Turn on thread page Beta

The Anime Society 5: Tentacles For All! watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scienceisgood)
    Yes, HMV sells anime, but at an EXTREMELY inflated price!
    When I get to uni (assuming I have the funds), I intend to buy a multi-region Blu Ray player and buy most of my stuff from the US version of Amazon. given Blu Rays tend to be better quality than the ones from Australia (which is region B but REALLY expensive) - not including customs or transport costs... damn you madman...
    Not too shabby idea. Some if it wasn't too badly priced, I just like browsing anyway I mean K-on! Season two was cheaper in there than actually on amazon which is crazy :lol: may have been reduced or something though. At first I was like 'Nah I don't need anime and plus my parents will just berate me even more'; at the moment i'm trying to buy whatever my grubby claws can get

ReputationRep:
    Sooo, has anyone watched Legend of the Galactic Heroes?

ReputationRep:
    Any big Ippo fans? Jap championship fight and world contender match coming up!!! So hyped for it but also so worried for Ippo. It's as if he's forcing you to believe Ippo is more likely than not to lose this time.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Kircheis)
    Not quite, I'm currently on episode 66 though. Have been making slow but steady progress with the series since July. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    I belong here haha ;w; Hello everyone.
    Right now I'm watching Shingeki no Kyoujin, I find it is as popular as Sword Art Online was last year but less rushed.
    But other than that, I'm more into manga right now. I'm reading Rave Master, Great Teacher Onizuka, Claymore, Fairy Tail and Berserk (which has been on a break for months zz)

If you want a quick manga to read, I definitely recommend Wata****achi no Shiawase na Jikan. No matter how much I tried to hold back my tears, I ended up bawling.

ReputationRep:
    Any recommendations for someone who LOVED Death Note and Code Geass?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spaz Man)
    A currently airing AWESOME series:
    Danganronpa: Kibou no Gakuen to Zetsubou no Koukousei - The Animation

Only 7 episodes have been released so far though.
    Is based off a game as far as I can tell, or, may have been a manga made into a game made into anime. =l

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone tell me exactly what the anime "Eccentric Family" is about because I am kinda lost, and also, as to why the main character dresses as a girl =l

To be honest, I never did finish the first episode, missed like the last 7-8 minutes, had to go out and didn't get around to finishing it.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Spaz Man)
    I can't think of any other series with such intelligent anti-heroes for main characters, but these share some themes with Death Note and Code Geass, so might be of interest.

Monster

Spiral

One Outs

Shiki

Speed Grapher

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryJellyfish)
    I can't think of any other series with such intelligent anti-heroes for main characters, but these share some themes with Death Note and Code Geass, so might be of interest.

Monster

Spiral

One Outs

Shiki

Speed Grapher
    Warning - Monster is excessively long.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Warning - Monster is excessively long.
    I'm aware of the longer episode count, but they didn't specify they wanted a short series. :dontknow: As for the pacing, its certainly slower than Code Geass and Death Note, but whether that's a bad thing or not is purely a matter of opinion - I could just as easily argue that Death Note's second half was horribly rushed compared with the manga, while the sequel to Code Geass was a full blown trainwreck (and despite that, I'm a fan of both). :p: Personally, I feel that Monster is just as exciting and full of suspense as those two series when it needs to be.

Can anyone tell me exactly what the anime "Eccentric Family" is about because I am kinda lost, and also, as to why the main character dresses as a girl =l

To be honest, I never did finish the first episode, missed like the last 7-8 minutes, had to go out and didn't get around to finishing it.
    The Eccentric Family/Uchouten Kazoku is set in a world where tanuki, tengu and humans live alongside each other. The main character Yasaburo is a tanuki, the third of four brothers, whose well-respected father was captured and eaten by a group of humans known as the 'Friday Fellows'. And it just so happens that one of the members of this group, a psychic girl known as Benten, is a close friend of Yasaburo and his 'master', an elderly tengu. As for why the protagonist often takes the form of a human girl himself... he just finds it fun, I guess? Tanuki are stereotypically mischevious, and Yasaburo is known as an idiot even among other tanuki.

The series is essentially a slice of life/comedy show, but with dark undertones and complex characters. If slow-pacing isn't your thing, it might not be the series for you.

ReputationRep:
    I'm aware of the longer episode count, but they didn't specify they wanted a short series. :dontknow: As for the pacing, its certainly slower than Code Geass and Death Note, but whether that's a bad thing or not is purely a matter of opinion - I could just as easily argue that Death Note's second half was horribly rushed compared with the manga, while the sequel to Code Geass was a full blown trainwreck (and despite that, I'm a fan of both). :p: Personally, I feel that Monster is just as exciting and full of suspense as those two series when it needs to be.

The Eccentric Family/Uchouten Kazoku is set in a world where tanuki, tengu and humans live alongside each other. The main character Yasaburo is a tanuki, the third of four brothers, whose well-respected father was captured and eaten by a group of humans known as the 'Friday Fellows'. And it just so happens that one of the members of this group, a psychic girl known as Benten, is a close friend of Yasaburo and his 'master', an elderly tengu. As for why the protagonist often takes the form of a human girl himself... he just finds it fun, I guess? Tanuki are stereotypically mischevious, and Yasaburo is known as an idiot even among other tanuki.

The series is essentially a slice of life/comedy show, but with dark undertones and complex characters. If slow-pacing isn't your thing, it might not be the series for you.
    Personally, i wasn't all that interested in the series when it started, but i gave the first couple of episodes my time, and i've now watched all of the released subs and i find it really entertaining to watch. Not normally my kettle of fish, but it is enjoyable.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by JamesR1993)
    Personally, i wasn't all that interested in the series when it started, but i gave the first couple of episodes my time, and i've now watched all of the released subs and i find it really entertaining to watch. Not normally my kettle of fish, but it is enjoyable.
    I'm assuming you're referring to Uchouten Kazoku, since you mentioned 'released subs'? :p: Myself, I do enjoy it, but I wouldn't say it stands out that much compared with the season's other offerings.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kircheis)
    Watched the movie and now onto the series although i'm pretty apprehensive about giving such a long series a go, my attention span barely allows for much TV so chances are i'll keep dropping it and starting again. Then again Space opera's are pretty much my favourite TV so i'll get into it soon :3

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone considered Ichigo being gay.I mean how can he not fall for a hot thing like orihime?

ReputationRep:
    I finished watching Clannad and Clannad After Story, was in tears
    Does anyone know any anime similar to Clannad? I've been told Ano Hana is and I'm going to watch that next.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bude8)
    I finished watching Clannad and Clannad After Story, was in tears
    Does anyone know any anime similar to Clannad? I've been told Ano Hana is and I'm going to watch that next.
    I haven't watched Clannad (keep meaning to), but I watched Ano Hana. In tears.
    Other similar anime that are pretty good: Angel Beats and Sola. But I'd definitely recommend Ano Hana

ReputationRep:

Monster

Spiral

One Outs

Shiki

Speed Grapher
    Thanks I'm watching Monster atm

ReputationRep:
    I really love Uchouten Kazoku. Apart from being really interesting it's also just enjoyable to watch in a way that most anime aren't these days. And it's nice to have some focus on familial relationships as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rothwell)
    In this post: 90% of shounen characters ever.
    :confused: i am not following you.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.