Turn on thread page Beta

The Anime Society 5: Tentacles For All! watch

• Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by AquaBubblez)
    IKR! I'm too scared to look at the manga lol Perhaps i will since i;m dying to know a lot of answers xD Who was your fav character? Mine is levi xD I also liked Annie heehee
    Probably Armin for me, I always like strategist-type characters. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryJellyfish)
    Probably Armin for me, I always like strategist-type characters. :yes:
    are you reading the manga? Apparently his character in the anime didn't do him justice, in the manga his character was more developed, and there was more on his teamwork with eren; they work well together c:
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by AquaBubblez)
    are you reading the manga? Apparently his character in the anime didn't do him justice, in the manga his character was more developed, and there was more on his teamwork with eren; they work well together c:
    Not yet, no - I've got too many other series on the go. More character development can only be a good thing, though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rothwell)
    Personally... I couldn't get past episode 2 of SnK :blush:
    haha I was the same until my bro forced me to watch the rest with him lol it gets better xD

Not yet, no - I've got too many other series on the go. More character development can only be a good thing, though!
    Yup! I'm planning to read it after my exams in Jan! Heehee, can't wait to plunge into the unknown xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rothwell)
    Well, I have episode 3 downloaded if I ever feel like trying again I just wish I weren't so picky with tropes.
    you will love it you'll get this gut feeling, it's the feeling you get when going on rollercoasters; scared to death, naah I'm kidding! Though you do get a similar feeling it's for the thrill and I hope you continue it
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    It's highly likely that a third season of Shingeki no Kyojin will happen once the manga has finished or at least has made some headway, given its overwhelming popularity. With this in mind, I didn't really consider the ending of the second season to be an actual ending. Of course, nothing has been green lit, so it could well be. Let's hope not.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Just posted my Top 12 Anime of 2013 list on my blog, if anyone's interested.
    Not a bad list at all. Many I'd feature such as Shingeki no Kyojin/Attack on Titan (naturally), Psycho Pass, Shin Sekai Yori, Chihayafuru S2, Suisei no Gargantia and Zetsuen no Tempest. I suppose I would also put Hataraku Maou-sama! in my list because it was awesome.

The only thing I can't see that really stood out in a big way, and it's probably because you haven't seen it, is Monogatari S2. It's simply brilliant. Similarly, To Aru Kagaku no Railgun S really came into its own during the sister arc, so it deserves a feature for me. Trying to think offhand…

I know you gave it an honourable mention, but a certain someone wouldn't forgive me if I didn't cite Jojo's Bizarre Adventure in my list. I'd also feature Ginga Kikoutai Majestic Prince as it turned out to be considerably better than I initially thought. Same could be said of Ars Nova. Dammit, the more I think, the more comes to me. Kyousogiga was great too. Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo was easily one of the best romance series of the year. Oh, screw it. This is precisely why I don't create lists. :sad:

Edit:

I am intrigued by how high Gatchaman Crowds is. I was meaning to watch the first episode after seeing the PV and never got around to it. It looked really stylish too. One to marathon tomorrow, I think. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aiko)
    Not a bad list at all. Many I'd feature such as Shingeki no Kyojin/Attack on Titan (naturally), Psycho Pass, Shin Sekai Yori, Chihayafuru S2, Suisei no Gargantia and Zetsuen no Tempest. I suppose I would also put Hataraku Maou-sama! in my list because it was awesome.

The only thing I can't see that really stood out in a big way, and it's probably because you haven't seen it, is Monogatari S2. It's simply brilliant. Similarly, To Aru Kagaku no Railgun S really came into its own during the sister arc, so it deserves a feature for me. Trying to think offhand…

I know you gave it an honourable mention, but a certain someone wouldn't forgive me if I didn't cite Jojo's Bizarre Adventure in my list. I'd also feature Ginga Kikoutai Majestic Prince as it turned out to be considerably better than I initially thought. Same could be said of Ars Nova. Dammit, the more I think, the more comes to me. Kyousogiga was great too. Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo was easily one of the best romance series of the year. Oh, screw it. This is precisely why I don't create lists. :sad:

Edit:

I am intrigued by how high Gatchaman Crowds is. I was meaning to watch the first episode after seeing the PV and never got around to it. It looked really stylish too. One to marathon tomorrow, I think. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple)
    Hmm, now I have an idea of who gave me Jojo's bizzare adventure (The anime and manga) as my secret santa .
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Aiko)

Fortunately, I have all the weekly rankings posts on my blog to help me narrow things down - if a show consistently featured in the Top 5 for its season, chances are it deserves to be featured in my end of year list too. :p: I don't rely purely on the statistics though, I've moved them up and down a bit based on things such as how well they ended, how much they've stuck in my mind (especially those that aired in the first half of the year) etc.

I wish I knew what it was about Bakemonogatari that I didn't like... even my rating of 2.5/5 feels generous, but I've kept it on the assumption that the show isn't bad, I just didn't 'get' it. Much in the same way that I really appreciated and probably overrate Genshiken Nidaime. :giggle: I did give Nisemonogatari's first episode a chance, but got no further, not much point forcing myself through something I know I won't like. :dontknow:

My reasons for skipping To Aru Kagaku no Railgun S were similar, if less negative - I found Index dire, and though I preferred the first series of Railgun, I wasn't exactly wowed by it either. Thought there were other more promising all-new series in the Spring season, like Red Data Girl and Dansai Bunri no Crime Edge... :erm: okay, I probably made the wrong choice there, I'll admit it. :p:

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure probably lost out due to competition in its season (Psycho-Pass, Robotics;Notes, Shin Sekai Yori etc... that was a great season!) I'm looking forward to the sequel, though. My thoughts on Kyousougiga changed on a weekly basis, but were definitely more positive than not by the end of the season. Haven't seen the others you mentioned. :no:

(Original post by Aiko)
    Edit:

Fantastic! I think you'll like it. :yes:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Fortunately, I have all the weekly rankings posts on my blog to help me narrow things down - if a show consistently featured in the Top 5 for its season, chances are it deserves to be featured in my end of year list too. :p: I don't rely purely on the statistics though, I've moved them up and down a bit based on things such as how well they ended, how much they've stuck in my mind (especially those that aired in the first half of the year) etc.
    Definitely helps. I was trying to remember everything I had watched that stood out this year off the top of my head in my previous post and this was around three in the morning.

I wish I knew what it was about Bakemonogatari that I didn't like... even my rating of 2.5/5 feels generous, but I've kept it on the assumption that the show isn't bad, I just didn't 'get' it. Much in the same way that I really appreciated and probably overrate Genshiken Nidaime. :giggle: I did give Nisemonogatari's first episode a chance, but got no further, not much point forcing myself through something I know I won't like. :dontknow:
    The series as a whole is very much an acquired taste, I think. As you say, you either get it or you don't. As a big fan of Nisio Isin's works, I've always enjoyed watching the anime adaptations by Shaft (or White Fox for Katanagatari, hence the signature). That and Monogatari S2 really upped the ante, turning out to be easily one of the strongest showings of the year for me. It's a shame that you probably won't see it. At least, not in the foreseeable future, given your impression of the earlier seasons.

My reasons for skipping To Aru Kagaku no Railgun S were similar, if less negative - I found Index dire, and though I preferred the first series of Railgun, I wasn't exactly wowed by it either. Thought there were other more promising all-new series in the Spring season, like Red Data Girl and Dansai Bunri no Crime Edge... :erm: okay, I probably made the wrong choice there, I'll admit it. :p:
    Similarly, but to a lesser extent, To Aru Kagaku no Railgun S came into its own, particularly during the sisters arc, as previously mentioned, otherwise it's unlikely it would even get a mention in any 'best of' list of mine. It helps that I like the characters too, especially Mikoto.

I never did pass the first episode of Red Data Girl or Dansai Bunri no Crime Edge? Worth watching both?

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure probably lost out due to competition in its season (Psycho-Pass, Robotics;Notes, Shin Sekai Yori etc... that was a great season!) I'm looking forward to the sequel, though. My thoughts on Kyousougiga changed on a weekly basis, but were definitely more positive than not by the end of the season. Haven't seen the others you mentioned. :no:
    Robotics;Notes is another I saw a few episodes of, but ended up stalling in favour of others. I should really get back to it.

Fantastic! I think you'll like it. :yes:
    Will watch it now.

ReputationRep:
    Just finishes Toradora and I have to say it was a great watch and one of the better rom coms I've seen. The story was well written and it does a good job of inducing viewers emotions but the best thing for me was the soundtrack and I mean the way they played the soundtrack with the scenes in the anime was perfect and portrayed a great sense of emotion.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Aiko)
    Definitely helps. I was trying to remember everything I had watched that stood out this year off the top of my head in my previous post and this was around three in the morning.
    I had hoped to put a bit more thought into my list, but I wanted it posted before the end of 2013, and am expecting to be without electricity for at least some of today (while somebody comes to remove this from my bedroom window :p:). I'm happy with it, though.

(Original post by Aiko)
    The series as a whole is very much an acquired taste, I think. As you say, you either get it or you don't. As a big fan of Nisio Isin's works, I've always enjoyed watching the anime adaptations by Shaft (or White Fox for Katanagatari, hence the signature). That and Monogatari S2 really upped the ante, turning out to be easily one of the strongest showings of the year for me. It's a shame that you probably won't see it. At least, not in the foreseeable future, given your impression of the earlier seasons.
    Strangely enough, I really liked Katanagatari. Less ecchi, more action and a more interesting setting than (what I've seen of) the Monogatari franchise, which admittedly isn't much. I'd always thought of myself as a huge fan of SHAFT/Shinbo too, but their more recent series have been a bit hit and miss - Didn't like [email protected], thought Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko was just average, and the less said about Dance in the Vampire Bund the better.

(Original post by Aiko)
    I never did pass the first episode of Red Data Girl or Dansai Bunri no Crime Edge? Worth watching both?
    Personally, I'd say no. :nah:
    Attached Images

• CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I had hoped to put a bit more thought into my list, but I wanted it posted before the end of 2013, and am expecting to be without electricity for at least some of today (while somebody comes to remove this from my bedroom window :p:). I'm happy with it, though.
    I would love to visit your home hideout, AJ. :giggle:

On another note, I still read your blog as it's on my RSS feed, same with Cara's one. I'm just more of a lurker these days.

Strangely enough, I really liked Katanagatari. Less ecchi, more action and a more interesting setting than (what I've seen of) the Monogatari franchise, which admittedly isn't much. I'd always thought of myself as a huge fan of SHAFT/Shinbo too, but their more recent series have been a bit hit and miss - Didn't like [email protected], thought Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko was just average, and the less said about Dance in the Vampire Bund the better.
    Yeah, Katanagatari is quite a bit different from Monogatari, putting aside the fact that it's not adapted by Shinbo/Shaft, so it's understandable that you'd prefer it. In my case, I'm more of a fan of Nisio Isin than Shaft and especially Shinbo, even though I do love their contemporary animation style and direction.

On that topic, I quite liked Denpa Onna to Seishin Otoko, even though I felt oddly depressed in a 'life is bleak' way after finishing it. As for [email protected], I only saw the first episode in the end, which was nothing short of genius. Still, I can easily foresee such a potent formula becoming tiring after a few episodes.

Dance in the Vampire Bund was just, well… a disappointment.

Personally, I'd say no. :nah:
    Shame, the premise on A-P looked mildly interesting for Dansai Bunri no Crime Edge. Admittedly, I can't remember much of the first episode.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Numan786)
    Just finishes Toradora and I have to say it was a great watch and one of the better rom coms I've seen. The story was well written and it does a good job of inducing viewers emotions but the best thing for me was the soundtrack and I mean the way they played the soundtrack with the scenes in the anime was perfect and portrayed a great sense of emotion.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, Toradora is easily one of my favourite romance series to come out in recent years, and this is coming from someone who typically favours shoujo series from the genre. As mentioned in an earlier post, Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo was a real standout for me this year and easily rivals Toradora in achieving what you've mentioned. I would definitely recommend it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dilzo999)
    Hmm, now I have an idea of who gave me Jojo's bizzare adventure (The anime and manga) as my secret santa .
    :cool:

ReputationRep:

Anyone else gonna watch?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Just finished Ano Hana, the last of several series I'd planned to marathon before the end of 2013 - reminded me a lot of Little Busters!, but way better. :yes: Didn't quite make my Top 50, but I can see why it was so highly praised in so many anime blogs a couple of years back.

Also decided what the first series I'll watch in 2014 will be - Ah! My Goddess: Flights of Fancy. Should be quite a nostalgia trip, since I watched the first series in 2007! :zomg:

[EDIT] Oh, and I'll also be resuming One Piece, marathoning the Punk Hazard Arc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scienceisgood)

Anyone else gonna watch?
    Lets just hope it's not as bad as Alfheim Online although the trailer does look awesome .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scienceisgood)

Anyone else gonna watch?
    You betcha! Although now that I've started reading the manga it seems like it is straying away from romance.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.