Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryJellyfish)
    £50 is a lot... pretty much every time I order a manga volume over £30, I stop and think about whether it's really worth it, or whether I could put the money to better use... but then I buy it anyway. :p: Manga is my one real indulgence, and I save far more than I spend on it, so I can somehow justify my obsession. :giggle:

A pic, you say? I could never fit it into one.

My Anime & Manga collection
    The main bookshelf, where I store complete and/or oversized manga, plus one side of the revolving bookshelf where I keep my ongoing series:

Other side of the revolving bookshelf:

Home made bookshelf, all complete series (mostly Tokyopop), my pitiful anime soundtrack collection (both of them), anime mugs (obscured by the light), and half my figurines:

More manga hidden away wherever there is space:

*might have bought Ayako just because it makes a great bookend, bridging the chasm between my desk and the wall* A few other anime-related odds and ends here and there, too. :p:

What do you do when your manga collection is taking up more room than your clothes? Take over the chest of drawers! This is also where I hide away the series that aren't getting published anymore, looking at incomplete series makes me sad.

Piles of unread volumes in front, Rave Master behind (because it's too big to fit anywhere else):

And finally, my (comparatively) small anime collection, Range Murata artbook, and the rest of the figurines.

Will you marry me?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Scienceisgood)
    Will you marry me?
    That depends, how big is YOUR collection? :p:

I'm a bit worried that I'll keep buying long after I run out of shelf space. There's a few gaps here and there, but just finding permanent homes for the volumes I've got piled up near my bed might be a struggle...

ReputationRep:
    That depends, how big is YOUR collection? :p:

I'm a bit worried that I'll keep buying long after I run out of shelf space. There's a few gaps here and there, but just finding permanent homes for the volumes I've got piled up near my bed might be a struggle...
    Don't you think that's a bit personal asking a guy his size since we haven't even gone out yet?! :cool:

ReputationRep:
    I saw Pacific Rim today. It's so anime it hurts. (Also pretty fun, in a don't-think-too-hard way.)

Also, I've been watching Fist of the North Star, which is mad, usually in a good way. It seems much more simple and more serious than modern shounen action shows, and has a nice line in ridiculously gory deaths.

ReputationRep:
    £50 is a lot... pretty much every time I order a manga volume over £30, I stop and think about whether it's really worth it, or whether I could put the money to better use... but then I buy it anyway. :p: Manga is my one real indulgence, and I save far more than I spend on it, so I can somehow justify my obsession. :giggle:

A pic, you say? I could never fit it into one.

My Anime & Manga collection
    The main bookshelf, where I store complete and/or oversized manga, plus one side of the revolving bookshelf where I keep my ongoing series:

Other side of the revolving bookshelf:

Home made bookshelf, all complete series (mostly Tokyopop), my pitiful anime soundtrack collection (both of them), anime mugs (obscured by the light), and half my figurines:

More manga hidden away wherever there is space:

*might have bought Ayako just because it makes a great bookend, bridging the chasm between my desk and the wall* A few other anime-related odds and ends here and there, too. :p:

What do you do when your manga collection is taking up more room than your clothes? Take over the chest of drawers! This is also where I hide away the series that aren't getting published anymore, looking at incomplete series makes me sad.

Piles of unread volumes in front, Rave Master behind (because it's too big to fit anywhere else):

And finally, my (comparatively) small anime collection, Range Murata artbook, and the rest of the figurines.

Oh my :fan: And you own School Rumble! You, sir, have good taste :chaplin: And WOW you actually own a Loveless volume. That manga confuses the crap outta me.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Naami)
    Oh my :fan: And you own School Rumble! You, sir, have good taste :chaplin: And WOW you actually own a Loveless volume. That manga confuses the crap outta me.
    Unfortunately, School Rumble is in the stalled/dropped pile. Not through choice, DelRey/Tanoshimi/Kodansha just decided it wasn't selling enough. There's another six volumes which I don't have, but as much as I enjoyed it, I'd rather spend money on series I know I'll be able to finish. The anime is in my large 'want to watch' backlog, though.

Three Loveless omnibuses (omnibi?), actually, though I've only read two so far. :yes: I liked the anime, but the ending (or lack of one) was disappointing, so I took Viz's 2-in-1 releases as an excuse to catch up with the manga instead. I'm following everything so far. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately, School Rumble is in the stalled/dropped pile. Not through choice, DelRey/Tanoshimi/Kodansha just decided it wasn't selling enough. There's another six volumes which I don't have, but as much as I enjoyed it, I'd rather spend money on series I know I'll be able to finish. The anime is in my large 'want to watch' backlog, though.

Three Loveless omnibuses (omnibi?), actually, though I've only read two so far. :yes: I liked the anime, but the ending (or lack of one) was disappointing, so I took Viz's 2-in-1 releases as an excuse to catch up with the manga instead. I'm following everything so far. :p:
    Oh has Kodansha/Del Ray dropped the series? That's one of my biggest pet peeves, when a series is dropped halfway through >.< I would very much recommend the anime though, especially in the english dub - Brandon Potter as Harima Kenji :coma:

I think I last read Loveless like 3 years ago - at the time around 80 chapters were out. I was mostly confused by genders in this series. It took me a long while to figure out who were girls and who were boys since everyone looked so androgynous. The plot was good, but it was slow moving so decided to drop it. Is it worth picking up again?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Naami)
    Oh has Kodansha/Del Ray dropped the series? That's one of my biggest pet peeves, when a series is dropped halfway through >.< I would very much recommend the anime though, especially in the english dub - Brandon Potter as Harima Kenji :coma:

I think I last read Loveless like 3 years ago - at the time around 80 chapters were out. I was mostly confused by genders in this series. It took me a long while to figure out who were girls and who were boys since everyone looked so androgynous. The plot was good, but it was slow moving so decided to drop it. Is it worth picking up again?
    English dubs... :puke: Think I'll take my chances with the original voice cast, doing so has never disappointed me so far. :nah:

The latest chapter of Loveless I read was 19, so I can't comment on whether it's picked up since you last read it. Certainly slow moving, but I compensate for that by reading faster. :p: Androgyny works just fine for me, but so far (as far as I'm aware) the only character that I didn't identify straight away was Kio.

ReputationRep:
    English dubs... :puke: Think I'll take my chances with the original voice cast, doing so has never disappointed me so far. :nah:

The latest chapter of Loveless I read was 19, so I can't comment on whether it's picked up since you last read it. Certainly slow moving, but I compensate for that by reading faster. :p: Androgyny works just fine for me, but so far (as far as I'm aware) the only character that I didn't identify straight away was Kio.
    Ahh not a fan of dubs, eh? Not even Bebop or FMA?

Oh and I just purchased the NGE Platinum collection - found it on up1.co.uk for £55!
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Naami)
    Ahh not a fan of dubs, eh? Not even Bebop or FMA?

Oh and I just purchased the NGE Platinum collection - found it on up1.co.uk for £55!
    Has to be the Japanese for Cowboy Bebop, or any show where Norio Wakamoto voices any character for that matter. Can't say I have any complaints about Romi Park or Rie Kugimiya as the Elric brothers either, so I've never bothered checking out the dubs.

There's pretty much only three reasons I'd voluntarily watch an English dub:

1: The anime was originally dubbed in English (e.g. Afro Samurai) - It's not that I don't like English dubs, I just prefer to watch things in their original language. Which is rarely English.

2: The anime isn't available subbed in English (e.g. Oban Star Racers) - I'd sooner watch it in French with English subs if I could, but I doubt there's much demand for that. :no:

3: Both the anime and the English dub are notoriously bad, so watching it dubbed increases the entertainment value (e.g. Garzey's Wing). See below if you're unfamiliar. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Hey, first time posting here.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    The final volume of Gunslinger Girl arrived in the post today. :excited: Which means I'll be looking to start another series once I've finished that... so many options, so little shelf space. :p:

(Original post by forgottenromeo)
    Hey, first time posting here.
    Hello again. Always good to have more people posting. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    The final volume of Gunslinger Girl arrived in the post today. :excited: Which means I'll be looking to start another series once I've finished that... so many options, so little shelf space. :p:
    I am always open to donations.

ReputationRep:
    The first ep of Kimi no Iru Machi is out yay! I'm a huge fan of the manga Last year's OVA was good, but it didn't capture the story very well. However, this series looks really promising.
    This Summer looks like it's going to be a good season for anime releases, so many good series

ReputationRep:
    AngryJellyfish - is that the Tsubasa manga at the bottom of the first picture?
    How did it go/do?

I ask because the anime got discontinued due to the producers saying "we do not promote alcohol or violence" or some rubbish like that. =l
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    AngryJellyfish - is that the Tsubasa manga at the bottom of the first picture?
    How did it go/do?

I ask because the anime got discontinued due to the producers saying "we do not promote alcohol or violence" or some rubbish like that. =l
    It is Tsubasa, and personally, I liked it (though it did get very confusing towards the end).

The anime adaptation wasn't that great anyway - the manga crosses over heavily with xxxHOLiC, the other series CLAMP was publishing at the same time. But since both series got picked up by different anime studios, they had to remove most of those crossovers. Which really wouldn't have worked later on if the Tsubasa anime had continued. :nah:

Thinking about it, those bottom two shelves in the first picture are basically a shrine to CLAMP. Amazing how it all fits so nicely. :p:

ReputationRep:
    It is Tsubasa, and personally, I liked it (though it did get very confusing towards the end).

The anime adaptation wasn't that great anyway - the manga crosses over heavily with xxxHOLiC, the other series CLAMP was publishing at the same time (see the shelf above Tsubasa :p:). But since both series got picked up by different anime studios, they had to remove most of those crossovers. Which really wouldn't have worked later on if the Tsubasa anime had continued. :nah:
    Out of respect for your manga collection, I am gonna make it my mission to buy the local library (which is currently 4 stories where I live) and then fill it with nothing but manga/dvds. =P

Then it is highly unlikely I will run out of space for around 20 years. May have to buy another house for my manga when I reach 50. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I recently re-watched all of Gintama and for a comedy it's really depressing, anyone else notice this?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Out of respect for your manga collection, I am gonna make it my mission to buy the local library (which is currently 4 stories where I live) and then fill it with nothing but manga/dvds. =P

Then it is highly unlikely I will run out of space for around 20 years. May have to buy another house for my manga when I reach 50. :rolleyes:
    I wish I could run some sort of manga library/cafe. And that I lived in an area where such a business would stand a remote chance of being successful. :moon:

ReputationRep:
    I wish I could run some sort of manga library/cafe. And that I lived in an area where such a business would stand a remote chance of being successful. :moon:
    Even in a busy area it would be a good idea, it'd be a place for everyone to meet and chat :yep:
    Then again everyone just reads/watches online now :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.