The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Aiko
Definitely helps. I was trying to remember everything I had watched that stood out this year off the top of my head in my previous post and this was around three in the morning. :tongue:

I had hoped to put a bit more thought into my list, but I wanted it posted before the end of 2013, and am expecting to be without electricity for at least some of today (while somebody comes to remove this from my bedroom window :p:). I'm happy with it, though. :smile:

Original post by Aiko
The series as a whole is very much an acquired taste, I think. As you say, you either get it or you don't. As a big fan of Nisio Isin's works, I've always enjoyed watching the anime adaptations by Shaft (or White Fox for Katanagatari, hence the signature). That and Monogatari S2 really upped the ante, turning out to be easily one of the strongest showings of the year for me. It's a shame that you probably won't see it. At least, not in the foreseeable future, given your impression of the earlier seasons.

Strangely enough, I really liked Katanagatari. Less ecchi, more action and a more interesting setting than (what I've seen of) the Monogatari franchise, which admittedly isn't much. I'd always thought of myself as a huge fan of SHAFT/Shinbo too, but their more recent series have been a bit hit and miss - Didn't like Sasami-san@Ganbaranai, thought Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko was just average, and the less said about Dance in the Vampire Bund the better.

Original post by Aiko
I never did pass the first episode of Red Data Girl or Dansai Bunri no Crime Edge? Worth watching both?

Personally, I'd say no. :nah:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6241
Original post by AngryJellyfish
I had hoped to put a bit more thought into my list, but I wanted it posted before the end of 2013, and am expecting to be without electricity for at least some of today (while somebody comes to remove this from my bedroom window :p:). I'm happy with it, though. :smile:

I would love to visit your home hideout, AJ. :giggle:

On another note, I still read your blog as it's on my RSS feed, same with Cara's one. I'm just more of a lurker these days. :redface:

Strangely enough, I really liked Katanagatari. Less ecchi, more action and a more interesting setting than (what I've seen of) the Monogatari franchise, which admittedly isn't much. I'd always thought of myself as a huge fan of SHAFT/Shinbo too, but their more recent series have been a bit hit and miss - Didn't like Sasami-san@Ganbaranai, thought Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko was just average, and the less said about Dance in the Vampire Bund the better.

Yeah, Katanagatari is quite a bit different from Monogatari, putting aside the fact that it's not adapted by Shinbo/Shaft, so it's understandable that you'd prefer it. In my case, I'm more of a fan of Nisio Isin than Shaft and especially Shinbo, even though I do love their contemporary animation style and direction.

On that topic, I quite liked Denpa Onna to Seishin Otoko, even though I felt oddly depressed in a 'life is bleak' way after finishing it. :tongue: As for Sasami-san@Ganbaranai, I only saw the first episode in the end, which was nothing short of genius. Still, I can easily foresee such a potent formula becoming tiring after a few episodes.

Dance in the Vampire Bund was just, well… a disappointment.

Personally, I'd say no. :nah:

Shame, the premise on A-P looked mildly interesting for Dansai Bunri no Crime Edge. Admittedly, I can't remember much of the first episode. :tongue:
Reply 6242
Original post by Numan786
Just finishes Toradora and I have to say it was a great watch and one of the better rom coms I've seen. The story was well written and it does a good job of inducing viewers emotions but the best thing for me was the soundtrack and I mean the way they played the soundtrack with the scenes in the anime was perfect and portrayed a great sense of emotion.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, Toradora is easily one of my favourite romance series to come out in recent years, and this is coming from someone who typically favours shoujo series from the genre. As mentioned in an earlier post, Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo was a real standout for me this year and easily rivals Toradora in achieving what you've mentioned. I would definitely recommend it. :smile:
Original post by Dilzo999
Hmm, now I have an idea of who gave me Jojo's bizzare adventure (The anime and manga) as my secret santa :biggrin:.

:colone: :colone: :colone: :colone: :colone: :colone: :colondollar: :cool:
[video="youtube;K0Ghr_rbJmQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0Ghr_rbJmQ[/video]

Anyone else gonna watch?
Just finished Ano Hana, the last of several series I'd planned to marathon before the end of 2013 - reminded me a lot of Little Busters!, but way better. :yes: Didn't quite make my Top 50, but I can see why it was so highly praised in so many anime blogs a couple of years back. :smile:

Also decided what the first series I'll watch in 2014 will be - Ah! My Goddess: Flights of Fancy. Should be quite a nostalgia trip, since I watched the first series in 2007! :zomg:

[EDIT] Oh, and I'll also be resuming One Piece, marathoning the Punk Hazard Arc. :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Scienceisgood

Anyone else gonna watch?

Lets just hope it's not as bad as Alfheim Online although the trailer does look awesome :biggrin:.

Anyone else gonna watch?

You betcha! Although now that I've started reading the manga it seems like it is straying away from romance.
Reply 6248
New Identify the Anime thread (and one that AJ can participate in!):

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2552239
Well guys, since 2013 is now well and truly behind us, what was your most listened to anime op/ed (of 2013)? =l
(edited 10 years ago)
Well guys, since 2013 is now well and truly behind us, what was your most listened to anime op/ed? =l

From last year's anime, presumably? If so, probably Crowds (Gatchaman Crowds) for OP:

and Unknown Vision (Maoyuu Maou Yuusha) for ED. :smile:

My Soul, Your Beats! (Angel Beats!) :smile:

[video="youtube;zIFV8UUs1-c"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIFV8UUs1-c[/video]
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6252
Well guys, since 2013 is now well and truly behind us, what was your most listened to anime op/ed (of 2013)? =l

Definitely Bluebird from Naruto Shipudden for Opening and Attack on Titan.

Reply 6253

From 2013, in no particular order:

OPs:

EDs:

(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Aiko
Yeah, Toradora is easily one of my favourite romance series to come out in recent years, and this is coming from someone who typically favours shoujo series from the genre. As mentioned in an earlier post, Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo was a real standout for me this year and easily rivals Toradora in achieving what you've mentioned. I would definitely recommend it. :smile:

I've watched that before I watche toradora and yh it was really good too but I think the story and drama was better in toradora. Are they getting a second season with Sakurasou?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6255
I've made a start on Gatchaman Crowds and I love how gung-ho and eccentric the female lead, Hajime, is. I found her personality a bit annoying at first, but once you start to adjust to her bouts of enthusiasm and positivity, you start to see someone who is rather refreshing and potentially complex. I like that she has an artistic side too. :giggle:
Reply 6256
Original post by Numan786
I've watched that before I watche toradora and yh it was really good too but I think the story and drama was better in toradora. Are they getting a second season with Sakurasou?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, possibly. It's been a while since I've seen Toradora as I watched it when it aired.

As for whether Sakurasou will get a second season, possible but unlikely, I think. The light novel would need to progress considerably before a second season would be considered. That and the television ratings of the first season were reasonable from what I can remember, but nothing amazing. If a second season were to happen, probably not this year, but the next. That's just a wild guess, though.
Original post by Aiko
I've made a start on Gatchaman Crowds and I love how gung-ho and eccentric the female lead, Hajime, is. I found her personality a bit annoying at first, but once you start to adjust to her bouts of enthusiasm and positivity, you start to see someone who is rather refreshing and potentially complex. I like that she has an artistic side too. :giggle:

My initial reaction to Hajime was similar, but there's definitely more to her than the usual genki girl anime trope. :yes: Definitely one of the most memorable protagonists of the year for me. :biggrin:
Reply 6258
What do you guys think of NoruGami?
Just realised you meant series from 2013, not ones I watched in 2013 :colondollar:

I don't think I've actually watched any series which have aired in 2013. My backlogs too large and at the speed I watch anime I don't think I'll ever get round to doing so.

Latest