Turn on thread page Beta

The Anime Society 5: Tentacles For All! watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aiko)
    On a related note, Tony has declared that he's aiming to surpass you in episode count by the end of the summer. :giggle: :tongue:
    Somehow I misread that as Truered and was all "when did I say that?" :mmm:

I'm not a superman :no:

Need to catch up on the various new shows this weekend, I'm behind on all of them :awesome: But I think I've now reached episode 90 of Ranma :zomg:

ReputationRep:
    oh man the HSOD OVA :rofl: :sexface:

good ep of Shippuuden, but i want more :puppyeyes:

ReputationRep:
    Just reached the OP of Hidan no Aria. Have to say it- why was a uzi/machine gun seemingly riding a segway? :awesome:

2nd ep of deadman was good

ReputationRep:
    Most visually stunning anime?
    Whats your top choices?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by bill-e)
    Whats your top choices?
    Hmm, this is difficult because there's many that could be considered 'visually stunning' for different reasons. Nevertheless, Karas, Steamboy, Eve no Jikan and 5 Centimetres Per Second are definitely up there. Many of the films by Ghibli are worth acknowledging too.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Whats your top choices?
    I'll go for the first three things to spring to mind, or else I'd be here all evening. :p:

While I'm not a huge fan of his works (they're too slow even for my liking), I have to give Makoto Shinkai credit in terms of visuals. Like Aiko, I'd say 5 Centimeters per Second stands out, even if that's about all it has going for it IMO. I'd also rate Le Portrait de Petit Cossette highly; awesome use of colours. :yes: Lastly, Seirei no Moribito definitely deserves a place on my list. While I've come to expect high quality animation from films and OVAs, I've not seen many TV series that looked so good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aiko)
    Hmm, this is difficult because there's many that could be considered 'visually stunning' for different reasons. Nevertheless, Karas, Steamboy, Eve no Jikan and 5 Centimetres Per Second are definitely up there. Many of the films by Ghibli are worth acknowledging too.
    True, I unintentionally didn't make it too specific a question in hope to get a wide array of answers :bigsmile:

(Original post by AngryJellyfish)
    I'll go for the first three things to spring to mind, or else I'd be here all evening. :p:

While I'm not a huge fan of his works (they're too slow even for my liking), I have to give Makoto Shinkai credit in terms of visuals. Like Aiko, I'd say 5 Centimeters per Second stands out, even if that's about all it has going for it IMO. I'd also rate Le Portrait de Petit Cossette highly; awesome use of colours. :yes: Lastly, Seirei no Moribito definitely deserves a place on my list. While I've come to expect high quality animation from films and OVAs, I've not seen many TV series that looked so good.
    Some good choices there, particularly Seirei no Moribito which looks :coma:

ReputationRep:
    Whats your top choices?
    Completely agree with Aiko & AJ's choices and would add (will limit myself to 3);

Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo - amazing use of texture & patterns, really gorgeous series
    Revolutionary Girl Utena - the fantastic background designs, use of silhouettes and the whole stylistic look of the series really made Utena special.
    Kara no Kyoukai movie series - absolutely stunning animation, among the best in recent memory
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    True, I unintentionally didn't make it too specific a question in hope to get a wide array of answers :bigsmile:
    In this respect, from a stylistic front, Trapeze, Tatami Galaxy, Kaiba and Bakemonogatari (and, by extension, most of what Shaft produce) I'm particularly fond of. Credit should also go to Bones for the likes of FMA Brotherhood, Xam'd and Eureka Seven. Equally, Macross Frontier was a beautifully animated series, for the most part. Lastly, I agree with all of the suggestions that AJ and Cara have put forth. Oh, and Akira, given its age, is nothing short of revolutionary.

ReputationRep:
    visually stunning :giggle: what a vague term, well newer series and films can be prettier than older ones but to be visually stunning requires more than just that. I remember soul eater impressed me because it was the first Id seen in HD.:redface: Its hard to really name a few that made me go :teeth: Karas was pretty but the fights were too and really had me going :teeth: when I watched it. Despite not really being keen on the character designs in Voices of a distant star, the space battles were rather nice.:yep: More recently those darker scenes in Madoka have been unlike anything else Ive seen. Theres a load of pretty shorts out there too but I cant remember any Oh cat **** one was pretty.:mmm:

ReputationRep:
    Well I ended up starting Aria the scarlet ammo and Dororon tonight, as well as watching another episode of deadman wonderland and Gosick. Will give more in depth thoughts in the season thread after sleep (if I remember :awesome: )

I would have watched more episodes, but I ended up being distracted by youtube for about 2 and a half hours :nyoron:

ReputationRep:
    Due to my relatively short list of watched anime. My list would include bits and bobs. I like the simplicity of Katanagatari. Creativity of certain places in One Piece (sabaody archipelago in particular). The beauty of Ghibli movies, of course. And certain scenes from Eureka Seven, Xam'd and TTGL such as when they see the surface for the first time
    http://static.minitokyo.net/download...jpg?1331833078

ReputationRep:
    finished zombie desu :cute: :sad: twas a fun series :yep:

love that gentle theme tune
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I have mixed feelings regarding Anohana. The premise is mildly intriguing and the character development so early on is proving interesting, but on the other hand, it's failing to entice me in a way that it should. Only three episodes have aired, though, so I'll obviously give it some more time to reel me in.

Ao no Exorcist is clearly the shounen epic of the season. The whole demon/yokai stuff has been done to death in anime, so it'll be interesting to see how the series manages to offer something new, assuming it even tries to. At the very least, I'm glad the main character is our usual ruff 'n' tumble type and not the bipolar weak human who transforms into a cheesy 'cool' demon, a la Rikou Nura. We already have something like that in Hidan no Aria.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eugenius 8)
    finished zombie desu :cute: :sad: twas a fun series :yep:

love that gentle theme tune
    I need to finish that. I have it all on my netbook (which is a bit naff and slow) so I haven't got around to watching beyond about episode 3 yet :nyoron:

I'm on episode 93 of Ranma, which if I'm correct should mean I'm close to reaching 100 episodes watched of a series for the first time since Pokemon in the 90s (before I was an anime fan :awesome: )
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Truered)
    I'm on episode 93 of Ranma, which if I'm correct should mean I'm close to reaching 100 episodes watched of a series for the first time since Pokemon in the 90s (before I was an anime fan :awesome: )
    Wow, really? Coming to think of it, I wonder how many I've seen that are over 100.

Edit: According to A-P, 29, with the highest at 561 with Detective Conan.

ReputationRep:
    Just went and checked. Only pokemons with 118 episodes has breached that mark so far :yes:

But I do now have quite a lot of one piece to watch :ninjagirl:

Also Urusei yatsura
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Truered)
    Just went and checked. Only pokemons with 118 episodes has breached that mark so far :yes:

But I do now have quite a lot of one piece to watch :ninjagirl:

Also Urusei yatsura
    If we were to consider anime with multiple seasons, I believe Hajime no Ippo has passed the 100 episode barrier with New Challenger (not sure, though) and Major definitely has. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Just read the new Bleach...and I full-brought in my pants!
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    One Piece is the only series I've seen over 100 episodes of, but that should probably count as four. :p: By tonight I may have gotten over 100 episodes in a second series, but that's Chi's Sweet Home. :giggle:

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.