Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Anime Society 5: Tentacles For All! watch

• CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Scienceisgood)
    Guys, I am thinking of getting an anime canvas for my place when at uni. Have to admit I have always wanted one. =P

Which anime canvas would you get if you could have one (if you want one) and which image/art would you get?
    I am thinking of choosing something from that art book from the limited edition release of Blue Exorcist. :excited:
    Plenty of artists, professional and not, sell prints of their work. The majority can be found on Pixiv and Drawr. Better than using published work that's not intended for large print or marketing posters. Depends what you want, though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    The weekend is upon us and that can only mean one thing, anime time!

Does anyone have any anime recommendations that preferably I haven't seen yet? I'll be following my weeklies as usual. You can find out what I've seen by clicking on the image in my signature. Thanks in advance.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Aiko, although, the stuff I am more looking for is this kinda stuff, the art is so awesome! XD

Spoiler:
    Show

Name:  Pic 1.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  310.6 KB

Name:  Pic 2.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  528.9 KB

Name:  Pic 3.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  423.0 KB

Name:  Pic 4.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  517.9 KB

Name:  Pic 5.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  514.1 KB

Name:  Pic 6.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  284.2 KB

Name:  Pic 7.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  506.8 KB

EDIT:
    Don't know why last pic didn't appear in spoiler...
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering but, does anyone think it is possible to send something to Japan to get the author to sign the work and send it back to you?

ReputationRep:
    If I had any printed art, it would be of Kyo when he's angry w/ cat ears. It's so adorable!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by It'sNotMyFaultx)
    If I had any printed art, it would be of Kyo when he's angry w/ cat ears. It's so adorable!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Kyo is just :love: I really want a plush of him in his cat form >.<
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Aiko)
    anime... I haven't seen yet
    :zomg: Erm, I'll try my best!

There's a lot of movies and OVAs I liked that you haven't seen - El Hazard (a classic), a few of the Rumic World OVAs (Fire Tripper, Maris the Chojo, Laughing Target etc), Windaria (similar in feel to a Ghibli movie... but darker than most), maybe Dallos (supposedly the first OVA; it had great potential, but the ending wasn't fantastic).

As for TV series suggestions, I'll have to get back to you - A-P's compare list function is ridiculously slow, and my lunch break just ended. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scienceisgood)
    Just wondering but, does anyone think it is possible to send something to Japan to get the author to sign the work and send it back to you?
    That seems unlikely. At best you could get hold of pre signed prints maybe. Other than that, flying over there and going to a signing event would probably be the next best thing.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Aiko)
    anime time!
    Continuing from where I left off earlier... TV series!

The only series in my Top 50 that you haven't seen, as far as I can tell, is Welcome to the NHK - would definitely recommend that above all else :yes: Captain Harlock just misses out on my Top 50 though, and is definitely worth considering. Then there's Chronicles of the Heroic Knight... for no other reason than that I'm a huge Lodoss fanboy. Genshiken is fun, has some fantastic characters, and you should watch it if only so that you can watch the masterpiece that is Nidaime afterwards. :giggle:

ReputationRep:
    Danganaranran ronpa is pretty amusing.:giggle: The character designs are rather unique. I like the court room scenes and their pheonix wright references.:yes: Annoyingly those are the parts with those damn laggy subs with the stupid font that make everything slow. :cry:

(Original post by AngryJellyfish)
    Genshiken is fun, has some fantastic characters, and you should watch it if only so that you can watch the masterpiece that is Nidaime afterwards. :giggle:
    I recommended genshiken years ago but she said she didnt like it.:hmmm:

ReputationRep:
    So, I want to watch fullmetal alchemist but apparently there's 2 versions?? :confused: Is it worth watching both of them? If so which one should I watch first and should I watch subbed/dubbed?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GreenOut)
    So, I want to watch fullmetal alchemist but apparently there's 2 versions?? :confused: Is it worth watching both of them? If so which one should I watch first and should I watch subbed/dubbed?
    I prefer the dub, but sub is pretty good. I suggest Brotherhood as the narrative is much more superior, the antagonist has a more threatening motive and the characters are more developed beyond what was shown in the first anime.

Plus Brotherhood is based on the manga, wheras the first anime is partially based, diverting after episode 27 into original plot territory.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Brotherhood follows the manga to the T but both are fairly good animes imo.
    Although, I think the original FMA is what got me into mainstream anime in the first place. =l

In short, the whole of the original series is compact into the first 13 episodes of brotherhood.

EDIT:
    Also, the dub for Brotherhood isn't that bad in my opinion. I would certainly rate it highly.

EDIT2:
    Although, I personally preferred brotherhood, although, it does drag out in bits and it could have had a few episodes cut without changing the storyline too much but no more than 2 eps.
    Although, Brotherhood to me has the PERFECT balance of comedy and action.

ReputationRep:
    I also along with Ammish prefer the dub over the sub for Brotherhood. Would recommend watching that first before then original.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by vin)
    But it's on her want to watch list! :hmmm:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    :zomg: Erm, I'll try my best!

There's a lot of movies and OVAs I liked that you haven't seen - El Hazard (a classic), a few of the Rumic World OVAs (Fire Tripper, Maris the Chojo, Laughing Target etc), Windaria (similar in feel to a Ghibli movie... but darker than most), maybe Dallos (supposedly the first OVA; it had great potential, but the ending wasn't fantastic).

As for TV series suggestions, I'll have to get back to you - A-P's compare list function is ridiculously slow, and my lunch break just ended. :p:
    Thanks AJ, I'll have a look into all of these tomorrow. I'll probably get around to watching El Hazard and Windaria this weekend.

Continuing from where I left off earlier... TV series!

The only series in my Top 50 that you haven't seen, as far as I can tell, is Welcome to the NHK - would definitely recommend that above all else :yes: Captain Harlock just misses out on my Top 50 though, and is definitely worth considering. Then there's Chronicles of the Heroic Knight... for no other reason than that I'm a huge Lodoss fanboy. Genshiken is fun, has some fantastic characters, and you should watch it if only so that you can watch the masterpiece that is Nidaime afterwards. :giggle:
    I've been very reluctant to watch Welcome to the NHK and Genshiken purely because I've been put off the idea of watching (or reading) about 'otaku culture'. Obviously, I'm aware of the positive reception both series have received, especially the former, so maybe I should look past this niggle of mine.

(Original post by vin)
    But it's on her want to watch list! :hmmm:
    Aha, as mentioned, I'll try to overcome my groundless distaste. I don't really know why I dislike the notion of watching something about otaku culture, I just do. Let's put it this way, it's no coincidence that I haven't seen either.

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone given the new Akira toriyama manga a try yet? It's pretty funny and reminds me of Cowa! Another toriyama masterpiece.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Aiko)
    Thanks AJ, I'll have a look into all of these tomorrow. I'll probably get around to watching El Hazard and Windaria this weekend.
    Awesome. If you do, sure to let me know what you thought of them. :yes:

(Original post by Aiko)
    I've been very reluctant to watch Welcome to the NHK and Genshiken purely because I've been put off the idea of watching (or reading) about 'otaku culture'. Obviously, I'm aware of the positive reception both series have received, especially the former, so maybe I should look past this niggle of mine.
    I can't really say anything, I've had my fair share of weird pet hates in the past (long series, mech anime, sport anime etc)... can't think of any premise/genre that I'd outright refuse to watch these days, mind. :p: Feel free to ignore those recommendations if you don't feel comfortable with the subject matter, but if you do decide to try and get over it, might as well start with the best (which Welcome to the NHK and Genshiken are, IMO). :p:
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by GalaxygunnerX)
    Has anyone given the new Akira toriyama manga a try yet? It's pretty funny and reminds me of Cowa! Another toriyama masterpiece.
    I have to admit, the only Toriyama manga I've read is Dr. Slump (might as well start with his debut serialization, I thought!), which I finished earlier this year. It was amusing enough. :yes: I tend to stick to series that are licensed and printed in English, so probably won't get around to his new series (Ginga Patrol Jako) unless Viz or someone else pick it up. I'd been thinking about buying Cowa! and/or Sand Land at some point though, if only because they're short, single volume series. Guessing you'd recommend the former? Any thoughts on the latter?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aiko)

Aha, as mentioned, I'll try to overcome my groundless distaste. I don't really know why I dislike the notion of watching something about otaku culture, I just do. Let's put it this way, it's no coincidence that I haven't seen either.
    They give a good insight into otakuness and with genshiken nidaime fujoshi-ness.:giggle: Although genshiken is a bit more realistic than welcome to the nhk. :yes: Actually found it quite informative. Especially the stuff about comiket... 5 hr line... horrendous heat.:afraid:

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.