlike most anime.

Sakamichino Apollon.... I don't know why I started watching it, I saw what kind of genre it is and generally avoid it. But I think it's because I heard it had a bit of Jazz music in it which I thought was cool. And I actually loved it... It was a good mix between the two and was a thoroughly enjoyable experience in a completely different way to my typical taste (One piece/cowboy bebop/code geass)

Anyway, im going to start on Black Lagoon soon, and see how that goes. I've read it's like cowboy bebop a bit but i really dont know untill i try it.

Also, does anyone know when/if the Kenshin film is coming to UK?

ReputationRep:
    Any good animes in 2012?
    Anime fell of since 2011

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.