Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryJellyfish)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Your quick search has brought up some good results, the shows you've listed are certainly among the best action series of recent years. :yes: Here's a few more I'd suggest - sorry if the list is a bit big, but 8 years out of the loop means you've missed out on a lot. :p:

2006:
    Black Lagoon - Code Geass - Death Note - Higurashi no Naku Koro ni - Noein

2007:
    Baccano! - Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann - Claymore - Zombie-Loan - Sword of the Stranger

2008:
    Ga-Rei Zero - Kaiba - Kurenai - Shigofumi - Macross Frontier

2009:
    Kemono no Souja Erin - Sengoku Basara - Guin Saga - Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 - Aoi Bungaku

2010:
    Shiki - Durarara!! - House of Five Leaves - Rainbow - Katanagatari

2011:
    Steins;Gate - Fate/Zero - Mirai Nikki - Puella Magi Madoka Magica - Un-Go

2012:
    Shin Sekai Yori - Zetsuen no Tempest - Tasogare Otome x Amnesia - Jormungand - Robotics;Notes

2013 (bear in mind some are still airing):
    Kakumeiki Valvrave - Suisei no Gargantia - Kamisama no Inai Nichiyoubi - Danganronpa - Gatchaman Crowds

...those are just some of the ones I'd consider highlights. :giggle:
    (Original post by IMakeSenseToNone)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Holla! -waves-

Certainly some good stuff there and Angryjellyfish gave some great ones. IMHO you should check out Planetes which is my personal favourite sci-fi anime and if you try Higurashi no Naku Koro ni then 'Another' is worth a watch as well.

Other recs (I'm probably going to kick myself for missing a bunch but oh well):
    Hell Girl (Horror/Action)
    Paranoia Agent (Horror)
    Revolutionary Girl Utena (not as cutesy as it first appears, honest!)
    Eden of the East (Sci-fi elements)
    Texhnolyze (Only if you like your anime void of happy feels)
    Mushishi (Sort of horror-y)
    Gankutsuou (sci-fi/awesome version of Counte of Monte Cristo)
    Gyo (Lovecraft-esque horror film)
    Legend of the Galactic Heroes (bit old but it's brilliant sci-fi)
    Cat Soup (for when you no longer want your sanity)
    Monster (psychological thriller)
    Time of Eve (sci-fi)
    Pale Cacoon (dystopian future oneshot)
    Le Portrait de Petit Cossette (supernatural horror)
    Voices of a Distant Star (sci-fi one shot)
    Witch Hunter Robin
    Last Exile (Sci-fi/Steampunk)
    Gunslinger Girl (Action)
    Blood+ (Horror/Action)
    Elfen Lied (Just creepy as hell)
    Michiko to Hatchin (action)
    Demon Prince Emna (horror short series)
    :awesome: Thank you kindly for the copious list of recommendations! Will be sure to work my way through them, might take some time but I'll get there Seems like I've missed out on loads during my several year exile of not watching any anime.

(Original post by Scienceisgood)
    Tell us, are you sub or dub? *Choose carefully*
    Although, if you like action, I would recommend Blue Exorcist/Ao No Exorcist
    Or even Sword Art Online =P
    I prefer subtitles :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leeks)
    K-On! is a great anime, especially, if you like the more cute (or 'moe') types! Also, the music is superb!

Also, why did you drop WataMote? It's pretty cool in my opinion.

BTW, don't call me a chap. I'm a girl.
    I was losing the will to watch all the ones from this season that I picked Its only a temp drop- more like i'm stalling it until I have time.

Apologies chapette

ReputationRep:
    :hi: its been 2/3 weeks since ive seen any anime :eek2: but just watched the latest 2 eps of Naruto, its getting quite epic :teeth: next ep looks :sogood: need to catch up on Space Bros, im like 15 eps behind :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fire2burn)
    :awesome: Thank you kindly for the copious list of recommendations! Will be sure to work my way through them, might take some time but I'll get there Seems like I've missed out on loads during my several year exile of not watching any anime.
    Of those I would say personally that Noein, Baccano!, Gurren Lagann, Katanagatari, Monster are the best. Fate/Zero is great but honestly you should play the VN first (not even watch the first anime series + movie since they are pretty terrible adaptations) which is like 30+ hours. Black Lagoon, Madoka, Sengoku Basara and Shinsekai Yori are good too.

Mirai Nikki is completely crazy, senseless violence (and fun). Tasogare Otome x Amnesia is quite good and it's a "mysterious girlfriend" type show - the core is romance, with slight horror and mystery aspects. Robotics;Notes was terrible. I don't really think that much of any of the 2013 shows listed either :P

I would also recommend (sorry!) Dennou Coil and Tetsuwan Birdy Decode.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MJasper)
    Of those I would say personally that Noein, Baccano!, Gurren Lagann, Katanagatari, Monster are the best. Fate/Zero is great but honestly you should play the VN first (not even watch the first anime series + movie since they are pretty terrible adaptations) which is like 30+ hours. Black Lagoon, Madoka, Sengoku Basara and Shinsekai Yori are good too.

Mirai Nikki is completely crazy, senseless violence (and fun). Tasogare Otome x Amnesia is quite good and it's a "mysterious girlfriend" type show - the core is romance, with slight horror and mystery aspects. Robotics;Notes was terrible. I don't really think that much of any of the 2013 shows listed either :P

I would also recommend (sorry!) Dennou Coil and Tetsuwan Birdy Decode.
    Hey What's Noein like? It's one of the few series I have on DVD, but I still haven't got around to watching it:/

Your taste in anime is awesome! Of the series you've mentioned I've seen Black Lagoon, Baccano!, Mirai Nikki and Tasogare Otome x Amnesia They're all pretty high up on my "favourites list". Also watching Watamote - just about to watch the newest ep

Have you been watching Danganropa of this season?

ReputationRep:
    any new english dubbed animes?

ReputationRep:
    Figure I'll put my 2 cents in regarding this seasons anime offerings.

Dog 'n me Fan service absurdity with many moments of pure QUALITY. Dropped after second episode

C3 Club Cute girls doing cute [airsoft-related] things. Never-the-less is decent enough for me to carry on with it for now. Plus the whole
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Protag appearing to have Haruhi-level powers
    is interesting.

Danganronpa. Huge chunks of the game have been cut out which is making the whole series feel very rushed. Dropped in favor of playing the original game.

Love Lab Cute. Decent humour. Sticking with this one for now.

Prisma Ilya Only watching it for the fate series references. Not very good but will carry on for now.

Monogatari Needs more ararargi. Good as always.

Blood Lad Guess there has to be one shonen type show that I watch every season. This ones nothing special and I could see myself not even bothering to watch it soon.

Wakamote Easily my anime of the season. Laugh a minute stuff.

World God only knows Goddess arc Enjoyed the manga and for the most part this is a faithful adaption.

Neptunia the animation Console wars the anime? Crazy or ingenius? No clue. I carry on watching for now.

All in all a fairly lacking season although thankfully AoT is still going strong and same with railgun for now.

ReputationRep:
    This thread just makes me feel bad for being so far behind I think a day of nothing but new anime is in order.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by porridgeandrhi)
    Hey What's Noein like? It's one of the few series I have on DVD, but I still haven't got around to watching it:/

Your taste in anime is awesome! Of the series you've mentioned I've seen Black Lagoon, Baccano!, Mirai Nikki and Tasogare Otome x Amnesia They're all pretty high up on my "favourites list". Also watching Watamote - just about to watch the newest ep

Have you been watching Danganropa of this season?
    Noein centres around parallel dimensions and that kind of thing. It has really amazing characters and character-based plot development. The animation is kinda out there, but you get used to it and the fights just look wonderful. Near the middle the pacing drags a little but it just gets better and better as it reaches the end.

I'm not really impressed with Danganronpa. I'm a big fan of the visual novels 999/VLR which have very similar premises to it - and are also outstanding, so maybe having that in my head is making me judge Danganronpa more harshly.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by study beats)
    Dubs aren't my specialty, but going by Amazon, recent UK releases include Kore wa Zombie desu ka?, Steins;Gate, Bakemonogatari, Hidan no Aria and Un-Go. :yes: Might be worth looking under the site's new releases if you want to know what else is out on BluRay/DVD over here; if however you're after *really* new English dubs and would rather stream or import, I guess you could do the same on the US Amazon instead? :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carecup)
    Monogatari Needs more ararargi. Good as always.
    I didn't realise there was a new series out! Oh wow that's made my day

ReputationRep:
    Had a wander into Forbidden Planet today and because my friend said I 'needed' to watch the anime series I bought a volume of Ai****eruze Baby manga, he'll be getting my wrath if I dislike it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nixonsjellybeans)
    Had a wander into Forbidden Planet today and because my friend said I 'needed' to watch the anime series I bought a volume of Ai****eruze Baby manga, he'll be getting my wrath if I dislike it
    Quick question! How reasonably priced is a Forbidden Planet store compared to the interwebs? There's one which is a half an hour walk from where i'm going to uni so I want to see if it'll be worth the travel :^_^:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by study beats)
    The first episode of Sword Art Online english dub was released on the 27th. =l
    Blue exorcist was dubbed recently.
    Is this a zombie was also dubbed recently.

Also, some of the second series of Fairy Tail =l

ReputationRep:
    Quick question! How reasonably priced is a Forbidden Planet store compared to the interwebs? There's one which is a half an hour walk from where i'm going to uni so I want to see if it'll be worth the travel :^_^:
    I'm not sure on the whole, only my second visit today but I picked it up for £1 off the sale section where as amazon has it at around £4-5. So today was a random buy on the cheap. Its worth going just to look round anyway

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure on the whole, only my second visit today but I picked it up for £1 off the sale section where as amazon has it at around £4-5. So today was a random buy on the cheap. Its worth going just to look round anyway
    That sounds good :yep: My student finance is only £300 a month so the usual £10 for one manga is sort of out of the question outside of guilting people what to get me for Christmas :awesome: Many thanks.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    I picked up six volumes of the out of print manga series After School Nightmare. Cost me £26 altogether, as they had a 3-for-2 offer. Volume 10 alone sells for £26 on Amazon. :zomg: So there's definitely good deals to be found, especially on older/more obscure stuff, but online sellers tend to be cheaper for stuff that's just been released. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    After trying the Sword Art Online English dub, literally only about 3 minutes in, I have to say, Klein's voice is good given he is a lot older than Kirito (by 8 years), but, I thought of Kirito's voice in the English dub as being a bit more, soft spoken to say the least. =l

EDIT:
    Just realised, the guy who voices Kirito is the guy who voices Rin in Ao No Exorcist in the English dub. =l

ReputationRep:
    Already had a sneaky look at whats coming up for the next season. Shant say for obvious reasons but i'm not greatly impressed.

ReputationRep:
    Already had a sneaky look at whats coming up for the next season. Shant say for obvious reasons but i'm not greatly impressed.
    Don't blame you, had a look myself last week - looks like the same recycled moe blobs over and over again. I'm only looking forward to Kuroko no Basket S2 and Samurai Flamenco (Director of Baccano! and Durarara!! and Character Designer of UtaPri :drool:). Pupa looks interesting too, might have more of a look into it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.