Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F_shakeey)
    Even in a busy area it would be a good idea, it'd be a place for everyone to meet and chat :yep:
    Then again everyone just reads/watches online now :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I can confirm that since using the portable hard drive and downloading all my anime from online (and I do intend on buying the DVD/Blu Ray versions in the future as to promote the animes/mangas) the experience of watching anime on TV is SO MUCH GREATER than watching it online. :rolleyes:

Although, I am thinking 1080p versions of anime take up A LOT of space!
    I downloaded the first 18 eps of Soul Eater in 1080p quality (15.5GB)!

EDIT:
    Although, because some of the anime I watch does have golden humour in it but some is quite dirty, I have placed all my anime into a folder titled "Click here to format Hard Drive" so my parents don't touch it. =l
    Also, parents don't know I watch anime and I KNOW I will get the whole "Your too old for cartoons" crap!
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Even in a busy area it would be a good idea, it'd be a place for everyone to meet and chat :yep:
    Then again everyone just reads/watches online now :yep:
    I can't really comment on that, since I'm just as guilty when it comes to anime fansubs - I want series quick, well-translated, and in HD, as opposed to the dubiously translated/sometimes dubtitled official releases which get to the UK about a year after their US release (and only if they sell well over there). Quite often I'll buy DVDs purely to support the industry, then leave them to look pretty on my shelves while I download the fansubbed version. :p:

Manga, though, I prefer in book form to reading from a screen. Plus I find it tends to be more reasonably priced (not counting the out-of-print volumes I spend £50 on :flute:), and isn't region locked like DVDs (obviously), so I'm much more active in supporting that side of the industry.

ReputationRep:
    Also, I don't know why but this image to me is pure gold. I can't explain why but it fits so well! XD

Name:  King.png
Views: 51
Size:  442.1 KB

Would love to find a coloured image of this pic!
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Scienceisgood)
    Although, because some of the anime I watch does have golden humour in it but some is quite dirty, I have placed all my anime into a folder titled "Click here to format Hard Drive" so my parents don't touch it. =l
    Also, parents don't know I watch anime and I KNOW I will get the whole "Your too old for cartoons" crap!
    I'm don't know when it was that my anime/manga obsession got so noticeable. I mean, I never tried to hide it or anything (Dad collects Marvel comics so sort of understands; Mum disapproves of pretty much everything I do anyway), but for a long time, I did have regular novels and DVDs on those shelves too. I'm not entirely sure what happened to them...

I have a lot of series that would likely be 15/18 rated if they were licensed over here... had to pause a couple of times last season when my parents or siblings came in while I was watching Hyakka Ryouran: Samurai Bride, for example. :p: If they come in while I'm watching something nice and innocent, though, I'll often keep it running, just so they don't get too suspicious. :giggle:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryJellyfish)
    I can't really comment on that, since I'm just as guilty when it comes to anime fansubs - I want series quick, well-translated, and in HD, as opposed to the dubiously translated/sometimes dubtitled official releases which get to the UK about a year after their US release (and only if they sell well over there). Quite often I'll buy DVDs purely to support the industry, then leave them to look pretty on my shelves while I download the fansubbed version. :p:

Manga, though, I prefer in book form to reading from a screen. Plus I find it tends to be more reasonably priced (not counting the out-of-print volumes I spend £50 on :flute:), and isn't region locked like DVDs (obviously), so I'm much more active in supporting that side of the industry.
    I agree with the anime. Far too difficult to find good dubs with anime these days and anything released here will never have subs. Like you said they take too long as well.

I do enjoy reading from a book, I'm quite a book worm myself. The only manga I've ever bought though is DNAngel. I'd love to be able to have full shelves of manga I could pick up any time and read. How do you keep them in such good condition I.e. no wear and tear?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    How do you keep them in such good condition I.e. no wear and tear?
    I... don't, unfortunately. I try my hardest, but there's been a lot of obstacles along the way.

In the early days I'd let my sisters borrow my manga, and if/when I got it back, it was often in pretty bad condition. Then there was the whole "MY ROOM IS LEAKING" thing, which is the reason I don't keep any manga on that side of the room anymore (DVDs should be safe in their plastic packaging, but even they're not against the wall if you look hard at my last pic). Plenty of my manga got water damaged that time. Finally, there's the danger of buying manga pre-owned, which I'm forced to do for a lot of rarer stuff. Quite often, it arrives in bad condition to begin with. :s:

More recently, I have been bagging the series/volumes that are in particularly good condition, rare, or that I simply like (you can just about see the shiny plastic reflections from some of the books in the first pic, and in the chest of drawers pic). Suppose I should do the lot really, but it requires time and effort, and spending money on plastic sleeves that I could be spending on books instead. :giggle:

ReputationRep:
    Cling film! or food bags the kind with the resealable thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryJellyfish)
    I... don't, unfortunately. I try my hardest, but there's been a lot of obstacles along the way.

In the early days I'd let my sisters borrow my manga, and if/when I got it back, it was often in pretty bad condition. Then there was the whole "MY ROOM IS LEAKING" thing, which is the reason I don't keep any manga on that side of the room anymore (DVDs should be safe in their plastic packaging, but even they're not against the wall if you look hard at my last pic). Plenty of my manga got water damaged that time. Finally, there's the danger of buying manga pre-owned, which I'm forced to do for a lot of rarer stuff. Quite often, it arrives in bad condition to begin with. :s:

More recently, I have been bagging the series/volumes that are in particularly good condition, rare, or that I simply like (you can just about see the shiny plastic reflections from some of the books in the first pic, and in the chest of drawers pic). Suppose I should do the lot really, but it requires time and effort, and spending money on plastic sleeves that I could be spending on books instead. :giggle:
    May sound nerdy but how about those vacuum bag things?
    Suck the air out and as long as it doesn't get wet should remain in pretty good condition. =)
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by forgottenromeo)
    Cling film! or food bags the kind with the resealable thing.
    Suppose they would be the cheaper, easier option. :giggle: The bags I buy are designed for standard manga size, though, so they fit better than I imagine most food bags would. :p:

May sound nerdy but how about those vacuum bag things?
    Suck the air out and as long as it doesn't get wet should remain in pretty good condition. =)
    Can't say I know much about those. :beard: Would they be clear on all sides and stack easily on bookshelves, though? I like my collection to look impressive, after all, and you hardly notice those manga bags are there. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    You could always but the not so good condition ones in food bags and reserve the manga sleeves for the rare and good condition ones.

ReputationRep:
    This is the kinda of storage I mean by vacuum sealing.

I can't find any companies/products which seal manga because I don't know the dimensions but perhaps this is the sort of thing you may be interested in?

Unless you completely submerge them in water or your house floods they should remain in the condition you sealed them in. =P

Name:  Spidey13.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  319.1 KB

I know this is a comic but finding manga packaged in the same way is harder to find. =l

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone going to alcon?

ReputationRep:
    I was, still really want to but can't afford it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Finished Gunslinger Girl, a great ending to a great series in my opinion (though as with Negima!, I didn't think the bonus chapter added much).

Inevitably followed that up with the purchase of volume 1 of a new series... choosing from all the awesome looking licensed manga out there was always going to be tough, but in the end I did the only logical thing: completely ignore the 20 titles I spent ages finding and ranking in my Goodreads 'want to read' list, and pick up Knights of Sidonia on a whim instead. :giggle: Replacing one action-packed seinen series with another helps maintain some balance in my increasingly shoujo-heavy lineup anyhow. :p:

*will likely finish Record of Lodoss War: Chronicles of the Heroic Knight next week*

ReputationRep:
    I just started watching "Is This A Zombie?" and am finding it HILARIOUS! XD

ReputationRep:
    I was so disappointed when they remade the negima anime

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by forgottenromeo)
    I was so disappointed when they remade the negima anime
    I haven't read the manga but I have watched the first few episodes of the anime and I can tell you, not the least bit impressed...
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    I haven't read the manga but I have watched the first few episodes of the anime and I can tell you, not the least bit impressed...
    Which series, out of curiosity? The original was pretty average IMO, a decent enough adaptation of the early manga chapters, though the animation was dodgy in places, and the ending was anime original. The remake, on the other hand, was just weird, and didn't follow the manga at all (in fact, it was so different it spawned its own manga series). Certainly looked a lot nicer though.

My favourite Negima anime adaptation has to be Mou Hitotsu no Sekai... but that definitely wouldn't make sense to someone unfamiliar with the manga, since it jumps straight into the latter arcs at chapter ~184. :nah:

ReputationRep:
    Guys, what's everyone's favourite anime related song?

Mine is the following;

Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    Guys, what's everyone's favourite anime related song?

Mine is the following;

Spoiler:
    Show
    Way too many to decide which is my favourite. Bleach has an awesome OST though.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.