Turn on thread page Beta

The Anime Society 5: Tentacles For All! watch

ReputationRep:
    Watched Puella Magi Madoka Magica after it was recommended to me. I didn't even know there was a 'magical girl' genre, turns out there is. If you want to see it get destroyed its a good series! I was pleasantly surprised.

Seems quite popular so I'm sure a lot of you have heard of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hanvyj)
    Watched Puella Magi Madoka Magica after it was recommended to me. I didn't even know there was a 'magical girl' genre, turns out there is. If you want to see it get destroyed its a good series! I was pleasantly surprised.

Seems quite popular so I'm sure a lot of you have heard of it.
    I've seen it, watched the whole thing in 1 sitting actually...it's in my top 10 for sure. I think the third movie is coming out this summer/autumn which should be good because it takes off where the anime left off (first 2 movies were series recap).

also I think the first post of this thread has a picture of one of the characters from madoka crossed with one from evangelion which makes me laugh every time I see it
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Shoegazer92)
    also I think the first post of this thread has a picture of one of the characters from madoka crossed with one from evangelion which makes me laugh every time I see it
    Yeah, I thought the picture was a great combination of an older classic and a brand new (at the time of posting) anime series, perfect to represent the society. That, and I just found it funny. :giggle:

ReputationRep:
    Can anybody suggest an anime relating to ancient Japan* to me? I prefer shōunen
    I've seen basilisk, it wasn't great...too shujo :yucky:
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by lilmissshady)
    Can anybody suggest an ancient Japanese anime to me? I prefer shōunen
    I've seen basilisk, it wasn't great...too shujo :yucky:
    Did you mean shoujo? Basilisk!? :zomg: Not with the amount of violence and sexual content in it, that could only be seinen. :p:

Anyway, medieval/feudal Japan themed shounen series... there's the currently airing Mushibugyou, or in terms of complete series, Sengoku Basara, and (not exactly 'ancient', but certainly historical and containing plenty of sword fights), Rurouni Kenshin. That's the best I can come up with, at least.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryJellyfish)
    Did you mean shoujo? Basilisk!? :zomg: Not with the amount of violence and sexual content in it, that could only be seinen. :p:

Anyway, medieval/feudal Japan themed shounen series... there's the currently airing Mushibugyou, or in terms of complete series, Sengoku Basara, and (not exactly 'ancient', but certainly historical and containing plenty of sword fights), Rurouni Kenshin. That's the best I can come up with, at least.
    Shoujo it is*
    I did say it wasn't great lol but okaish, the combat scenes are pretty good the rest I fast forwarded LOL

Thankyou, rurouni kenshin sounds the best!!! I shall check em all out
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by lilmissshady)
    Shoujo it is*
    I did say it wasn't great lol but okaish, the combat scenes are pretty good the rest I fast forwarded LOL

Thankyou, rurouni kenshin sounds the best!!! I shall check em all out
    A bit of romance here and there doesn't make a series shoujo, though! Shoujo is a demographic, manga and anime aimed at young/teenage girls. Which Basilisk definitely isn't. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Sorry if this has already been posted and I'm completely oblivious. ಥ‿ಥ
    But is anyone going to watch Rozen Maiden series 3 this summer?
    I can't believe they've made a new series after all this time, I LOVE Rozen Maiden.
    (❁´◡`❁)*✲゚*/feels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dmon1Unlimited)
    how is dgray man? its on my list of things to watch, including the new series of inuyasha and avatar (among other stuff),
    It's not bad. It is at its best in the middle of the series rather than at the beginning or the end, in my opinion...

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know of any school life anime that has a sort of togetherness feeling? I know I've said this before but I really enjoyed kuroko no basket and how'd they'd still be together outside of school. Some comedy would be nice too nothing too romantic.

P.s. Attack of Titans is just unbelievable, wish there manga was a weekly though it'll catch up soon.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F_shakeey)
    Does anyone know of any school life anime that has a sort of togetherness feeling? I know I've said this before but I really enjoyed kuroko no basket and how'd they'd still be together outside of school. Some comedy would be nice too nothing too romantic.

P.s. Attack of Titans is just unbelievable, wish there manga was a weekly though it'll catch up soon.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Special A. (Some romance). Seitokai No Ichizon. Fruits Basket. Ouran Highschool Host Club. Hyouka. (Mystery, but with a group of friends). Shugo Chara. Ladies versus Butlers. I'm guessing you want a kind of 'happier' school life anime, rather than one with like gore or something dark. (´∇ノ`*)ノ
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Gakuen Utopia Manabi Straight! is the first thing that springs to mind, followed by Hitohira and Sora no Manimani. Hard to think of high school series that have decent character and friendship development without it leading to romance. :hmmmm2:

Maybe try Gokusen and Great Teacher Onizuka too, if you don't mind the focus being on awesome teachers as well as their pupils. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Gakuen Utopia Manabi Straight! is the first thing that springs to mind, followed by Hitohira and Sora no Manimani. Hard to think of high school series that have decent character and friendship development without it leading to romance. :hmmmm2:

Maybe try Gokusen and Great Teacher Onizuka too, if you don't mind the focus being on awesome teachers as well as their pupils. :yes:
    Thanks a lot I'll check them out. GTO sounds pretty cool :yep:
    I have this issue that once I've seen a certain anime I'll become really attached to it for a while :lol:
    Was an anime of yankee kun to megane chan ever made?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Was an anime of yankee kun to megane chan ever made?
    Not yet. :no:

ReputationRep:
    Not yet. :no:
    Damn that was a pretty good manga :sigh:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Apologies for double post

(Original post by HayleyChuu)
    Special A. (Some romance). Seitokai No Ichizon. Fruits Basket. Ouran Highschool Host Club. Hyouka. (Mystery, but with a group of friends). Shugo Chara. Ladies versus Butlers. I'm guessing you want a kind of 'happier' school life anime, rather than one with like gore or something dark. (´∇ノ`*)ノ
    I've heard about Ouran Highschool, what's it like in your opinion or anyone else here who's watched it?
    Yeah haha happy as in not romance but something that doesn't make you feel sad or shaken. Code Geass was pretty cool though considering it's a psychological anime :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Been lurking on this thread a while, thought it was probably time to post something.

I've been watching Code Geass recently, which I LOVE, was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for anime similar? I'm finding that I slightly prefer the characters over the plot, if that helps.

In reply to the previous post, Ouran HSHC was one of the first anime I ever watched and I really enjoyed it. It's funny and the characters are great - I thought it was going to lean more to the romance side but it didn't, which I enjoyed.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by drowninginsound)
    Been lurking on this thread a while, thought it was probably time to post something.

I've been watching Code Geass recently, which I LOVE, was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for anime similar? I'm finding that I slightly prefer the characters over the plot, if that helps.
    Welcome to the society.

This season's Sunrise mech show Kakumeiki Valvrave is an obvious recommendation, but if you'd prefer shows that are already finished, Death Note, Monster or Gankutsuou might be worth checking out.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! I'm halfway through Death Note at the moment but I'll definitely check out the others once exams are finished.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drowninginsound)
    Thanks! I'm halfway through Death Note at the moment but I'll definitely check out the others once exams are finished.
    Once you finish it you have got to watch code geass, its GOAT

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.