The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by porridgeandrhi
Is Anime-Planet like Myanimelist.net? I currently use MAL to log all my anime/manga, but if Anime-Planet's better then I'll switch over :biggrin:

I only like AP for the badges. :biggrin:

With MAL's homepage, you're more likely to come across older anime you never knew about and to keep up with news as well.

Reviews are better on MAL because people can vote on whether it was helpful or not.
On AP there are community reviews and usually some "Official Editorial Review" which is often a low score from "sothis' or "roriconfan' which just puts you off from watching an anime that could actually be pretty good :colonhash:

Edit: Forgot that MAL also lists the OP's and Ed's and all fansubbers too
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by nixonsjellybeans
I use MAL to interact and shiz.

Original post by Birdman1234567
Nevertheless I prefer MAl over Anime-Planet because I think it has a more active community, the main forums and anime specific /episode forums are excellent, individual user profiles are also presented a lot better there.

Yeah, I've heard the community over on MAL is more active. :beard: Forgot to add that to my list of disadvantages because I've only ever used the two sites to look anime or manga series up and (on A-P) keep a record of what I've watched and read. I've only ever really posted actively on here about anime, TBH. :p:
purplerainn
Edit: Forgot that MAL also lists the OP's and Ed's and all fansubbers too

This. Can't believe I forgot to mention that, since looking up fansub groups and the names of theme songs is one of the main reasons I look at MAL even though I don't have an account there. :facepalm:

Original post by purplerainn
With MAL's homepage, you're more likely to come across older anime you never knew about and to keep up with news as well.

The news I'd agree with, but personally I've found A-P's homepage's 'Random Anime' feature to be a good way of finding older/more obscure series too. :yes:

Reviews are better on MAL because people can vote on whether it was helpful or not.
On AP there are community reviews and usually some "Official Editorial Review" which is often a low score from "sothis' or "roriconfan' which just puts you off from watching an anime that could actually be pretty good :colonhash:

Also agree there for the most part - sothis does a great job of running the site, but I find her reviews pretty bad (in my opinion). Her recommendations leave much to be desired, too... I forget how many times I've read "if you liked X-series, you should like Y-series too, even though they both suck" (or words to that effect) in her 'recommendations'. Whenever I've written recommendations on there, I've always focused on the good points of both series, since surely that's more likely to inspire people to pick them up? :dontknow:

MAL often gets quite badly written reviews based on 1-3 episodes, but at least they're usually downvoted fast, and I like that there's no 'official' reviewers who supposedly know better than the rest of the community.

*remembers the good old days, when TSR Anime Society had an active review thread* :moon:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5003
Yeah, I also prefer MAL, though I do agree that the site really is dated. My brother has a hummingbird account and the site looks amazing. It's definitely taken features from Facebook and twitter so it's almost like an anime social networking site. I've signed up but because the site is still in beta mode they're gonna take a while to approve.

EDIT: hummingbird has gone live - finally have an account! :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by AngryJellyfish

The news I'd agree with, but personally I've found A-P's homepage's 'Random Anime' feature to be a good way of finding older/more obscure series too. :yes:

iirc, I think it was only three random anime on display though!
Whereas you could customize MAL's homepage to show 8 reviews and 8 series recommendations

Also agree there for the most part - sothis does a great job of running the site, but I find her reviews pretty bad (in my opinion). Her recommendations leave much to be desired, too... I forget how many times I've read "if you liked X-series, you should like Y-series too, even though they both suck" (or words to that effect) in her 'recommendations'. Whenever I've written recommendations on there, I've always focused on the good points of both series, since surely that's more likely to inspire people to pick them up? :dontknow:

I don't actually read reviews on MAL or AP much before deciding to watch a series anymore; I use this blog instead, it's better to stick to one person!
http://psgels.net/category/review-index/alphabetical/

*remembers the good old days, when TSR Anime Society had an active review thread* :moon:

That is a great thread! :biggrin: Shouldn't that be a sticky?
iirc, I think it was only three random anime on display though!
Whereas you could customize MAL's homepage to show 8 reviews and 8 series recommendations

Ah, didn't realise you could customise it. And yeah, A-P only shows one or two random series... doesn't stop me refreshing constantly for series ideas when I'm bored, though. :p:

I don't actually read reviews on MAL or AP much before deciding to watch a series anymore; I use this blog instead, it's better to stick to one person!
http://psgels.net/category/review-index/alphabetical/

Finding one person whose opinion you can trust is never a bad thing. :yes: Have to say I don't usually read reviews before watching series either, much prefer to go in without bias and form my own opinion. :smile:

That is a great thread! :biggrin: Shouldn't that be a sticky?

Sadly, it stopped being active long before the rise (and fall) of the Anime subforum. Not sure we could really justify having a third sticky in what is meant to be a general TV subforum, when there hasn't been a post in two years. :no: Would be good to see it active again, though. :beard:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by economist2
Are their any animes better than Naruto,Bleach,One Piece,Deathnote and Code Gueass???

Whilst what you regard as 'better' in one sense of another is subjective, the lists previously mentioned highlight a lot of strong anime. Personally, my favourite anime thus far is probably Isekai no Seikishi no Monogatari, of the Tenchi Muyo! anime.

Found it when randomly trolling around on Watchanimeon but really enjoyed it. Never really got into the other Tenchi Muyo! though so i might have to give them a go.
After all the talk about Anime-Planet last night, I woke up to find I had a new badge for being a member on the site for 6 YEARS. :zomg: That long already!? Great timing, anyway. :p:
Yeah, I've heard the community over on MAL is more active. :beard: Forgot to add that to my list of disadvantages because I've only ever used the two sites to look anime or manga series up and (on A-P) keep a record of what I've watched and read. I've only ever really posted actively on here about anime, TBH. :p:

Yeah the community on AP is non-existent really, although they do monthly marathons which I do :colone:
Original post by nixonsjellybeans
Yeah the community on AP is non-existent really, although they do monthly marathons which I do :colone:

I only post in A-P's forum when I want a manga title added to the database, or when I've found some error in an existing entry. :p:
Reply 5010
I just have a word document to keep track of all my anime. I tried to make a MAL list but it was taking so long to put them all in it that I gave up.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by ianh16
I just have a word document to keep track of all my anime. I tried to make a MAL list but it was taking so long to put them all in it that I gave up.

Aw yup, it also took me ages to log everything on my MAL list... Luckily I had an account set up a couple of years back, so there wasn't so much of a backlog.

...Until I decided to switch accounts and make a new one. It took me forever to add everything again :biggrin:
Original post by Aiko
An update from me as it's been a while.

As I may have mentioned before leaving, I'm currently in Japan visiting family and friends. I was originally planning to stay mostly in Tokyo and Kyoto, but a cousin of mine now lives in Osaka, which is fairly nearby to Kyoto, so I've been staying here for the last few days. She and her husband have been introducing/seemingly showing me off to their friends, which has been fun.

I've also paid a special visit to Osaka's answer to Akiba, Den-Den Town. The usual lurid stores pack filled with all things anime and manga are present here, but there was an interesting exhibition of sorts for Attack on Titan, which I've taken some pictures of...

Might be easier as I'm on a tablet to paste a link to Dropbox:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6yizht2gh4iqqwc/0PK2Wzmq9-

I also included a picture of a Steins Gate themed maid cafe, which was sadly closed when we got there.

Hope you don't mind me quoting you here, but this thread is the far more active of the two at the moment, and I thought there would be a few people here who'd be interested to see the photos. :yes: Attack on Titan cookies! :rofl: Sounds like a great place. I can't imagine what a Steins;Gate themed cafe would be like, shame it wasn't open. :frown:

Original post by Yuuki
Hey guys. I finally managed to finish FMA! And it was amazing!

I have been hearing good things about Attack on Titan though. Is it really as good as everyone is making it out to be?

That's definitely an ontopic post, and you'd be much more likely to get a quick answer here. :p:

I'd say Attack on Titan lives up to the hype... but the best way to find out would be to watch it yourself. :biggrin:
Everyone's favourite Attack on Titan scene so far? (Post in spoilers obviously). =P
finished penguindrum, only really liked the music and art; the story elements, symbolism and plot flew over my head :sad:
Reply 5015
finished penguindrum, only really liked the music and art; the story elements, symbolism and plot flew over my head :sad:

I looo~ve Penguindrum :biggrin:
I'm re-watching through it now with my friend. If you're really interested in it this blog - http://altairandvega.wordpress.com/category/colloquia/mawaru-penguindrum-colloquia/page/3/
has good episode-by-episode observations.

I have a cute big #2 plush, and three little penguin plushies. And a lovely Princess prize figure :smile:
Update on my recent manga purchases:

After School Nightmare: I'm now two volumes into this series, and it's definitely one of the best things I'm reading at the moment. The dream classes are surreal, creepy and often violent, while the character interactions outside of those 'lessons' are also good. I like series with protagonists who are different to the usual bland 'everyleads', and Mashiro is certainly that! My only worry about the series is the 9th volume... that's going to be expensive...

Knights of Sidonia: Everything about the setting should appeal to me, and the art is fantastic... but the pacing is a bit too quick for me. There doesn't seem to be much flow from one panel to another a lot of the time, and I've found myself losing track of what's going on once or twice as a result. :frown: I hear it's getting an anime adaptation at some point, so it'll be interesting to see if/how they address that. As for the manga, I'll stick with it for now.

Cross Game: I knew what to expect from this since I already watched the anime, years ago, but that hasn't made it any less fun (for the most part) to read. The first volume (or first part of the huge, three volume omnibus) was depressing... can't believe they managed to cram all that into one episode of the anime, but I'm glad they did, or else I might not have given a series about baseball a second glance. :smile:
The ****. Uchouten Kazoku episode 5 was really, really unsettling. I don't feel well X_X
Anybody here reads the manga called Nobelesse?
What's everyone's favourite scene from Attack on Titan?

Latest

Trending

Trending