Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Scienceisgood)
    Aj, just thinking but, i know you have this thing about only reading completed manga (you hate cliff hangers or something?) but have you started reading any of the long running series (bleach, one piece, Naruto, fairy tail, attack on titan etc...?) at all?
    Nah, it's nothing to do with cliffhangers - I watch ongoing anime, and am collecting 15 ongoing manga series too, though I'm waiting on English published volumes as opposed to scanlators. I count myself lucky to get one new volume a year for a lot of those... and I don't really want to add to the backlog, hence why I'm looking for series I can read straight through from start to finish.

To answer your question, I was always put off by the length of the long running shounen series when it came to buying, simply because of shelf space (and that was 6-7 years ago, they're a lot longer now!) The longest series I own are Negima!, which was only on about 10 volumes when I started it, and Rave Master, because a friend gave me over half the series for free. I'd consider them in e-book form, and had actually been considering Attack on Titan or Fairy Tail to replace Psyren (since Viz only have three more volumes to publish).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryJellyfish)
    :tumble:

I'm in need of some manga recommendations once again, please. :puppyeyes: This time either unlicensed series that are available scanlated, or licensed series that are available to buy as e-books in the UK. Preferably complete series too (finished in Japan AND fully translated). Aside from those specifications, any series of any length or genre is fine, and would be greatly appreciated.

So far everything I've bought for Kindle has been from emanga.com, which is cheap, but very difficult to just browse through (the tags suck). Aside from Give my Regards to Black Jack and Earthian, most of the titles on there that have caught my interest are 1-2 volumes long, so I'll be out of ideas soon. As for Amazon's Kindle store, I found out they offered free previews, so had a look at House of Five Leaves. Great file quality, and I liked the anime, so I'll likely start that soon.

With regards to scanlations... I haven't a clue where to start, there are so many titles out there. :p: For some reason I've nervously stuck to artists I know, using it as an excuse to read any of their works that haven't been translated (Boukun Tyrano-san, Shino-chan and Hikari no Machi being a few examples), but I'll run out of those as well if I keep up my current pace. So yeah, feel free to treat me as a complete n00b when making suggestions, as if they're not published in English or adapted into anime then I likely won't have heard of them. :o:
    While I'd like to give you some recs I'm a bit of a disaster when it comes to knowing what's licensed, since I've taken to avoiding looking at what's available to buy in an attempt to stem my impulse to spend money......that and the fact that the majority of the manga I read seems to BL these days....which I doubt you'd be interested in

I can give general recs though~!
    Bloody Monday
    Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer
    High School Debut
    Magico
    Monochrome Factor
    Nineteen, Twenty-One
    Prunus Girl
    Rurouni Kenshin

All are fully scanlated at least - clueless about the licensing for most to be honest
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by caraniel)
    While I'd like to give you some recs I'm a bit of a disaster when it comes to knowing what's licensed, since I've taken to avoiding looking at what's available to buy in an attempt to stem my impulse to spend money......that and the fact that the majority of the manga I read seems to BL these days....which I doubt you'd be interested in

I can give general recs though~!
    Bloody Monday
    Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer
    High School Debut
    Magico
    Monochrome Factor
    Nineteen, Twenty-One
    Prunus Girl
    Rurouni Kenshin

All are fully scanlated at least - clueless about the licensing for most to be honest
    Meh, one of the first titles I downloaded for Kindle was Love Neco, and I also bought the first two volumes of Earthian a few days ago. :p: Chances are the BL will keep on racking up if emanga remains one of the only sites to cater to the UK market, since they don't offer much else. :giggle:

As for those you've suggested:

Bloody Monday - Available for Kindle on Amazon. PERFECT.

Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer - Seven Seas just got that.

High School Debut - Viz have it, but it's region restricted. :s: I might treat such titles in the same way I treat R1 licensed anime and download it anyway, but the fact I could just buy it in print will weigh heavily on my mind...

Magico - One for the scanlation list, cheers!

Monochrome Factor - License died with Tokyopop, followed by JManga, so all's good.

Nineteen, Twenty-One - This one's short, sounds interesting though. Plus I need to check out more Manhwa.

Prunus Girl - Ah yes, this was very much on my radar already...

Rurouni Kenshin - Also available on Kindle! Loved the anime, so this will now be high on my list. :yes:

Many thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Meh, one of the first titles I downloaded for Kindle was Love Neco, and I also bought the first two volumes of Earthian a few days ago. :p: Chances are the BL will keep on racking up if emanga remains one of the only sites to cater to the UK market, since they don't offer much else. :giggle:

High School Debut - Viz have it, but it's region restricted. :s: I might treat such titles in the same way I treat R1 licensed anime and download it anyway, but the fact I could just buy it in print will weigh heavily on my mind...

Monochrome Factor - License died with Tokyopop, followed by JManga, so all's good.

Nineteen, Twenty-One - This one's short, sounds interesting though. Plus I need to check out more Manhwa.

Rurouni Kenshin - Also available on Kindle! Loved the anime, so this will now be high on my list. :yes:

Many thanks!
    I am starting to think if you had a big enough house, you could make a library room for manga alone...
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Scienceisgood)
    I am starting to think if you had a big enough house, you could make a library room for manga alone...
    That would be my ideal home! Though reality is usually more harsh - a couple of my friends have sold parts of their anime and manga collections over the past year to raise money/clear space when moving to their own homes... I just hope I'm never faced with the same situation. :zomg:

ReputationRep:

Many thanks!
    I should really up my manga intake - mostly stick to my long-running series and pick up some smutty BL or fluffy shoujo one-shots whenever I have some free time. Been pondering picking up Attack on Titan, but think I'll wait for the inevitable second season of the anime - it's just so visually dynamic I think it works better animated.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    I should really up my manga intake - mostly stick to my long-running series and pick up some smutty BL or fluffy shoujo one-shots whenever I have some free time. Been pondering picking up Attack on Titan, but think I'll wait for the inevitable second season of the anime - it's just so visually dynamic I think it works better animated.
    I've somehow managed to read one volume of manga a day since the start of the year... don't think I can keep that up forever, though. :p:

ReputationRep:
    I've somehow managed to read one volume of manga a day since the start of the year... don't think I can keep that up forever, though. :p:
    You mad, mad person you......although saying that I went though a couple of months last year where I read a novel a week so I can completely get how you've managed that.

It has been quite a long time since I marathoned a manga series though....a few of my long running series have just finished so I should really replace them with something. But at the moment I'm on another One Piece binge which is eating up all my time.

Speaking of which.....anyone know when the Punk Hazard arc ends?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Speaking of which.....anyone know when the Punk Hazard arc ends?
    In the manga? *wikis* Chapter 699. :yes: I'm currently working my way through the anime adaptation of the arc, myself, just passed the 600 ep mark. :zomg:

Finished Gisou Honey Trap... had all the right tags, but the pacing and ending were both meh. Will be starting Magico next!

ReputationRep:
    In the manga? *wikis* Chapter 699. :yes: I'm currently working my way through the anime adaptation of the arc, myself, just passed the 600 ep mark. :zomg:

Finished Gisou Honey Trap... had all the right tags, but the pacing and ending were both meh. Will be starting Magico next!
    Nah the anime - One Piece is the only one I'm not following of the "big three" shounen manga. I've just watched ep600 myself - wondering if I'm going to catch up to broadcast if the Punk Hazard arc isn't actually over yet....don't really want to be watching One Piece weekly since I vastly prefer to marathon it every 6 months or so.

ReputationRep:
    I've heard good things about the series "Planetes".

Just out of interest, is it worth watching?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Nah the anime - One Piece is the only one I'm not following of the "big three" shounen manga. I've just watched ep600 myself - wondering if I'm going to catch up to broadcast if the Punk Hazard arc isn't actually over yet....don't really want to be watching One Piece weekly since I vastly prefer to marathon it every 6 months or so.
    In that case, it's episode 625. :yes: I only marathon complete arcs myself, so I didn't watch it for a year!
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by ThisIsn'tSpam)

Definitely, in my opinion. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThisIsn'tSpam)

It's pretty fun. Unusually hard science fiction but also pretty decent office romantic comedy, with a serious turn as it ends. Not going to be absolutely everyone's cup of tea but I and most people I know who've watched it enjoyed it.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, anime blu-ray and dvd releases in the UK for the second quarter of 2014 have been released for Manga UK, now THIS looks promising compared to the first quarter:

http://animeblurayuk.wordpress.com/2...the-hut-group/

ReputationRep:
    Definitely, in my opinion. :yes:
    (Original post by QHF)
    It's pretty fun. Unusually hard science fiction but also pretty decent office romantic comedy, with a serious turn as it ends. Not going to be absolutely everyone's cup of tea but I and most people I know who've watched it enjoyed it.
    Thankfully I like office comedy.
    I'll be sure to check it out!
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader

Started Earthian, really liked the first volume, and just bought volumes three and four from emanga! Though if you believe DMP's erratic tag choices (which I tend not to), it turns into a completely different series at this midway point, going from 'Action, Romance, Sci-fi, Shonen' to 'Dram​a, Sci-fi, Supernatural, Yaoi'. :p: *REALLY wouldn't call it sci-fi, based on the one volume he's read* Also read volume 1 of Magico! Many thanks once again for the recommendation, Cara, this one's off to a great start.

I'm hoping to sort out my travel arrangements this weekend, ready for next month's Telford expo - I usually stay at Aber and catch the train from there since it's easier, but with the Cambrian Railway destroyed by last month's (:zomg: it's February already) floods, it's now pretty much my only option. Anyone else planning on going?

ReputationRep:
    Noragami OP is so addictive :awesome:

and is it just me but does the nobunagun op animation not suit the music :teehee:

ReputationRep:

Started Earthian, really liked the first volume, and just bought volumes three and four from emanga! Though if you believe DMP's erratic tag choices (which I tend not to), it turns into a completely different series at this midway point, going from 'Action, Romance, Sci-fi, Shonen' to 'Dram​a, Sci-fi, Supernatural, Yaoi'. :p: *REALLY wouldn't call it sci-fi, based on the one volume he's read* Also read volume 1 of Magico! Many thanks once again for the recommendation, Cara, this one's off to a great start.

I'm hoping to sort out my travel arrangements this weekend, ready for next month's Telford expo - I usually stay at Aber and catch the train from there since it's easier, but with the Cambrian Railway destroyed by last month's (:zomg: it's February already) floods, it's now pretty much my only option. Anyone else planning on going?
    Earthian is certainly shounen-ai, not really sci-fi though. Can't actually remember much about it to be honest - I read it some time in the last year or so after watching the anime adaptation.

Magico is a fun wee series - quite short in the grand scheme of shounen manga series, but I really enjoyed reading it - was one of my weeklies.

(Original post by Tai Ga)
    Noragami OP is so addictive :awesome:

and is it just me but does the nobunagun op animation not suit the music :teehee:
    I've been looping the Noragami OP for the past week - full version is great. That show is criminally pretty, I'm really loving it.

Nobunagun OP is just every anime OP ever with a different colour scheme and some bad metal fired over the top. Quickly starting to get bored with the show - it could have been interesting but the execution is all over the place and the characters are bland. Art direction is probably the best thing about it.

ReputationRep:

I might go.:beard: Never been to the telford one. But I cant go to Londons anymore since its always way way overcrowded. :dry:

It's not too far for me and I think travel and everything else was alot cheaper than getting to london.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.