Turn on thread page Beta

The Anime Society 5: Tentacles For All! watch

ReputationRep:
    Endings that I've watched so far:
    Kill la Kill > Space Brothers > Silver Spoon > Samurai Flamenco
    I don't know if Space Brothers really counts since it's going to be continued and oh gosh I miss it already. It really started in Spring 2012 huh. Ohh Mu-chan~

Man... I don't have anybody to watch Jojo with :C
    I guess I'll be shouting and cheering all on my own. Feels sad.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    I somehow managed to not post anything here for a week... don't know why, my electricity and internet are both fine, and it's not as though I've not been watching anime and reading manga. :p:

I've finished most of what I was watching this season (Kill la Kill, Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shítai! Ren, Noragami, Space Brothers - didn't see that one coming :zomg:, Golden Time, Hamatora, Samurai Flamenco, Witch Craft Works and Phi Brain S3) - thoughts will be on my blog tomorrow if all goes well. Shame to see most of those series end, but with so many interesting new ones lined up for next season, having all these spaces in my watching list in need of filling up is far from a bad thing.

Similarly to Aiko, I've taken this quiet inter-season period as an opportunity to get up to date with shows I've not been watching weekly... though in my case it was only the ones I dropped mid-season, Space Dandy and Nobunagun. Now that I've caught up with them, all I can say is that I definitely made the right decision dropping them when I did - their second halves were bearable when marathoned, but certainly nothing special. I've still got their final episodes to come, as well.

Space Dandy and Nobunagun seem like Top 50 material in comparison to another show I'm currently forcing myself through though - Hidan no Aria. IT IS TERRIBLE. :mad: I would have definitely dropped it by now if I wasn't watching it on DVD... my rule is that if I've paid money for a series, I will finish it. Yet another J.C. Staff anime featuring a tsundere loli voiced by Kugimiya Rie, with some half-assed action/fantasy premise to disguise the fact that it's just a painful ecchi harem-fest. The plot sucks, the comedy isn't funny, and it doesn't even have the high animation quality that other similar J.C. Staff shows have going for them (not that nice animation alone would change my opinion on it). At least it's short. :s:

Manga-wise, the vast majority of what I read is still on Kindle, either bought or scanlated. In addition to Elemental Gelade (nowhere near as good as I remember it being when I first read it circa 2008 :s:) and Freesia (very good) which I mentioned before, I've picked up Oedo wa Nemuranai! (strange pacing, but interesting characters and an intriguing plot) and am hoping to start Sakura-Gari later today.

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone reading God of Highschool. If you really like to read a manga with a lot of fight scenes or action I recommend picking it up (It's also in colour )
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by AngryJellyfish)
    I've finished most of what I was watching this season (Kill la Kill, Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shítai! Ren, Noragami, Space Brothers - didn't see that one coming :zomg:, Golden Time, Hamatora, Samurai Flamenco, Witch Craft Works and Phi Brain S3) - thoughts will be on my blog tomorrow if all goes well. Shame to see most of those series end, but with so many interesting new ones lined up for next season, having all these spaces in my watching list in need of filling up is far from a bad thing.

Similarly to Aiko, I've taken this quiet inter-season period as an opportunity to get up to date with shows I've not been watching weekly... though in my case it was only the ones I dropped mid-season, Space Dandy and Nobunagun. Now that I've caught up with them, all I can say is that I definitely made the right decision dropping them when I did - their second halves were bearable when marathoned, but certainly nothing special. I've still got their final episodes to come, as well.

Space Dandy and Nobunagun seem like Top 50 material in comparison to another show I'm currently forcing myself through though - Hidan no Aria. IT IS TERRIBLE. :mad: I would have definitely dropped it by now if I wasn't watching it on DVD... my rule is that if I've paid money for a series, I will finish it. Yet another J.C. Staff anime featuring a tsundere loli voiced by Kugimiya Rie, with some half-assed action/fantasy premise to disguise the fact that it's just a painful ecchi harem-fest. The plot sucks, the comedy isn't funny, and it doesn't even have the high animation quality that other similar J.C. Staff shows have going for them (not that nice animation alone would change my opinion on it). At least it's short. :s:
    Funnily enough, Space Dandy and Nobunagun are the two I've stalled on; the former because it didn't live up to expectations and the latter because I prioritised others over it. Seems I haven't missed much. I'm still disappointed by Space Dandy. On paper, it should have been great. :sadnod:

Edit: On another note, I've now returned from Japan, arriving on Friday. I'm still recovering from jet lag and made the fatal mistake of sleeping for much of today. I'm wide awake and it's 7:14pm… Anyway, as usual, I always try to take pictures with my phone that might be of interest to people here while I'm in Japan. This time, despite my immobility, I paid a visit to the Kyoto International Manga Museum, which was very interesting for me, but conversely very boring for Luke, my husband.

Here's some pictures:

Spoiler:
    Show

The computer had some basic program that allowed you to create your own manga, which was amusing for a few minutes.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sad that you guys don't like Space Dandy. I've only watched up to episode 9 (the plants one) but I thought that ep was great.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by MJasper)
    I'm sad that you guys don't like Space Dandy. I've only watched up to episode 9 (the plants one) but I thought that ep was great.
    Of the 12 episodes I've watched, only episodes 4 and 12 really stood out for me, with the rest ranging from average/boring to outright painful to watch. It doesn't help that I'm not a huge fan of episodic anime series to begin with, and I don't particularly like the humour, nor have I warmed to the characters. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Of the 12 episodes I've watched, only episodes 4 and 12 really stood out for me, with the rest ranging from average/boring to outright painful to watch. It doesn't help that I'm not a huge fan of episodic anime series to begin with, and I don't particularly like the humour, nor have I warmed to the characters. :dontknow:
    I find episodic anime rather painful to be honest. Its great casual TV watching don't get me wrong but it sacrifices extended story lines.

ReputationRep:
    Finally got around to watching Kami nomi (The World God only Knows). It keeps getting better and better ! Just started Season 2

Plus lots of new airing shows that just ended I just have to watch (e.g. Kill la kill, Golden Time...etc) but can't because exam revision :'( gaah

ReputationRep:
    anyone here into Yu Yu Hakusho?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I've seen the first 15 - 20 episodes of Yu Yu. It seems interesting, but I've just not found the time to watch the rest. I prefer Togashi's later work, Hunter x Hunter. I saw that one first, but I noticed when watching Yu Yu recently, that he used similar character types in both anime - Hiei corresponds to Killua, Kurama to Kurapica, and Kuwabara to Leorio.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Riivus)
    I've seen the first 15 - 20 episodes of Yu Yu. It seems interesting, but I've just not found the time to watch the rest. I prefer Togashi's later work, Hunter x Hunter. I saw that one first, but I noticed when watching Yu Yu recently, that he used similar character types in both anime - Hiei corresponds to Killua, Kurama to Kurapica, and Kuwabara to Leorio.
    i've never actually seen Hunter x Hunter, i love Yu Yu though so maybe i should give it a try

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AKWxxx)
    i've never actually seen Hunter x Hunter, i love Yu Yu though so maybe i should give it a try

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'd be a little biased if trying to convince you, as it's my favourite anime. One of the things I love about it is that other than the main characters being the same, each arc in the anime is vastly different from the rest! They can vary from lighthearted and cheerful to very dark. So I'd highly recommend it, especially if you love Yu Yu (you may appreciate HxH even more than I do).

ReputationRep:
    So far away...

http://www.animenewsnetwork.co.uk/ne...tan-characters

ReputationRep:
    I somehow managed to not post anything here for a week... don't know why, my electricity and internet are both fine, and it's not as though I've not been watching anime and reading manga. :p:

Manga-wise, the vast majority of what I read is still on Kindle, either bought or scanlated. In addition to Elemental Gelade (nowhere near as good as I remember it being when I first read it circa 2008 :s:) and Freesia (very good) which I mentioned before, I've picked up Oedo wa Nemuranai! (strange pacing, but interesting characters and an intriguing plot) and am hoping to start Sakura-Gari later today.
    I wish I had dropped chunni because they fuxking killed that show this season.

Also I'm just waiting for exams to finish and by then there's should be like 8 episodes of fairy tail aired to watch

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Numan786)
    I wish I had dropped chunni because they fuxking killed that show this season.
    Meh, I definitely preferred the first season (more fun 'battle' scenes :p:), but personally I'd still rate Chuunibyou Ren one of the best new series of the Winter season. It's close between that and Love Song of a Certain Pilot for me. :yes:

On to the Spring season, though... the first eps of Akuma no Riddle and WIXOSS should be out later! :excited: I've already got Majin Bone downloaded, but can't see that making my list for the season. :nah:

ReputationRep:
    Got together with a few friends last night and watched a chunk of anime
    *8 episodes of Gurren Lagann
    *1 episode of Space Dandy
    *5 episodes of Ben-To

Ben-To was quite good actually so I may end up watching it

ReputationRep:
    those bentos in Ben-To look so damn good :sogood: :coma: :drool: might watch it again just for those bento scenes :dice:

havent really been watching much anime lately, been playing Virtue's Last Reward instead :ninja:

ahh i did finish Chuuni Ren, not as good as the first season especially the ending but still enjoyed it a lot :yep:
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    Hey y'all.
    (Original post by flou_fboco2)
    x

ReputationRep:
    hey kero
    watched anything good lately?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    I'm (impatiently) waiting for WIXOSS to download so I can make a start on the new anime season. :excited: I just hope it's as good as the trailer makes it out to be.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.