Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Anime Society 5: Tentacles For All! watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scienceisgood)
    One of the longest dragging animes ever... (unnecessarily long...)
    How is that one of your favourites? :confused:
    It does drag on but it has a great plot and has a lot of suspense. One my least favourites on the list but still a good anime.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Apparently Anime-Planet will be adding a new feature soon which lets you mark how many times you've watched a series... I'll definitely use that as an excuse to rewatch some of my favourites, and if it adds to my 'life spent on anime' counter too, all the better.

I struggle to remember what shows I've rewatched, and how many times I've done so... a lot of the Ghibli films in particular I've watched more than once with friends, family, or simply because they've been on TV. Know I've seen Le Portrait de Petit Cossette, Casshern Sins, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Last Exile and Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann twice thanks to Aberanime, and maybe a few more. :beard:

ReputationRep:
    guys check out this drawing of a kimono girl

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcWMP4X3FoY

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryJellyfish)
    Apparently Anime-Planet will be adding a new feature soon which lets you mark how many times you've watched a series... I'll definitely use that as an excuse to rewatch some of my favourites, and if it adds to my 'life spent on anime' counter too, all the better.
    Is Anime-Planet like Myanimelist.net? I currently use MAL to log all my anime/manga, but if Anime-Planet's better then I'll switch over

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering but does visit a YouTuber's channel called Shadowlink4321?

IMHO, the best fandubbing guy on YouTube (for anime openings/endings), his are genuinely the only opening/ending dubs I listen to. =l
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by porridgeandrhi)
    Is Anime-Planet like Myanimelist.net? I currently use MAL to log all my anime/manga, but if Anime-Planet's better then I'll switch over
    It's a similar kind of site, yes. :yes: As to whether its better or not, its difficult to tell - I only started using A-P because I found it before MAL. :p:

A few advantages of A-P over MAL:

All the synopses are written especially for the site, as opposed to copied and pasted from other sources as those on MAL often are (I made a few myself :proud:)
    The recommendations for similar series are usually better than those made on MAL, as they're moderated, and people aren't allowed to just make short, bullet point lists of the similarities.
    A-P has screenshots, so you can check out a series' art style.
    It has a few features that MAL doesn't have - favourite character lists, 'achievement badges' etc, which you don't have to use, but personally I find them fun.
    I also prefer the layout of the site over MAL, but that's just down to taste. :p:

Disadvantages:

Because all the synopses are custom written, some series don't have synopses yet, or aren't on the database at all. MAL usually has some sort of info, even if its really basic. A-P's manga database in particular is missing a lot of series/synopses, but to be fair they only started listing manga on the site a few years ago, so they've had some catching up to do.
    A-P doesn't list hentai, while MAL does... which could also be an advantage to some people, I suppose. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Depends what you use it for and who you ask really. I use AP as a wiki for all anime/manga and as my primary log for anime. I use MAL to interact and shiz.

ReputationRep:
    MAL could do with an image overhaul tbh, even though I'm an avid user of the site I'm not a big fan of the layout - a bit dull with no decorations. Nevertheless I prefer MAl over Anime-Planet because I think it has a more active community, the main forums and anime specific /episode forums are excellent, individual user profiles are also presented a lot better there. To add to that, I also think that the anime profiles are presented better too, with an excellent selection and placement of statistics and tags.

ReputationRep:
    I only like AP for the badges.

With MAL's homepage, you're more likely to come across older anime you never knew about and to keep up with news as well.

Reviews are better on MAL because people can vote on whether it was helpful or not.
    On AP there are community reviews and usually some "Official Editorial Review" which is often a low score from "sothis' or "roriconfan' which just puts you off from watching an anime that could actually be pretty good

Edit: Forgot that MAL also lists the OP's and Ed's and all fansubbers too
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by nixonsjellybeans)
    I use MAL to interact and shiz.
    (Original post by Birdman1234567)
    Nevertheless I prefer MAl over Anime-Planet because I think it has a more active community, the main forums and anime specific /episode forums are excellent, individual user profiles are also presented a lot better there.
    Yeah, I've heard the community over on MAL is more active. :beard: Forgot to add that to my list of disadvantages because I've only ever used the two sites to look anime or manga series up and (on A-P) keep a record of what I've watched and read. I've only ever really posted actively on here about anime, TBH. :p:
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by purplerainn)
    Edit: Forgot that MAL also lists the OP's and Ed's and all fansubbers too
    This. Can't believe I forgot to mention that, since looking up fansub groups and the names of theme songs is one of the main reasons I look at MAL even though I don't have an account there. :facepalm:

With MAL's homepage, you're more likely to come across older anime you never knew about and to keep up with news as well.
    The news I'd agree with, but personally I've found A-P's homepage's 'Random Anime' feature to be a good way of finding older/more obscure series too. :yes:

Reviews are better on MAL because people can vote on whether it was helpful or not.
    On AP there are community reviews and usually some "Official Editorial Review" which is often a low score from "sothis' or "roriconfan' which just puts you off from watching an anime that could actually be pretty good
    Also agree there for the most part - sothis does a great job of running the site, but I find her reviews pretty bad (in my opinion). Her recommendations leave much to be desired, too... I forget how many times I've read "if you liked X-series, you should like Y-series too, even though they both suck" (or words to that effect) in her 'recommendations'. Whenever I've written recommendations on there, I've always focused on the good points of both series, since surely that's more likely to inspire people to pick them up? :dontknow:

MAL often gets quite badly written reviews based on 1-3 episodes, but at least they're usually downvoted fast, and I like that there's no 'official' reviewers who supposedly know better than the rest of the community.

*remembers the good old days, when TSR Anime Society had an active review thread* :moon:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I also prefer MAL, though I do agree that the site really is dated. My brother has a hummingbird account and the site looks amazing. It's definitely taken features from Facebook and twitter so it's almost like an anime social networking site. I've signed up but because the site is still in beta mode they're gonna take a while to approve.

EDIT: hummingbird has gone live - finally have an account!

ReputationRep:
    The news I'd agree with, but personally I've found A-P's homepage's 'Random Anime' feature to be a good way of finding older/more obscure series too. :yes:
    iirc, I think it was only three random anime on display though!
    Whereas you could customize MAL's homepage to show 8 reviews and 8 series recommendations

Also agree there for the most part - sothis does a great job of running the site, but I find her reviews pretty bad (in my opinion). Her recommendations leave much to be desired, too... I forget how many times I've read "if you liked X-series, you should like Y-series too, even though they both suck" (or words to that effect) in her 'recommendations'. Whenever I've written recommendations on there, I've always focused on the good points of both series, since surely that's more likely to inspire people to pick them up? :dontknow:
    I don't actually read reviews on MAL or AP much before deciding to watch a series anymore; I use this blog instead, it's better to stick to one person!
    http://psgels.net/category/review-index/alphabetical/

*remembers the good old days, when TSR Anime Society had an active review thread* :moon:
    That is a great thread! Shouldn't that be a sticky?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    iirc, I think it was only three random anime on display though!
    Whereas you could customize MAL's homepage to show 8 reviews and 8 series recommendations
    Ah, didn't realise you could customise it. And yeah, A-P only shows one or two random series... doesn't stop me refreshing constantly for series ideas when I'm bored, though. :p:

I don't actually read reviews on MAL or AP much before deciding to watch a series anymore; I use this blog instead, it's better to stick to one person!
    http://psgels.net/category/review-index/alphabetical/
    Finding one person whose opinion you can trust is never a bad thing. :yes: Have to say I don't usually read reviews before watching series either, much prefer to go in without bias and form my own opinion.

That is a great thread! Shouldn't that be a sticky?
    Sadly, it stopped being active long before the rise (and fall) of the Anime subforum. Not sure we could really justify having a third sticky in what is meant to be a general TV subforum, when there hasn't been a post in two years. :no: Would be good to see it active again, though. :beard:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by economist2)
    Are their any animes better than Naruto,Bleach,One Piece,Deathnote and Code Gueass???
    Whilst what you regard as 'better' in one sense of another is subjective, the lists previously mentioned highlight a lot of strong anime. Personally, my favourite anime thus far is probably Isekai no Seikishi no Monogatari, of the Tenchi Muyo! anime.

Found it when randomly trolling around on Watchanimeon but really enjoyed it. Never really got into the other Tenchi Muyo! though so i might have to give them a go.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    After all the talk about Anime-Planet last night, I woke up to find I had a new badge for being a member on the site for 6 YEARS. :zomg: That long already!? Great timing, anyway. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I've heard the community over on MAL is more active. :beard: Forgot to add that to my list of disadvantages because I've only ever used the two sites to look anime or manga series up and (on A-P) keep a record of what I've watched and read. I've only ever really posted actively on here about anime, TBH. :p:
    Yeah the community on AP is non-existent really, although they do monthly marathons which I do
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by nixonsjellybeans)
    Yeah the community on AP is non-existent really, although they do monthly marathons which I do
    I only post in A-P's forum when I want a manga title added to the database, or when I've found some error in an existing entry. :p:

ReputationRep:
    I just have a word document to keep track of all my anime. I tried to make a MAL list but it was taking so long to put them all in it that I gave up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ianh16)
    I just have a word document to keep track of all my anime. I tried to make a MAL list but it was taking so long to put them all in it that I gave up.
    Aw yup, it also took me ages to log everything on my MAL list... Luckily I had an account set up a couple of years back, so there wasn't so much of a backlog.

...Until I decided to switch accounts and make a new one. It took me forever to add everything again

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.