Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Anime Society 5: Tentacles For All! watch

Announcements
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Aiko)
    All of those I've cited are worth reading, in my opinion. Assuming you haven't read Monster, that's another one you should definitely consider. :smile:
    Thanks, I'll definitely check Monster and those other ones out
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Facticity)
    Thanks, I'll definitely check Monster and those other ones out
    No worries. Likewise, is there anything you would recommend that I should read? My list is a bit outdated, but here you go:

http://www.anime-planet.com/users/Matisse/manga

As mentioned, I've been on a hiatus of sorts from manga in the past few years, so anything that's been released recently would be an added plus. :smile:

ReputationRep:
    Only one ep of Hajime no Ippo new challenger left this series has been brilliant :s: Takamura's world championship fight was utterly amazing :zomg: and the animation :drool: Oh man and the humour straight after :rofl: This series is great.:cry2:

Ippo really hasnt got much focus this time.:s:

EDIT: finished it:hmpf:

When the hell is the next series coming!?:mad:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    OK, wtf is shonen anyway
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by vin)
    [COLOR="Red"]When the hell is the next series coming!?[/COLOR]:mad:
    I've been waiting like 2 years for a new series, apparently its in production however nothing definitive has been confirmed, its been on 'planning' status for ages now so probably not any time soon :no:

ReputationRep:
    I figure this would be a good time to resume yu yu hakusho
    (Original post by Juno)
    OK, wtf is shonen anyway
    The word shonen means boy.:yes: But shonen-ai means boy love.:tongue:

I've been waiting like 2 years for a new series, apparently its in production however nothing definitive has been confirmed, its been on 'planning' status for ages now so probably not any time soon :no:
    aww this does not please me
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by vin)
    aww this does not please me
    On the last day of recording for New Challenger, Takamura-sensei's voice actor said there was definitely going to be a new series coming out. How legitimate a promise this is or how the development is going is still unknown, so many Ippo fans are left feeling the same as you :moon:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by vin)
    The word shonen means boy.:yes: But shonen-ai means boy love.:tongue:
    So the n00b wants manga with no boys? :confused:

Does School Days have a manga? That's all boobs and bottoms and no boys :yucky:

ReputationRep:
    Fairy Tail chapter 231
    Spoiler:
    Show

At the end is the gravestone...opening too? :hmmmm:

We'll find out the first master isn't actually dead. He's actually a vampire and he was sleeping :beard:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    I think he meant he wasnt after boy love:indiff: not a manga with no boys entirely
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by vin)
    I think he meant he wasnt after boy love:indiff: not a manga with no boys entirely
    No, the n00b said no shonen. That means boys.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    No, the n00b said no shonen. That means boys.
    oh very well, my mistake then:dontknow:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Juno)
    n00b I mean I, wasn't after no boys, I said no shonen-ai, no boy-love, I wanted something not shonen as in the genre of shonen being action adventure filled

And the name isn't n00b, its Facticity :huff:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by vin)
    oh very well, my mistake then:dontknow:
    So digimons it is then. coz Pokemons has that boy poketrainer so that's out. I think digimons is just monsters.

Or maybe fairy anime that AJ likes :dontknow:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Yeah, that's what I said. n00b, see
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    n00b I mean I, wasn't after no boys, I said no shonen-ai, no boy-love, I wanted something not shonen as in the genre of shonen being action adventure filled

Um, this tantalising conversation aside, I'm guessing you have nothing to recommend then? :tongue:

I managed to catch Ao no Exorcist, which is your classic shounen down to a tee. The protagonist is refreshing and the animation by A-1 is expectedly good. I'm definitely picking this one up. :smile:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Aiko)
    Um, this tantalising conversation aside, I'm guessing you have nothing to recommend then? :tongue:

I managed to catch Ao no Exorcist, which is your classic shounen down to a tee. The protagonist is refreshing and the animation by A-1 is expectedly good. I'm definitely picking this one up. :smile:
    Oh gosh, really sorry, I was doing a comparison between my own list of manga (not on AP) and yours to see what I would recommend however got a bit side tracked with the silly conversation above and forgot, sorry!

Spoiler:
    Show
    Errm looking at the list anyway, as I predicted, you've read most of what I have and far more

Resume/Finish

I see you've stalled the Katekyoushi Hitman series in your anime list, I would say you should go for the manga, I find the art to be very crisp and clean and I'm always impressed with the artist. Not just the art, the story and action is quite good also and I found the manga to be better for the action than the anime though obviously the humour can be fleshed out a lot better in the anime.

I'd say go for the Beelzebub manga as well, in my opinion, it is better than the anime. It is very funny, and despite (much like Katekyo) taking a while to kick in, it has a good story behind it.

I'd definitely say you should finish off FullMetal Alchemist. I quite liked the ending, i'm not sure if you dropped it for pacing problems or just the story, but if its the former then you should have no problems towards the last 1/3 of it.

I would recommend the Elfen Lied manga, it has a different end to the anime seeing as the anime aired before the novel finished, so if you liked elfen lied anime (leaving aside the excessive nudity) I would say try that.

I'd recommend you resume Liar Game, it gets really interesting as it proceeds.

Try out

I would say to read Psyren, a shonen but a very different type which I quite enjoyed but which also sadly ended at 145 chapters.

I would recommend Code Breaker also quite, an odd but interesting series and typical shonen style.

If you want something more light and perhaps comedy/slice/romance Dengeki Daisy or for a more serious romance/drama/action, I"s.

I saw you've read GTO but you haven't read the following GTO: Shonan 14 Days, I would highly recommend that, I enjoyed the original quite a lot and this one seems to be very good.

I saw you have read Doubt, if you liked that, then I would strongly recommend on the sequel called Judge. It only just started last year so only has about 10 chapters but I think its pretty good - Its worth checking out. The chapters are long as well being a monthly release.

There are some older series I could recommend but you said you'd prefer something newer - but if you don't mind something old, then something like Angel Densetsu would be good, the art is initially off-putting however it is rife with comedy and that keeps it going.

I'd highly recommend Mirai Niki which is less shonen and more supernatural/philosophical, a lot of thinking occurs But nonetheless I found it extremely interesting.

If you liked Death Note, then I would definitely say go for MPD Psycho, similar in the way it works and was just as popular when Death Note was being released. This even spawned a Live Action (much like death note).

I'd highly recommend all of these series. They're quite varied so you should find at least one, if not a few, which you like

That was tough, you've read a lot of manga but this should suffice Sorry again for the delay!
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Oh gosh, really sorry, I was doing a comparison between my own list of manga (not on AP) and yours to see what I would recommend however got a bit side tracked with the silly conversation above and forgot, sorry!
    No need to apologise, I was merely curious as to why you hadn't responded, and now I'm definitely glad you did. I'm currently at work, so I'm unable to respond properly, but for the mean time, I've sent some credits your way for your time. :smile:

ReputationRep:
    watching dead man wonderland, my reaction so far:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Aiko)
    No need to apologise, I was merely curious as to why you hadn't responded, and now I'm definitely glad you did. I'm currently at work, so I'm unable to respond properly, but for the mean time, I've sent some credits your way for your time. :smile:
    Ah okay, well I didn't want to seem like I was ignoring you but its no problem, and thanks for the credits! :awesome:

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.