Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Anime Society 5: Tentacles For All! watch

Announcements
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by caraniel)
    Sorry I didn't mean to drop off the face of the planet again, but dear god has the new season been kicking my arse - suddenly remembered why I used to schedule a day or two off to catch up on all my first impressions posts! Think I have most of them written now thank god - tough going when I'm working longer hours these days :sigh:

I'll try to be better in the next few weeks
    Meh, I can't really comment about lack of online activity over the past week. :p: Thanks for replying so quickly, it's good to have you back!

I've got a week and a half of new anime season to catch up on now; think I'll trust my first impressions and only pick up the shows that I shortlisted in my season preview thread, as opposed to giving everything a chance like I normally would, or else I'll never catch up. :s:

I had been booking days off at the start of anime seasons myself, but didn't bother this time since I felt I'd had enough of a holiday over Christmas. Good idea in hindsight. :p: I've booked a couple of days off next week for a general anime marathon, though, in time for the 23rd (or 'X Months of Anime GET!' day). :proud:
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    :tumble: Don't tell me everyone else's internet is down now? :zomg: :p:

Here's a general update on what I am/have been reading/watching over the past couple of weeks, for anyone who cares:

One Piece - The plan was to make a good dent in the Punk Hazard arc before the new anime season really got underway, but lack of internet left me with only three episodes... that was more than enough to rekindle my interest in the series, though, so I'll likely resume it with great enthusiasm once all the Winter first eps are out of the way.

Marathoned the remainder of Beelzebub as previously mentioned, as well as Ah! My Goddess: Flights of Fancy. I wasn't sure whether I'd actually like the latter, since my taste in anime has changed A LOT since ~2007 when I watched the first series, but I guess it's a classic for a reason. :yes: Both managed to keep a smile on my face during such a dark time. :p: Replacing them on my watching list will be Dragon Drive and Mawaru Penguin Drum!

Also watched both Sol Bianca movies - decent enough, but the story was obviously meant to go on for at least one more part. I may have to check out The Legacy. :beard: Then there was Psycho Diver, which was just meh. Not good, not terrible, just moderately preferable to staring at a blank screen for 50 minutes. :giggle:

Finished Cross Game, which was just as good in manga form as I remember the anime being. Other manga titles I finished in that week and a half include FLCL (weird), What a Wonderful World (great), Shino-chan wa Jibun no Namae ga Ienai (cute) and Flower of Life (fantastic). Am also only one volume away from finishing Twin Spica - hope it ends well, as this manga is nothing short of epic so far.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryJellyfish)
    :tumble: Don't tell me everyone else's internet is down now? :zomg: :p:

Here's a general update on what I am/have been reading/watching over the past couple of weeks, for anyone who cares:

One Piece - The plan was to make a good dent in the Punk Hazard arc before the new anime season really got underway, but lack of internet left me with only three episodes... that was more than enough to rekindle my interest in the series, though, so I'll likely resume it with great enthusiasm once all the Winter first eps are out of the way.

Marathoned the remainder of Beelzebub as previously mentioned, as well as Ah! My Goddess: Flights of Fancy. I wasn't sure whether I'd actually like the latter, since my taste in anime has changed A LOT since ~2007 when I watched the first series, but I guess it's a classic for a reason. :yes: Both managed to keep a smile on my face during such a dark time. :p: Replacing them on my watching list will be Dragon Drive and Mawaru Penguin Drum!

Also watched both Sol Bianca movies - decent enough, but the story was obviously meant to go on for at least one more part. I may have to check out The Legacy. :beard: Then there was Psycho Diver, which was just meh. Not good, not terrible, just moderately preferable to staring at a blank screen for 50 minutes. :giggle:

Finished Cross Game, which was just as good in manga form as I remember the anime being. Other manga titles I finished in that week and a half include FLCL (weird), What a Wonderful World (great), Shino-chan wa Jibun no Namae ga Ienai (cute) and Flower of Life (fantastic). Am also only one volume away from finishing Twin Spica - hope it ends well, as this manga is nothing short of epic so far.
    Nope, just its exam season and until tomorrow afternoon i'm banned from anime plus I like to just read people's ramblings like your own which contain nice links to things i've never heard of
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by nixonsjellybeans)
    Nope, just its exam season and until tomorrow afternoon i'm banned from anime plus I like to just read people's ramblings like your own which contain nice links to things i've never heard of
    Glad somebody appreciates it, makes providing all those synopsis links worth the hassle. I almost always look up any title I don't recognise on A-P or MAL if it comes up in discussion here.

ReputationRep:
    New anime series for Black Butler has been green lit.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.co.uk/ne...ries-green-lit

Wonder if this will be a continuation or a reboot? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryJellyfish)
    Glad somebody appreciates it, makes providing all those synopsis links worth the hassle. I almost always look up any title I don't recognise on A-P or MAL if it comes up in discussion here.
    I do indeed. Your posts are worthwhile and detailed, I don't have the patience to link everything and go through my thought process

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scienceisgood)
    New anime series for Black Butler has been green lit.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.co.uk/ne...ries-green-lit

Wonder if this will be a continuation or a reboot? :confused:
    Wait didn't the anime end with

Spoiler:
    Show
    Ciel becoming a demon and him and Sebastien descending into the depths of hell together? How it is gonna continue? Unless more stuff happens in the manga.

Good god a live action. I hope the cast will be decent.

ReputationRep:
    latest Naruto, "Madara's" early powers awakening was so good to see :coma:

Spoiler:
    Show
    he kinda reminds me of Naruto, sounds like him too :p:

and Kakashi :poke: Rin :eek: must be a reason behind that :argh:

oh yeah him battle with Minato later on makes a little more sense now :idea:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tai Ga)
    Wait didn't the anime end with

Spoiler:
    Show
    Ciel becoming a demon and him and Sebastien descending into the depths of hell together? How it is gonna continue? Unless more stuff happens in the manga.

Good god a live action. I hope the cast will be decent.
    Yeah, I know how the series ended but in a story of angels, demons, shinigami and a whole aray of magical creatures, anything is possible if you think about it...

Although;

Spoiler:
    Show
    Sebastian is STILL Ciel's butler, so, there isn't much that can be done with respect to Sebastian ending his contract, but, perhaps where Ciel still has a soul (albeit a demon soul), he can still become human?

ReputationRep:
    On my last season catch up i've just finished Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio Ars Nova. Turned out to be pretty good overall despite me going into it not knowing what to expect, the series didn't pan out as expected but still it finished well

Next up Coppelion or Little Busters Refrain!

EDIT: I watched Little Busters as it turns out and boy that took me for a good ride. It continued to impress, even more so after the plot was revealed and it all slotted together neatly in my head (for once!). But jesus the series wasn't half dark considering it was a VN made by Key, so mysterious as well :ninja: All in all i'm satisfied with the job J.C. Staff did despite the average to poor first season that created a detailed back story for the real story in the second season that was shorter (25? episodes for first season, only 13 for second). Would have been interesting to see somebody else have a crack at it though, say KyoAni who perfected Key VNs.

Alas still my favourite thing of the season (unless coppelion can pull something out of the bag in the last five episodes to match it- which I doubt!) and one happy chappy

EDIT 2:Although after reading some reviews JC removed potentially some of the most powerful scenes of the VN and chose a different route instead... shame really, I feel a bit let down after reading what could have happened.

ReputationRep:
    Coppelion is all done now so I believe I can crack on with the new season...

Coppelion however was rather a bit meh. To summarise it as one review said 'It's a melodramatic sci-fi story about these girls who won't die on radiation unlike all the other people in the world. These people are of course saints, and we get to see missions where our three radiation immune saints save people from radiation while crying. By three radiation immune saints saving people, I mean our main girl, Ibarawhatever, saving people while the other two watch. Alternatively watch and cry.'

There is pretty much one character throughout the series with the others doing minor rubbish. The first two episodes had me on the edge of my seat with mystery but then the plot pretty much went to pot. Alas it wasn't a total waste of my time I guess

ReputationRep:
    :woo: I am finally finished watching and writing knee-jerk reactions for ALL THE ANIME! for the winter season.....actually much less I'm hyped about than I was expecting and as such I haven't a fecking notion what to blog this season. Which is irritating since I'm struggling with Samurai Flamenco since it has gone full Tokusatsu now :sigh:

At the moment I'm keeping:
    Buddy Complex - because I need some Stupid Sunrise Mecha in my life at all times
    D-Frag! - surprisingly high energy and fun if rather light on substance
    Hamatora - hello my multi-coloured bishie series of the season
    Hozuki no Reitetsu - quite niche with its Japanese hell theme, but wonderfully written
    Nobunaga The Fool - disappointing so far but I'm holding out for some Kawamori mentalness....and also because seiyuu
    Nobunagun - great when it is being mental, not so much when being s'life
    Noragami - so pretty!
    Pupa - again disappointing given its ludicrously short run time, but has potential
    Silver Spoon 2 - hitting all the right notes with its signature charm and wit, love this show
    Space Dandy - is a Dandy in the Space....I can't not watch the latest Watanabe offering!
    Strange+ - high energy shorts about solving random mysteries. Haven't a clue what's going on, but it is fun
    Tonari no Seki-kun - making procrastination into an artform. Also neurotic HanaKana is always a winner
    Wizard Barristers - has Wakamoto voicing a frog. I need not say more.
    Sekai Seifuku - Intriguing set up with its cartoonish evil organisation, first episode really interested me

So quite a lot....expect to drop a few things in the next two weeks though, usually do.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by caraniel)
    :woo: I am finally finished watching and writing knee-jerk reactions for ALL THE ANIME! for the winter season.....
    Your impressions are surprisingly positive! I jest.

There's nothing from this season that stands out for me yet, but there's definitely more than a few that have potential.

Starting with what you're keeping on:

I'm keeping on Buddy Complex for the same reason as you. Sunrise doing what they do best, however unoriginal. You know what you're getting yourself into with this one and the time travel element is at least intriguing.

As a rabid Quake Live player, the name D-Frag made me smile. That aside, this was surprisingly better than I was expecting. As you've said, it's light on substance, but it made me smile more than once, which warrants keeping it on.

Hamatoro was alright. I liked the character designs; all of them were varied and stylish. My main concern is that this'll become an episodic 'mission of the week' type series, rather than a plot that's ongoing. Let's hope not.

I haven't seen Hozuki no Reitetsu yet, but I will do this weekend.

Nobunaga The Fool
    was a bit lacklustre, I agree. The main character with his multicoloured hair made me laugh. I can never take protagonists with hair like this seriously. In comparison with the other Sengoku referenced series this season, this one has arguably more potential. As you've said, the seiyuu onboard and the animation are both nice. Keeping it on for now.

I have yet to see Noragami, despite downloading it sometime back. Will watch it after this post (that's a lie, I plan to watch the latest episode of Strike the Blood first, then I'll get to this).

I haven't seen Pupa and probably won't. Nothing against it, I just can't be bothered to pick up a short five minute per episode anime right now. Might marathon the lot once it finishes.

Haven't seen the first season of Silver Spoon, so I've left this one out.

Unfortunately, I haven't fallen in love with Space Dandy yet, but I'm hoping to. Obviously, I'm keeping it on due to the director and studio behind it.

Same reason as Pupa, I won't be watching Stange+ because it's a short episode anime.

Funnily enough, I did catch the first episode of Tonari no Seki-kun, and it did amuse me. Definitely something to marathon once it finishes.

Wizard Barristers 's opening scene was really impressive with the train. I think the plot has potential, but like with Hamatora, I'm hoping this won't become a 'mission of the week' type series. Wakamoto voicing a frog was amusing. He does suit more dominant/powerful characters, though. I doubt the frog will utilise his voice to its fullest extent. :giggle:

Sekai Seifuku was enjoyable enough, even though I'm getting a bit tired of the know-it-all loli type characters. I'll give it a few episodes before determining whether I'll keep it on.

Right, moving onto the other anime I've seen from the season.

Engaged to the Unidentified was a pleasant surprise. It's very much like D-Frag in that it made me smile more than once. The loli character, Mashiro, was an absolute standout. The transition from maturity beyond her years (quite considerably) to childishness was very amusing. The other characters can't really compete, but inevitably there will be some chemistry/romance progressing with Kobeni and Hakuya, which will be nice to see. The latter's silent demeanour is a bit funny in its own right too.

The Pilot's Love Song
    reminded me of Allison & Lillia. The animation has a slightly dated feel, but not in a bad way. I'll probably keep this one on. I liked how the male lead met his love prospect early on. The scene in the lake was beautifully done. It's a rarity in anime to see such a genuine depiction of 'love at first sight' like it was done here.

Nobunagun was hilarious. The main character is very endearing and likeable because she's a loner that doesn't dwell on it, but seems to make the most of her situation in a positive way. Without spoiling, the transformation at the end was hilarious. Keeping this on for now.

ImoCho
    , as mentioned previously in this thread, was enjoyable enough. I know many people can't tolerate this, and undoubtably this'll become my guilty pleasure of the season by a long shot, but I do find this shallow and cringe worthy anime fun to watch. :giggle:

Witch Craft Works is clearly nothing special, and if it weren't for ImoCho, could easily be my guilty pleasure for this season. It's just easy viewing. No intricate multilayered plot or characterisation to digest.

Chuunibyou S2 is what you'd expect, more antics from our mostly delusional cast. Their interactions are really amusing, and I do love KyoAni's animation. Their movements are subtle and fluid, and the character design is so cute. Definitely keeping this on.

Nisekoi was very fun to watch, in all its Shaft/Shinbo goodness. The premise is hardly original, but the portrayal of it made up for it. My friend Rika has told me that the manga takes a nose dive, a la Bleach style, later on, so I'm hoping Shinbo and Shaft will be able correct this for the adaptation. Definitely keeping this on for now.

Mahou Sensou seems to be a distinctly average action series, but like with Strike the Blood from the last season, may end up being enjoyable enough. Keeping it on for now.

Saki
    is Saki and I'll definitely be watching this. Admittedly, I'm more keen to find out why Saki and Teru's relationship is strained, but after researching into this, it would appear that it hasn't even been revealed in the manga yet, as far as I can see. And given that it's now focusing on Kiyosumi's half of the tournament, I doubt we'll even see Teru much, if at all. Still, as someone who plays Mahjong on occasion online, I do enjoy watching the overly dramatic representation of it here. The girls are cute too, which is a bonus.

Edit: Not sure if I've left anything out, but I think it's time to hold off for now. This post has become an essay.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    I'm still playing catch up with first episodes, and that's after narrowing things down to just the series I shortlisted in my preview thread. :s: As much as I'd like to give everything a chance, I just don't have time... Grateful as I am to have the internet back, the start of a busy working week when I'd agreed to have a non-anime-fan friend over at the weekend wasn't ideal timing. :no: :p:

Keeping on so far:

Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shítai! Ren - Pretty standard re-introductory episode, should be great once it gets going.

Hamatora - Decent character designs, plenty of style.

Hozuki no Reitetsu - Fantastic. Definitely my favourite first episode so far!

Love Song of a Certain Pilot - Aviation, a refreshingly different boy meets girl encounter, and intriguing hints at a deeper plot.

Nobunaga the Fool - Straying slightly into guilty pleasure territory, but it should be great fun if nothing else.

Nobunagun - Probably the weakest first episode out of those I've watched, but the premise is great, so it stays. Liked the annotations. :giggle:

Wizard Barristers - Benmashi Cecil - Wakamoto Frog. Had some other good points, but they pale in comparison.

Figure there's a pretty good chance the final two spaces will go to Gin no Saji S2 and Space Dandy, so unless I say otherwise, consider the above to be my watching list for the season.

ReputationRep:
    Anybody watched Toshokan Sensou?
    The synopsis sounded sounded pretty unique so might give it a go in my spare time.

ReputationRep:
    Cant say Im all that into this punk hazard arc of One piece.:huff: Im at ep 604 now.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    The switched body stuff was a good laugh. But Ceasar Clown .. which just sounded like she the clown, just comes accross as a rather dull pantomine villian like in filler or very early on in the series. Also his "laugh" is irritating.:dry: I think this is the only proper series arc Ive not cared about. Not all that much has really happened aside from some running around in the snow and franky flying around powered by his own rear.:mmm:

But other arcs have been slow to get going so Ill see how this finishes before proclaiming it to be worse than the dragon arc or something. (Its not going to be worse than the dragon arc.:mmm:)

Actually I changed my mind, its had quite a few more amusing scenes, like luffy's escape from the cage and his attempt at following Laws plan..:mmm:

In other news hajime no Ippo and Hunter x Hunter continue to keep my interest.:teeth:

There was a time when I watched more than a few shonen series.:hmmmm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nixonsjellybeans)
    Anybody watched Toshokan Sensou?
    The synopsis sounded sounded pretty unique so might give it a go in my spare time.
    I dimly remember watching half of it when it was airing, and I didn't stop watching it in disgust or anything—just time pressure, from what I recall. I say give it a try.

ReputationRep:
    Ive been watching for less than 5 mins but this fishing ep of Hajime no Ippo is utterly hilarious. :mmm: The facial expressions are brilliant.:rofl:

...bah I was hoping the whole ep was going to be this fishing trip.

ReputationRep:
    Nourin has made me want to watch Gin no Saji purely for the agricultural beeswax involved

ReputationRep:
    Know what I seen/watching still over 114 animes and I'm still updating the list... So here the list so far enjoy reading a bunch of animes =3 ps. The ones with hearts next to them are animes I enjoy a lot the more hearts the more I like it.
    List of animes that I've seen/watching (still being updated)
    1.Shingeki no Kyojin ♥♥♥
    2.Karneval ♥
    3.Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
    4.Sword art online ♥♥
    5.Bleach
    6.Zero no Tsukaima
    7,Naruto Shippuden
    8.Hellsing
    9.Dragon ball
    10.Dragon ball Z
    11.Dragon ball GT
    12.Pyscho-pass
    13.Full metal Alchemist
    14.Highschool of the dead
    15.Angel Beats ♥
    16.Mirai Nikki ♥
    17.Beelzebub (never finished)
    18.Naruto
    19.Black Butler season 1 and 2. ♥♥♥
    20. K project ♥
    21.Fate/zero
    22.Brave 10
    23.Eden of the East
    24.Soul eater
    25.Zombie-Loan ♥
    26.Code Geass (seen all seasons)
    27.Shakugan no Shana
    28.Ichiban Ushiro no Daimaou
    29.Toshokan Sensou
    30. D.Gray-Man
    31.Valkyria Chronicles ♥♥
    32.07-Ghost
    33.Loveless
    34.No.6
    35.Casshern Sins
    36.Hakuouki (all seasons) ♥♥♥
    37.D.N. Angel
    38.Chrono Crusade
    39.Elfen Lied
    40.Macross Frontier (all seasons) ♥
    41.GetBackers
    42.Blood+
    43.Persona: Trinity Soul
    44.Ixion Sage DT
    45. Powerpuff Girls Z
    46.Cuticle Tantei Inaba ♥
    47.Star Driver:
    48.Mahou Sensei Negima! ♥
    49.Spice and Wolf
    50.Pandora Hearts
    51.CardCaptor Sakura ♥
    52. Black Cat
    53. Letter Bee
    54. Rozen Maiden
    55.Tsubasa Chronicle: (all seasons) ♥
    56.Sailor Moon (all seasons)
    57.Tales of the Abyss
    58. Hatenkou Yuugi
    (Comdey)
    59.Shugo Chara! (All seasons) ♥♥
    60.Junjou Romantica (all seasons)
    61.The "Hentai" Prince and the Stony Cat ♥
    62.Kamisama Hajimema****a ♥♥♥
    63,Uta no Prince Sama (all seasons) ♥♥♥
    64.Hetalia ♥
    65.Kiss X Sis
    66.Rosario+Vampire
    67,Gakuen Alice
    68.Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun
    69.Gravitation
    70.Detective Conan
    71.Fruits Basket ♥
    72.Kaichou wa Maid-sama! ♥♥
    73.Toradora!
    74.Kuroko no Basket
    75.Inu x Boku SS
    76.Higurashi no koro ni (all seasons)
    77.Chobits
    78, Itazura na Kiss
    79.Neo Angelique Abyss
    80.Fushigiboshi no Futagohime (all seasons)
    81.Gakuen Heaven
    82.Special A ♥
    83.Princess Princess
    84.Skip Beat! ♥
    85.Shuffle!
    86.Ghost Hunt
    87.Hachimitsu to Clover
    88.Arakawa Under the Bridge
    89.Black Blood Brothers
    90.Chibi Vampire Karin
    91.Futari wa Precure
    92.Clannad
    93.La Corda D'Oro (seasons 1 and 2) ♥♥
    94.Azumanga Daioh
    95.Hanamaru Youchien
    96.Kimi to Boku
    97.Ouran High School Host Club ♥♥♥
    98.Nodame Cantabile ♥
    99.Lucky Star ♥
    100.Sekaiichi Hatsukoi ♥♥
    101. Full Moon wo Saga****e
    102. Kobato. ♥♥♥
    103. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya.
    104. Pita Ten
    105. Recorder to Randoseru Do
    106.Princess Tutu
    107. Magi: The Kingdom of magic (season 1 and 2) ♥♥
    108: Strike the blood:
    109: Daibolik Lovers
    110: Kuroko No Baske ♥
    111: Infinite Stratos
    112: Naruto Spin-off:
    113: Corpse party
    114: Code:Breaker ♥♥♥

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.