Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Anime Society 5: Tentacles For All! watch

• Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by nixonsjellybeans)
    For a number of years i've been trying to remember a Mecha anime that I watched as a child on TV. My family had no recollection of it so I was stuck, Just now A-P suggested a random anime on its home page and it turned out to be what I was looking for :lol:

The anime was... Zoids
    I didn't see any of the Zoids anime series on TV myself, but we do have this 1987 Zoids annual from Marvel comics which I liked reading as a child. When I heard about Zoids Chaotic Century and recognised the name, I spent ages trying to figure out whether there was any connection between the two (the names and robotic dinosaur themes matched, sure enough, but there was a gap of over a decade between the annual and the first anime, and I couldn't figure out whether it was originally Japanese or American). Turns out that the franchise is based around a range of toys, that have gone through a number of re-releases. :beard:

As for the anime... I've been tempted to give at least one of the series a go, but my preference for subs over dubs put that idea on hold last time I looked into it. I believe that only the most recent series (Genesis) got a full English subbed release. :s:

ReputationRep:
    Anyone noticed the sheer amount of sports animes being released?
    Just found a cycling anime trailer:

So far you have basketball, swimming and now cycling.
    I am thinking Tokyo is releasing all their sports animes prematurely because of the Summer Olympics 2020...

ReputationRep:
    A
    (Original post by Scienceisgood)
    Anyone noticed the sheer amount of sports animes being released?
    Just found a cycling anime trailer:

So far you have basketball, swimming and now cycling.
    I am thinking Tokyo is releasing all their sports animes prematurely because of the Summer Olympics 2020...
    There's also rugby, baseball, soccer, American football, fencing, judo, karate and all the sporting norms...
    The key is - if there's a thing you can or could do in real life... It's an anime.

I don't think the Olympics is a direct reason for the new releases, the thing is sporting mangas are one of the main genres in manga. And are usually very well received and sell really well. Some of the best mangas/animes have been of the sporting genre... Im thinking
    Slam-Dunk, captain tsubasa, eyeshield 21. And obviously if the mangas do so well, its a no brainer to have animes made of them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GalaxygunnerX)
    A

There's also rugby, baseball, soccer, American football, fencing, judo, karate and all the sporting norms...
    The key is - if there's a thing you can or could do in real life... It's an anime.

I don't think the Olympics is a direct reason for the new releases, the thing is sporting mangas are one of the main genres in manga. And are usually very well received and sell really well. Some of the best mangas/animes have been of the sporting genre... Im thinking
    Slam-Dunk, captain tsubasa, eyeshield 21. And obviously if the mangas do so well, its a no brainer to have animes made of them.
    I said being released, not been released.
    As in, RECENTLY, not stuff made like 4-5 years ago (or in 1 case there, 8 years ago).

ReputationRep:
    I said being released, not been released.
    As in, RECENTLY, not stuff made like 4-5 years ago (or in 1 case there, 8 years ago).
    I still don't think the Olympics is a direct cause of new animes releasing... I think it may be one of the contributing factors, thats all.

Those examples I gave were just examples of some of the best sports mangas/animes out there, if you want a relatively recent anime that is quite good, Area no kishi or knight of the area which was released this January 2012 (In Japan) is a good example

Sports anime and manga are part of the shonen genre... The most popular genre in anime and manga, so its only natural that they release anime at any time of the year (regardless of Olympics) plus if the Olympics was a direct cause of a "premature" release then wouldn't they release it in 2-4 years time? (sports animes/mangas are quite short compared to other genres)

A manga being announced now or in 1-2 years time would be much more likely to have started due to the Olympics...
    A manga (sport or not) is serialised at any time in a year, only because of the quality of the manga it is based on, or for how long that manga has been running for and its popularity.

ReputationRep:
    For a number of years i've been trying to remember a Mecha anime that I watched as a child on TV. My family had no recollection of it so I was stuck, Just now A-P suggested a random anime on its home page and it turned out to be what I was looking for :lol:

The anime was... Zoids
    (Original post by AngryJellyfish)
    I didn't see any of the Zoids anime series on TV myself, but we do have this 1987 Zoids annual from Marvel comics which I liked reading as a child. When I heard about Zoids Chaotic Century and recognised the name, I spent ages trying to figure out whether there was any connection between the two (the names and robotic dinosaur themes matched, sure enough, but there was a gap of over a decade between the annual and the first anime, and I couldn't figure out whether it was originally Japanese or American). Turns out that the franchise is based around a range of toys, that have gone through a number of re-releases. :beard:

As for the anime... I've been tempted to give at least one of the series a go, but my preference for subs over dubs put that idea on hold last time I looked into it. I believe that only the most recent series (Genesis) got a full English subbed release. :s:
    You've gotta watch Zoids! It's my favourite anime. It's not only full of action, but it also looks into the relationships between the characters very well. I'm feeling the urge to watch it again just typing this :excited:

ReputationRep:
    The one anime genre I can't watch at all is mecha...
    I'm usually like that but this is the exception its probably the only Mecha i'd watch at the moment.

(Original post by AngryJellyfish)

I've seen large amounts of Zoids Chaotic Century and Guardian Force, and mere bits of the later spin offs that just didn't interest me. Its worth a watch if you ever get around to it, think i'll watch a few episodes today...

(Original post by Khallil)
    You've gotta watch Zoids! It's my favourite anime. It's not only full of action, but it also looks into the relationships between the characters very well. I'm feeling the urge to watch it again just typing this :excited:
    Whats not to love about giant robot animals diving on each other?

ReputationRep:
    Whats not to love about giant robot animals diving on each other?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Exactly! Then one pulls out a blade and begins slicing and dicing everything :awesome: (slightly reminiscent of Raiden in MGS )

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    For any Fairy Tail fans out there, it was recently announced the Blu Ray of the movie will be released on 10th December. =)

ReputationRep:
    Is SNK taking a break after episode 25?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yuuki)
    Is SNK taking a break after episode 25?
    Most Likely. :beard:

ReputationRep:
    Can you guys recommend a good site with which I can keep track of all the anime I've watched thus far?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Khallil)
    Can you guys recommend a good site with which I can keep track of all the anime I've watched thus far?
    Either Anime-Planet(A-P) or MyAnimeList(MAL). I personally use MAL but afaik the majority of the Soc uses, or used, A-P.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vin)
    Most Likely. :beard:
    Oh :-( Any idea for how long?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yuuki)
    Oh :-( Any idea for how long?
    Not sure tbh. The manga is apparently monthly release I think, so the wait might be a while for it to get ahead.:dontknow: Ive only read the first volume so Im not sure how far ahead it is but hopefully someone else can answer more accurately.:poke:

EDIT: Some guy on some other random forum said that the manga is roughly 15 or so eps ahead.:hmmmm:

ReputationRep:
    Looks like I'm adding Yowamushi Pedal and Ace no Diamond to my plan to watch.
    I'm going to have way too much anime to watch next season.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone seen Mamoru Hosoda's Wolf Children? I love wolves (duh) and enjoyed The Girl Who Leapt Through Time immensely. The guy is quite clearly Ghibli-influenced but in an intelligent and complimentary way. Actually it felt rather like The Cat Returns but with his own story. Time-travel isn't new, but it still felt fresh with deep emotional impact.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vin)
    Not sure tbh. The manga is apparently monthly release I think, so the wait might be a while for it to get ahead.:dontknow: Ive only read the first volume so Im not sure how far ahead it is but hopefully someone else can answer more accurately.:poke:

EDIT: Some guy on some other random forum said that the manga is roughly 15 or so eps ahead.:hmmmm:

Thanks Vin :-) It's probably going to be a long wait then considering the manga is a monthly release. Oh well, it's worth the wait :-D

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I was wondering when Legend of Korra was making a come back? The anime not the manga. I heard that it might be today, but I couldn't find anything...:hmmm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yuuki)
    Thanks Vin :-) It's probably going to be a long wait then considering the manga is a monthly release. Oh well, it's worth the wait :-D
    Given how massively popular it is, hopefully they'll minimise the wait.

Or maybe they might animate the high school spin off manga in the mean time.:awesome:

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.