Turn on thread page Beta

The Anime Society 5: Tentacles For All! watch

Announcements
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by keromedic)
    I've a paperwhite 2 so I expect I can do what you do. Do you email the emanga manga to you kindle email? I just looked it up. I had no idea you could get the manga for kindle. Just wow, I'm so ignorant. I suppose it's still quicker looking up chapters online as they only have the complete books on Amazon but this is good.
    So do you pay for the scanlations? I'm just trying to be good you see but still be convenient.

Thanks for the Earthian suggestion.
    Ooh, this is cool .
    emanga files are downloaded from the website onto a computer, and can then be moved onto the Kindle when it's plugged in. A little less convenient than Amazon's wireless downloads, but since I don't have a mains adapter for mine I have to charge it using the computer anyway, so it works fine for me. Not sure whether you'd be able to download directly onto the device using the 'experimental browser', though, as I've not tried that. :beard:

Both Amazon and emanga just offer complete volumes, but since I've gotten used to buying printed volumes for years anyway, that suits me just fine. I don't pay for scanlations, and the Kindle Comic Converter is also free to download - my only (personal) rules are that I don't get scanlations for series that are licensed in English, and I always try to have at least one series on the go that I'm paying for. :yes: I tend to get full volumes for scanlations too; I've not tried it, but I imagine converting individual ~20 page chapters would take more time than it's worth, reading those online would probably be much more convenient. :p:

I think what I'm about to ask falls under this thread's category.
    There's a couple anime series with vague details that I remember. Is there a chance you'll be able to help me?
    No problem! Let me know as much as you can remember, and I'll try my best to figure out what the series are. And if I can't figure it out, chances are someone else can.
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by AngryJellyfish)
    emanga files are downloaded from the website onto a computer, and can then be moved onto the Kindle when it's plugged in. A little less convenient than Amazon's wireless downloads, but since I don't have a mains adapter for mine I have to charge it using the computer anyway, so it works fine for me. Not sure whether you'd be able to download directly onto the device using the 'experimental browser', though, as I've not tried that. :beard:

Both Amazon and emanga just offer complete volumes, but since I've gotten used to buying printed volumes for years anyway, that suits me just fine. I don't pay for scanlations, and the Kindle Comic Converter is also free to download - my only (personal) rules are that I don't get scanlations for series that are licensed in English, and I always try to have at least one series on the go that I'm paying for. :yes: I tend to get full volumes for scanlations too; I've not tried it, but I imagine converting individual ~20 page chapters would take more time than it's worth, reading those online would probably be much more convenient. :p:
    Lovely. Thanks for the help. Do emanga offer the files already in the kindle format? I wasn't referring to teh exp browser. You can sync files that you email to your kindle email using whispersync but I guess transfering it over the cable is simpler! Esp with the Ctrl+A option

Thanks. I've not gotten used to it :P. I know you probably find something like Naruto to be too mainstream but if you were a fan, would you actually wait for new volumes? A little question about that actually. For manga series that get a new chapter every week, how often are volumes usually released?
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    No problem! Let me know as much as you can remember, and I'll try my best to figure out what the series are. And if I can't figure it out, chances are someone else can.
    Thank you so much!!
    1)I've read one volume of this series back when I lived in Trinidad. Iirc, it starts with a person hooked up to a machine the person escapes into the slums and is taken into a girl who uses a whip as a weapon. I think he faints initially and he awakens to her sharp questioning. He doesn't remember who he is and doesn't even know his name. The rest of the volume revolves around their escapades and quests to find out his identity. I believe he displays some psychic abilities and that is the biggest clue.
    It turns out that he's the escaped clone of the deceased emperor of the Land who possessed strong abilities. I'm unsure as to what the clone's powers max out to but in the 1st volume, they pale in comparison to the deceased emperor. He has a different personality and a lot of time is spent trying to convince the royal peeps that he is his own person. I also believe he has a bit of an altercation with a nemesis of the emperor.
    2)This was an anime I watched from start to finish some years ago. I'm 99% sketchy about the details but I do remember that it takes place in the sky in an airship, of sorts.
    3)You probably won't be able to help me with this. I remember that it was quite battle based and the battles occurred in arenas and one of the character's abilities involved chains. It was an anime.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Lovely. Thanks for the help. Do emanga offer the files already in the kindle format? I wasn't referring to teh exp browser. You can sync files that you email to your kindle email using whispersync but I guess transfering it over the cable is simpler! Esp with the Ctrl+A option

Thanks. I've not gotten used to it :P. I know you probably find something like Naruto to be too mainstream but if you were a fan, would you actually wait for new volumes? A little question about that actually. For manga series that get a new chapter every week, how often are volumes usually released?
    emanga let you choose your own format - I usually go for MOBI for my Kindle Paperwhite 2, but the site also offers PDF, EPUB, PRC and CBZ, since they aim to make their manga available on any device. :yes:

I've never tried reading weekly releases, mostly because virtually all manga licensed in English gets published as printed volumes, and I've only recently started reading manga digitally. Everything I'm reading on Kindle at the moment is a completed series (I prefer those since I can read at my own pace), so I've never had to worry about new chapters. As for whether I would read weekly releases if I did pick up an ongoing manga, probably not, since old habits die hard, and I've got so many other series on the go that I'm never short of things to read while I wait for the volumes. :p:

I'm not entirely sure how often weekly series get compiled into volumes in Japan, but if the English release dates for Naruto are anything to go by, they release a new one every three months. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone here watched buddy complex? How do you guys find it?
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    emanga let you choose your own format - I usually go for MOBI for my Kindle Paperwhite 2, but the site also offers PDF, EPUB, PRC and CBZ, since they aim to make their manga available on any device. :yes:

I've never tried reading weekly releases, mostly because virtually all manga licensed in English gets published as printed volumes, and I've only recently started reading manga digitally. Everything I'm reading on Kindle at the moment is a completed series (I prefer those since I can read at my own pace), so I've never had to worry about new chapters. As for whether I would read weekly releases if I did pick up an ongoing manga, probably not, since old habits die hard, and I've got so many other series on the go that I'm never short of things to read while I wait for the volumes. :p:

I'm not entirely sure how often weekly series get compiled into volumes in Japan, but if the English release dates for Naruto are anything to go by, they release a new one every three months. :yes:
    Oh thanks. I'm now watching PIKO on youtube :awesome:. Know him?

How good and patient of you!!! I know I sound like an annoying western fan but though I'd love to watch loads of new series, with TV and binge watching new stuff, watching regular new anime would make me never work. I procrastinate too much already. Plus there's TSR, which is addictive. Are you on any anime forums? I still need to finish DC to the current stuff. I might start there with the amazon volumes. I cba watching the hundreds of anime. I'm onlike episode 250 and there's like 400 more o.O.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Thank you so much!!
    1)I've read one volume of this series back when I lived in Trinidad. Iirc, it starts with a person hooked up to a machine the person escapes into the slums and is taken into a girl who uses a whip as a weapon. I think he faints initially and he awakens to her sharp questioning. He doesn't remember who he is and doesn't even know his name. The rest of the volume revolves around their escapades and quests to find out his identity. I believe he displays some psychic abilities and that is the biggest clue.
    It turns out that he's the escaped clone of the deceased emperor of the Land who possessed strong abilities. I'm unsure as to what the clone's powers max out to but in the 1st volume, they pale in comparison to the deceased emperor. He has a different personality and a lot of time is spent trying to convince the royal peeps that he is his own person. I also believe he has a bit of an altercation with a nemesis of the emperor.
    2)This was an anime I watched from start to finish some years ago. I'm 99% sketchy about the details but I do remember that it takes place in the sky in an airship, of sorts.
    3)You probably won't be able to help me with this. I remember that it was quite battle based and the battles occurred in arenas and one of the character's abilities involved chains. It was an anime.
    Hmm, despite all the info you've given on #1, it's not ringing any bells with me. Have to admit I've not read anywhere near as much manga as I've watched anime, and if the series isn't UK licensed or adapted into anime, chances are I won't have even heard the title before.

#2, airships immediately make me think of Last Exile, though there are probably a lot more series out there that feature them. :giggle:

As for #3, haven't a clue, sorry.

(Original post by Aiko)
    :desu:
    (Original post by caraniel)
    :waffo:
    *calls for reinforcements*
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    Hmm, despite all the info you've given on #1, it's not ringing any bells with me. Have to admit I've not read anywhere near as much manga as I've watched anime, and if the series isn't UK licensed or adapted into anime, chances are I won't have even heard the title before.
    Fair enough. I've asked on anime forums before so I'm beginning to think it'll be a nag that'll never be itched (sorry for the horrible metaphor). Thanks for having a think though.
    #2, airships immediately make me think of Last Exile, though there are probably a lot more series out there that feature them. :giggle:
    . I think there's a civilisation as normal on earth and these airships are in some type of competition and the protagonist of the series is on earth (as in ground not the planet) and trains so he can join a particular crew?
    That's understandable. I myself don't remember that well . It must be fairly popular if it was on western TV though but I simply can't remember a plot.

Nice emoticons

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much!!

:wavey:

Not sure if I'm going to be much use I'm afraid.

#1 isn't ringing any bells with me, but I'm not really the biggest manga reader, sticking to long running shounen series, short shoujo and BL mostly.

#2 Only shows that are coming to mind are Last Exile or X'amd.....don't think I've seen many airship shows now that I'm thinking about it. Was is kinda steampunky or more sci-fi? I can think of loads more mecha shows with a flying capital ship that may fit the bill.

#3 Thinking Yu Yu Hakusho for this one. A character in Hunter x Hunter also employs chains as his main weapon.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Thank you so much!!
    Hmm, the only thing that comes to mind for 1 is Neji or To Terra, neither of which fit your description perfectly.

For 2, Last Exile, Xam'd, Escaflowne and Steamboy come to mind. Miyazaki of Ghibli has always had an interest in aviation, so many of his films feature it such as Nausicaa and Castle in the Sky.

For 3, Yu Yu Hakusho and Hunter x Hunter fit the description, and are both from the same mangaka.

ReputationRep:
    Ok so nisekoi and d frag are great so far and are enjoyable plus the main characters seem to be likeable.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by caraniel)
    :wavey:

Not sure if I'm going to be much use I'm afraid.

#1 isn't ringing any bells with me, but I'm not really the biggest manga reader, sticking to long running shounen series, short shoujo and BL mostly.

#2 Only shows that are coming to mind are Last Exile or X'amd.....don't think I've seen many airship shows now that I'm thinking about it. Was is kinda steampunky or more sci-fi? I can think of loads more mecha shows with a flying capital ship that may fit the bill.

#3 Thinking Yu Yu Hakusho for this one. A character in Hunter x Hunter also employs chains as his main weapon.
    (Original post by Aiko)
    Hmm, the only thing that comes to mind for 1 is Neji or To Terra, neither of which fit your description perfectly.

For 2, Last Exile, Xam'd, Escaflowne and Steamboy come to mind. Miyazaki of Ghibli has always had an interest in aviation, so many of his films feature it such as Nausicaa and Castle in the Sky.

For 3, Yu Yu Hakusho and Hunter x Hunter fit the description, and are both from the same mangaka.
    Thanks guys. I shall reply later. I'm exhausted. Later as in tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    Onizuka :adore: hes got the best facial expressions ever :mmm: ive been rewatching GTO the last few days, the nostalgia :moon: so funny and inspiring at times :yep: and that soundtrack :cool:

just watched that beauty contest ep :cry2:

Miyabi is such a ***** ugh :p:

ReputationRep:
    Its been years but I'm still annoyed that Gin died.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eugenius 8)

ahh been following this news for a while :excited: but its going to be almost impossible for it to be localised cos of licensing issues gameplay looks like great fun and even though i only know like 10 characters think i might import it for my vita :mmm: its even got Chitoge from Nisekoi and Lala from To Love Ru :awesome:

yeah the thoughts of having non shounen jump characters in it battling it out :sexface:

:five: need to get Virtue's Last Reward too once I get around to getting those last 2 endings of 999 :beard: such a good game :coma: dug up my old DS which i havent touched for 3 years just so I could play the prequel
    It is one of the games I am keeping a eye on along with Persona 5 (I want this game so badly :cry: ), Kindgom Hearts 3 and a few others. I don't have a vita and the PS3 is damn region locked so I be screwed if it isn't release in europe :sad:

I yesterday downloaded the demo for Virtue's Last reward. I haven't played it yet though as I also got the Default Bravery demo plus I have been playing Devil Survivor 2 (very difficult but rather good). So haven't had time to give it a go.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by LadyUchiha)
    Has anyone here watched buddy complex? How do you guys find it?
    Yeah, I'm currently up to date. It's ok, it's turning out to be what you'd expect from Sunrise. It has decent animation (and general all round production), fairly interesting plot and some likeable characters, although neither is original or groundbreaking.

I'll probably keep it on as I like mecha and it's what Sunrise does best, most of the time, anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JWH)
    It is one of the games I am keeping a eye on along with Persona 5 (I want this game so badly :cry: ), Kindgom Hearts 3 and a few others. I don't have a vita and the PS3 is damn region locked so I be screwed if it isn't release in europe :sad:

I yesterday downloaded the demo for Virtue's Last reward. I haven't played it yet though as I also got the Default Bravery demo plus I have been playing Devil Survivor 2 (very difficult but rather good). So haven't had time to give it a go.
    I thought the PS3 was region free? Nintendo get so much stick for being region-locked that I'm sure that's the case.

Had a 10% off voucher for Book Depository & ended up ordering 37 volumes of manga...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TroyAndAbed)
    I thought the PS3 was region free? Nintendo get so much stick for being region-locked that I'm sure that's the case.

Had a 10% off voucher for Book Depository & ended up ordering 37 volumes of manga...
    Ah wait it is it's the games that aren't. So a non-pal american version of a game will work on a europe ps3. So even though it's region free they make region formatted games :wtf: . But that is good either way

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JWH)

hmm i thought cos the PS3 is region free means they can play any region game? ive heard a lot of people are going to import the game so i thought it would work on their NA/EU PS3's :hmmmm:

ah yes Persona 5, i dont own a PS3 but might buy one just to play this game :p: or i could wait a while for Persona 5 Golden to come out :laugh:

i might wait until the summer before getting any more games on my vita, i have enough games to play atm, just bought Atelier Totori Plus in the sale and i dont have a lot of time to play them anyways cos of assignments/mid-terms :sadnod:

ReputationRep:
    Just thinking but, which art do you guys prefer;

The Original Fairy Tail animation art;

Spoiler:
    Show
    Name:  Fairy-Tail-the-fairy-tail-guild-16502664-1023-572.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  362.7 KB

Or the new Fairy Tail animation art:

Spoiler:
    Show
    Name:  A15799-3268177219.1393359534.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  127.4 KB

I think this art is going to take some getting used to to say the least. =l
    I will admit though, Laxus looks better in that pic than he does in the usual episodes, he looks a lot stronger. =l

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.