Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ok here goes... Lengthy Sword Art Online review. I'll try to do the same for most of the animes I've watched... (Around 132). I hope you guys find it informative and entertaining.

ReputationRep:
    I'd stopped animes for a while... Mainly because I like dubs and also due to amount of time it takes to go through animes. I like reading a lot as well, I'm an avid manga reader so I don't usually go back to an anime after I've just finished reading that entire arc... So it's either watch the anime or read the manga.. I give it a few years before I re look at my favourite animes and mangas and look at them in their other format.

Okay enough about me... Let's begin the review.

So sword art online had a cool sounding name and was under the category of shounen. That's good enough reason for me to start on an anime... My favourite anime genre is shounen after all.

INTRODUCTION
    The first impressions count. This one delivered the goods. This is actually a very clever start... It's unlike any that I've seen before... This one uses the game world as a way to introduce you to the world, the characters and even the plot. I've done some research on this and it's no surprise... This anime is based on a light novel so it's a bit like a short anime e.g. Samurai champloo. It isn't an epic like one piece or naruto that last more an a dozen seasons. It's got a simple plot (albeit a unique one) and it is pretty captivating from the onset. The first episode was clever, witty and well thought out with plot twists that really make you think... But it cleverly answers and portrays those emotions and questions you may have through the various characters.

VOICE ACTING (English dub)

Overall the voice acting was quite good, the lead characters did an excellent job.
    The female voice acting is done very well by all characters. The male voice acting was a bit meh in comparison. The poor voice acting was slightly covered with the brilliant soundtrack. The biggest problems I had were during the deaths of (supposed) support characters, you know the sort, they get around 2-3 minutes of screen time, end up saying bad puns, die a lot, add nothing to the overall experience... I think there's one scene in episode 2 where this will be apparent.

SOUNDTRACK

Whilst the soundtrack isn't something that I'd immediately want to listen to, the soundtrack is brilliant and connects well with the beautiful world. It's also the music that enhances some of the characters dialogue deliveries, tension and fighting scenes, providing an awe-inspiring charm in which the anime is presented. The soundtrack usually composes of an orchestral, almost theatrical display. This is especially apparent in the climax scenes and when the characters arrive at the central city in the game. I felt the need to cry at certain points... I wasn't sure if it was the tragic music that was playing or the terribly poor and cheesy deaths of some players. One part where this anime shines is the romance, this is portrayed beautifully with the various symphonies and sweet mellow guitar riffs. I especially enjoyed the medley of guitar, drums and orchestral rhythms when kirito was fighting an endless hoard of enemies, it showed the passion and love perfectly.

ART STYLE

I think for a new anime this has certainly learnt from its predecessors and has taken note of the many flaws. The art style is magnificent, nothing unique but the fantasy world is vivid and beautiful, a treat to look at. Characters are well animated, looking pretty much the same as in any other anime but with lots of tiny refinements that make them look even better.

STORY

This is a story of one player's perspective in a virtual mass multiplayer online role playing game. Where the entire body of the player enters a virtual word. Doing awesome things. Think world of Warcraft with floors from 1-100 in a dungeon tower in the centre of the game world. Did I mention that the game creator is a bit nuts? Yep, he's bonkers. He decides its best if the players remain trapped in the game forever and that if their bodies die in the game, they die in real life. Game over right? The thing is this complicated plot is delivered to the viewer in a very effective way, most of the initial questions you will have will be answered... Those that you start thinking of in the end of one episode will be answered in the next episode. Each episode is engaging and definitely entertaining enough to complete the entire anime. The sense of time is apparent, and changes you would expect occur. Our protagonist is very smart and makes this entire journey highly enjoyable. The main characters he meets are also very interesting, offering different kinds opinions on how to live life under such traumatising conditions. You get a slice of life in there as well. The action and boss battles are awesome, as good as fairy tail some times. The only problem is that this is a short anime so some battles are quite short leaving the rest for your imagination. The shounen is clearly visible up to about episode 10.

What happens from episode 11 onwards is something highly surprising and a bit special for me... The main character starts to have a relationship with the female protagonist... Their love slowly oozes into the viewer and emotionally captivates you. See, I'm not into shoujo or romance animes nor do I do chick flicks at the cinema, so this is the 3rd time I experienced love in the form of an anime (the first was inuyasha, the second Bakuman). Suddenly, sword art online is 100% romance, with love that would give diabetes. And I'm not afraid to admit that I fell in love with them. I cried, tears of joy, tears of happiness, tears of regret, tears that show me that I'm human. The thing is, the way they fall in love and their strong bonding is so realistic... The realism combined with the music and art makes even the coldest of souls warm and get so many emotions. This is where sword art online shines. What follows from episode 11 is a love story that is almost grandiose in scale. It isn't that soppy crap that you see in the cinema. This is love that is really believable and it probably relates well with the viewer (I know I could relate to this romance). Maybe that's why I reacted in the way that I did, either way the romance becomes an integral part of SAO.

From episodes 15 onwards a new kind of story arises, I won't spoil that, this time incorporating their strong relationship. We are also introduced to a new main character. Kendo girl. Now this is where the anime really falls short. See now.. they instil questions of love and emotion that are found in relationships that the viewer wouldn't have necessarily had. I think the kendo girl should leave kirito alone, find someone her own age. The series suffers in the bad romance that takes place in the second season of SAO with an increasing number of clichés. I'm not saying I didn't find it entertaining or anything, it just didn't match the overall vibe SAO gave and I was let down by some of the cheesy direction. It could have been better. The last 2 episodes were really good, they also came with numerous questionable scenes. The boss fight was a bit of a let down on the shonen side, although seeing as though this was more of a romance now, it would probably be the ultimate boss fight for a pair of lovers. By the end and throughout. The emotions emanating through the anime infected me. Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1388086553.974580.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  30.0 KB

FINAL THOUGHTS

For me this is a very memorable anime and I believe its in my top 10 best animes ever and my personal favourite love story regardless of animation or not. I will watch this over and over again. This time I'll come prepared with a box of tissues and ice cream.

WHAT THE HECK? & QUESTIONABLE MOMENTS
    2024 and...
    They still learn kendo with wooden swords.
    Still Ride buses
    Still Have classrooms (but have virtual worlds)
    Looks a bit too similar to 2013 or 14 to me...
    Wear pretty much the same clothing as we do now (or did for the last 10 years)
    Use flip mobile phones (yep those old Samsung ones)

Main character grows slightly longer hair in 2 years, no facial hair.

Kirito gives dying support character potion to revive him, chooses to die instead and leave with a dying request.

Since when did this become a romance?

Girl strips whilst kirito stares with the expectation of him to strip as well. He clearly mentioned he just needed a place to stay the night. +points for originality in romance.

AI program is a little girl, knows all, decides to have amnesia and gets self adopted by 2 players on their holiday romance. Way to spoil it kid.

Cousin loves cousin even after knowing that Kirito has a girlfriend.

Kendo girl kicks nerds balls really hard 2x, still manages to get up.

Nerd gets poisoned by players and tells kendo girl, returns unharmed, claims that he poisoned them.

Bad guy offering 30 seconds to fight to prove worth, but ends up trying to kill hero cliché.

Main villain is a pervert cliché.

Tentacles. With some suggestive scenes.

Main Villian licks eyeball of damsel in distress. Eeuugh.

Perverted main Villian has never seen the female anatomy.

It's 2025, with bloody virtual worlds for crikeys sake! How have you not seen the female anatomy? You're a bloody pervert for Pete's sake!

Main Villian is extremely vile and disgusting, disgraces Kirito and almost kills him brutally, Kirito gives strongest weapon in game to Villian immediately afterwards.

Plot twist after plot twist after plot twist.

IF YOU LIKE THIS, THEN WATCH

Inuyasha. Now this is a classic action/romance adventure and it isn't just limited to 25 episodes... It's got 167 episodes in comparison.

Fairytail.

Bakuman. Great love story with shounen bits in the mix. The content is extremely unique. Also made by the duo that made deathnote.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GalaxygunnerX)
    Main character grows slightly longer hair in 2 years, no facial hair.
    Shounen main character... facial hair... :eyeball:

Nice review

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't such a big fan of the ending of SAO, especially well I think it was the incest thing with his sister... Great review thanks for it .
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    I've seen the description of Sword Art, really tempted to watch it next. I just finished watching Samurai Champloo, I didn't think I'd like this type of anime, especially the sword fighting. It was brilliant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eloades11)
    I've seen the description of Sword Art, really tempted to watch it next. I just finished watching Samurai Champloo, I didn't think I'd like this type of anime, especially the sword fighting. It was brilliant.
    Samurai champloo is my favourite anime ever. Nujabes may you rest in peace, you legend. I could do a review of that next since I've seen it like 15 times.

In terms of SAO, yep it's a great anime. Give it a shot.

ReputationRep:
    Wolf children looks good, getting the DVD.

ReputationRep:
    Wolf children looks good, getting the DVD.
    I've seen it and it is VERY cliche'.
    Don't expect anything unexpected (if that is possible). =l

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dilzo999)
    I wasn't such a big fan of the ending of SAO, especially well I think it was the incest thing with his sister... Great review thanks for it .
    She wasn't his sister, she was his cousin (and step-sister)...
    Although, it is perfectly legal in Japan.

ReputationRep:
    I need recommendations myself. I'm relatively new to anime and started of with Death Note which drew me in greatly, next was Attack on Titan which I must say is absolutely brilliant, the main threat the Titans are one of the most unique and horrifying monsters I have ever seen.

If it was originally western, SnK would of been a brilliant horror film. 10m zombies that can not be killed unless attacked at a certain part with permanent smiles on their faces as they eat Human's for no reason what so ever. Horror material right here. Just imagine Walking Dead with Titans instead, mental stuff.

I loved it and carried on with the manga after the show ended.

Up next was Mirai Nikki, love the twist involving Yuno, boy it started getting dark.

Recommended Dangan Ronpa which was okay, it wasn't as dark as I thought it would be, its funky to say the least. Expected Mirai Nikki 2.0, was disappointed.

Next up was Watamote. I only saw this in passing and the idea sounded good, watched it and fell in love. I love Tomoko's obnoxious behaviour and her piss poor relationship with her younger brother. You pity her yet at the same time, she brings it upon herself for her terrible behaviour. Reading the manga and the prequel manga, Tomomote and she isn't doing herself any justice in that either ha.

I started watching Elfen Lied, could not get into it as "nyu" just starts to piss me off after 5 times. Decided to move onto Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood, didn't draw me in either. Same with Durarara!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yakob)
    I need recommendations myself.
    Hmm... Try Gantz. You'll like it.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=GalaxygunnerX;45703082]
    (Original post by Yakob)
    I need recommendations myself. /QUOTE]

Hmm... Try Gantz. You'll like it.
    Anime or manga? I've noticed manga are much more better but AoT makes up for it with its soundtrack and action, which is quite hard to understand when reading.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Yakob;45703114]

Anime or manga? I've noticed manga are much more better but AoT makes up for it with its soundtrack and action, which is quite hard to understand when reading.
    Sorry for the wait... Wifi problem.

I recommend you start with the anime, by the start of the 2nd season there are 2 alternative takes that differ in the manga and the anime... The manga would be more of a complete story. A word of warning, Gantz is very dark, very mature and very gory.

Some others you may want to consider:

Berserk
    Claymore : manga for this is great. Similar to AoT.

Really when deciding to choose manga or anime it's up to you.. Trial each one... See which format suits you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yakob)
    I need recommendations myself. I'm relatively new to anime and started of with Death Note which drew me in greatly, next was Attack on Titan which I must say is absolutely brilliant, the main threat the Titans are one of the most unique and horrifying monsters I have ever seen.

If it was originally western, SnK would of been a brilliant horror film. 10m zombies that can not be killed unless attacked at a certain part with permanent smiles on their faces as they eat Human's for no reason what so ever. Horror material right here. Just imagine Walking Dead with Titans instead, mental stuff.

Up next was Mirai Nikki, love the twist involving Yuno, boy it started getting dark.

Recommended Dangan Ronpa which was okay, it wasn't as dark as I thought it would be, its funky to say the least. Expected Mirai Nikki 2.0, was disappointed.

Next up was Watamote. I only saw this in passing and the idea sounded good, watched it and fell in love. I love Tomoko's obnoxious behaviour and her piss poor relationship with her younger brother. You pity her yet at the same time, she brings it upon herself for her terrible behaviour. Reading the manga and the prequel manga, Tomomote and she isn't doing herself any justice in that either ha.

I started watching Elfen Lied, could not get into it as "nyu" just starts to piss me off after 5 times. Decided to move onto Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood, didn't draw me in either. Same with Durarara!
    Try the Higurashi universe, very good in terms of murder mystery (which looks like the thing you are looking for), is less well known than Death Note but in my opinion is on par with it, maybe even exceeding it given you have to figure it out. =l
    You *might* like monster, I won't bash it or I know AJ will bash me but you might like it. =l
    There's this one: Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc

Also, sub or dub?
    Before I continue I need to know to see if the anime has been subbed or not. =l

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scienceisgood)
    Try the Higurashi universe, very good in terms of murder mystery (which looks like the thing you are looking for), is less well known than Death Note but in my opinion is on par with it, maybe even exceeding it given you have to figure it out. =l
    You *might* like monster, I won't bash it or I know AJ will bash me but you might like it. =l

Also, sub or dub?
    Before I continue I need to know to see if the anime has been subbed or not. =l
    I watched the first episode of Monster, its not what I expected. I thought it was an anime based on this image I saw: A little girl in the rain with an umbrella in the dark with some bunny monster standing right next to her with blood all over its mouth.

Any recommendations similar to Death Note is something I would like. The premise of Death Note is too interesting too ignore, whats more scarier than a 17 year old boy who comes across a book which allows him to commit a global mass-murdering spree?

I'm still confused by the Dangan Ronpa ending.

I don't mind dub or sub.

The trouble is with anime, the art style puts me off. I tried watching Code Geass but I just get YU-GI-OH vibes. AoT, Death Note, Watamote, Mirai Nikki have nice styles. Especially AoT.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yakob)
    I watched the first episode of Monster, its not what I expected. I thought it was an anime based on this image I saw: A little girl in the rain with an umbrella in the dark with some bunny monster standing right next to her with blood all over its mouth.

Any recommendations similar to Death Note is something I would like. The premise of Death Note is too interesting too ignore, whats more scarier than a 17 year old boy who comes across a book which allows him to commit a global mass-murdering spree?

I don't mind dub or sub.

The trouble is with anime, the art style puts me off. I tried watching Code Geass but I just get YU-GI-OH vibes. AoT, Death Note, Watamote, Mirai Nikki have nice styles. Especially AoT.
    Hmm... Zombie loan is a good manga... Shinigami based.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Yakob)

That's a pretty great set of series to start off with! Based on what you've said you liked, I'd recommend any of the following:

Claymore

Welcome to the NHK

Steins;Gate

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

Shiki

Hope something there takes your interest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yakob)

I don't mind dub or sub.

I will recommend a few others outside of these genres, mostly because I find them damn funny. XD

Is This A Zombie/ Is This A Zombie? Of The Dead (Season 1 and 2 respectively, season 1 waaaay better than 2) - Is an anime series of a kid who is killed by a serial killer and is brought back to life by a necromancer, his life is then dedicated to looking after Eu and finding his killer while trying to retain his dignity as he absorbs the powers of a magical chainsaw wielding girl and resides with both the necromancer, the magical girl and starting in episode 2, a vampire ninja. XD
    Hilarious!!!

Sora No Otimoshino (English translation = Heaven's lost property)
    Tomoki Sakurai often encounters a strange girl in his dreams asking for his help, but he can't remember her face when he wakes up. When an Unidentified Mysterious Animal (U.M.A.) falls out of the sky, his life of pacifism suddenly becomes complicated. The animal turns out to be an angel, Ikaros.

Black Butler
    A story about a 10 year old boy who's parents are violently murdered and being on the brink of death, makes a pact with a demon where if he survives and finds the person responsible for the deaths of his parents and gets revenge, the demon will then get to consume his soul.
    Before I forget, don't just watch the first episode, you need to watch at least the first 2-3 to make a judgement of any anime. I usually stick with 3 before making a judgement on it, the longer ones (75+) I usually give around 7-10 episodes before making a judgement.

Gotta get going now though. =)

ReputationRep:
    Just watched episode 6 of Gantz. No way person like that bully could even exist, beating people up and taking their teeth? No possible way, out of everything I just watched, that guy was...something...

I hope that is a serious exaggeration of bullying. That's ****ing scary.

ReputationRep:
    HAPPY DAY! XD

http://www.animenewsnetwork.co.uk/ne...tarts-in-april

EDIT:
    Does this mean from the beginning though (as in complete redo which I don't think is necessary given the animation isn't dated yet...) or from where it left off?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.