Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Anime Society 5: Tentacles For All! watch

• Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Aiko)
    An update from me as it's been a while.

As I may have mentioned before leaving, I'm currently in Japan visiting family and friends. I was originally planning to stay mostly in Tokyo and Kyoto, but a cousin of mine now lives in Osaka, which is fairly nearby to Kyoto, so I've been staying here for the last few days. She and her husband have been introducing/seemingly showing me off to their friends, which has been fun.

I've also paid a special visit to Osaka's answer to Akiba, Den-Den Town. The usual lurid stores pack filled with all things anime and manga are present here, but there was an interesting exhibition of sorts for Attack on Titan, which I've taken some pictures of...

Might be easier as I'm on a tablet to paste a link to Dropbox:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6yizht2gh4iqqwc/0PK2Wzmq9-

I also included a picture of a Steins Gate themed maid cafe, which was sadly closed when we got there.
    Hope you don't mind me quoting you here, but this thread is the far more active of the two at the moment, and I thought there would be a few people here who'd be interested to see the photos. :yes: Attack on Titan cookies! :rofl: Sounds like a great place. I can't imagine what a Steins;Gate themed cafe would be like, shame it wasn't open.

(Original post by Yuuki)
    Hey guys. I finally managed to finish FMA! And it was amazing!

I have been hearing good things about Attack on Titan though. Is it really as good as everyone is making it out to be?
    That's definitely an ontopic post, and you'd be much more likely to get a quick answer here. :p:

I'd say Attack on Titan lives up to the hype... but the best way to find out would be to watch it yourself.

ReputationRep:
    Everyone's favourite Attack on Titan scene so far? (Post in spoilers obviously). =P

ReputationRep:
    finished penguindrum, only really liked the music and art; the story elements, symbolism and plot flew over my head :sad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by purplerainn)
    finished penguindrum, only really liked the music and art; the story elements, symbolism and plot flew over my head :sad:
    I looo~ve Penguindrum
    I'm re-watching through it now with my friend. If you're really interested in it this blog - http://altairandvega.wordpress.com/c...loquia/page/3/
    has good episode-by-episode observations.

I have a cute big #2 plush, and three little penguin plushies. And a lovely Princess prize figure
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Update on my recent manga purchases:

After School Nightmare: I'm now two volumes into this series, and it's definitely one of the best things I'm reading at the moment. The dream classes are surreal, creepy and often violent, while the character interactions outside of those 'lessons' are also good. I like series with protagonists who are different to the usual bland 'everyleads', and Mashiro is certainly that! My only worry about the series is the 9th volume... that's going to be expensive...

Knights of Sidonia: Everything about the setting should appeal to me, and the art is fantastic... but the pacing is a bit too quick for me. There doesn't seem to be much flow from one panel to another a lot of the time, and I've found myself losing track of what's going on once or twice as a result. I hear it's getting an anime adaptation at some point, so it'll be interesting to see if/how they address that. As for the manga, I'll stick with it for now.

Cross Game: I knew what to expect from this since I already watched the anime, years ago, but that hasn't made it any less fun (for the most part) to read. The first volume (or first part of the huge, three volume omnibus) was depressing... can't believe they managed to cram all that into one episode of the anime, but I'm glad they did, or else I might not have given a series about baseball a second glance.

ReputationRep:
    The ****. Uchouten Kazoku episode 5 was really, really unsettling. I don't feel well X_X

ReputationRep:
    Anybody here reads the manga called Nobelesse?

ReputationRep:
    What's everyone's favourite scene from Attack on Titan?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Scienceisgood)
    Didn't intentionally ignore your earlier post, I'm just not sure I have a particular favorite scene. :dontknow: I guess if I had to choose, anything involving the colossal titan, and the majority of episode 17. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Everyone's favourite Attack on Titan scene so far? (Post in spoilers obviously). =P
    Manga needs to be made a weekly! :fuhrer:
    Last month's chapter was just talk :yawn:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    When Hans thought that he was a boss, then ran away lol. That was hilarious.

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Armin's epic speech in episode 10:

Got chills man :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryJellyfish)

I'd say Attack on Titan lives up to the hype... but the best way to find out would be to watch it yourself.
    Oops! I forgot about the on topic thread. I decided to watch it after my post and I do like it so far. It's pretty amazing

I don't have a particular scene in mind but Mikasa has amazing scenes.

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    You *******s... will all FALL TO CAPTAIN LEVI!

*SLASH*

Levi <3<3<3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F_shakeey)
    Manga needs to be made a weekly! :fuhrer:
    Last month's chapter was just talk :yawn:
    I don't read the manga, but when I heard the manga is updated monthly I was quite worried about the pacing of the show. The pace has noticeably dropped in recent episodes but do you think there is enough material to tide them to the end of this season? It would be a shame if the show's strong start was ruined by something like not enough material, so that they drag each episode out Naruto style, which I feel like it's about to be getting to that point -.-

Oh and btw, I've finally caught up with Kuroko no Basket manga and now I am like a thousand times more pumped for season 2 XD I have to say though, the plays are getting more and more ridiculous. Thank god the story is interesting enough to distract me from those super powered moves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Naami)
    I don't read the manga, but when I heard the manga is updated monthly I was quite worried about the pacing of the show. The pace has noticeably dropped in recent episodes but do you think there is enough material to tide them to the end of this season? It would be a shame if the show's strong start was ruined by something like not enough material, so that they drag each episode out Naruto style, which I feel like it's about to be getting to that point -.-

Oh and btw, I've finally caught up with Kuroko no Basket manga and now I am like a thousand times more pumped for season 2 XD I have to say though, the plays are getting more and more ridiculous. Thank god the story is interesting enough to distract me from those super powered moves.
    Yeah I've told my friends that too they'll have to make it yearly seasons unless Hajime Isayama does something about it and moves to a weekly. I havent seen the anime yet, what part are they up to? Naruto and its ninja animals filler :facepalm: thats why I think in 20 years time Naruto will just be seen as a decent anime but not on FMA or Code Geass level.

The current arc needs to hurry and end thats for sure :yep: but I cant wait to see 'the zone' in the anime and all the GoM meet. Yeah Akashi has the most ridiculous power I've ever seen but the way he switched in the past arc was just :zomg: I'm just waiting to see what happens to Kuroko's mate :iiam:

ReputationRep:
    I've never actually considered watching Attack on Titan until this thread... Is it worth a try? The synopsis and genres kinda put me off (I usually dislike super power/sci-fi anime) - but everyone seems to be giving it really good reviews. I love addictive/unique anime, so I might overcome my genre barrier and try it out?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by porridgeandrhi)
    I've never actually considered watching Attack on Titan until this thread... Is it worth a try? The synopsis and genres kinda put me off (I usually dislike super power/sci-fi anime) - but everyone seems to be giving it really good reviews. I love addictive/unique anime, so I might overcome my genre barrier and try it out?
    I won't say anything because I have been told my reviews tend to be too bias but, I usually give an anime 3-4 episodes (pending how long it is) to let me see if it is my thing, typically if the anime is longer than 50ish episodes, I will give it 10 episodes though given it may be a slow start. =l

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F_shakeey)
    Yeah I've told my friends that too they'll have to make it yearly seasons unless Hajime Isayama does something about it and moves to a weekly. I havent seen the anime yet, what part are they up to? Naruto and its ninja animals filler :facepalm: thats why I think in 20 years time Naruto will just be seen as a decent anime but not on FMA or Code Geass level.

The current arc needs to hurry and end thats for sure :yep: but I cant wait to see 'the zone' in the anime and all the GoM meet. Yeah Akashi has the most ridiculous power I've ever seen but the way he switched in the past arc was just :zomg: I'm just waiting to see what happens to Kuroko's mate :iiam:
    :gasp: You haven't been watching the anime?! Why on earth not? The animation is gorgeous and the music is epic, some of the best OST's I've heard in a while! I'm on episode 16 atm, but I'm putting it on hold to wait for more episodes and just marathon it later but so far
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Eren has joined the Survey Corps and they plan to take back Wall Maria using his Titan powers. They caught 2 titans alive in the Battle of Trost and were doing experiments on them, but it seems someone who had access to 3D Manoeuvre Gear had killed them both, meaning it's one of them.

Yeah the current arc has been dragging on for a while, but I'm glad to know that Akashi wasn't a natural born prick -- I hope they expand on the 2 personality thing a bit more.

(Original post by porridgeandrhi)
    Attack on Titan definitely is addictive! It's probably heading to be the show of the year (depending on what fall/winter seasons like) -- try out the first episode and see how you like it It has a great story, animation, music -- simply gripping!

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone!

I really love Studio Ghibli films (who would have guessed ), but I haven't moved onto any other animes as yet, so I was hoping you guys could suggest some good starting points

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.