Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Anime Society 5: Tentacles For All! watch

• Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Yuuki)
    I won't have time for anime over the next two months but any recommendations for the summer? I want some anime to look forward to :p:

My favourites so far have been FMA, fate zero, attack on titan & tengen toppen gurren lagann.
    Guessing you're after complete series? If so, I'd suggest Mirai Nikki, Shiki, Chrno Crusade or Last Exile. :yes: Also Kill La Kill, one of the highlights of the current season which should be finished in two months time. Very reminiscent of Gurren Lagann.

*tries to imagine two months without anime*

*:bawling:*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yuuki)
    I won't have time for anime over the next two months but any recommendations for the summer? I want some anime to look forward to :p:

My favourites so far have been FMA, fate zero, attack on titan & tengen toppen gurren lagann.
    A good comedy is Binbō-gami ga!

In short, a 16 year old girl has HEAPS of good fortune coming her way, however, since it is a form of energy, it isn't created, instead it is absorbed from people around her making other people's lives miserable.
    So, a God of Misfortune is sent to her to try and take her's away (in mostly very painful ways i.e. syringes, dogs biting her etc... mostly due to jealousy of the "watermelons" in her sweater.)

As the series progresses, she learns she doesn't need all her money, popularity with the guys and intelligence to be happy, however, she has basically built a wall around her to prevent her getting close to anyone (for reasons I will not mention).

Funny clip from the anime:

Is not particularly long and you could marathon it in a day (13 episodes long)

ReputationRep:
    hi I'm a newbie to the soc nice to meet y'all
    Im currently reading maid sama Im into josei and shoujo but only read completed serieses
    any suggestions would be appreciated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flou_fboco2)
    Im currently reading maid sama Im into josei and shoujo but only read completed serieses
    Are you a sub or dub person?
    Makes it a little easier given, if you get given a suggestion of, say this season's animes and they are VERY unlikely to be dubbed into English.
    The only exception I can think of is Space Dandy which actually premiered in English dub in the US the day before it premiered in Japan. =l

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scienceisgood)
    Are you a sub or dub person?
    Makes it a little easier given, if you get given a suggestion of, say this season's animes and they are VERY unlikely to be dubbed into English.
    The only exception I can think of is Space Dandy which actually premiered in English dub in the US the day before it premiered in Japan. =l
    i dnt really mind whether its sub or dub thanx for the suggestions
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    As I said in the chat thread, welcome to the society!

I've read a few Josei and Shoujo manga, and I also love complete series since I can read them from beginning to end as quickly or slowly as I want to. :yes: As for recommendations, I'd suggest any of the following:

X-Day - Short, but fantastic.

After School Nightmare - From the same author as X-Day, but much longer. The two share a lot of themes.

Flower of Life - One of the best slice of life series I've ever read.

RG Veda - Oldschool CLAMP classic.

Earthian - I'm only two volumes in so far, but I'd recommend it based on those alone.

Hope something there catches your interest; if not, I'm sure there are plenty of people here who've read more than me and can offer better suggestions.

ReputationRep:
    i dnt really mind whether its sub or dub thanx for the suggestions
    Alright, now I know you don't mind sub or dub, which genres are you into?

Comedy
    Action
    Detective
    etc...

EDIT:
    Also, I didn't really suggest Space Dandy, it was just an example of an anime which premiered in a country outside of Japan first. =l

ReputationRep:
    I've noted down a few series over time that I've either liked the sound of or have been recommended to me and I plan to watch them in the summer. If anyone has any spoiler-free points to make on them - i.e. something that might make me watch that one first, or maybe not watch it at all - then that would be nice!

Beserk - This is quite an old one, I noticed. Dunno if that matters!
    Danganronpa
    From The New World
    Hellsing Ultimate
    Hunter x Hunter (2011)
    Stein's Gate - Probably needs no review, it's one of those ones that everyone seems to love.
    Sword Art Online - I heard this starts amazing and then series 2 isn't great.
    Toradora

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xDave-)
    I've noted down a few series over time that I've either liked the sound of or have been recommended to me and I plan to watch them in the summer. If anyone has any spoiler-free points to make on them - i.e. something that might make me watch that one first, or maybe not watch it at all - then that would be nice!

Danganronpa
    From The New World
    Hellsing Ultimate
    Hunter x Hunter (2011)
    Stein's Gate - Probably needs no review, it's one of those ones that everyone seems to love.
    Toradora
    Sword Art Online IMO was overhyped.
    Attack On Titan's hype though was certainly justified.

ReputationRep:
    A good comedy is Binbō-gami ga!

In short, a 16 year old girl has HEAPS of good fortune coming her way, however, since it is a form of energy, it isn't created, instead it is absorbed from people around her making other people's lives miserable.
    So, a God of Misfortune is sent to her to try and take her's away (in mostly very painful ways i.e. syringes, dogs biting her etc... mostly due to jealousy of the "watermelons" in her sweater.)

As the series progresses, she learns she doesn't need all her money, popularity with the guys and intelligence to be happy, however, she has basically built a wall around her to prevent her getting close to anyone (for reasons I will not mention).

Funny clip from the anime:

Is not particularly long and you could marathon it in a day (13 episodes long)
    Sounds like an anime with a lot of fun, will add it to my list :-)

(Original post by AngryJellyfish)
    Guessing you're after complete series? If so, I'd suggest Mirai Nikki, Shiki, Chrno Crusade or Last Exile. :yes: Also Kill La Kill, one of the highlights of the current season which should be finished in two months time. Very reminiscent of Gurren Lagann.

*tries to imagine two months without anime*

*:bawling:*
    Haha, I don't have much free time at all so the months pass by. I haven't watched anything since Blue exorcist and that was in summer :p:

Thanks for the suggestions

(Original post by LadyUchiha)
    I've just started watching Nobunaga the fool - A big massive clash with people from history. Come on, it's got Leonardo Da vinci and Julius Ceaser - but they're like the supporting roles!

I like Buddy Complex too. I didn't think I'd enjoy it but at the end of the second episode, I'm hooked
    Sounds interesting, will look it up. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Sword Art Online IMO was overhyped.
    Yeah, I've heard that a few times. Hard to tell which side is right though.

Attack On Titan's hype though was certainly justified.
    Hah, indeed! I would love to watch more of that, but sadly that doesn't seem like it'll happen any time soon. I'd read the manga, but I read the chapters I'd seen in the show and I didn't feel like it worked as well drawn as it did animated, so I'm enduring the long wait for more episodes :emo:

ReputationRep:
    Alright, now I know you don't mind sub or dub, which genres are you into?

Comedy
    Action
    Detective
    etc...

EDIT:
    Also, I didn't really suggest Space Dandy, it was just an example of an anime which premiered in a country outside of Japan first. =l
    again i dnt mind in particular but would most likely enjoy things that have a bit of romance

ReputationRep:
    As I said in the chat thread, welcome to the society!

I've read a few Josei and Shoujo manga, and I also love complete series since I can read them from beginning to end as quickly or slowly as I want to. :yes: As for recommendations, I'd suggest any of the following:

X-Day - Short, but fantastic.

After School Nightmare - From the same author as X-Day, but much longer. The two share a lot of themes.

Flower of Life - One of the best slice of life series I've ever read.

RG Veda - Oldschool CLAMP classic.

Earthian - I'm only two volumes in so far, but I'd recommend it based on those alone.

Hope something there catches your interest; if not, I'm sure there are plenty of people here who've read more than me and can offer better suggestions.
    thanx
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    I'll have a go, bear in mind these are just my thoughts on the series, however.

Beserk - Very dark, very violent, but very good. It is older, but has decent animation for the late 90s. Or you could check out the newer movie remakes if you'd prefer (I should probably get around to those myself).

Danganronpa - One of the weirder survival game series out there. I quite liked it.

From The New World - Slow to start, but worth it. Very good at building up a creepy atmosphere. Easily one of my favourite series of last year.

Hellsing Ultimate - Haven't watched it, but I've heard only good things.

Hunter x Hunter (2011) - For me, certainly one of the highlights of every week at the moment. The current Chimera Ant arc is spectacular.

Stein's;Gate - Needs no review. It is as awesome as you've heard. :yes:

Sword Art Online - Generic characters, and the second half is a bit of a mess. Very nice animation, though.

Toradora - One of the better romantic comedies I've watched.

...reading that back, I've praised everything (besides SAO) so highly that I doubt it'd help anyone decide what to watch first. :o: Personally though, I'd start with Steins;Gate or From the New World. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    ...reading that back, I've praised everything (besides SAO) so highly that I doubt it'd help anyone decide what to watch first. :o: Personally though, I'd start with Steins;Gate or From the New World. :yes:
    Haha, indeed you have, I noticed that as I was reading I'm quite pleased to hear that you liked From The New World so much, as I hadn't actually heard much about that and I wasn't sure it was going to be anything interesting. Hunter x Hunter is, like you said, getting some great reviews, so maybe I'll pick that up sooner rather than later. And I did have Stein's Gate already planned as my first one

Interesting response to SAO then. It's not really something I'm interested in, but I thought I'd give it a go as it was so well received. Maybe I'll read a few more reviews before I consider that one then.

Thanks for the reply!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I've heard that a few times. Hard to tell which side is right though.

Hah, indeed! I would love to watch more of that, but sadly that doesn't seem like it'll happen any time soon. I'd read the manga, but I read the chapters I'd seen in the show and I didn't feel like it worked as well drawn as it did animated, so I'm enduring the long wait for more episodes :emo:
    I know your pain, the Attack On Titan manga is SO SLOW at the moment, I often skip pages...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yuuki)

Hey Yuuki From my favourites of the previous two years, I'd recommend:

Hunter x Hunter (still ongoing, but well worth getting on board with)
    Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
    From the New World
    Kyousogiga
    Aquarion EVOL
    Mirai Nikki

Hello, welcome to the AniSoc

I quite enjoy shoujo/jousei manga too, although I'm more of a shounen or BL fan - but I'd recommend:

Fushigi Yuugi
    Cardcaptor Sakura
    High School Debut
    Nineteen, Twenty-One
    Ouran High School Host Club
    Tokyo Crazy Paradise
    After School Nightmare

Danganronpa
    From The New World
    Hellsing Ultimate
    Hunter x Hunter (2011)
    Toradora
    Berserk is a classic for a reason, brilliant story and fantastically violent - but maybe try the three newer Golden Age movies if the older animation isn't your thing.

I enjoyed Danganronpa, but it does suffer from choppy direction and janky animation quality. The premise is still engaging and the show is fun - not a must see though.

From the New World is one of the very best shows in recent years - but it isn't everyone's cup of tea. It is exceptionally rare to find a show with such an evocative atmosphere and well plotted story. However the slow build up, experimental animation styles employed and subject matter did put many people off. I would definitely recommend trying it though, horror anime that actually work are a rare breed.

Hellsing Ultimate is just a very camp, very bloody romp. OTT, violent, great characters and just fun......if that is your kind of thing. The long wait between episodes killed a lot of my enthusiasm for the series, but that is a non issue for newcomers.

I can not sing the praises of Hunter x Hunter more - it has improved on the original anime series in nearly every way and just continues to get better as time goes on. Something of an achievement for a long running shounen show - definitely worth spending time getting into if you enjoy shounen shows in any capacity.

Steins;Gate is another stand out show from the last few years. Brilliantly memorable characters and a really interesting plotline - it just sucks you in and stays in your mind. Loved it.

I personally hated Sword Art Online, but it has plenty of fans. I found the characters dull and uninteresting - the male lead is basically a Marty Stu and the whole thing just felt like poorly put together fanfiction to me. Saying that the production values were superb and it does have many entertaining features. I just couldn't take it seriously and only watched it to the end out of morbid fascination to see how it would outdo itself each week.

Toradora is one of the better RomComs out there as the characters are actually well rounded and interesting to watch interact. It also has great production values and voice acting - it's one of the few recent JC Staff romcom's that I can actually recommend to people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caraniel)
    Hey Yuuki From my favourites of the previous two years, I'd recommend:

Hunter x Hunter (still ongoing, but well worth getting on board with)
    Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
    From the New World
    Kyousogiga
    Aquarion EVOL
    Mirai Nikki

Hello, welcome to the AniSoc

I quite enjoy shoujo/jousei manga too, although I'm more of a shounen or BL fan - but I'd recommend:

Fushigi Yuugi
    Cardcaptor Sakura
    High School Debut
    Nineteen, Twenty-One
    Ouran High School Host Club
    Tokyo Crazy Paradise
    After School Nightmare

Berserk is a classic for a reason, brilliant story and fantastically violent - but maybe try the three newer Golden Age movies if the older animation isn't your thing.

I enjoyed Danganronpa, but it does suffer from choppy direction and janky animation quality. The premise is still engaging and the show is fun - not a must see though.

From the New World is one of the very best shows in recent years - but it isn't everyone's cup of tea. It is exceptionally rare to find a show with such an evocative atmosphere and well plotted story. However the slow build up, experimental animation styles employed and subject matter did put many people off. I would definitely recommend trying it though, horror anime that actually work are a rare breed.

Hellsing Ultimate is just a very camp, very bloody romp. OTT, violent, great characters and just fun......if that is your kind of thing. The long wait between episodes killed a lot of my enthusiasm for the series, but that is a non issue for newcomers.

I can not sing the praises of Hunter x Hunter more - it has improved on the original anime series in nearly every way and just continues to get better as time goes on. Something of an achievement for a long running shounen show - definitely worth spending time getting into if you enjoy shounen shows in any capacity.

Steins;Gate is another stand out show from the last few years. Brilliantly memorable characters and a really interesting plotline - it just sucks you in and stays in your mind. Loved it.

I personally hated Sword Art Online, but it has plenty of fans. I found the characters dull and uninteresting - the male lead is basically a Marty Stu and the whole thing just felt like poorly put together fanfiction to me. Saying that the production values were superb and it does have many entertaining features. I just couldn't take it seriously and only watched it to the end out of morbid fascination to see how it would outdo itself each week.

Toradora is one of the better RomComs out there as the characters are actually well rounded and interesting to watch interact. It also has great production values and voice acting - it's one of the few recent JC Staff romcom's that I can actually recommend to people.
    i have watched card captor sakura and read ouran high. is fushigi yuugi in the same univeres as cardcaptor?

ReputationRep:
    i have watched card captor sakura and read ouran high. is fushigi yuugi in the same univeres as cardcaptor?
    No, Fushigi Yuugi is by a different author - Yuu Watase. Cardcaptor Sakura is by CLAMP who love their crossovers - probably most apparent in their massive crossover series' Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle and xxxHOLiC.

Fushigi Yuugi is probably Watase's biggest project as it has two completed series - the original Suzaku & Seiryuu arc and the spin-off Genbu arc. The original manga also has an anime adaptation which was fun.

ReputationRep:
    right ok... i confused it with tsubasa
    (Original post by caraniel)
    No, Fushigi Yuugi is by a different author - Yuu Watase. Cardcaptor Sakura is by CLAMP who love their crossovers - probably most apparent in their massive crossover series' Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle and xxxHOLiC.

Fushigi Yuugi is probably Watase's biggest project as it has two completed series - the original Suzaku & Seiryuu arc and the spin-off Genbu arc. The original manga also has an anime adaptation which was fun.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.