Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Finally finished Galactic Cyclone Bryger... it was pretty awful, apart from the epic soundtrack. Will be watching DT Eightron next, which I've only really heard bad things about in the past, so that should be great fun. :p:
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    (Original post by AngryJellyfish)
    Finally finished Galactic Cyclone Bryger... it was pretty awful, apart from the epic soundtrack. Will be watching DT Eightron next, which I've only really heard bad things about in the past, so that should be great fun. :p:
    :giggle: Why do you want to watch things if they're 'bad' or 'awful'?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by AMYC1999)
    :giggle: Why do you want to watch things if they're 'bad' or 'awful'?
    I didn't know what to expect when I started Bryger, but the synopsis sounded interesting enough, and the great soundtrack and character designs meant it made a good first impression. :yes: Just a shame that the first half of the series was episodic 'bad guy of the week' stuff, and even when it got a major recurring (and sparkly) villain in the second half, the plot was hilariously bad. :p:

As for DT Eightron, I'd not heard of it until a friend watched the first episode with me about a couple of years ago. Can't remember much of what happened, except that I was interested enough to get the rest of the series. Only afterwards did I find out about its reputation as a low budget Evangelion clone... but still, I'd much rather give it a chance and form my own opinion of it than let that put me off. :giggle:

ReputationRep:
    I didn't know what to expect when I started Bryger, but the synopsis sounded interesting enough, and the great soundtrack and character designs meant it made a good first impression. :yes: Just a shame that the first half of the series was episodic 'bad guy of the week' stuff, and even when it got a major recurring (and sparkly) villain in the second half, the plot was hilariously bad. :p:

As for DT Eightron, I'd not heard of it until a friend watched the first episode with me about a couple of years ago. Can't remember much of what happened, except that I was interested enough to get the rest of the series. Only afterwards did I find out about its reputation as a low budget Evangelion clone... but still, I'd much rather give it a chance and form my own opinion of it than let that put me off. :giggle:
    And you're watching it now? Your list must be 10 pages long XD.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Dilzo999)
    And you're watching it now? Your list must be 10 pages long XD.
    My want to watch list is currently 59 titles long, but I add to it every now and then, and I don't watch things in any logical order either. I've got unwatched anime series on my hard drives that have been there since 2010. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else pissed off as to how easily Laxus kicked that demon's ass in Fairy Tail's latest chapter?
    I was REALLY hoping for Laxus to have his ass either handed to him or having his life on the line in the ER room of Fairy Tail!

I knew they would declare war on Tartarus but I didn't expect Laxus to kick his ass so easily damn it!

EDIT:
    I mean, these guys are supposed to be Zeref's (The most powerful dark mage in history!) top demons ffs, even more powerful than Deleora and that required Ur to sacrifice herself to defeat!
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Scienceisgood)
    Anyone else pissed off... in Fairy Tail's latest chapter?
    I'm assuming this post contains spoilers. If so, please spoiler tag it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scienceisgood)
    Anyone else pissed off as to how easily Laxus kicked that demon's ass in Fairy Tail's latest chapter?
    I was REALLY hoping for Laxus to have his ass either handed to him or having his life on the line in the ER room of Fairy Tail!

I knew they would declare war on Tartarus but I didn't expect Laxus to kick his ass so easily damn it!

EDIT:
    I mean, these guys are supposed to be Zeref's (The most powerful dark mage in history!) top demons ffs, even more powerful than Deleora and that required Ur to sacrifice herself to defeat!
    He got owned in 3 hits, I was just laughing the whole way through as I knew a lot of people were going to be upset about it. At this point I don't really care about Fairy tail anymore. I'm just finishing it as I've gotten this far and it would be a shame to drop it.

ReputationRep:
    I dunno if I've already said this but oh god I love Kyousogiga so, so very much. It pushes every button for me, beautiful art, beautiful animation, wacky cartoonish humour, a strong family-centric story, magic and alternate dimensions, plus springing off of Through the Looking Glass <3

Coppelion and Galilei Donna are falling to the bottom of my list for this season but I can't be bothered to drop anything >.>

I'm impressed with Golden Time.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I couldn't help but take a dislike to Kouko from the beginning but they actually took her problems somewhat seriously and portrayed her in a not-so-golden light for a while. This amnesia alternate spirit business is kinda out of left field though.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry Ouran is the best!
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Carecup)
    Re-reading that it does sound like I'm being sarcastic, although that wasn't actually the intention.

I've honestly re-watched the latest episode of KLK several times cause I just enjoyed the filler, especially the parts with Mako's reactions. There's also a sense of the anime staff having fun, it really does a good job of re-capturing the kind of passion that this same team would have put into TTGL all those years ago.

Very high hopes for it overall.
    Ah, in that case you're forgiven as I definitely agree.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    I'm visiting friends at Aberystwyth next week, who happen to be the president and VP of the anime society there, and they've asked me for help finding short episode length anime series - aside from Senyuu, they've just been recycling the same few shows every year or two (Detroit Metal City, Gag Manga Biyori - both of which I originally screened in my year on committee :proud: - Cromartie High School and Astro Fighter Sunred), and want some new ideas.

I've got a few ideas of my own (Rec, Nyanpire, Di Gi Charat, Kimagure Robot etc), and am planning on trying a few others from recent seasons between now and my visit (starting with Namiuchigiwa no Muromi-san), but if anyone has any other suggestions I'll look into them. For Aberanime purposes, a 'short' should usually be ~10 minutes per episode or shorter, and 13 episodes or less (though if the episodes are only 5 minutes long, they could show two per screening, allowing for up to 26 episodes etc).

The following series have been tried before, and were so unpopular they've effectively been blacklisted, due to the horror stories passed down from committee member to committee member (though I liked all the ones I saw). :p:

Legend of Duo
    Tweeny Witches
    Hetalia
    Panda-Z
    Chi's Sweet Home

ReputationRep:
    I'm visiting friends at Aberystwyth next week, who happen to be the president and VP of the anime society there, and they've asked me for help finding short episode length anime series - aside from Senyuu, they've just been recycling the same few shows every year or two (Detroit Metal City, Gag Manga Biyori - both of which I originally screened in my year on committee :proud: - Cromartie High School and Astro Fighter Sunred), and want some new ideas.

I've got a few ideas of my own (Rec, Nyanpire, Di Gi Charat, Kimagure Robot etc), and am planning on trying a few others from recent seasons between now and my visit (starting with Namiuchigiwa no Muromi-san), but if anyone has any other suggestions I'll look into them. For Aberanime purposes, a 'short' should usually be ~10 minutes per episode or shorter, and 13 episodes or less (though if the episodes are only 5 minutes long, they could show two per screening, allowing for up to 26 episodes etc).

The following series have been tried before, and were so unpopular they've effectively been blacklisted, due to the horror stories passed down from committee member to committee member (though I liked all the ones I saw). :p:

Legend of Duo
    Tweeny Witches
    Hetalia
    Panda-Z
    Chi's Sweet Home
    Only anime epiodes I know that are less than 10 mins are Hetalia. =l
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    How did I forget Doujin Work? :zomg: That went down well enough in the 2008/09 schedule, and I'm sure they haven't shown it since. :beard:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    How did I forget Doujin Work? :zomg: That went down well enough in the 2008/09 schedule, and I'm sure they haven't shown it since. :beard:
    Hmm, aside from what you've already mentioned and/or chosen, all of the Studio Rikka works such as Eve no Jikan and Mizu no Kotoba are worth showing. Aru Tabibito no Nikki and Chocolate Underground are a few others off the top of my head that were pretty good.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Aiko)
    Hmm, aside from what you've already mentioned and/or chosen, all of the Studio Rikka works such as Eve no Jikan and Mizu no Kotoba are worth showing. Aru Tabibito no Nikki and Chocolate Underground are a few others off the top of my head that were pretty good.
    I love Eve no Jikan, but it was looked at a couple of years back, and I think they decided against it as a short due to the changeable episode length - the first episode is 15 minutes long, but they gradually get slightly longer after that, and the last episode is 27 minutes. :s: Suppose I could take it along, as it's a whole new committee now, and if they like it enough they could plan the rest of the semester's shows around it. :p: Alternatively, there's always the movie, if they feel it deserves a whole screening to itself. :beard: Mizu no Kotoba, I'd forgotten about, so thanks for the suggestion!

I have Aru Tabibito no Nikki, but for whatever reason the sub group decided to merge all the episodes together into one 16 minute file, and I lack the software/patience to split them all up again. I suppose it could work as a single episode, but I'll have a look first to see if anyone else has released them separately.

I'd completely forgotten about Chocolate Underground - we were looking at shorts to show in my final year, and that came up as a possibility, but then I showed the rest of the committee DMC, and we didn't even bother checking out the others after that. :giggle: I'll see if I can find it again. I wonder if anyone in the society would recognise it as an adaptation of the novel/BBC children's series Bootleg?

ReputationRep:
    I'd completely forgotten about Chocolate Underground - we were looking at shorts to show in my final year, and that came up as a possibility, but then I showed the rest of the committee DMC, and we didn't even bother checking out the others after that. :giggle: I'll see if I can find it again. I wonder if anyone in the society would recognise it as an adaptation of the novel/BBC children's series Bootleg?
    Bloody hell Bootleg! I forgot about that BBC series that I watched years ago. It was pretty good actually

ReputationRep:
    Aoki's special move :awesome: only he could think up of something like that :rolleyes: and the other guy the 2nd time round :toofunny: :facepalm2:
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Muromi-san was fantastic, I'll definitely take that along with me to Aber. I'll be trying Plastic Nee-san next, which seems pretty highly rated as far as shorts go.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone thinking of going to Hyper Japan in the summer?

Hyper Japan Video Clip from last time. =)

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.