Turn on thread page Beta

The Anime Society 5: Tentacles For All! watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SyedaK)
    Well at least you can watch subbed, with me, my eyes are either on the words or the action. Speaking of fairytail, When will FUNimation dub season 2?
    Already done it, lol. =P

I downloaded the first half of the series and was watching on TV only 1.5 hours ago. =D
    Fairy Tail, I would rate the dubbing of to be about 7/10 myself.

ReputationRep:
    If you follow this link, you will find the first 72 episodes of Funimation's dub. =)

ReputationRep:
    However, I did laugh out loud seriously when I was watching one of the episodes where Natsu faces against Cobra and thinks that dirty joke only for Cobra to burst out laughing and Happy being absolutely puzzled as to what's so funny only for Natsu to say "I'll tell you when your older". XD

EDIT:
    Although, while I do not support piracy, this is the only way I can go around getting anime without my parents knowing I am watching it given they view anything not live action as being childish (even though my mother likes Shrek and Ice Age) and while not anime, is a bit hypocritical really, no?
    Though, I do fully intend on buying the anime when/if I get into uni (basically when I move out) and have the funds. =l

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scienceisgood)
    If you follow this link, you will find the first 72 episodes of Funimation's dub. =)
    You don't know how much i'm thanking you now.. are there any other animes similar to Fairy Tail

ReputationRep:
    You don't know how much i'm thanking you now.. are there any other animes similar to Fairy Tail
    Ravemaster's a bit of a shot in the dark (Hiro Mashima's very first manga work) and Fairy Tail is basically a drastically improved version of it, I personally couldn't get past the first few episodes, maybe you will have more luck?

Some of my favourite animes;

Blue Exorcist - Dub is good but I prefer sub
    Heaven's Lost Property (Harem comedy gold)
    Sword Art Online (don't be deceived by the pink monster bosses) - only first 3 eps have been dubbed, however, I prefer sub in this case
    My Bride Is A Mermaid is funny

Just a few, note, all but one have been dubbed (Sword Art Online's dubs are being released now).

EDIT:
    Anime News Network appears to be down atm...

ReputationRep:
    Ravemaster's a bit of a shot in the dark (Hiro Mashima's very first manga work) and Fairy Tail is basically a drastically improved version of it, I personally couldn't get past the first few episodes, maybe you will have more luck?

Some of my favourite animes;

Blue Exorcist - Dub is good but I prefer sub
    Heaven's Lost Property (Harem comedy gold)
    Sword Art Online (don't be deceived by the pink monster bosses) - only first 3 eps have been dubbed, however, I prefer sub in this case
    My Bride Is A Mermaid is funny

Just a few, note, all but one have been dubbed (Sword Art Online's dubs are being released now).

Thanks so much, i'll be sure to watch them after I'm done with Naruto and Fairy Tail. Speaking of Naruto - did you watch NigaHiga's fake movie trailer for it. It's epic!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks so much, i'll be sure to watch them after I'm done with Naruto and Fairy Tail. Speaking of Naruto - did you watch NigaHiga's fake movie trailer for it. It's epic!
    I think I watched the first episode of Naruto and wasn't that impressed (although, I kinda broke my own rule by watching only the first episode).
    Only big anime I watch (150+ eps) is Fairy Tail and can't wait for it's revival! XD

ReputationRep:
    I think I watched the first episode of Naruto and wasn't that impressed (although, I kinda broke my own rule by watching only the first episode).
    Only big anime I watch (150+ eps) is Fairy Tail and can't wait for it's revival! XD
    How about Dragonball?
    I tried watching One Peice ( Half of an episode) and didnt like it much

ReputationRep:
    How about Dragonball?
    I tried watching One Peice ( Half of an episode) and didnt like it much
    Who doesn't watch the dragonball series, lol. =P
    One Piece, I gave it 10 episodes (which I think is more than generous) about a year ago and I think I waisted some part of my life I am never going to get back...

ReputationRep:
    One Piece, I gave it 10 episodes (which I think is more than generous) about a year ago and I think I waisted some part of my life I am never going to get back...
    HAHAHA! I'm planning to watch Bleach as well. Any idea on how good it is?
    Oh, and I'm excited for Pokemon X and Y too

ReputationRep:
    HAHAHA! I'm planning to watch Bleach as well. Any idea on how good it is?
    Oh, and I'm excited for Pokemon X and Y too
    Bleach, I hear is good but I doubt I will get into it given I have been told it is full of fillers and ends suddenly. =l

Pokemon = FORBIDDEN TERRITORY for me. Sorry but I stopped watching that ages ago...
    I do watch Yugioh and Digimon though from time to time. =P

I always wanted when I was younger a digimon called Dorumon. XD

ReputationRep:
    Bleach, I hear is good but I doubt I will get into it given I have been told it is full of fillers and ends suddenly. =l

Pokemon = FORBIDDEN TERRITORY for me. Sorry but I stopped watching that ages ago...
    I do watch Yugioh and Digimon though from time to time. =P

I always wanted when I was younger a digimon called Dorumon. XD
    No no I don't watch pokemon - the anime is too babyish, however the games are just epic.
    I've never watched Digimon, I grew up with Pokemon, Yu gi Oh, TMNT

ReputationRep:
    I find Japan a fascinating country and culture, and am interested in watching some anime films. I watched Spirited Away last night and thought it was brilliant, but rather weird! Apart from that, the only anime I've ever watched were TV series like Pokemon and Digimon when I was younger.

Can anybody recommend me some really good anime films to watch?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Super Cicero)
    I find Japan a fascinating country and culture, and am interested in watching some anime films. I watched Spirited Away last night and thought it was brilliant, but rather weird! Apart from that, the only anime I've ever watched were TV series like Pokemon and Digimon when I was younger.

Some recommendations to keep you busy for a while:

Summer Wars
    Clanned (watch anime for it to make sense) - funny film though
    Grave Of The Fireflies
    Princess Mononoke (I hear this is good but haven't seen it myself)
    The Girl who leapt through time
    5 cm per second
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by AngryJellyfish)
    That's pretty awesome, guess you'd need something like that to make the most of your time at such a huge event, and find the stalls you want easier. :yes:

I should probably make more of an effort to check out other UK conventions and expos... I've still only been to the small one in Telford.
    Yeah, it'll prove pretty useful for sure.

Regarding conventions/expos, I've hardly been to any myself, just this and New York Comic Con. As someone who doesn't typically buy much anime, manga and related merchandise, nor do I cosplay, it's more for the experience and a day out.

Thanks Aiko. =)
    I was hoping that was like maybe a confirmation of Fairy Tail returning. =(

Tell me, did you learn Japanese or are you native Japanese?
    Or did you cheat and use translator? :pierre:
    Aha, sadly not.

I'm native Japanese.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I know one such person who used to post here that made the same mistake with One Piece. I implore you to give it another ago. It only starts to pick up after 30 to 40 episodes (not that I minded the earlier ones myself, but that's partly because I read the manga). There's a reason why it's the best selling manga of all time, and the anime adaptation is consistently at the top of television ratings in Japan.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Super Cicero)

Films made by Studio Ghilbi, who made Spirited Away, are usually at least reliably good, and they've been churning them out for a while now. In the films Scienceisgood suggests, Princess Mononoke (1997) and Grave of the Fireflies (1988) are both Ghibli titles (and both good). A few other Ghibli films which I personally really dig are Porco Rosso (1992), an elegaic story about a WW1 veteran pilot who has been transformed into a pig; Whisper of the Heart (1995), a romance which is (barring a couple of imagined sequences) less fantastical than a lot of their stuff; and Castle in the Sky (1986), their first proper film, a very fantastical adventure story.

Summer Wars (2009) and The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (2006) are both good fun, and both were directed by Mamoru Hosoda. He had another film, Wolf Children, come out last year, and that's worth a watch too if you can find a copy (I don't think it's out here yet). Be warned: it's dangerously heartwarming.

Turning to rather darker fare, Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade (1998) is a particularly fine psychological thriller set in an alternative 1950s Japan which is ruled by Germany. It's just a little like The Third Man, if you've ever seen that. Jin-Roh was written by Mamoru Oshii, who directed, among other things, Ghost in the Shell (there're a bunch of things with that title, but I'm talking about the 1995 film); Ghost in the Shell is a cyberpunk action flick, but also the surprisingly thoughtful story of a woman worried about her selfhood.

Satoshi Kon, a director who sadly died quite recently, did a nice line in visionary and unsettling cinema. His directorial debut was the intense, graphic thriller Perfect Blue (1997) and I think all his films are worth watching. His last, Paprika (2006), is a startling story about dream-diving. Tokyo Godfathers (2003) is a happy, heartwarming Christmas film and a bit of a departure from the tone of most of his other work.

Akira, from 1988, is historically significant as the film which turned a lot of older international fans onto anime, but it's also worth watching as a fun superpowers-gone-wrong story. It's a relic of Japan's 80s economic bubble and has particularly fine animation. I'm told its dystopian future setting ruled by an oligarchy and riddled with student dissent and mad cults is something of a reflection on different bits of Japan's postwar history.

One final suggestion: Redline, an anime film from 2009, probably isn't sociologically very interesting if you're fascinated by Japan, but it is extremely good fun if at any point you feel you want a super, super, super over-the-top racing film.

I hope some of these are helpful suggestions.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the dub for me. I would say 70% of what I watch is dubbed (however, there are some animes I find which are far better subbed (actually like 95% of them), however, since I started Fairy Tail dubbed I can't really watch it subbed, I do watch it though in sub format too).

Basically, I am not one of these "zomg, dubbed anime, MY EARS BLEED" kinda crap, like I said, it depends, an example where I feel the VA for dubbed are COMPLETELY wrong are the following couple;

Deadman Wonderland
    Sword Art Online
    Is this a zombie?

Still, that's just me. =l

EDIT:
    Although, I do have to admit, female VA tend to be better than males.
    Yeah I'm the same. The only times I will watch subbed is when I am watching currently airing anime/recent anime or if the anime has never been licensed. However due the amount of new/unlicensed anime I've watched I've probably seen more subbed than dub The only time I really couldn't stand the dub so much that I will always watched the subbed version would be Clannad. Like you said, it depends on the anime whether or not the dub or sub is better. FMA, Ouran, Hikaru no Go and Baccano's dub will always be superior for me whereas the Japanese dub for Durarara, Clannad and Vampire Knight will always be my preferred version to the English version.

ReputationRep:
    Guys, who do you think would win in a fight;

Fairy Tail
    Or Hogwarts?

ReputationRep:
    Well at least you can watch subbed, with me, my eyes are either on the words or the action. Speaking of fairytail, When will FUNimation dub season 2?
    I have just found (about 5 mins ago in fact) that yesterday, Funimation announced they have obtained the rights to dub episodes 73-175 of Fairy Tail plus the movie.
    Although, no release dates yet.

EDIT:
    Although, I knew they had the rights to dub the movie months back. =l

Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.