The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ianh16
Just watched the latest Oreimo, I really enjoyed this episode. It made me laugh really hard a few times, it's been a while since an anime made me laugh like that. :smile:

yeah same here, couldn't believe some of the stuff that was coming out of those characters mouths :rofl: was nice to see more of Kanoko as well :smile:
Original post by AngryJellyfish
While I would recommend sticking to One Piece (it is worth it eventually, trust me), I'd also suggest Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Baccano!, and/or Basilisk. :yes:

I watched it for the first 10 episodes - WAS SO BORED! I forced myself to watch it on the understanding it would pick up because it was so big in Japan!
Original post by Entrepreneur123
Just started to watch One Piece. Not so good so far but according to other One Piece fans it will get better. Before I get way into it, is there anything else that you guys recommend I watch instead?

Ideally I don't want to have to wait every week for a new episode, but if its really good then I don't mind. I'd like something with a lot of action and strong characters, something with a solid storyline to go with it and not just meaningless fights, and a little but of humour (Naruto was pretty funny at times)

Posted from TSR Mobile

FMA/FMAB
Death Note
Ao No Exorcist
Steins Gate
Angel Beats
All Higurashi series
Fairy Tail (Continuing)
Heaven's Lost Property/Forte (Waiting on season 3)
Highschool of the dead
DN Angel
Dog Days
Dragonball series
Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles - Second series trumps the first in terms of humour, not enough humour is season 1 personally
Elfen Lied
Soul Eater
Sword Art Online
Shaman King
Black Butler (Season 1 and 2)
Ouran Highschool Host Club
Eden of the East
My Bride Is A Mermaid

Some of the animes I have watched (just copied from a thread a made months back).
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Scienceisgood
I watched it for the first 10 episodes - WAS SO BORED! I forced myself to watch it on the understanding it would pick up because it was so big in Japan!

Well, it does pick up... it just takes a bit more than 10 episodes to do so. I'd say ep 30 was the start of the first half-decent arc, but to be perfectly honest, for me it didn't reach that whole new level of awesome until about ep 230 - which still left me with over 300 episodes to go, during which it just got better and better.

So yeah, One Piece takes patience. :p: That alone means it isn't for everyone, I guess, but personally I'm glad I made it the first long-running shounen series I picked up, as I feel it paid off in the end.
Well, it does pick up... it just takes a bit more than 10 episodes to do so. I'd say ep 30 was the start of the first half-decent arc, but to be perfectly honest, for me it didn't reach that whole new level of awesome until about ep 230 - which still left me with over 300 episodes to go, during which it just got better and better.

So yeah, One Piece takes patience. :p: That alone means it isn't for everyone, I guess, but personally I'm glad I made it the first long-running shounen series I picked up, as I feel it paid off in the end.

So basically, I have to watch 88.17 (accumulatively) hours of one piece until it starts to get decent?!
Oh yeah another question for you guys;

If you could enter any anime world and be friends with/meet any anime characters, who would it be and why? =P

Yh really glad one piece is long running but every time I someone says thing it always reminds me of hunter x hunter which started around the same year of before one piece. In my opinion hunter x hunter would be better than one piece if there were no breaks

Posted from TSR Mobile
So basically, I have to watch 88.17 (accumulatively) hours of one piece until it starts to get decent?!

Well, I found it pretty decent before that, just not as 'epic' as people who were up to date with it were making it out to be. :dontknow:
Original post by F_shakeey
I watched the first episode, it seems interesting. So she's basically broken a vase that belongs to a host club that basically let women come and talk to them and make them feel special for a fee?

Watching Magi at the moment and it seems pretty awesome :yep:

Yes! That is basically it. Entertain all the females.
I don't usually like harems/reverse harem type anime because they're always so cheesy but with this I let it slide because its so funny.
Are you watching the dub or sub? ლ(╹◡╹ლ)
Reply 4769
Original post by HayleyChuu
I don't usually like harems/reverse harem type anime because they're always so cheesy but with this I let it slide because its so funny.

I think Ouran's kind of atypical 'cos it knows how cheesy it is, and 'cos it's fairly honest about the fact that a few of its characters are basically sociopaths.
Original post by QHF
I think Ouran's kind of atypical 'cos it knows how cheesy it is, and 'cos it's fairly honest about the fact that a few of its characters are basically sociopaths.

I agree! It's over the top but not in a way that makes me wanna barf, instead I laugh. ಥ‿ಥ
...the season is coming to an end...

...but at least I still have shingeki....:moon:
This may sound a lot to ask but is it possible for one of you guys to list me all the episodes Zeref appears in in Fairy Tail please?
Wanna try my hand at YouTube vids. =l
probs best ep of Maou-sama so far :rofl2: so badass :cool:
Reply 4774
Ok, an update from me on what I'm watching... With work and jogging taking up much of my free time, coupled with my ongoing obsession with Quake Live, anime has taken a slight backseat lately, but I'm still managing to keep up with things over the weekend.

Arata Kangatari has taken a turn for the worse in the last couple of episodes as the studio realises that time is against them. Nonetheless, I'm still enjoying it. I just hope that the ending will be somewhat satisfactory.

Shingeki no Kyojin is not without its flaws, but it still remains my most anticipated each week and is easily my favourite from this season. The last anime, I believe, that gave me the same desire to watch it every week was probably Mirai Nikki.

Date a Live is my guilty pleasure of the season, no question. It's quite cringe worthy with the ridiculous premise, but it's still appealing and fun to watch. Can never pass up a harem, however contrived.

Devil Survivor 2 The Animation I'm a few episodes behind on. The first episode really surprised me, and I was quite keen to watch the next. However, lately it's not really enticing me to watch it.

I'm also behind on Ginga Kikoutai Majestic Prince. It's rather cliched, but from what I've seen so far, it still has potential to offer something a bit different. Has Gundam Seed vibes due to the similar character design and genre.

Hataraku Maou-sama! is simply hilarious. It's definitely among my top 3 with Shingeki no Kyojin and Suisei no Gargantia being the other two. Love the premise and especially the characters.

Hentai Ouji to Warawanai Neko is ok, but it's not really grabbing me all that much, largely because there's not much plot progression.

As mentioned, Suisei no Gargantia is among my top three for the season. Everything from the animation to the characters to the scripting, it's beautifully done. The premise is not exactly new and it's been done before in different ways, but it's handled really well here. Now that we've delving more into the overarching plot, it's getting even better, not that the slice of life of sorts was not appreciated in the earlier episodes.

Photo Kano is beyond generic. To be fair, I wasn't expecting much with this one to begin with, but I wanted to watch a romance harem series, so stuck with it. The last episode I've watched upped the ante, which definitely helped. It's far from special, but I'll carry on watching.
Hey guys, would it be worth me watching Fairy Tale? I know this show has a big and good reputation and has been suggested to me alot so i watched the first 5 episodes and wasn't impressed so just stopped watching it. I have seen just about every anime i've ever heard of and read so much manga and i have unfortunately reached one of those times when i just dont have anything to watch atm so was hoping giving Fairy Tale a second chance could solve that.
Original post by Aiko
Ok, an update from me on what I'm watching...

My overall Top 3 of the season (so far) would be Shingeki no Kyojin, Kakumeiki Valvrave and Suisei no Gargantia. Hataraku Maou-sama! would have been up there at the start of the season, but I find myself enjoying it less now that the focus is gradually shifting from comedy to plot and drama. Whereas the more 'plot' and 'drama' that's introduced to Kakumeiki Valvrave, the funnier it gets, even if that may not have been their intention. :giggle:

Devil Survivor 2 The Animation, I stalled weeks ago, because it wasn't good enough (or bad enough :p:) to make me want any more, though I may still marathon it once it's finished. I've been regretting not dropping Hentai Ouji to Warawanai Neko and/or RDG: Red Data Girl, as they've just gotten worse and worse IMO, but I might as well finish them now.

Date A Live was a surprise, I regret being so harsh on it in my season preview, as it has come in or near my Top 5 several weeks. Same goes for Mushibugyou more recently, though that got off to a very slow and generic start. Am looking forward to more of both (Date A Live has a sequel confirmed, while Mushibugyou is running for another 12-13 eps).
Reply 4777
Won an eBay bid last night on Gurren Lagann DVD collection! Well happy :biggrin: Also bought Big Windup! Complete collection which will be imported from US.
Original post by Naami
Won an eBay bid last night on Gurren Lagann DVD collection! Well happy :biggrin: Also bought Big Windup! Complete collection which will be imported from US.

I've seen Big Windup! and is actually pretty good given I typically don't watch sport anime because it is usually either American Football (which I have no idea on the rules or how to play) or something along those lines in general. :tongue:

You seen season 2 yet?
Reply 4779
I've seen Big Windup! and is actually pretty good given I typically don't watch sport anime because it is usually either American Football (which I have no idea on the rules or how to play) or something along those lines in general. :tongue:

You seen season 2 yet?

I admit, I knew NOTHING about baseball when I went in to watch Big Windup! but I was pleasantly surprised with how worked up I could be about some of the matches :P I also picked up a few rules from the show then googled the rest. Yup seen season 2 but I was gutted they didn't dub it, and for some reason I can't really remember much of it :frown: I heard sales of the first season was pretty poor though.

Have you tried Kuroko no Basket, it's pretty cool. I mean it lacks total realism but my God, some of the animation on the basketball playing scenes....:coma:

Latest