Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    I was reading School Rumble, until Kodansha dropped it. The anime is on my hard drive... and has been for years, as with so many other series. :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aiko)

Hi Euge, it's been such a long time. I've missed our conversations. Glad you're keeping well. As you're not coming onto Skype, I'll make a point of logging into MSN. :hugs:

As for anime, I'm still keeping up with the current season, although my viewing is mostly reserved for the weekend. And I have read School Rumble. It was such a long time ago as I read it during its serialisation in WSJ. As I watched the anime adaptation a few years later when it aired, I didn't really think to compare it. Both were fun to read/watch, but I can't say I was a big fan of the series. :nah:
    hey AIko :hugs: yeah its been ages, but ive been using skype the last couple of months, thought you were like always busy :puppyeyes:

it was my 2nd ever series i watched hence why i enjoy it so much even when rewatching as it gives me a nostalgia kick :yep: do you remember if the anime follows the manga mostly?

(Original post by AngryJellyfish)
    I was reading School Rumble, until Kodansha dropped it. The anime is on my hard drive... and has been for years, as with so many other series. :o:
    when you mean when they dropped it, do you mean that they dont publish it anymore or they dont scanlate it anymore? :ninja:

watch it man its so good :hmmm:
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by eugenius 8)
    when you mean when they dropped it, do you mean that they dont publish it anymore or they dont scanlate it anymore? :ninja:

watch it man its so good :hmmm:
    I don't remember Kodansha ever scanlating. :p: Wouldn't surprise me at all if there are translations out there, but even if that would allow me to finish the series, it's not the same as having the whole set on my shelves. :no:

And since you asked so, erm, nicely, I'll add the anime to the list of stuff I'm taking to Reading. My portable hard drive is full to bursting, though, so I'll have to leave Sisters of Wellber and Kaze no Stigma behind... I'm sure I'll live. :giggle:

ReputationRep:
    Hello and welcome to the society. Nice list! Based on what you've watched, I'd recommend the following:

Sankarea - Noticed a few romance and zombie series on your list; this combines the two genres quite nicely. :p:

Code Geass - Mech series featuring a similar protagonist to that of Death Note.

Nichijou - The ultimate high school comedy series (in my opinion).

BTOOOM! - Another survival game along the lines of Mirai Nikki and Danganronpa.

Tower of Druaga - A parody of the usual fantasy/RPG settings, but it has a half decent story too.

Hope that one or more of these series interest you.
    Thank you very much, I will add these to my list I really need to just sit down with my laptop, my tv and a HDMI cable and just watch tons of series!

I can tell that i'm going to enjoy this thread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eugenius 8)
    :hi: ive been really busy with renovating the restaurant last couple of weeks, haven't had much time to watch any anime, still got series to finish from last season, havent touched any of this season yet only been rewatching School Rumble on youtube for the 3rd/4th time, its been a few years since i last watched it :moon: god i love this show :cute: Tenma and Harima has got to be 2 of my fave characters ever :cool: shame they dont have a proper 3rd season and i never watched past the 2nd one has anyone read the manga? ive heard its not as good so ive always been put off it, the music, characters and their voice acting is what makes the anime so good but i really wana see some conclusion to the story

last 3 eps of Oreimo are out :excited:
    Its the first manga I bought albeit I don't own a lot if it yet... Its still pretty good :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Watching last exile atm, is awesome

ReputationRep:
    Anime clichés/tropes really do ruin a lot of the enjoyment for me. I just can't stand things like a dramatic stutter.

ReputationRep:
    Never realised HMV sold Anime grrrr.... They have a better collection than the CEX near me as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nixonsjellybeans)
    Never realised HMV sold Anime grrrr.... They have a better collection than the CEX near me as well.
    Yes, HMV sells anime, but at an EXTREMELY inflated price!
    When I get to uni (assuming I have the funds), I intend to buy a multi-region Blu Ray player and buy most of my stuff from the US version of Amazon. given Blu Rays tend to be better quality than the ones from Australia (which is region B but REALLY expensive) - not including customs or transport costs... damn you madman...
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    ''It's like somebody taped an episode of The Big Bang Theory over a copy of Donnie Darko.'' - Anime Vice's description of Steins;Gate, as found on the cover of the Manga Entertainment DVD release.

I like Big Bang Theory, and Donnie Darko... but that doesn't make this quote any less cringeworthy. :indiff:

ReputationRep:
    ''It's like somebody taped an episode of The Big Bang Theory over a copy of Donnie Darko.'' - Anime Vice's description of Steins;Gate, as found on the cover of the Manga Entertainment DVD release.

I like Big Bang Theory, and Donnie Darko... but that doesn't make this quote any less cringeworthy. :indiff:
    Haven't seen Donnie Darko, not really a fan of TBBT - but I gotta say, the references in Steins;Gate were a lot less OTT than the big bang :K:
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Naami)
    Haven't seen Donnie Darko, not really a fan of TBBT - but I gotta say, the references in Steins;Gate were a lot less OTT than the big bang :K:
    Just remembered another classic, from the blurb on the back of Tokyopop's Someday's Dreamers:

"For the first time in the U.S., TOKYOPOP presents the manga series that influenced the popular anime, which Amazon.com describes as 'A cross between Harry Potter and Sailor Moon'!"

...because it's a shoujo manga series that features magic? :hmmmm2:

I like how in both examples, the licensing companies made it clear that these cringeworthy comments weren't actually made by them. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Just remembered another classic, from the blurb on the back of Tokyopop's Someday's Dreamers:

"For the first time in the U.S., TOKYOPOP presents the manga series that influenced the popular anime, which Amazon.com describes as 'A cross between Harry Potter and Sailor Moon'!"

...because it's a shoujo manga series that features magic? :hmmmm2:

I like how in both examples, the licensing companies made it clear that these cringe-worthy comments weren't actually made by them. :p:
    LOL I see why they don't take credit for such cringy lines :P Why does it seem like the anime/manga medium needs to be compared to mainstream movies/TV's all the time?

ReputationRep:
    Makai Ouji: Devils and Realist
    Durarara
    Kamisama no Inai Nichiyoubi

Out of those, which should I watch first? i.e. which is the 'best'?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by perrytheplatypus)
    Durarara

Durarara!! Without a doubt
    My favourite anime of all time, it is absolutely brilliant.

ReputationRep:
    I know this is a huge long shot but, has anyone seen the latest Ghibli film (Kaze Tachinu/The Wind Rises) online anywhere yet? I'd prefer eng sub but I'll put up with RAW if that's all there is.

I know it's not been out long but It only took a few months for Arrietty to get online so thought i'd have a look.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Durarara

I've only seen the first episode of Makai Ouji: Devils and Realist, so can't really comment on that, but of the other two, Durarara is by far the better IMO. :yes: Still, Kamisama no Inai Nichiyoubi isn't bad either, and since it's still ongoing at just 7 episodes, it probably wouldn't take you long to catch up. :nah:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by porridgeandrhi)
    Durarara!! Without a doubt
    My favourite anime of all time, it is absolutely brilliant.

I've only seen the first episode of Makai Ouji: Devils and Realist, so can't really comment on that, but of the other two, Durarara is by far the better IMO. :yes: Still, Kamisama no Inai Nichiyoubi isn't bad either, and since it's still ongoing at just 7 episodes, it probably wouldn't take you long to catch up. :nah:
    Well, that's two votes for Durarara. I was going to start now, but I've already got a few I'm trying to complete, so I'm going to have to postpone it until I've finished at least one of them.

Or maybe I should save the best for last....?

...decisions, decisions...>_<

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    HI!
    ..... I think I found my home

ReputationRep:
    Durarara

I haven't watched the other two so my vote will probably biased :P
    and it is.. DRRR!! (Durarara)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.