ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Juno)
    Well if you don't want yaoi and you don't want Pokemons I can't help :sad:
    Well its okay, I'll find something else, you tried :console:
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Anime Director Osamu Dezaki Passes Away)

Anime director Osamu Dezaki passed away at 12:35 a.m. on April 17 due to lung cancer. He was 67. A wake will be held on April 20, and a service will be held on April 21 in Tokyo. He is survived by his older brother Satoshi Dezaki, another anime director.

Among the many works Dezaki directed were Ace wo Nerae!, the Air film, A****a no Joe, Bionic Six, Black Jack The Movie, the Clannad film, Ganba no Boken, Genji Monogatari Sennenki, Golgo 13: The Professional, Hajime Ningen Gyatoruz, Mighty Orbots, Nobody's Boy - Remi, The Rose of Versailles, The Snow Queen, Space Adventure Cobra, Takarajima (Treasure Island), episodes of Mighty Atom/Astro Boy, and several Lupin III television episodes and specials. He developed a unique style of direction that included dramatic freeze-frames, split-screens, and lighting effects in pivotal scenes.

He was born in Tokyo in 1943, and he debuted as a manga artist when he was still in high school. In 1963, he joined Mushi Productions, the studio founded by manga and anime pioneer Osamu Tezuka, and he made his directorial debut with A****a no Joe in 1970. Dezaki and Masao Maruyama co-founded the anime studio MADHOUSE in 1972, and Dezaki and frequent character design collaborator Akio Sugino then co-founded Studio Annapuru.
    Terrible news. I can't claim to have seen many of the anime on that list yet (apart from Rose of Versailles), but recognize that a lot of them are quite important/influential. RIP.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Yes, terribly unfortunate. I remember reading that he was diagnosed with cancer on Animeanime.jp sometime back. The industry has lost an influential and much respected figurehead.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Advanced Subsidiary)
    Agreed. Simply amazing. I haven't read the manga before though just saw the episode but I was blown away, it was just too much to take in. Hope i'm not exaggerating but I really felt it was top notch and can't wait to see how it unfolds.

Dat animation, dat art! :broken:
    I don't believe you're exaggerating, it was a good opening episode. :yes: Didn't beat around the bush at all and remained engaging throughout. If I had to be critical, the pacing was somewhat rushed given how quickly the events unfolded, but equally that was part of its appeal as well. As you say, Manglobe did an excellent job with the production. :smile:
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by New Rurouni Kenshin Anime Green-Lit)

The June issue of Shueisha's Jump Square magazine is announcing on Thursday that production on a new Rurouni Kenshin anime project has been green-lit. More information will be provided in future issues of Jump Square.

The magazine also noted that the Blu-ray Disc versions of the two Rurouni Kenshin original video anime (OVA) projects and the Rurouni Kenshin: Ishin Shishi no Chinkonka [Requiem] film will ship between August 24 and October 26. A compilation CD will ship on July 27. Rurouni Kenshin, Meiji Kenkaku Romantan Saisen, a new game for the Sony PSP system, already shipped last month.

Nobuhiro Watsuki's original 1994-1999 samurai manga in Shueisha's Weekly Shonen Jump inspired a television anime series that is celebrating its 15th anniversary this year. Viz Media published the manga in North America, and Media Blasters' AnimeWorks label released the television anime. ADV Films released the two OVA projects and the film under the licenser's prescribed title Samurai X.

Since he ended the Rurouni Kenshin manga, Watsuki drew Gun Blaze West and Buso Renkin. His current title, Embalming - The Another Tale of Frankenstein, has been running in Jump Square since the magazine's inaugural issue in 2007.
    All the more reason for the first series of Rurouni Kenshin to be the next 'long' series I pick up. :giggle:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Facticity)
    Well its okay, I'll find something else, you tried :console:
    Maybe if you ask Cara or Smellyfish

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryJellyfish)
    All the more reason for the first series of Rurouni Kenshin to be the next 'long' series I pick up. :giggle:
    Ah another shonen series that's been on my yellow list forever that Ive never got round to watching:erm:
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    I'm looking for a new series to take up (manga - preferably moderate length/ still running) but not sure what to go for. Preferably something not the typical action shonen but something different, maybe something that involves some though like Lain. Not anything like Chaos Head though which I was recommended but I got bored and even after gruelling through it was thoroughly disappointed :sigh: Any suggestions?
    (Original post by Juno)
    Maybe if you ask Cara or Smellyfish
    Just so it doesn't look like I'm ignoring your posts, I can't help with regards to manga, as I read far less than I watch anime. None of what I've read meets your criteria I'm afraid.

(Original post by vin)
    Ah another shonen series that's been on my yellow list forever that Ive never got round to watching:erm:
    It's only on my list because someone at Aberanime had it, and I figured that if I didn't grab it now then I might never get around to it. Looks and sounds pretty good though. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    I have to admit the length of these series put me off before, but then I did recently manage to get through the first haime no ippo pretty damn quick.

I think Im gonna wait till towards the end of the season to watch some of the new stuff, did that with a few of the last ones and managed to get through a load pretty quick. For some that arnt particularly serious I found it a better way of watching.:giggle:

Oh yeah how many eps is Beelzebub likely to be? its entertaining enough but it doesnt really seem to be going anywhere.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I'm looking for a new series to take up (manga - preferably moderate length/ still running) but not sure what to go for. Preferably something not the typical action shonen but something different, maybe something that involves some though like Lain. Not anything like Chaos Head though which I was recommended but I got bored and even after gruelling through it was thoroughly disappointed :sigh: Any suggestions?
    Missed this. Offhand, maybe Anne Freaks, Sky High, Liar Game or Homunculus?

ReputationRep:
    :blah:stuff
    not really read enough manga to be able to reccomend stuff but if you're still stuck have you tried browsing AP by tags that you're after?:dontknow: http://www.anime-planet.com/tags/psychological/manga
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    The anime adaptation of Rurouni Kenshin was enjoyable enough, although the episodic filler midway did hinder the pacing and momentum. The OVAs, particularly Reminiscence, were considerably better. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Bah, it appears that no-one is doing SD versions of the new series I want - Exorcist, Ano Hana and C:. Well, some are, but they're not out yet More waiting I suppose.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Coming to think of it, I really need to update my manga list. The last time I did it, A-P's database was a lot smaller. That, and I should really get back into reading again. It'll provide incentive to make use of my iPad which is currently serving as a fancy coffee table gadget.

ReputationRep:
    Ano Hana - Seems like a cute little anime.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LastLordofTime)
    Bah, it appears that no-one is doing SD versions of the new series I want - Exorcist, Ano Hana and C:. Well, some are, but they're not out yet More waiting I suppose.
    Taka.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Advanced Subsidiary)
    Taka.
    Waiting for UTW for it. Used them for Index and they were pretty good. They've already got the HD version out, just waiting for the SD one, which should come later today.

The others however I'd probably choose GG for, and they seem to be just putting out HD files, which are bigger than normal anyway :|

edit: Bah, UTW's XVID is going to be a while 'cause they're doing stuff to the typesetting, so it wont be out for a few days... I'll get Taka I suppose.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by AngryJellyfish)
    Just so it doesn't look like I'm ignoring your posts, I can't help with regards to manga, as I read far less than I watch anime. None of what I've read meets your criteria I'm afraid.

It's only on my list because someone at Aberanime had it, and I figured that if I didn't grab it now then I might never get around to it. Looks and sounds pretty good though. :yes:
    (Original post by Aiko)
    Missed this. Offhand, maybe Anne Freaks, Sky High, Liar Game or Homunculus?
    (Original post by vin)
    not really read enough manga to be able to reccomend stuff but if you're still stuck have you tried browsing AP by tags that you're after?:dontknow: http://www.anime-planet.com/tags/psychological/manga
    Ah okay, well thanks for the help. I am just looking for something really interesting that doesn't necessarily revolve around battles, and I guess this would be a lot easier with anime however I don't have enough time to start a new series :sad: So I thought a manga may be better.

And I would definitely recommend Rurouni Kenshin, I saw it quite a while back, it lives up to its reputation :yes:

(Original post by vin)
    Oh yeah how many eps is Beelzebub likely to be? its entertaining enough but it doesnt really seem to be going anywhere.
    I don't know really how long its going to be but the manga is pretty good and it has been getting great reviews so I would guess its likely to be long running. And don't worry it does appear that nothing will happen at the beginning, much like Katekyo Hitman Reborn!, nothing happens for a while but it picks up and there is definitely a story :yes: It, again like Katekyo, focuses on building a character set and sustaining with comedy for a while before the story kicks in.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Ah okay, well thanks for the help. I am just looking for something really interesting that doesn't necessarily revolve around battles, and I guess this would be a lot easier with anime however I don't have enough time to start a new series :sad: So I thought a manga may be better.
    All of those I've cited are worth reading, in my opinion. Assuming you haven't read Monster, that's another one you should definitely consider. :smile:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.