Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Anime Society 5: Tentacles For All! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Giant killing isn't too bad actually, I feared a lot worse from a sports series. Although I must admit I severly doubt anything the lead character does would work in actual football :lol: which is a shame really.

EDIT: I stumbled across a random standalone OVA from 1989 while browsing the shoujo tag it happened to be football related so I end up donating ten minutes of my time. It wasn't all bad though despite its two star ranking: Anoko ni 1000%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nixonsjellybeans)
    Although I must admit I severly doubt anything the lead character does would work in actual football :lol: which is a shame really.
    I saw an episode of a football anime called Captain Tsubasa once. One of the characters took a shot and the goalkeeper was holding the ball out of the goal with his hands, with the striker's foot still touching the ball on the other side and the ball still spinning. So one of the striker's teammates jumped in the air and joined hands with the striker, adding his momentum to the force behind the ball, pushing it through the goalie's hands into the net. It was amazing. Not 'amazing' as in 'good', but 'amazing' as in 'I was left amazed'.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Giant Killing pretty much tops my list of anime that need sequels. I really enjoyed it, but the lack of any closure or sign of a second series is a real shame. I may have to check out the manga, if it's scanlated. :beard:

ReputationRep:
    Anyone currently watching Yowamushi Pedal or Ace of Diamonds?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Pelly360)
    Anyone currently watching Yowamushi Pedal or Ace of Diamonds?
    I'm watching the former, and really like it so far. :yes:
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Anyone watching Saki: The Nationals? :unsure: . I reeeeeeaaaaallllyyyy want to, but my exams are in the way . How is it?

ReputationRep:
    Can't believe i've never watched Cardcaptor Sakura in my life, could have sworn I had seen bits as a kid but after watching the first few episodes I can safely say I haven't

ReputationRep:
    Same here! My sister told me that we used to watch Cardcaptors when we were kids, but then I watched a few episodes and don't remember it at all :P
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    I watched a few episodes of Cardcaptors back when I didn't know any better... thinking back on all the stuff they edited... :yucky:

Would definitely be up for watching the unedited, subbed Cardcaptor Sakura, and have been meaning to for a few years, but I say that about a lot of series. :o: One day, I'll clear my backlog!

ReputationRep:
    Currently rewatching Gundam Wing for like the 7th time......still love this show.

Also started writing my spring season preview.......my arm fecking hurts like hell.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by caraniel)
    Also started writing my spring season preview.......my arm fecking hurts like hell.
    Haha, I've booked next Thursday off work to do the same, I'm hoping to throw it together in a day as I've done for the past couple. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryJellyfish)
    Haha, I've booked next Thursday off work to do the same, I'm hoping to throw it together in a day as I've done for the past couple. :p:
    Think I've spent a week so far......but I've only been doing an hour or two here and there. Have all the information and the blog post formatted now, just need to write opinions and hit publish.......hopefully finish today.....maybe.

ReputationRep:
    Guys.... anyone here watched Ao no Exorcist, Blood Lad or To aru Kagaku no Railgun?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Judge Jasel)
    Guys.... anyone here watched Ao no Exorcist, Blood Lad or To aru Kagaku no Railgun?
    Only the latter two - personally, I didn't like Blood Lad at all, and found Railgun just average (if very well animated).

ReputationRep:

Woohoo finally done~!

(Original post by Judge Jasel)
    The Ao no Exorcist anime was very solid until it went all anime original and random in the final quarter - completely shot itself in the foot. Manga is much better.

Blood Lad I found disappointingly dull and pointless - very lacklustre adaptation.

Been avoiding the Raildex stuff ever since I suffered through two seasons of the awful Index. I hear Railgun is much better, but still won't watch it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caraniel)

Woohoo finally done~!
    I love reading stuff like this which is essentially a highly detailed ramble Makes it so much more easier to decide upon what to watch as well! Thanks

I watched a few episodes of Cardcaptors back when I didn't know any better... thinking back on all the stuff they edited... :yucky:

Would definitely be up for watching the unedited, subbed Cardcaptor Sakura, and have been meaning to for a few years, but I say that about a lot of series. :o: One day, I'll clear my backlog!
    Cardcaptors sounds pretty disgusting tbh, makes me glad I didn't catch any when I was younger.

Looking forward to your season preview as per usual good sir

ReputationRep:
    Can't believe i've never watched Cardcaptor Sakura in my life, could have sworn I had seen bits as a kid but after watching the first few episodes I can safely say I haven't

(Original post by Pelly360)
    Same here! My sister told me that we used to watch Cardcaptors when we were kids, but then I watched a few episodes and don't remember it at all :P
    Cardcaptor Sakura was shortened drastically to the one we watched, Cardcaptors, as children.

Which is why it doesn't seem familiar at first. I think it was to make it appeal to both genders instead of just girls.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by perrytheplatypus)
    Cardcaptor Sakura was shortened drastically to the one we watched, Cardcaptors, as children.

Which is why it doesn't seem familiar at first. I think it was to make it appeal to both genders instead of just girls.
    Yeah it still didn't ring any bells though I can safetly say I hadn't seen any before.

Luckily I can't think of many other instances of shows being butchered like this
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Yeah it still didn't ring any bells though I can safetly say I hadn't seen any before.

Luckily I can't think of many other instances of shows being butchered like this
    Warriors of the Wind springs to mind... not even Ghibli is sacred. :no:

ReputationRep:
    Warriors of the Wind springs to mind... not even Ghibli is sacred. :no:
    Ah I remember hearing about that from some podcast made in 2009. The guys who saw it on TV sounded scarred for life :yes:

EDIT: I just watched the worst rated anime on MAL (also made by the worst production company on MAL). No it's not Mars of Destruction but rather Tenkuu Danzai Skelter Heaven made by Idea Factory. Not surprisingly its only a standalone OVA and is quite bad actually :lol: Although if you have 19 minutes to kill then why not waste them on this pile of tosh

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.