Turn on thread page Beta

The Anime Society 5: Tentacles For All! watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr Tenacious)
    Yeah yugioh can get kinda repetitive, especially when the main character keeps using their ace monster every duel. If you do wanna start watching it again, I recommend watching 5Ds as it's slightly better than the original. Also watch it subbed as the music is way better.
    Never watched it subbed to be honest as I started watching it before I got into anime properly, may give it a spin although the english dubs were generally good. Hmm not really my show anymore but shall bear it in mind I think my fondest memory of Yu Gi Oh was the tournament on Pegasus' island albeit very dragged out.

ReputationRep:
    The lunch box scene in Hataraku Maou-Sama Ep 7 was epic!
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Tabris)
    The thing is, you still get those unexpected twists and revelations in the manga. It's not like the medium really changes any of that, unless you have a stronger preference for anime over manga. From what I've read and heard, the anime is also behind schedule, so there's every chance that the final act will be somewhat rushed; all the more reason to read the manga, because Isayama isn't quite as rushed as the anime staff and the quality is consistent.

Personally, I think it's better to be aware and familiar of source material, more so when it is readily available. Whether it's a manga, light novel, visual novel, etc. I enjoy it all the same. Totally agree about being less inclined to nitpick, which can detract from some enjoyment of adaptations.
    True, although I was working off the assumption that he's planning to watch the anime anyway. So far, the anime adaptation has proven to be equally as good, if not arguably better when you consider the genre. Animation, voice acting and a soundtrack has a way of enhancing the experience, especially when it's done really well, which is the case here, for the most part. Of course, this is just my opinion, and the manga is very good. As you say, it's a matter of preference. I just feel that for a series like this, it's far more effective. In any case, I digress. There's also something to be said of having to wait in anticipation each week. Reading the manga in bulk, only to watch the anime after in a similar fashion removes that. As someone who has mostly read manga and watched anime as and when it comes out, the anticipation is part of the excitement and enjoyment.

ReputationRep:
    errrmyyygawwd Code Geass has such an epic climax :O

Is season 2 worth the watch though, because loads of people say it was really bad. :L

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by King Amukee)

Is season 2 worth the watch though, because loads of people say it was really bad. :L
    Yeah its crap dont watch

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Been trying to get back into Eureka Seven. Does anyone know when the plot gets going? 13 episodes in and I'm getting bored!

That aside, I've been watching soukou no strain as well. Really recommend it to anyone looking for a good sci-fi anime

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by purplerainn)
    Been trying to get back into Eureka Seven. Does anyone know when the plot gets going? 13 episodes in and I'm getting bored!

That aside, I've been watching soukou no strain as well. Really recommend it to anyone looking for a good sci-fi anime
    Dont bother watching eureka seven, i cant even remember what happens in it but i watched all the eps, in the end i thought to myself why did i watch this? Nothing interesting happens at all

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

E7 has already been dropping little bits of its plot in the thirteen episodes you've seen, but things don't really come to a head in terms of the overarching plot until much later, from what I remember.

Kudos for watching Soukou, while I wouldn't call it an absolute classic I thought it did a few interesting things, and like a lot of interesting but small titles from the past it seems to be largely ignored nowadays.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CosmicVengeance)
    Dont bother watching eureka seven, i cant even remember what happens in it but i watched all the eps, in the end i thought to myself why did i watch this? Nothing interesting happens at all

Posted from TSR Mobile
    (Original post by QHF)
    E7 has already been dropping little bits of its plot in the thirteen episodes you've seen, but things don't really come to a head in terms of the overarching plot until much later, from what I remember.

Kudos for watching Soukou, while I wouldn't call it an absolute classic I thought it did a few interesting things, and like a lot of interesting but small titles from the past it seems to be largely ignored nowadays.
    Guess I'll give it some more time then or I'd feel like I'm missing out, given all the high ratings!

Any other really good military/mecha themed anime (with some romance as well) in recent years that I should watch? They're all I've been watching recently :bandit:

ReputationRep:
    Any other really good military/mecha themed anime (with some romance as well) in recent years that I should watch? They're all I've been watching recently :bandit:
    Hmm, off the top of my head... from the last ten years or so you could try Zegapain, Macross Frontier or Heroic Age. Oh, and Gundam Unicorn has been pretty solid fun and is very well made, though it's not finished yet. Xam'd: Lost Memories was pretty neat in some respects but rather dropped the ball as it went on, if you ask me. And if you want something utterly silly either Aquarion Evol or Godannar might fit the bill though in rather different ways (Godannar is aimed at bored salarymen who remember older mecha shows, from what I could work out). This list isn't exhaustive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by King Amukee)

its worth it imo, 2nd series was pretty much a train wreck but it managed to pull itself together quite well in the end :yes:

(Original post by Tabris)
    Just read the manga then use the anime to flesh some scenes out.
    not a big fan of action manga, so mainly on that reason im gona watch the anime first

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QHF)
    Hmm, off the top of my head... from the last ten years or so you could try Zegapain, Macross Frontier or Heroic Age. Oh, and Gundam Unicorn has been pretty solid fun and is very well made, though it's not finished yet. Xam'd: Lost Memories was pretty neat in some respects but rather dropped the ball as it went on, if you ask me. And if you want something utterly silly either Aquarion Evol or Godannar might fit the bill though in rather different ways (Godannar is aimed at bored salarymen who remember older mecha shows, from what I could work out). This list isn't exhaustive.
    Thanks for the recs! Heroic Age looks really good, so I'll go for that next

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eugenius 8)
    its worth it imo, 2nd series was pretty much a train wreck but it managed to pull itself together quite well in the end :yes:

not a big fan of action manga, so mainly on that reason im gona watch the anime first
    Infinite Stratos (not 100% sure on spelling)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the recs! Heroic Age looks really good, so I'll go for that next
    Yeah, I think Heroic Age is pretty fun. It kind of sank without trace because it aired at the same time as Gurren Lagann, IIRC.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah heroic age is one of the great animes that seem to have been overlooked. I really enjoyed it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PreppyNinja)
    I'm also obsessed with Attack on Titan.
    do u read the manga

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by electro14)
    do u read the manga
    I am reading it now, do you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PreppyNinja)
    I am reading it now, do you?
    once the anime finishes, i will start reading it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by electro14)
    once the anime finishes, i will start reading it
    I am too curious to wait! ^_^

ReputationRep:
    I'll read it when the anime ends, id prefer to watch the anime first and not spoil the story until it ends or gets cancled as most anime great anime do.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.