The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 6480
Original post by AngryJellyfish
A big part of the appeal of the Telford expo for me is meeting up with Aberanime members (mostly former members, these days), it's sort of an annual tradition for us all.

Ah, that makes sense. It's always a lot more fun going with friends who share the same interest as you, especially if it's a tradition. I didn't even factor the social aspect of it, even though it's probably the main reason the majority of people go. Reflexive of the fact that anime and manga has always been a closet hobby of mine. :tongue:
Just a question guys but how old are people here generally ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6483
Original post by Aiko

That's some loot. :tongue: As someone who doesn't buy any anime, manga or related merchandise, I've always felt that expos/conventions are somewhat wasted on me. I suppose you're going for the experience as well. For instance, when I went to the New York Comic Con, the talks were very interesting and justified the visit for me. I had no desire to buy anything as my interest in anime or manga doesn't really stretch beyond watching or reading either, and given that I can easily access everything online, it seems redundant to buy anything. I know it's a bad mindset to have and I appreciate that you're not buying something solely because you haven't seen or read it, you're buying it due to the sentiment of possessing a collection. Something tangible to validate your interest, so to speak.

As well as a bit of cosplay, I've bought a few figures, a couple of plushies and an art book (<3). Also a few little things like posters, badges (TWEWY BADGES! <3), shirts. I never go to the talks at conventions. I know that figures and anime merchandise tend to have a massive markup at expos, but you just can't help yourself when you get there ><

And I've wanted to buy posters too, but you always dig through boxes and boxes and it's all Haruhi or Death Note or Final Fantasy or whatever. There isn't even a lot of Eva. Well, I'm just talking about London MCM though. At that point I just feel that I would buy anything with one of my favourite characters on it just because it was there, regardless of quality.

A couple of times though I've vowed only to buy art books. Although I only own one - a Hoshino Lily Pingudrum art book - I really think they're wonderful. Even though I wish I could read all the Japanese comments. Official art books, not the crappy ones filled with bad fanart. They have smooth shiny pages and the art is so gorgeous you fall in love with the drawings so quickly. I guess that Pingudrum is a super artsy-type series though. I'd love to have a Gurren Lagann artbook.

The only anime/manga I own though are two volumes of Pokespe and a few movies. Actually Pokespe is the only manga I've read. I'm not really comfortable reading manga on a screen ><

I've been rewatching Jojo - which is not something I intended to do! I-I just opened up the first ep to watch the OP, and then... and then... well. I'm so very excited for Part 3 next season. Wish I had someone to watch it with.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6484
I tend to only buy physical anime and manga for series I particularly love - feel like I should give a little back since the UK market doesn't get much to start with. I have zero interest in merchandise though.....was tempted by a Nyanko-sensei plushie in Akihabara but it was fecking massive and I didn't have room. Aside from that moment of "OMG WANT!" I've no real interest, just pick up small things like the odd pin or keyring.

Love looking at artbooks, but they are so expensive I can never justify buying them.
Original post by Aiko
I had no desire to buy anything as my interest in anime or manga doesn't really stretch beyond watching or reading either, and given that I can easily access everything online, it seems redundant to buy anything. I know it's a bad mindset to have and I appreciate that you're not buying something solely because you haven't seen or read it, you're buying it due to the sentiment of possessing a collection. Something tangible to validate your interest, so to speak.

I feel really bad if I try and read manga online. Knowing that the mangaka has pretty much slaved away, cooped up all week working on it only for me to quickly skim over it in five minutes and give them nothing back just makes me feel so guilty. As a result I have nearly 400 volumes of manga. Yet even though I'm sure the people that make anime work just as hard, I don't feel bad watching anime online so I've spent pretty much no money on it even though I've watched quite a lot. It's strange...
Original post by TroyAndAbed
I feel really bad if I try and read manga online. Knowing that the mangaka has pretty much slaved away, cooped up all week working on it only for me to quickly skim over it in five minutes and give them nothing back just makes me feel so guilty. As a result I have nearly 400 volumes of manga. Yet even though I'm sure the people that make anime work just as hard, I don't feel bad watching anime online so I've spent pretty much no money on it even though I've watched quite a lot. It's strange...

^ That was pretty much my mindset until recently, when my manga collection outgrew my bedroom, so now I've switched to buying a mix of anime DVDs/Blurays (which take up less space) and emanga. :giggle: I still stick to the principle of never reading scanlations for licensed manga though, even though I'll download licensed anime without a second thought... very weird indeed, but glad to hear I'm not the only one. :p:
^ That was pretty much my mindset until recently, when my manga collection outgrew my bedroom, so now I've switched to buying a mix of anime DVDs/Blurays (which take up less space) and emanga. :giggle: I still stick to the principle of never reading scanlations for licensed manga though, even though I'll download licensed anime without a second thought... very weird indeed, but glad to hear I'm not the only one. :p:

I can relate to the problem of space... I've filled up my bookshelves so I'm starting to end up with piles of manga stacked up on the floor. I don't seem to be slowing down though - I've got a 10% off voucher for Book Depository which pretty much means a ridiculous amount of manga shall be bought. I agree with your principle - some things will never make it over here so scanlations are pretty much the only way for them to be enjoyed outside of Japan. The manga vs anime thing is strange but I'm glad someone else feels the same way.
I have tomorrow off, so (weather permitting) I'm hoping to watch those Winter season first eps I mentioned last week, minus D-Frag! since I saw it while at Aber, but with the addition of Noragami based on people's suggestions. :yes:
Reply 6489
Hello everyone :smile: I'm writing an EPQ on anime/manga fandom culture and I am seeking some views and opinions. I posted a thread about it, so if anyone is interested and has the time you can contribute if you wish http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2598363

Thanks again :h:
So last night I reached my 1,000th episode of anime :tongue: due to the ani' soc'.
I ended up finishing Fractale which was good fun and nice to be able to actually finish a series from weekly viewings. Monster was put on and it wasn't what I expected but I enjoyed it a fair bit. Eden of the East was put on despite people crying its rubbish, I throughly enjoyed the first episode and had been meaning to watch it anyway. Gosick was the let down of the night as I had no interest in the premises of it. Finally we had Puella Magi Madoka Magica which was good although we got warned the first 3 episodes having nothing to do with the rest of the series.
My my, KLK 19 was very good. Trigger have kept the ridiculous pace up, just like intended.
that MGS reference in ImoCho was just :awesome:

was just gona post news about this but looks like im a bit slow :p:

never seen DBZ and when Kai finished i was so disappointed they stopped after the Cell arc, so excited about this :nutcase:

Original post by Aiko

The latest episode of Chuunibyou was so adorable. Nice to see some much needed progression on the romantic front.

indeed, that scene was just so cute :pinch:

Original post by JWH
Yo people I admittedly pretty much never post in here but I actually have something anime related (sort of) I think some people might be interested in :woo:. Some/ all of you may already know of this game but it's J-stars victory vs

[video="youtube;iVHX4-9rpp4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVHX4-9rpp4[/video]

I only sadly heard of this the other day and now I really hope it comes to europe. It seems to be basically be a Shounen Jump version of smash bros just over a 3d map, much prettier, a lot more playable characters and possibly more chaotic. It's 4 player fighter game (which says something for me as I never get excited for fighters). Team up moves are possible and some of the attacks are large in scale. Which isn't surprising with the likes of Luffy and Goku being playable characters. But it looks to be a pure chaos and very fun fighting game so I really want to play it haha.

Though it has also got me wishing non shounen jump characters could have been put into a game like this like Edward Elric or Eren Jaeger. As seeing a titan fighting the likes of Luffy, Tsuna and many others would be so awesome.

ahh been following this news for a while :excited: but its going to be almost impossible for it to be localised cos of licensing issues :frown: gameplay looks like great fun and even though i only know like 10 characters think i might import it for my vita :mmm: its even got Chitoge from Nisekoi and Lala from To Love Ru :awesome:

yeah the thoughts of having non shounen jump characters in it battling it out :sexface:

:ditto:

I spent most of last week playing Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds. That's the only problem with my new 3DS, it's as addictive as anime, but I don't have time for both. :sadnod: :p:

Original post by vin
Been doing that myself for a long while.:ninja: The 3DS has lots of great titles. :smile: Would like to get the new Ace Attorney ... but being download only means no getting it off amazon cheaper.:huff: There's also the sequel to 999, Virtues Last Reward Ive been meaning to get eventually.:teeth:

:five: need to get Virtue's Last Reward too once I get around to getting those last 2 endings of 999 :beard: such a good game :coma: dug up my old DS which i havent touched for 3 years just so I could play the prequel :biggrin:

ive been playing the new Danganronpa game recently, almost at the end now i think, its pretty good, kinda like a mix of 999 and Ace Attorney :yep:

I was looking at Virtue's Last Reward yesterday, as well as the Harvest Moon titles, Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Tales Of The Abyss... I'll admit I barely looked into the other games besides Pokemon before buying the 3DS, but there's plenty of others I'm interested in now. :yes:

like this one? :yes:

Spoiler

(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6493
Original post by Numan786

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's in my profile, but 30. :sadnod:

Original post by MJasper
As well as a bit of cosplay, I've bought a few figures, a couple of plushies and an art book (<3). Also a few little things like posters, badges (TWEWY BADGES! <3), shirts. I never go to the talks at conventions. I know that figures and anime merchandise tend to have a massive markup at expos, but you just can't help yourself when you get there ><

And I've wanted to buy posters too, but you always dig through boxes and boxes and it's all Haruhi or Death Note or Final Fantasy or whatever. There isn't even a lot of Eva. Well, I'm just talking about London MCM though. At that point I just feel that I would buy anything with one of my favourite characters on it just because it was there, regardless of quality.

A couple of times though I've vowed only to buy art books. Although I only own one - a Hoshino Lily Pingudrum art book - I really think they're wonderful. Even though I wish I could read all the Japanese comments. Official art books, not the crappy ones filled with bad fanart. They have smooth shiny pages and the art is so gorgeous you fall in love with the drawings so quickly. I guess that Pingudrum is a super artsy-type series though. I'd love to have a Gurren Lagann artbook.

The only anime/manga I own though are two volumes of Pokespe and a few movies. Actually Pokespe is the only manga I've read. I'm not really comfortable reading manga on a screen ><

I've been rewatching Jojo - which is not something I intended to do! I-I just opened up the first ep to watch the OP, and then... and then... well. I'm so very excited for Part 3 next season. Wish I had someone to watch it with.

Yeah, the art books are the one thing I'd consider buying, especially given that I'm an artist and a designer by profession myself. It's definitely something I can appreciate. On other hand, I have a lot of art and design books (bought too many at Magma) that just take up space in my flat. I dislike clutter, especially when I don't have much room available to begin with. I actually think that's part of the reason why I'm reluctant to hoard for the sake of hoarding. Unless there's a practical use for what I'm buying, barring perhaps a signed copy of something, I just can't justify spending money on it.

Suffice to say, you definitely make the most of your time at expos and clearly go there to buy. :giggle:

Original post by caraniel
I tend to only buy physical anime and manga for series I particularly love - feel like I should give a little back since the UK market doesn't get much to start with. I have zero interest in merchandise though.....was tempted by a Nyanko-sensei plushie in Akihabara but it was fecking massive and I didn't have room. Aside from that moment of "OMG WANT!" I've no real interest, just pick up small things like the odd pin or keyring.

Love looking at artbooks, but they are so expensive I can never justify buying them.

Yeah, this is similar to myself. As I was saying to MJasper above, I'd probably opt for an art book for an anime or manga series I like a lot.

When I was younger, I used to frequent singings, often with a volume of the series (preferably the first or one that was released early) and queue up for hours. I always considered this an investment of my time. :tongue:

Original post by TroyAndAbed

Well, you'll be contributing more to the UK market (licensors) than Japan itself. I suppose you're indirectly supporting the studio or the manga artist/author by helping international sales. But yes, the sentiment is there and that's the main thing. I guess I should be more supportive of the industry. I just feel like there's better ways than simply buying stuff I don't really need. Maybe I'll look into donation opportunities. :redface:
Wish there was a kindle manga option. I'd so do that.

Ppl, please recommend me anime.

Find me something I can use to show what anime or manga I've seen/read plZ :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Numan786

Posted from TSR Mobile

Depends.
I started my degree September 2013, however, there are some people on here who have finished their degree a while back and have started their careers.

So, in short, some people in their teens, 20s, 30s etc...
Original post by keromedic

Ppl, please recommend me anime.

Find me something I can use to show what anime or manga I've seen/read plZ :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

There is MAL (My Anime List) which you can use to keep track of and rate the anime you have seen and it will provide you with recommended animes too. =)
Also, helps if we know what your into before we make recommendations. =l
Original post by Scienceisgood
There is MAL (My Anime List) which you can use to keep track of and rate the anime you have seen and it will provide you with recommended animes too. =)
Also, helps if we know what your into before we make recommendations. =l

Ooh lovely. I always feel embarrassed lol when I ask a question and the answer is quite obvious (my anime list :smile:

I've only really watched/read mainstream stuff that's long. So the first 10 that spring to mine are
Full Metal Alchemist brotherhood
Rurouni Kenshin
Mahou Negima Sensei
Ranma1/2
Inuyasha
Naruto
Bleach
FairyTale
Cardfight Vanguard
Flame of Recca

I have of course watched others and I've sadly forgotten the names of some that I found to be amazing. But as you can see I've only watched stuff that's "out of this world". Either through sci fi, magical powers or just abilities.
Ooh lovely. I always feel embarrassed lol when I ask a question and the answer is quite obvious (my anime list :smile:

I've only really watched/read mainstream stuff that's long. So the first 10 that spring to mine are
Full Metal Alchemist brotherhood
Rurouni Kenshin
Mahou Negima Sensei
Ranma1/2
Inuyasha
Naruto
Bleach
FairyTale
Cardfight Vanguard
Flame of Recca

I have of course watched others and I've sadly forgotten the names of some that I found to be amazing. But as you can see I've only watched stuff that's "out of this world". Either through sci fi, magical powers or just abilities.

You might like the following;

Soul Eater
Sword Art Online (First half is better than the second half)
Attack On Titan
Death Note
Heaven's Lost Property (If you don't mind the perviness, but is comedy gold)
Good Luck Girl
Black Butler (Set in Victorian England)
Highschool DXD (Again, if you don't mind the perviness) - If they removed the copious amounts of tits in it, it would actually be a very good anime, but, imo is bordering good but more along the lines of decent.
"Is this a zombie?" and "Is this a zombie? of the dead?" - Seasons 1 and 2 respectively, is quite awesome and does not contain the whole zombie eating brains thing at all, is basically about a kid who can't be killed after being brought back to life. =D

All have a sci-fi/fantasy/supernatural feel to them. =)
(edited 10 years ago)

Depends what type of Kindle you have - I have a Kindle Paperwhite and read plenty of manga on it, either bought from emanga.com or Amazon itself, or using scanlations with help from the handy Kindle Comic Converter. :yes: I think there's even more manga options available for the Kindle Fire tablets. :beard:

Speaking of which, I finished reading Earthian on Kindle yesterday - fantastic concept and great for the first three volumes, but the ending wasn't spectacular. :s:

To replace it on my reading list, I've (re)started Elemental Gelade (or Erementar Gerade as DMP call it, though I notice they've chosen not to call the sequel 'Frag of Brue Sky' :p:). I got about 12 volumes into this series years ago, before Tokyopop went bust, and was quite enjoying it, so I figured I'd buy the series again from the start in emanga form. I'll probably sell the old printed volumes at some point to clear some space. :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)

Latest